PDA

View Full Version : Exercises for hairstyling?

hoosiermama
April 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
So I've noticed lately now that my hair is long enough to put up, my arms and shoulders aren't quite ready for the challenge. Could it be that they are out of practice? Maybe. Could it be that I'm that out of shape? Probably. Could it be that my right side is damaged from the radiation treatments I had a couple years ago? Most likely. But in any case, are there exercises besides just practicing the hairstyles to stretch, strengthen, and build endurance in the hands, arms and shoulders? What, if anything do you do to prepare for putting up your hair? What do you do to soothe tired muscles after you're done styling? Thanks for sharing!

spidermom
April 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I do weight lifting but not strictly to style my hair. You could start out with very light weights - like 1/2 or 1 pound. Hot baths help to soothe sore muscles, also muscle relaxers. I have cyclobenzaprine on hand.

TiaKitty
April 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Stretch first? Do some upper body yoga videos? You can use a bottle of water or a can of food for a nice light weight to get started building strength back...

Yesterday I tried my hardest to make a nice crown braid. I had to do it twice, and neither one "stuck."

This morning I woke up and my hands were sore... my fingers were curled up and and tight feeling. No good.

-simply Venus-
April 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I find the more you put your hair up, the more your arms get used to it.

Ha, your avatar picture is the desktop for my computer! What a coincidence!

tokidokichi
April 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I had this problem when I started cosmetology school, not from doing MY hair, but from doing other people's hair! After about 3 months of doing hair everyday, the soreness just seemed to go away and my muscles are used to it. Also when you are doing your hair and your hands are above your head, it helps to keep your elbows in and in front of you (next to your head). It feels a little awkward at first, but it puts less stress on your muscles.

Blandine
April 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Braiding etc. is much easier if you are not standing but sitting in a chair with reclining back.

Purdy Bear
April 14th, 2010, 04:40 AM
There are two things that come to mind:

a) Yoga or Calanetics, have fabulous upper arm exercises.

b) Play a wood wind instrument. I played the orchestral flute for 6 years and had humongous shoulders and arms. The flute is light when you first pick it up but holding at that angle for an hour soons gets the muscles working (my old cat could walk along my arms and bash me in the face with her head and my arms wouldnt give). Torrin Paige on You Tube is a drummer in a band.

c) Press ups/ push ups are supposed to be very good for building shoulder and upper chest muscles as well.

anrems
April 14th, 2010, 05:05 AM
You can grab some soup cans (only about 1lb) and do a couple reps every day to strengthen your arms and shoulders. Try 3 reps of 20, and increase it as you get stronger. There are many kinds of lifting you can do to target different muscles. A little every day, combined with doing your updos and just trying to keep your arms going as long as possible while doing them will definitely help.

BelleBot
April 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM
As the other have said, your arms and muscles will get used to it and will get stronger over time.
And the soup can/bottle of water idea is a good one. You don't want to lift anything too heavy, you're aiming for endurance with hair styling, so lots of repetitions with smaller weights is more beneficial than a few reps with heavier weights.

Getting tired sore arms doens't mean you're out of shape, it's just unnatural to hold your arms above you head for extended periods of time whilst fiddling about with your fingers and hands. You're not used to using your muscles in that way.

Hairstyling sounds like a sport now :p I've never had an issue with tired arms etc, but then again I've always had long hair.

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I do bodyweight exercises. Press-ups, dips, and negatives on a chin-up bar.

I don't do them specifically in order to be able to do hairstyles, though! Just for general fitness. :D

atlantaz3
April 14th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I used to sit on the floor with my back against the bed to french braid. The support seemed to help and if I had to I could rest my arms against the back to the bed.