PDA

View Full Version : Existing hair getting coarser

BlndeInDisguise
May 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Today I was doing a VERY long over due S&D, and it sure seems to me like my hair has gotten coarser. Like, the hairs that have been there since before I really started taking care of my hair.

Is this possible, or has my imagination run away with me again?? :o

Blueglass
May 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
maybe as your getting older? That's happening to me.

Dianyla
May 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hair gets coarser during puberty. Considering the length of your hair, and your age, it's quite likely that the tips of your hair are a finer texture than the roots.

It may not be as silky soft, but coarser hair is certainly stronger and more durable. :)

Isilme
May 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
yup, my hair has also been getting coarser, I attribute some of it to henna:)

Phalaenopsis
May 6th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm also finding more and more coarser strands and they're also darker than my other fine, blondish hair. It's strange, but I'm quite curious of what it is going to be in a few years. :)

BlndeInDisguise
May 6th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hair gets coarser during puberty. Considering the length of your hair, and your age, it's quite likely that the tips of your hair are a finer texture than the roots.

It may not be as silky soft, but coarser hair is certainly stronger and more durable. :)

So you think that the hair that's already there (and I'm talking about the stuff that probably 40" to 52") could get thicker?

Dianyla
May 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
So you think that the hair that's already there (and I'm talking about the stuff that probably 40" to 52") could get thicker?
The thickness of the hair can only be determined when the hair shaft is formed at the follicle (root). Existing hair strands, once formed, cannot become thicker. They can become rougher due to damage, which might make them seem thicker.

So I would expect the thickness to start at the root and get finer and finer as you move towards the tip of each hair strand. Even if you're not trimming your ends at all, the ends eventually wear and break off, and get replaced by newer hair.