PDA

View Full Version : Changing my washing routine- need help and advice.

Henrietta
April 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Some time ago I decided to change my washing frequency. I used to wash every 3 day, now I wash every 4. I wanted to save time, but first of all I want my hair to be healthy, not frazzled. My hair, when it's washed often, gets frazzle.
It has been about a month and nothing has changed. I mean I thought that after a month or so, my scalp will calm down and stop producing that much oil. I expected that in day 4 my hair will be as oily as it' was on day 3 in previous routine. But it's like... day 4.
What should I do? I know that camomile shampoo or tea (I mean instead of water to rinse shampoo) helps, but I used it once. It desiccates not only my scalp but also my hair:(

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
April 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Perhaps your hair and scalp are a 3day washer and nothing can change it:(
Haven't you experienced stess or hormone fluctuations? Maybe you should continue for another month or two and then make some conclusion. Take care and good luck!

Henrietta
April 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Few years ago there was I time I washed every 2 day. And somehow I went back to every 3 day without any trouble. But it was only about a month of every 2 day. Now my hair and scalp are used to every 3 days, I used to do it for YEARS. But I hope I am able to change it.

Monsterkitti
April 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe stick with it for another few weeks and see if there is any improvement? It can take a while to transition. Maybe try dry shampoo, some people have success with that.

That or maybe 3 day washing is just what suits your hair and scalp best?

I did find it easier to stretch my washes after moving to cone free and SLS free shampoo and conditioner but that may just be me. It would also mean changing your entire routine if you are using coney and SLS products which could be a real pain to do.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
April 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I did find it easier to stretch my washes after moving to cone free and SLS free shampoo and conditioner but that may just be me.

I have noticed this too. I still use some cones in conditioner but I put it about 4 inches away from the scalp :cool:

Henrietta
April 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I have conditioner end even shampoo with cones. Maybe that's the problem... But few days ago I bought coconut oil, so maybe I'll ba able to stop using cones and my hair will still look nice.
Anyway, I will continue new routine for few weeks more. ;)

countryhopper
April 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I used to wash with shampoo every day, and then I dropped the shampoo and began washing with dilluted baking soda (about 1 tablespoon in a cup of warm water) and follow that up with a tea rinse.

I do this now twice a week. It took at least 2 weeks to get over the initial transition phase. Even now, by day 4 my roots and part of the length get a little oily. Then I pull out my secret weapon...

...cornstarch.

I dust my hands as if I were a gymnaist and run my hands through my roots. It doesn't take much. If I DO get a little flour-y looking, I just wipe it off with a towel. It soaks up the excess grease and makes my hair feel soft and fluffy and much thicker. After the cornstarch, I can easily wait to wash for another day or two.

Try the cornstarch, it may help!

melikai
April 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Try moving to cone free, after a good clarifying shampoo. I would remain washing every 3 days until your hair and scalp are used to the silicone-free products, and then try to stretch washes again. Don't try to change your products and washing frequency at the same time, unless you're prepared to have not great looking hair for a while.

It can take more than a year to transition from once a day washing to once a week, depending on your oil production and hair type. :flower:

Orchid
April 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
For one, it could just be that your hair works best with the routine you had before. Some scalps and skin get really stubborn and will just do as they please. Another reason may be the choice of shampoo. Perhaps you should change to something that clarifies more, or balances the PH of the scalp to keep from getting funky with changing a routine.

I don't force my hair into something it doesn't want. Sometimes it takes only a day to get oily. Sometimes longer. I just wash my hair when it needs it and let it do it's thing. I oil the ends really well to keep my hair from getting dry. If my hair below my ears needs a little TLC, I gob on cheap conditioner from the ears down and wash only my scalp if the oil gets out of hand. I know this isn't much help, but the point is to find a routine that your scalp response well to and to treat the length how it needs to be treated. Experiment and don't do anything super drastic and I'm sure you will find a solution.

If all else fails, try a clarifying treatment and start over. Sometimes buildup can cause the hair AND scalp to get fussy. When my hair and scalp seem to disagree, my stylist tells me to wash my entire head of hair with Head & Shoulders. This cleans all of the nasty buildup without totally stripping the hair due to the conditioners in it. Good luck!

Henrietta
April 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you soooo much. I am impressed with the fact that you are so helpful here on LHC. I can always count on you ladies;)
I'll try this methods and we'll see:)

I have one more question. If you wash your hair with shampoo, do you wash twice? I mean (conditioner )shampoo-rinse-shampoo-rinse (conditioner)? Yesterday someone told me that washing twice make scalp frazzled and it produces sebum faster...

melikai
April 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I only wash twice if I have over oiled my hair, or if I get something in my hair that needs to be thoroughly removed.

My BF shampoos his hair twice, but he has extremely oily hair and only washes every week or more! Not out of concern for his hair, but out of laziness. :p

hydrangea
April 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Have you increased the amount you are exercising? What about doing a CO wash on day 3, and alternating between co and regular shampoo washes until your scalp gets used to it?

I didn't realize that it can take up to a year to get to the point where you can wash once a week! I've got really fine hair...took me about 4 months for my scalp to get used to once every 3rd day.