PDA

View Full Version : I can't do a neat English braid. Help please

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hello everyone :waving:

I feel abit silly :o

For years I never been able to do a nice straight English braid. It goes are squiggly somehow. It starts off perfect but when I bring my hair forward to braid the rest it goes all stupid and not straight.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2766&pictureid=68646

What I am doing wrong? :confused::o

Thank you :flower:

Peter
April 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Make sure to twist the braid when you bring it in front of your shoulder. What I do is bring the braid in front and keep braiding sideways/outward. This way, you can make sure the braid won't twist. After a few more crossovers, I start braiding downward.

I hope I explained that correctly.

spidermom
April 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
At your length, I would braid as far down behind my neck as I could, then bend forward and finish with the braid hanging toward the floor. Give that a try. Always keep it firmly in mind what has to happen next because it will feel different with your hair in a different direction, whether you try the method I suggested or continue bringing it out to the side to finish. It looks like what happened above is that you were crossing each side OVER the middle strand until you brought it over to the side, then you reversed direction.

Laylah
April 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
It looks like you just pulled a strand in the wrong direction...so I'd suggest you try hanging a mirror opposite to your big bathroom mirror, and braid that way so you can see what you're doing. Eventually you'll get the hang of it!

deviantkitten
April 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Or you can try "braiding up" instead of pulling it forward. This way you won't have to switch your hands like when you pull the braid over your shoulder to finish. Just pull your braid up, and braid to towards the ceiling, for lack of a better explanation LOL
beautiful Hair accessories, btw!

janeytilllie
April 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you everyone for your braiding tips they have all helped :flower:

I can now after all this time do a neat braid :hifive: It's no longer a squiggly flippy braid :D

Thanks again :)

spidermom
April 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad you got the advice you needed.

Pallas
April 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I was going to suggest flipping it over your head and continue upside down -- works for me

Really glad you succeeded! Congrats :P

GoddesJourney
April 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Or you can try "braiding up" instead of pulling it forward. This way you won't have to switch your hands like when you pull the braid over your shoulder to finish. Just pull your braid up, and braid to towards the ceiling, for lack of a better explanation LOL
beautiful Hair accessories, btw!

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQdT51iI-4Q

For the OP, I'm glad you figured it out.

Johanna
April 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Yay for straight braids! I used to do the same thing when my hair was shorter. Id bring it over my shoulder and pull it too tight.

Tornerose
April 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I had the same problem too. Finally it just clicked and I figured out how to make them straight, just a couple of months ago :D
But I don't think I'm able to explain it.

I'm glad you foud out though :D

Purdy Bear
April 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I had this very probelm when I learnt to braid as a kid. Its when you move from braiding behind to braiding over your shoulder.

I think its when we try to carry on braiding looking at the braid which also interferres with your hands. I think Grandma just said to close my eyes to solve the problem.