PDA

View Full Version : Basic advice?

ZenGwen
April 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hello lovely people...

So, I'm new, and you all seem to have all this awesome stuff going on. I have fairly long hair... 30-33 inches, depending on how I measure it. Nearly waist length on me, anyway! I don't have anyone to take a picture of it right now, but you can sort of get an idea of it from this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/But%20I%20don%27t%20really%20know%20how%20to%20tak e%20care%20of%20it%20well.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs117.snc3/16444_216293162040_554517040_3551444_5268292_n.jpg

d'awwww aren't we cute geeks.... ahem. Yes, I'm on the right. Although my boyfriend also has long hair and doesn't take care of it at ALL, even less than I do, even though it's gorgeous and blond and curly, grrrrr.

So... I haven't had it cut, or even trimmed, in about five years. I usually wash and condition it every other day, and use leave-in conditioner after showers. Usually just basic products I pick up from Superdrug, with some eye for getting the "for dry hair" stuff. I comb it out while it's got the conditioner in it, then towel dry once it's rinsed, comb it again, and let it air dry. My friends and I do henna every few months (I'm a couple shades lighter, without it) and it is just SO soft and lovely after, it occurred to me that there must be a way to get it like that all the time!

I'm going to get a trim soon, just enough to deal with split ends, and I want to start fresh after that. What basic advice would you give me? What do you do that you consider to be an absolute basic necessity? How should I change my routine, what should I add? I'd like to accelerate the growth a bit if possible, too. It's looking like I should maybe try Biotin. Good idea, bad idea? (Does anyone know where I could find it in the UK?)

XJawbreaker
April 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hmm. Judging by the routine you've explained, one thing I'd definitely say is maybe don't comb so much. The less you brush/comb the better. It's helped my hair a ton!

missmandy
April 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I know conditioner only washes worked wonders for me. Also, in addition to taking biotin, try a multivitamin, evening primrose oil, and flax seed oil. I know there's a thread around here somewhere about a really good vitamin regimine. Also, for speeding up growth, why not try monistat? (or Daktarin in the UK?) Most people see insane amounts of growth using the stuff.

Good luck, and welcome!!! :D

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hello!

There are lots of things for you to try. Just have a read around the forum, and you'll find lots of ideas.

I've got some spare biotin if you want some. I bought a big jar online and after just one day of taking it, I got a big spot, so I don't want to take any more.

Pallas
April 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Try treating your hair with oil now and then. You can find loads of information about ouls on here ;)

Whatever you do, it's best to be gentle with you hair. Don't rub it hard or pull a lot... you know.

Oh and be careful when you just washed your hair. It's the most vulnerable when it's wet, so don't rip a comb through it and definitely don't wring your length out like it's a towel.

But I'm sure you'll find tons of advise just cruising the forum ;)

xladolcevitax
April 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hello lovely people...

So, I'm new, and you all seem to have all this awesome stuff going on. I have fairly long hair... 30-33 inches, depending on how I measure it. Nearly waist length on me, anyway! I don't have anyone to take a picture of it right now, but you can sort of get an idea of it from this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/But%20I%20don%27t%20really%20know%20how%20to%20tak e%20care%20of%20it%20well.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs117.snc3/16444_216293162040_554517040_3551444_5268292_n.jpg

d'awwww aren't we cute geeks.... ahem. Yes, I'm on the right. Although my boyfriend also has long hair and doesn't take care of it at ALL, even less than I do, even though it's gorgeous and blond and curly, grrrrr.

So... I haven't had it cut, or even trimmed, in about five years. I usually wash and condition it every other day, and use leave-in conditioner after showers. Usually just basic products I pick up from Superdrug, with some eye for getting the "for dry hair" stuff. I comb it out while it's got the conditioner in it, then towel dry once it's rinsed, comb it again, and let it air dry. My friends and I do henna every few months (I'm a couple shades lighter, without it) and it is just SO soft and lovely after, it occurred to me that there must be a way to get it like that all the time!

I'm going to get a trim soon, just enough to deal with split ends, and I want to start fresh after that. What basic advice would you give me? What do you do that you consider to be an absolute basic necessity? How should I change my routine, what should I add? I'd like to accelerate the growth a bit if possible, too. It's looking like I should maybe try Biotin. Good idea, bad idea? (Does anyone know where I could find it in the UK?)

Hey and welcome! Originally from Scotland here :)
I also have a man with beautiful long hair and he does nothing to it at all, doesnt even use shampoo..im very jealous of his hair..

Your hair looks beautiful in the picture! You can get Biotin at Holland and Barratt, it costs about 7 pounds for a tub of 100 tablets of 1000 micrograms.. Ive been taking about 2000-4000mcgs a day for the last 7 months, along with 3000mg of MSM (also available from Holland and Barratt) and I feel that this has really made a difference to my hair's texture (its smoother) and thickness. Its also much stronger and doesnt break as much. Ive definately been shedding less hair too which is great. Im not sure if its the biotin or the msm or the combination that has made the difference, but something has so im just keeping on taking them both as ive had no side effects, although i think biotin breaks some peoples skin out.

The other thing I would recommend to you is sweet almond oil, it is amazing! You can put a small amount on your ends while its still wet and its not too greasy, which i found other oils to be (though everyones different, maybe another oil would be better for you hair). I also cover my hair in it every once in a while before shampooing and find it better at moisturising than any deep conditioner. It has really made a difference to the condition of my hair and in stopping breakage. You can get it in Holland and Barratt i think, but I always buy mine from a site called www.enaissance.co.uk (http://www.enaissance.co.uk) because its much cheaper.

Maybe you should try only combing your hair once its dry or semi dry to help stop breakage? or you could try only using conditioner to wash (CO washing) and just using shampoo once a week? These are things I do that have also helped my hair.

Fairlight63
April 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Don't use: curling irons, blow dryers, dye,

Sleep in silk bonnet or silk pillowcase on pillowcase.
Wear it up most of the time to preserve the length & protect it.
I use Jojoba oil or coconut oil on the ends.

Bethie
April 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
One thing I have found that has drastically improved my hair, is simply oiling the length when it is wet. By the time my hair is dry, the oil has been absorbed and I don't have oily hair. After I am done oiling my hair it is so soft.

SunDreamer76
April 14th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi ZenGwen (great name!), I'm new here too... I'm anxious to hear what advice you receive from the veteran LHCers.

My two cents (if you want input from another newbie) regarding hair care is first and foremost to LISTEN to your hair... everyone is different and products/routines work differently on different people. I would suggest that you take it easy with the towel drying -- I suspect I've been a little too violent with that myself, so I'm attempting to do more squeezing the water out of my hair while still in the shower. Get occasional trims to reduce splitting. Condition, condition, condition. And just be as gentle with your hair as you possibly can.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing more pics of your lovely hair.

SunDreamer76
April 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
One thing I have found that has drastically improved my hair, is simply oiling the length when it is wet. By the time my hair is dry, the oil has been absorbed and I don't have oily hair. After I am done oiling my hair it is so soft.

What type of oil do you use when you do this? I'd like to give it a try.

Bethie
April 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
What type of oil do you use when you do this? I'd like to give it a try.

I use jojoba oil, some people like coconut oil, but my hair doesn't like it, also sweet almond oil is another popular oil.

ZenGwen
April 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone, keep it coming!

So let's see, so far I am going to try to...
-not comb/brush my hair too much (I am guilty of doing this a LOT, I keep my hair down quite often and am a bit paranoid about tangles)
-not go too hard with the towel-drying
-experiment with some oils

Yay, I'm excited!

Hello!

There are lots of things for you to try. Just have a read around the forum, and you'll find lots of ideas.

I've got some spare biotin if you want some. I bought a big jar online and after just one day of taking it, I got a big spot, so I don't want to take any more.

I would really appreciate that! I could happily pay for postage, or maybe send you some goodies in return? I don't have many nice hair things yet, but there is a place near me that does absolutely amazing gourmet chocolate...

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Try conditioners, oils and don't use a hair dryer on it ever

Leneveu
April 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Have you had a look at the articles section yet? There are 101 interesting things to try there...this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) one might be a good place to start.

I love your photo, by the way! I wonder if we might be hair twins :silly:

spidermom
April 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Don't rub wet hair with a towel or twist it with a towel - very damaging. I use flannel pillowcases on mine - doubled, hair dropped inside, then outer edge twisted and clipped to hold it on my head until I figure enough water has been absorbed. I also press my hands together, hair/pillowcases between hands, to squeeze out extra water.

Otherwise - save the next empty shampoo or conditioner bottle and try diluting your shampoo in warm water, shake well, before squirting all over scalp. This has made the biggest difference in my hair. Oh, and apply conditioner to lower part of length before shampooing scalp.

Take changes slow. Anything new that you try, give it at least 2 weeks before you try something else, unless - of course - you get an immediate bad result. Then go back to what worked before the bad result for a few days before trying something else new.

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I would really appreciate that! I could happily pay for postage, or maybe send you some goodies in return? I don't have many nice hair things yet, but there is a place near me that does absolutely amazing gourmet chocolate...

Oh no, don't worry. I will just be glad if someone can make use of it rather than have to throw it away. It was expensive!

When you have enough posts, you will be able to send private messages. Send me one and let me have your address and I will send you it if you still want it.

ZenGwen
April 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Have you had a look at the articles section yet? There are 101 interesting things to try there...this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) one might be a good place to start.

I love your photo, by the way! I wonder if we might be hair twins :silly:

Ooooh that is fantastic, thanks!

Also, glad you like the photo.

Oh no, don't worry. I will just be glad if someone can make use of it rather than have to throw it away. It was expensive!

When you have enough posts, you will be able to send private messages. Send me one and let me have your address and I will send you it if you still want it.

Awww, thanks, that's really nice of you. I'll remember! :D

brunette
April 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
If possible try only one new change of routine at a time so that you know which is or isn't working for you.
I recommend Indian herb washing and catnip rinses!