PDA

View Full Version : Native American Hairstyles needed

Purdy Bear
April 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Iv just brought myself a lovely Native American style beaded barrette:

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BjviqD!CGk~$(KGrHqUH-C8Es+P-Z9WDBLU0ISKj4w~~_3.JPG

What hairstyles would have been traditionally worn by these peoples with these barrette?

Iv done a school project on the women of the plains tribes (many many years ago) but I cant remember ever seeing any photos of them wearing their hair up.

Thanks

atlantaz3
April 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Just a guess here - half up pony, braids, for full pony. I don't think I've seen any pics of Native American women in anything other than braids. It's a pretty clip I would style as you like rather than authenic.

PineappleJello
April 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
When I see the native girls (live between 2 of the largest reserves in Canada) they tend to wear their hair in a bun, then place it either above or below the bun. I'm not sure that it's a traditional method of holding hair back. You could also it to decorate a ponytail. Pictures usually show the hair down and free or braided. you could also do a pony tail, split it in half, braid the two sections and then place the decoration where the elastic is.

myrrhmaiden
April 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Though it's not authentic, sometimes I do a half up bun, and then split the remaining loose half down the middle and make two braids. It looks native inspired to me, and I like it.

angelthadiva
April 14th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I was at a Pow Wow this weekend. There are pictures in my blog; I would say that nearly ALL of them had braids, either twin French braids or two twin English braids. The guys were the same, I did see one guy with a French Braid and the others had English braids. One guy (the emcee) had his hair in the caterpillar style.

If *I* were you, I would do a lowish ponytail; then put the hair toy in, then braid the end.

Heavenly Locks
April 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Though it's not authentic, sometimes I do a half up bun, and then split the remaining loose half down the middle and make two braids. It looks native inspired to me, and I like it.

Neat style idea! :thumbsup:

Tarja Sky
April 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
What a beautiful barret! I hope you post pictures with it in your hair:)

RedStripe
April 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I was at a Pow Wow this weekend. There are pictures in my blog; I would say that nearly ALL of them had braids, either twin French braids or two twin English braids. The guys were the same, I did see one guy with a French Braid and the others had English braids. One guy (the emcee) had his hair in the caterpillar style.

If *I* were you, I would do a lowish ponytail; then put the hair toy in, then braid the end.

What is the caterpillar style?

angelthadiva
April 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
What is the caterpillar style?

I have it pictured in the articles section, but basically a banded elastic down the length of the hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal/photos/0c71991a03652ac006175e27ec1128b9.jpg

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think it would cover the bun or back of the head if it's braided

jera
April 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
That's a gorgeous slide. It would look great on a pony. :)