PDA

View Full Version : Need a trim bad... But Im terrified :(

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Mostly because I am so curly I have to flat iorn, I know that I need at least 2 inches off the bottom to get the fuzz and whatnot off..

I measured last night for the first time in years and I am at 19and 3/4 ... I was hoping that I wouldnt need a trim until at lease 22 inches. My first major goal is 24 and then 32..

I dont know what to do should I just bite the bullet and trim? I mean summer is comming and it does grow faster in the summer... I am just on the fence and need someone to help me sway one way or the other..

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mostly because I am so curly I have to flat iorn..

I'm a bit confused about what you mean. Do you mean:

A. you have to flat iron to achieve straight hair that's easier to trim, and it's worrying you that you are going to have to straighten it in order to get it cut and this may damage it?

or

B. You regularly flat iron your curly hair and think that this is the cause of the damage that needs trimming off?

If A, straightening just once shouldn't hurt, but why not try trimming wet?

If B, why not try giving up the flat iron and exploring curly options?

Hope this helps.

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry I Wasnt clear on that .. :S I have to flat iorn when I get a trim (I only flat iorn about o7 times a year just to see growth ) because nobody here seems to know how badly curly hair shrinks and it always ends up at my chin..

I havent had a trim in over a year cause Im scared :(

Roseate
April 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Perhaps try trimming much less than 2" to start, like just 1/2", then see how it feels. Sometimes a tiny trim can make a big difference. You can always trim more later if it isn't enough!

I agree about giving up the iron, but I'm sure you know that already. I never thought I'd give mine up, but I rarely even think about it anymore. ETA: I see your last post, never mind- I thought you meant the damage was from regular ironing!

Fairlight63
April 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Well, you could just wear it up in different up do's until it gets to the length you wanted it to be at for your trim (22").

BelleBot
April 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
You could try wet trimming to avoid the flat iron. Also just start with a small trim as roseate suggested. Start off with just a cm or quarter of an inch and if you think you need more off, take off a little bit more, or just leave it at a microtrim. I found trimming in stages is much better than whacking off 2" straight away. Or you could do an inch now, then an inch after summer.

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the sugestions all .. I was sitting here in the sun looking at my ends thinking "i can do a S &D well there are to many splits to snip one at a time. THen I was all "I can just cut it back to my shoulders or collarbone"

I think Im getting obsessed Im going to go clarify now and do a SMT I KNOW if I dont go put it up Ill do something I regret like cutting it off to my shortes layer at my chin

Time to just sit on it for a week and baby it see if that helps

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Trim a little bit and if that feels okay then trim a little more off

Oskimosa
April 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Yea, trimming damaged ends gets to be a slippery slope for length... I try to reassure myself with something Spidermom said on another thread, to the effect of "hair isn't perfect." You can weep all day about splits or crunchiness, but at the end of the day its your head of hair and you have to do what makes you feel good about it. If you're needlessly obsessing over what pictures show to be great length, try to calm down and use a little benign neglect a la putting it up and forgetting about it. If you find that after a couple of weeks time, it is still really grating on your nerves, do what you need to. It's not a race, and there is no finish line, this is a journey and you know what? You will get there with patience. :flower:

spidermom
April 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Curly hair is very forgiving when it comes to uneven trimming, so why not try a self-trim of teeny-tiny snips off the very ends - no more than 1/2" ??

jera
April 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Curly hair is very forgiving when it comes to uneven trimming, so why not try a self-trim of teeny-tiny snips off the very ends - no more than 1/2" ??

I absolutely agree. It's hard to tell from you avatar just how curly you are.

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Im going to try a self trim just like yall said Im sure that will help, I never thought of curly hair being forgiving lol