PDA

View Full Version : Question and potential start of 2 wk rule

marikamt
April 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
So I joined here at the end of July last year and have only had 2 very, very slight trims (dustings, really) or less than 1/4 inch total....... my hair was doing fine until my last dusting (February) and all of a sudden, I have what seems to me a TON of splits.... they are not huge, maybe a millimeter or 2 in length (a few are a little longer, but not much)

So, my question is, was this caused my not getting a larger trim OR could the girl I went to have had dull scissors that caused this?

I am thinking about getting 1 inch trimmed off to clean up all the ends..... kinda depressing though, because I am really, really close to my goal (about an inch), but I do want my hair to be healthy

thoughts/ opinions?

patience
April 14th, 2010, 03:34 PM
My first thought was dull scissors.

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
It's hard to tell what caused it, but if you do have splits it probably would be best to trim. How much you trim is up to you. I trimmed two inches recently and whilst I feel it's set me back a lot, my ends do look (and feel) a lot nicer. :)

marikamt
April 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM

That was my thought too....... so how do I guarantee if I do get a trim, that it doesn't happen again????

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
That was my thought too....... so how do I guarantee if I do get a trim, that it doesn't happen again????

In my experience as a ex stylist" the answer would be no... :(

If you go and they havent had their scissors sharpened, there isnt much you can do.. sometimes THEY don even know :(

sometimes you can tell if they are dull by how it feels when they start snipping, like pulling or if the hair bends before it is cut.. (this is hard to see the bending before they get to the front tho)

Sorry to hear it turned out bad last time..

Good luck finding some sharper shears :D

P.T

marikamt
April 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
well that just stinks.......

I had been going to el cheapo places since I decided to grow my hair since I wasn't getting it 'styled'... the truth is, they really listened and didn't take too much off.... but now w/ the dulls scissors thing, I am wondering if it would be worth going to a 'better' place... would a 'higher-end' stylist be more apt to have sharp scissors?

countryhopper
April 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Could you buy a pair of new scissors especially for dustings and do it yourself or have a trusted friend do it for you?

It's the only thing I caan think of to ensure the scissors are razor sharp.

Orchid
April 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
That is something that isn't so uncommon. Especially when you get it done at a place that has no idea how to treat long hair. I spent a year or more looking for someone to do my hair and finally someone at a small salon. I waited a LOOONG time to go and get that done, but it was worth it and I love my stylist. I also knew another girl who bought her own scissors and took them to salons for the stylist to use. You can also talk to friends and long hair ladies in your area and get word of mouth suggestions.

I learned that not only does it make you feel good to compliment someone with beautiful hair, but of COURSE they feel good. PLUS they might offer info. That is EXACTLY what lead me to my stylist and I couldn't be happier with who does my hair. So try talking to some ladies you see with killer locks and maybe they know someone who can care for long hair properly.

jera
April 15th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm not completely convinced it's the scissors. What about your environment. Has it been a cold winter where you are with dry crisp air? That could cause excessive hair dryness and splits. :)

Orchid
April 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm not completely convinced it's the scissors. What about your environment. Has it been a cold winter where you are with dry crisp air? That could cause excessive hair dryness and splits. :)

This is a good point. Not only can the cold air change how your hair behaves, but exposure to heaters can zap moisture out of your skin and hair. Not only that, but any scarf, hat or wool winter wear can rob hair and skin of moisture.

Pixna
April 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Why not do your own trims? I've had great success using Feye's self-trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) for years. My scissors are always sharp because I ONLY use them on hair, they are very high quality, I don't trim very often, and I take extremely good care of my scissors so they will last for many, many years. The first time you do your own trim it's a little scary. After you build confidence, it's easy, quick, and (after the initial investment in the scissors) cheap (well, free, actually). Give it a try and/or let me know if you have any questions.

Dani
April 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Why not do your own trims? I've had great success using Feye's self-trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) for years. My scissors are always sharp because I ONLY use them on hair, they are very high quality, I don't trim very often, and I take extremely good care of my scissors so they will last for many, many years. The first time you do your own trim it's a little scary. After you build confidence, it's easy, quick, and (after the initial investment in the scissors) cheap (well, free, actually). Give it a try and/or let me know if you have any questions.

Absolutely agree, 100%! I love to trim my own hair, and I have a pair of Arius Eckert shears from Sally's and they are one of my most prized possessions. :D :p People don't even realize how easy it is to trim their own hair- especially long hair! It is super easy and you can do exactly what you want, anytime. :) I love trimming my own hair, and wouldn't pay $1 for a hair cut or trim from anyone... well, maybe I'd have to make an exception for the best long hair stylist in the world, or something... :p

I've done Feye's method a couple times a long time ago, but it didn't work for me, just 'cause I have my own way of trimming my hair that works better for me, and that's just parting it in the middle and down the back, and trimming each side evenly. Starting at the back of one section and working my way toward my face. And I can do any kind of style I want, and have, many times since my hair's been short for a while. But long hair is crazy easy to trim. :D I'd get a pair of great shears and go for it yourself. It is very liberating, and you'll never have to worry or spend another dime again! Plus, if you just want to start with a dusting, then it will be even easier, because it's nearly impossible to get an uneven hem with just a dusting. Especially with your awesome hair type. :) Go for it, says I! You'll never be agonizing about this stuff again, and you'll be completely in control of your own hair forever and ever after. :cheese: Which is especially important when one has very long hair like yours. hths and good luck! You can do anything.

Pixna
April 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Absolutely agree, 100%! I love to trim my own hair, and I have a pair of Arius Eckert shears from Sally's and they are one of my most prized possessions. :D

Those are the same brand of shears I have, and I've been extremely happy with them. :inlove: (i got mine at Sally's, too.) They are definitely worth the investment. And I agree with everything else you said, too, Dani! :redgrin:

julliams
April 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Perhaps you can make your next appointment and ask specifically for them to use sharp scissors on you, explaining what may have happened to you from last time.

Just a question - have you done away with cones? I removed cones from my regime and 6 months later the splits were coming thick and fast and I haven't really had an issue with splits since I was about 18. I've put cones back in now and I'm going to see how I go when I have a cut in 6 months. If the splits are the same, I'll know it's not the cones, if I have less splits I can assume that the coating is providing some kind of protection.

marikamt
April 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I won't quote, but will answer all of the above....

Am really scared to do my own trims.... I have layers I am growing out, etc and am just totally freaked out that I will mess it up.....

I DID cut out cones about 6 mos ago....... I am not 'anti-cone' and really have no issue w/ cones, what I really wanted to cut out was the sulfate shampoos, and cones (buildup) kinda went along with that..........

ETA- and I never did really have an issue w/ splits before, when i used to heat style, color etc......

GoddesJourney
April 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Yeah, me too.