PDA

View Full Version : Science behind stalls and spurts?

Dreams_in_Pink
April 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Seriously, why do stalls and spurts happen?

My guess is that it can have something to do with majority of hair entering the same growth stage. Like, anagen is when hair keeps on growing, catagen is when it stops and telogen is when hair sheds. I also read that %85 of all the hair on our heads are in anagen phase and %10-15 of hairs are in telogen phase. So when these numbers mess up by accident we might get spurts or stalls.

That's my guess though, any other ideas?

SimplyViki
April 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Same principle behind the theory "a watched pot never boils". :agree: I've never noticed any growth spurts or stalls on myself, and I hardly pay any attention to my growth at all. I've noticed others talking of stalls and spurts, but that tends to be in people who measure their hair consistently.

So, my scientific explanation (half-baked as it may be) is that it only occurs because we're paying too much attention. ;) :silly:

(Totally tongue-in-cheek reply, I'm really not sure what causes it. Just a weird, random thing the body does, I guess.)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Of course, if you never care about how fast your hair grows it will seem like it's growing at the same rate all the time :D But paying a close attention to the growth one can see some changes in the speed of hair growth (or no growth at all) and that got me curious because sometimes some people see amazing growth in very little time.