PDA

View Full Version : Letting other people handle your hair

Pages : [1] 2

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Do you like it when someone other than you brushes, plays with, washes, or styles your hair? Or are you perhaps afraid they will damage it? Maybe you don't like the idea of other people touching your hair, for sanitary reasons?

Whether it's friends, relatives, or strangers, I'm interested to see how you all feel about letting other people handle your hair.

Laylah
April 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
If they are not my family, other women, or SO then I'm not ok with it. Basically, no unrelated men.

Other than that, I'm not really worried about damage. It's not like they're flat ironing my hair without my knowledge!

slz
April 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
...And my experience with hairdressers has been that they are very rough and absolutely do not put the amount of care and gentleness I use in handling my hair myself. So, no way.

I know what you mean about some hairdressers! Every time I've gone to one, they tangle my hair up terribly when they wash it by piling it all together and scrubbing *cringe*. Then, they rip the knots out with a brush. Not only is it painful (I have a very sensitive scalp), but I can hear hundreds of hairs snapping.

I don't mind friends and relatives handling my hair, as long as they are gentle. I have one friend that is a brute, and she rips through knots and yanks my hair really tight when doing any kind of style...so she doesn't touch my hair anymore haha.

TiaKitty
April 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I would love somebody to brush my hair or braid it for me! I haven't done that since childhood... traded hair brusings.

My girlies want to, but they are too aggressive about brushing it for me.

The closest I can some is an occasional braid from my sister-in-law. She went to an all girls boarding school, and she learned some beautiful methods! She said when they were bored they'd do each others' hair.

As for men, not many want to touch it. The occasional admirer in the grocery store or something, but not anyone I know. Never had a mate with a hair ... f3tish or anything.

Kelli Kat
April 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The only person beside myself who touches my hair is my aunt. She dusts the ends for me. And of course my kitties who like to snuggle in it and play with it.

Copasetic
April 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I generally don't let other people play with my hair. Most people have no idea how to handle curly hair. :o

myrrhmaiden
April 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I only let DH touch it. It's something he does to be affectionate. He knows my hair is important to me, so he is gentle and makes sure his hands are clean. He likes playing with it, and I love it when he does. I can't really imagine it feeling "right" for someone else to do so.

aef231
April 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Very few people besides me touch my hair at this point. When I was younger, I'd babysit some little girls, one of whom liked to sit in my lap and reach up to play with my hair. Some of the other girls would brush it and braid it for me, and it always felt so nice :) These days pretty much the only other person who touches my hair is my mother. She'll tuck it behind my ear, or brush it away from my face with a hand. I love it. Honestly, I wish more of my close friends would play with my hair, I kind of miss it :o Not strangers though, that would freak me out.

tyrant1100
April 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
The only two people allowed to touch my hair are my husband (because he's gentle and won't tangle it) and my Mom (because she made my hair to begin with). Otherwise no one touches it unless they're my pets.

marikamt
April 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I used to love having my hair touched (not by strangers), but by hairdressers, DH, mom, family kiddies, the senior citizens I work with... now it bothers me because I worry it will get 'damaged', and it bothers me that is bothers me.... I feel bad, because I grew it out to love it, not for it to become an obsession........ I have to change my attitude....

Kristin
April 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I don't mind adult women touching my hair so long as they know how to detangle and such. Actually, I wish more people would do my hair. I am always the one playing with others' hair as I now know so many braids, etc. and they like me do do their hair. :(

misspriss
April 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
My SO and my little sister.

SO even trims my hair for me now. He is very gentle when he plays with it, but sometimes I hear a snap and I always make him stop. It usually doesn't tangle much so no problems.

Aquamarine
April 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I don't have a problem with my family or friends touching my hair provided they're gentle with it.:p But I'm kind of a bubble person, I don't really like it when people touch it or pet it. I occasionally get my mom or friend to braid my hair for me though.:D

ETA: Oh I totally forgot, I'm glad when someone measures my hair for me..I guess that's one thing I can't do myself!

Kristin
April 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
ETA: Oh I totally forgot, I'm glad when someone measures my hair for me..I guess that's one thing I can't do myself!

I agree! DBF's measurements are always 1" or more greater than mine!

young&reckless
April 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I like when my SO plays with my hair. I also let friends "pet" me from time to time. I doesn't bother me so long as they are nice about it. Most of my male friends play with my hair from time to time and most have had their hands slaped away for not being nice enough.:luke:

tinker bug
April 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't mind adult women touching my hair so long as they know how to detangle and such. Actually, I wish more people would do my hair. I am always the one playing with others' hair as I now know so many braids, etc. and they like me do do their hair. :(

This exactly^^

I love having other people play with my hair, but my favorite person to play with it would be DBF since he's so gentle with it and its cute to watch him try to figure out how to braid it :crush: It also helps that he's the one that gives me the most compliments on it, and they mean more to me coming from him.

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I love having other people play with my hair, but my favorite person to play with it would be DBF since he's so gentle with it and its cute to watch him try to figure out how to braid it :crush: It also helps that he's the one that gives me the most compliments on it, and they mean more to me coming from him.

Aww that's cute! I wish my fiance liked to play with my hair. He doesn't...he doesn't compliment me on it, either, unless I fish for it. He is very practical and doesn't put much stock in appearance, so he thinks it's kind of silly that I put so much effort and thought into my hair. He things there are many more important things to do/think about. :(

-simply Venus-
April 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I don't care that much, as long as their not a stranger! I like messing with people's hair, and I don't mind my friend's messing with mine.

God, I hate it when my best friend asks to straighten, though! Just to see what I look like. yeah, 1. I'd never straighten my hair if I wasn't going somewhere! I rarely straighten it if I am! 2. She yanks with the straightener, getting it caught in all my hairs, pulling all of them and ripping them out! 3. She really doesn't know how to straighten curly hair. =/ She just whips through the strands super fast, over and over. You're supposed to go slow, once or twice! D;

yeah. ._.

FrannyG
April 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Since my hair is so straight and smooth, I find that people like to stroke it. I've often sat at a get-together only to find a friend (male or female) behind me stroking my hair, much in the way one might pet a cat from head to tail.

It honestly doesn't bother me in the least. I'm a rather tactile person, so actually I kind of like it. It's always done with affection.

Obviously, I would feel differently if it were a stranger or even an acquaintance whom I don't know very well.

I honestly can't relate to hating having my hair touched. But I guess that's just the way I am.

Juliannaissance
April 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I would be really protective because I know how some people comb their own hair or other peoples hair, and they really brush it aggressively. My cousin also cut my hair because she said it was too long, it was a little past waist a few years ago when she did it...and I was dumb because I allowed it...she was insisting I cut it.

Cheeks1206
April 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Unless I give someone express permission to touch my hair, and for the record, that permission is null and void as soon as you walk away or I say stop, for the love of everything holy, please do NOT touch my hair! It's not so much that I dislike people touching it or playing with it, I just don't like the invasion of personal space.

ravensinger13
April 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
If it's someone I know well and their hands are clean I don't mind. I even let my 4 year old son play with it on occasion, which sparked a weeks long strike on getting his hair cut because "he wanted it like mommy's" *end hijack
Yeah, anyway, I enjoy having someone play with my hair to the point that I let my son do it and deal with the tangles later.

Flynn
April 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
NO. HAIR. TOUCHING.

But it's not just about hair. I hate being touched, petted, etc -- with the exception of my boyfriend and, in certain cases, my mother.

Alcenaia
April 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I love it when people pay attention to my hair, haha.

A girl in one of my chemistry classes had a chin-length bob (cut from waist) and she loved to brush my hair. She would do so fairly often in the corner of the classroom, much to the confusion of our male lab partner.

When I was little, my friends and I would sit in rows and style the hair of the person in front of us. One of the best sleepover games ever. As long as no heat styling tools get involved, I like to style and be styled.

My grandmother would run her fingers through my hair always the same way and in the same place, right above my ears where the hair loops over. I have fond memories of falling asleep to that rhythm.

The only time someone else has ever washed my hair was my mother when I injured my wrists. It was annoying, mostly. I'm not sure I'd like anybody washing my hair.

Someone reaching out and touching my hair with no preamble is not okay, but if they aren't creeping, ask first, and have clean hands, I'm not inclined to say no.

I am of the opinion that my hair is to be enjoyed, whether by looks or feel or by me, my family, my friends...it's a pretty open policy, lol. I'm usually not that extroverted, hm.

(quits rambling :))

Gumball
April 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
This poll (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35277) is on the same subject.

As for me, it really depends on the person, their knowledge, and my trust. I have to know the person, for starters. Usually I keep my hair to myself as it's very fickle. I'm very wary of things happening to it. It tangles at the drop of a hat. Wait no. At the first second of time occurring! A select few trusted people, such as the GF, bubbleguppy, are allowed to do things to it.

ellebanna
April 13th, 2010, 11:48 PM
As a nanny/babysitter, it seems the kids always want to play with my hair. I'm reluctant because with my hair, it seems barely touching it makes it explode in volume. Otherwise, I would like it. I still ask my mom to french braid it since I can't, and that I'm fine with. I also get nervous because I'm prone to dry scalp (I'm guessing a shampoo sensitivity?) and my scalp starts to flake when touched. But, if I didn't have that problem I'd love to have my scalp rubbed/massaged.

I've let my mom and my friend on, separate occasions, dye and flat iron my hair (it takes over 2 hours), and I love it when they start brushing it after it's straight.

so basically, I don't like it if its because of embarrassment over my scalp or because I'm afraid of my hair getting messed up, but otherwise I love it. :)

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2010, 11:56 PM
...I also get nervous because I'm prone to dry scalp (I'm guessing a shampoo sensitivity?) and my scalp starts to flake when touched. But, if I didn't have that problem I'd love to have my scalp rubbed/massaged.

That's a good point, except I have the opposite problem. I have an oily scalp, so a lot of the time I wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone handle my hair because I'd be afraid they'd think it was dirty.

Heavenly Locks
April 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I don't really like it... :o unless you are a relative or my DH, or someone that I am seeing. So, for the most part no. I think it's because I worry that others will be rough with it, and it's a fairly intimate act in my opinion.

If I get it professionally styled or cut that's different, because I am paying for a service. Much like I wouldn't let just anybody near the 'lady bits' unless you are a professional waxer, or a doctor. I don't think hair is as private as ones genitals, but it's the only comparison I can think of off the top of my head.

slz
April 14th, 2010, 12:06 AM

little_acorn
April 14th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Not sure really, my DH sure, the kitties - I have no choice, friends - probably, but it's usually secured in a bun with fierce looking hair sticks, complete and utter strangers NO!

-j-
April 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
My hair is my personal treasure and if anyone touches my hair it is like touching me. So I would be ok if my boyfriend touched it, maybe if my family members would, but no one else.

And what comes to other people washing, brushing or styling my hair - absolutely NO!!
(Going to hairdresser has always been an extremely disturbing experience for me and I´m never gonna do it again)

anrems
April 14th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I love letting female friends play with my hair, it feels nice and they don't tug through tangles. I have to constantly remind my fiancé not to rip his hands through my delicate and often tangled hair! Other than them and my mom- no touching!

ilovelonghair
April 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
If someone wants to do a nice updo for me, it's all ok. Strangely enough I seem to attract little girls who want to make braids. Last satuday I had 2 ponytails and this little girl braided them together under my chin, we both had a laugh about the weird 'beard she had created!

lesbia
April 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I like this, only if the person is very delicate, but in every case in these situations I'm alway a little bit worry!
But I love if is my boyfriend to handle my hair, I love when he comb them and I love his fingers across them!

Monsterkitti
April 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
As long as its friends, family or DBF and they are gentle I dont mind them touching or playing with my hair, its generally quite nice to be fussed over :) I dont think I'd trust anyone but DM to brush or comb my hair though :)

sweet*things
April 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Random people, no, but I'm not a touchy-feely person to begin with. My DH couldn't care less about my hair (as long as it stays out of the drains and the food :D). He'll occasionally give me a scalp massage, but that's not a hair-centric experience. My DD is getting good at brushing and detangling hair, and I let her practice on me. The last time she attempted hair styling it resulted in me having to cut elastics out of my hair, but hope springs eternal.

walterSCAN
April 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I don't mind if DF touches it, but touching my hair is a very personal thing as others have said.

I've never been terribly comfortable letting others touch my hair-- let alone style/brush it for me. It's possibly because growing up we didn't really do that kind of stuff... Mom combed/ brushed my hair for me when I was too young to do it myself, but she wasn't very gentle with my relatively tender scalp, so as soon as I could do it myself I did.

ETA--> And yeah, strangers, definitely NO! Touching my hair is just like touching any of my other body parts, which is not ok for anyone I'm not totally comfortable with/ anyone I haven't given permission to.

Purdy Bear
April 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
When I had hair, nope, and I really didnt like the hairdressers doing their stuff.

Now I only have very little hair, Im even scared to touch it just incase I do something that might cause it to fall out or break, so I would totally freak out if someone touched without my permission.

sibiryachka
April 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM
It all depends on the who and the why. I don't want strangers touching it without permission, of course, but if it's someone I know, and they ask first, it's fine. I love having it stroked, or brushed/combed/braided by someone who knows how.

Pallas
April 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I don't like people styling my hair, including washing. That's because I really don't want damaging products in my hair or too much tngles. Especially tangles just hurt like hell.

I let people make hairdos and brush, as long as they're not barbaric.

And I'd let ANYONE play with my hair. I just LOVE it XD It just feels when someones playing with it, I honestly don't care if it's a stranger with questionable hygiene. I'll live when I'm not completely clean.

SunDreamer76
April 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I LOVE to have my hair touched... I wish I had someone to brush (ok, pic - I don't use a brush) it for me, braid it, etc. My daughter, when she was much younger, would play with it... we would play Beauty Shop and fix each other's hair -- I think I enjoyed it as much as she did! But, alas, she's 16 now and not into playing with Mama's hair. :)

Maddy25
April 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I used to love my hair played with when it was longer, but now that its short it gets on my nerves a lot because it makes it all stick up funny!

Carolyn
April 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I've had very few occasions when anyone wanted to touch my hair other than a stylist or my friend who does a lot of my trims. I can't recall the last time it happened.

jackiesjottings
April 15th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Don't mind if it is someone I know but I wouldn't like a total stranger to come up and touch it, that would feel very instrusive

Hana
April 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM
personally, i love having my hair played with. unfortunately, i dont let people touch my hair very often, unless their hands are clean, my hair is clean and in good condition, and i have to trust who's doing it.
and if they tug they've lost their stroking privilege! hahaha. :D
as a kid my mum always used to comb my hair when i got up and before i went to bed (and she would oil it every so often). so its a very nostalgic thing for me, i think its why i like it, makes me feel like a child again.

Amber Joy
April 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I only let my husband and my sister play with my hair, unless there is a specific style that I can't do myself. (My mom can double french braid, wheras I can't manage that.) Otherwise, people touching me (hair included) makes me uncomfortable.

habioku
April 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I don't have any problem with friends that want to touch my hair. If they want, they are alowed to brush and style, too (if they are careful).

Shel
April 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've always hated other people touching/messing with my hair. I occasionally let my mom or sister braid it for me, but beyond that, i don't like it...especially if you don't ask first.

pinkbunny
April 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
As long as they have permission, yes. DH combs my hair after I shower (I get most of the tangles out first with a giant shower comb, then he does the rest). He also does my micro-trims now that it's well beyond my arm's reach. I love the feeling of being combed, stroked, or styled if it's done right. Once in a while I might let a stranger touch it if they ask nicely - but only for a moment. (The last time was a little girl who didn't believe it was real - she still didn't believe even after touching it! lol)

One thing I wish DH would do more is sometimes when he strokes it, he'll *barely* pull it - just a few strands, so it feels almost like a scalp massage...

Merewen
April 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
For me it's split into categories. Random strangers, no. Close friends/family, yes, I enjoy it. My DF, yes, very much so. He's so gentle with it. I love when he touches my hair.

LoveMyLongHair
April 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
My son has ALWAYS loved to brush my hair since he was little and try to put in into a pony or braids. I don't let me do it, as he is to rough (not meaning to be, he just doesn't 'feel' it when it is pulled). So, someitimes I will pre-brush or comb and then let him do it. I love to have my hair brushed, just not pulled!! I keep telling him he needs to learn how to gently handle long hair, as some day he will hopefully have long haired little girls' hair of his own to do and he must be gentle with it or they will scream!! LOL

I have no SO currently, so no, no one else but my pets (and my horses love to nuzzle it, sillies) touch my hair.

Gypsy
April 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Only people that I know very well and IF they have clean hands (I do not expect my 3 year old twin grand daughters or their 9 month old sister to always have clean hands, though:)).
Otherwise-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LaMermaid/noyoucantkickbanner.gif

TawnyRoots
April 15th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I love people touching my hair! Maybe this will change as it gets longer, but I don't think so, it's usually in a warm, affectionate way (I think...). Only time I didn't like was when working at a nursery school where after one child proudly proclaimed that she had nits...

mintyhot
April 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM
if people are gentle i don't mind as long as i know them very well, but it's always nice when i get compliments on my hair! Rarely does anyone play with it though:(

Stagecoach
April 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'm a bit picky about hair touching.

Family or close friends, I enjoy fixing/playing with my hair.

I can't stand it when strangers male or female stroke my hair when it's down, but I'm fine with strangers male or female fingering an updo. Folks are often intrigued by my updos and touch them out of curiosity. They do always ask though. I would be quite freaked out if someone just touched my hair without some kind of alert.

EtherealOde
April 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
My husband helps me do my roots, and has braided my hair for me on occasion. he also measures for me. Every now and then he likes to stroke my hair, he understands about me wanting clean hands so that isn't a worry. He likes the smell of my hair after I wash it.

My granddaughter likes my hair too, though she isn't quite as careful about clean hands! So she gets the lecture about handwashing quite a bit. :)

My doggies also get to touch my hair, because they don't chew or lick it. They like to smell it, so I have gotten used to the feel of a cool doggy nose on my neck and nape, particularly at night. They get their sniffers going when it is freshly washed, I guess dogs like nice-smelling hair too.

ArienEllariel
April 16th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I love when people brush my hair and play with it, provided they are gentle. :)

Capybara
April 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I don't mind close friends touching my hair, and I don't mind some of my family members touching my hair. Certain people pull/rub it (which I HATE!!) so I don't trust them enough to let them touch it. But, some people I don't mind.

JenniferNoel
April 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I trust my SO with my hair, and people who understand how to properly handle it.
Strangers, well, I'm flattered, but seriously, keep your grimy hands off my tresses, busta. :p

Frying Pan Paul
April 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Although I don't mind hairdressers washing my hair, I hate hairdressers combing through my hair. They don't care if they rip it or not - I do.

Ivy~Rose
April 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
When I was growing out my hair last time, I loved having people touch my hair. I was in high school, and I loved being "petted"! But then one girl kind of... took ownership? I guess. She would just come over and run her fingers through my ponytail, without asking or saying anything, even if I didn't want to be touched. I was over my "being a puppy" phase and decided to cut it. I would have told her the day before, but she was out sick... so she came back the next day and it was all gone. She freaked out, but she didn't touch it anymore!

Now, I probably wouldn't want people aside from family/friends touching it, what with cold bugs flying around and me being very protective of my ends. However, my husband and the women in his family know how to be gentle & respectful with it, so they can touch it all they want :)

Arctic_Mama
April 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I can't recall a stranger asking to touch my hair, but I'm fairly chill with family and friends doing it. I've never had a bad experience with it, so that might color my perspective, but I almos wish more people wanted to play with it.

Maha
April 18th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I don\'t mind that much. As long as it is just brushing. I make sure I go through my hair first to get as many tangles that might be there out as possible first though.

Rentlle
April 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM
mno, i'm not oké..
I like it when people handle my hair, but they are always damaging it.. "brushing too hard, braiding it aggresively.. :s"
If I would find a person who would handle my hair gently, I wouldn't have a problem with it..

Sammich
April 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I love it when my hair is touched in any way! Except when it's damaging. It just sends little cutesy tingles down my spine. :) I'm scared of my DBF wanting to wash my hair or anyone doing it... but he's fine with doing a hair style. (as long as he isn't knotting my hair horribly!)
I do let my hair get wrestled, tangled in with my dog, but as long as it doesn't hurt me! :p It's pure fun.

ASillyKitty
April 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I don't like other people to touch my hair, except for my fiance. I have a very sensitive scalp and people just don't know how to be gentle. It's also a personal space thing.

adiapalic
April 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I love it when people play with my hair. Washing, scratching, brushing, braiding, everything.

I think the only time I disliked someone touching my hair was just last week when a girl I work with said "Oh, I HAVE to flop it" then grabs my braid that's hanging over my shoulder to the front and throws it up, it pulls on my scalp and slaps on my back. I was just disgusted with the way she did this, because she's a 19 year old who acts 12 who flopped my hair so carelessly and childishly. I've also figured out she has the habit of telling lies--mostly self-glorification.

But there was another girl who works with me who asked if she could touch my braid, and she gently takes it in her hand and feels it for just a moment and sighs and says "It's so soft" and smiles. That actually made me happy. :bluebiggr

So it depends on how someone goes about it really. :)

Nordlys
April 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
When I was kid I really hated when other people (family members, older people than me generally) came to me to complement my curly hair and touch it. And they were many!! It seems that the fact that my hair was very flexible and soft attracted all the others in the family, and the friends of the family, to touch it :mad:. I still don't like having other people touching my hair apart from my husband :). I love it when he does:D. He loves my curls :-)

Liss
April 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I don't mind people touching my hair. I've never had a complete stranger touch it, so I guess I would be a little freaked if that happened.

I can't stand it when people touch my skin, like those people who always feel the need to touch and arm or an elbow during conversation - that makes me shudder. But if they then touched my hair, I'm fine with it.

My boss used to hang around my desk to play with my hair, which I always liked. Probably inappropriate workplace behaviour, but he never did it when we were alone and he wasn't trying to hit on me, he just appreciated the opportunity to play with long silky hair and knew I wasn't freaked out by it.

I long for the day someone gives me a proper head massage, not those pathetic ones in salons while they wash my hair. I don't care what strange person puts strange stuff on my hair in return for a really good head massage.

LaineRB
April 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
I let my mom and a friend/coworker of mine french braid my hair from time to time since I am not good at it myself, I also allow my best friend to give me micro trims.

Wanderer09
April 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
If it's someone I know and trust, I like having my hair touched, whether it's gentle petting or playful pulling. :D Styling or even detangling is a no-no though, since I'm the only one who can do it with minimal damage or pain...

As for strangers, if they asked respectfully and if they didn't give off a creepy vibe, I'd be okay with letting them touch it. :)

Gwri WalltEuryn
April 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM
No one ever asks to, but I would love it if they did! They don't even have to be gentle, I can handle it!

So who wants to come over and play with it??

Aditi
April 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Nobody touches my hair except my aunt, my cousin, me and my hairdresser. So i really don't know how would i feel if a stranger will touch my hair.

kateeg
April 24th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I personally get really freaked out about it if -anyone- other than me touches my hair, it's just so fine and delicate and badly damaged that i believe i'm the only person who really understands just how gentle it needs to be handled! Slightly paranoid, yes. I am trying to wean myself off this habit though, because now my hair's getting longer my boyfriend loves to wash and brush it for me. I won't let him use the shampoo, not after the way he washes his hair (!! horrifying!), or dry it for me (even worse...) but I do let him condition it, and i've even started relaxing when he combs or brushes it instead of snapping every thirty seconds "careful!" "CAREFUL!!"

LoversLullaby
April 24th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Really the only people I let play with my hair for extended periods of time is my DBF. I'll let people in my family and very close friends touch it but not style it in any way.

Masara
April 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I'm going to be wierd, but I hate it when someone touches my hair too gently. When they touch it as if it was going to explode in their face. My hair needs to be handled "firmly".

My 8 year-old dd always wants to brush my hair, but she always asks when it's wet and I have to say no. I really need to teach her how to brush it properly.

sweet*things
April 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I let my daughter brush mine. I'm trying to teach her how to take care of her own hair and how to be gentle with hair in general. I try to avoid letting her do anything with elastics, I've lost too much hair letting her play with those.

Drunken creepers in bars are the usual people who try to touch my hair. I don't like that.

Rose J.
April 29th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I don't know how I feel about strangers touching my hair, because I've never had it happen. As for friends, sometime they'll touch it or put it in a silly hairstyle or something. Actually, I'm flattered that they want to touch my hair, and I don't worry about damage because my friends are more important to me than my hair. But my hair has so many split ends that I don't know what to do about, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Amelia
April 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
No one touches my hair.
It's not being proctetive, it's a 'thing' of mine. I hate to have people touch my hair. I'm just weird like that.

elina333
April 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I used to love it but now I hate it! Im soooo afraid they'll damage it... Whether it'd be hairdressers, friends styling it or just my DBF putting his arms around me when my hair is down :D

EbonyCurls
May 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
If I know them I don't mind. Sometimes I even feel flattered because hair is such a personal thing and most people don't like to touch other people's hair so I figure they must like it enough to not mind touching it.
I think it's a sweet gesture and I don't mind. If it gets mussed, it gets mussed; I don't spend anytime on it really anyway so it's not like anything's been destroyed.

Kirsty
May 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
I don't like people touching my hair, but sometimes my friends 'pet' it and say "Oh, it's so shiny!"... My male friends 'mess up' my hair as an affectionate gesture, but I just find it really annoying. For the most part, I don't like other people touching my hair. :)

growing2shine
May 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
I like when my best friend very carefully brushes my hair down my back. But when that is said I hate when other people and little children grabs/touches my hair. They just don't care for it as I do and I hate the sound of snapping hair :(

Gwendolene
May 4th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I find hair stroking, etc. to be a very sensual thing. So I'm not really into letting anyone but a bf do that. As to styling, I find most of my female friends are too rough with it.

Stylists at film and photo shoots are the worst, but I don't really get a choice there.

Burgundyhair
May 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I trust no one. The only exception I would make is if one was trained on how to care for long curly hair. These people do not exist where I live. Therefore, I trust no one! :)

Siava
May 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I don't mind my daughter handling it. She's got a gentle touch because her hair is curlier than mine so she knows what not to do. Anyone else though, hands off!

Meagan
May 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I love when people play with my hair, it's so relaxing and I love getting my hair and sculp washed at the hair salon, aahhh I want one now. I dont mind people playing with it, im not uptight about that unless they're being really rough.

pineconejg
May 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I like it when my DH touches it. My family can touch it gently. I don't mind having a hairdresser touch it (but I won't let her cut the length!)

When I was in the Peace Corps in Guatemala, complete strangers would touch my hair all the time without permission. I think they wanted to know if "yellow" hair felt the same as black hair.

JG

redtea
May 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I don't mind it too much as long as it's family or friends, but whenever I get a trim, I hate having someone else wash my hair.. especially when they take a little too long massaging my scalp... :shudder:

neon-dream
May 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I love people playing with my hair, though one of my room mates always takes out my hair sticks or undoes my braids so he can play with my hair. That gets on my nerves.

mrs carol
May 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Only two people can touch my hair besides me. My husband combs it for me in the evenings. My daughter trims the ends for me sometimes.

2peasinapod
May 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I took a family member up on her offer to comb my hair after I had gained some length (and waves :D). She used a tiny, fined toothed wooden comb and pulled more than I thought was necessary. After She was done, my waves were gone! She was so pleased with the result, but I was afraid my hair would be damaged!

Never again!

Crazy Diamond
May 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I never liked people touching my hair much. I always hated to be sent to the hairdressers or my grandmother oder mother doing my hair.

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Aargh, nobody else touches my hair! :D

kittylover
May 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I only let SO touch my hair because he won't rip or jank it. I absolutely cannot stand hairdressers touching my hair. My experience has been that they are very rough specially when washing and do not care being gentle when combing my hair. So I am trying to avoid hairdresser when possible.

Wanderer09
May 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM
My friend really wanted to brush it yesterday, so I let him. He very quickly learned I wasn't kidding when I said my hair doesn't like brushes. :p

ibleedlipstick
May 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have about 15 people that have the all clear on touching my hair- I love to have it touched by them, and I wish they would do it more. If someone asks, I'm okay with it. The cleanliness of the hands doesn't stress me too much, because I don't know many people who walk around with their hands repulsively dirty, and my hair washes.

HildeMV
May 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't really have a problem with it, unless it's a stranger or something like it.

I think it feels kind of good, like when a friend braids my hair.

I'm not a very touchy touchy person to begin with either. If someone even touches the fabric on my body, like to fold in a clothing tag on the back of my neck I jump a little. :p

Lavina
May 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I can't stand when someone touch my hair.I only let my boyfriend touch it.

Jenn of Pence
May 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I don't guess I mind hair touching too much, at least with people I know. My husband doesn't play with it a lot, but I do let him comb it sometimes; I think he enjoys it :)

lastnite
May 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM
not really. This may sound silly, but I feel like I'm the only one who can really "feel" my hair. Like I can feel if I'm brushing too hard. I can feel if I need to stop and untangle a knot with my fingers.

and don't even mention hardressers...it's ridiculous how they scrub you hair and then just rip through with a comb. The last one I went to was very nice with listening to how much I wanted cut, but she still just didn't know how to handle long hair. I cringed at how much hair was breaking when she was combing it out.

cardamom
May 10th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I once found a Schwartzkopf salon lady weaving my hair with her fingers while doing some protein treatment.She was pulling out my hair in bunches and scratching my scalp with her nails instead of massaging.
She was breaking knots(which she made herself) by pulling and breaking the tips.

And she said "Come again dear, you need regular extra treatments,your hair is falling a lot"!:mad:

Kathie
May 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I agree, hairdressers can be the worst! I’ve had some that scrub it with a towel to dry it and another that was fiercely brushing my hair, as she was doing so she said...” we have to get those ends off”. Really- the best way to get my ends of is by roughly dragging a brush through it??!!.... you’d think they’d know better

mattt
May 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
When it was long before my girlfriend played with it a lot, but as far as anyone else if they touched it it was usually to yank my pony or steal my hairtie, and gotta say I am not to fond of that.

renarok
May 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I am usually not fond of people messing with my hair for all of the above mentioned reasons. I had a mishap with my finger recently that left me somewhat one handed and I had to depend on others to detangle for me, I really appreciated my tangle teazer. Other people can't hurt you if you let them use one of those!!!! I hardly use it myself, but it has been a life saver these past couple of weeks.

AnaGeorgette
May 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I hate it when people touch my hair, unless it's my best friend brushing it for me. The worst is when my s.o. lies on my hair at night while I'm asleep, no matter how I put it up or arrange it he always manages to find a way to roll on top of it. =(

Locksmith
May 18th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I actually really like it when people play with my hair, it feels lovely! :D I make them promise to be gentle though... :p I won't let people brush it though or complete strangers touch it. I remember there was a girl at school who was always asking me whether she oculd straighten it... even though I'm a 1a... Oddness!

fishwich
May 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I don't mind it from friends. They love to pull my braid (gently) or poke my bun. They never do it to annoy me or when I'm in a rotten mood, so I just let them go ahead and do it, with one caveat: I've instituted a Braid Tax. Fifty cents a tug. Sometimes they even pay up.

Uinda
May 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I don't mind people touching my hair (except strangers on public transport, that's creepy). I sometimes do photo shoots just for fun and I enjoy the stylists handling my hair, although I don't let them brush it :)

reishka
May 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM
If it's someone I know well (close friends, family) then I don't mind it at all. Any stranger is strictly hands-off.

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Stragners- I would probably kill them or at least cut off their hand. I am always afraid that someone mean could cut my hair on the street. It's weird obsession, I know.

Hairdressers- they always make me cry because of pulling my hair. I am not saying anything about damage. It simply hurts like a hell.

Friend- yes, I love it. I love when someone trusted brushes my hair or braids it or just playing with it. I think it's my favorite thing in general. I would trade a lot for fifteen minutes of playing with my hair.

LadyLongLocks
May 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I only let family members touch my hair, but they hardly ever do. I usually have my hair up so I avoid people even noticing my hair. The Person who touches my hair most is my husband since he helps trim and helps me take down buns.
I would hate going to a salon. If they ripped and yanked I would probably punch them :uhh:

Animae
May 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'll let my best friend play with it. she loves to sproing my curls.

I'll also let my boy play with it, but he's pretty much the only guy that I'll let really play with my hair. Maybe I'll let a close guy friend do it.

I kinda don't like it when people pet me. I'm sorry but I'm not a dog.

Adamia
May 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I love it when people mess with my hair, unless they are rough.

Holly9192
May 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
ahhhh i love people to gently play with my hair, it feels soo good :D

kabelaced
May 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM
My mom would style and play with my hair all of the time when I was little, and she was pretty gentle with it. Then came my oldest stepsister, and she was always very cautious (even more gentle than my mom - it felt like she barely even brushed it), so I felt safe letting her handle my hair.

My brother messed with it once because he said, and I quote, "You don't do enough girly stuff with your hair" (hahaha! :wacko:), and he handled it okay for a man. I expected him to rip the brush through my hair or something, and he actually did all right. Hm...

Besides that, hairdressers are the only other ones who have handled my hair, and I've had a few that were pretty rough (their hands were freezing cold, too! Aieee!). Learned my lesson, did not go back to them again!

I trust the ones who have handled my hair already, and if someone else wanted to play with my hair in the future, well, I guess I would probably let them.

ItalianFlower
May 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
In general, I think other people playing with my hair feels very good. So, since I take SUCH good care of it normally, letting others occasionally play with it is like a little indulgence for me. I also sometimes do it to prove a point: so many people think my hair would look SO good a certain way...so I let them do it that way and when it doesn't look good, then the subject gets dropped. It's awesome. :)

beez1717
May 27th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I love it when others help me with my hair routine. I guess that's because I only ask people whom I trust with my hair. I mean it makes me really happy when my hair is done in a way that is different from usual, because it can be done easier with help from someone else.

AbigailR84
May 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
When my sisters and I were younger, we'd do each other's hair a lot, but other than that I've never really had anyone messing with my hair. Since my hair's only BSL, I would trust other people to handle it, but it's just not something that comes up in my day-to-day life.
I agree with what some of the others have said, though...it does feel really nice when someone gently brushes or styles your hair.

Edit: I just remembered a couple of weeks ago, a young girl in one of my music classes sat next to me and started playing with my hair. I wouldn't have minded, but I was trying to teach a class, so I asked her to stop.

grmn-rpnzl
May 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Not many people touch me hair, for one its short, two, my DH is very ackward when he tries to massage my scalp, i dont know how he does it, but everytime he puts his hand in my hair it gets wrapped around his fingers and hands and he ends up pulling hair or knotting it. Hairdressers are too rought on my scalp especially when they have long nails, i usually wash my hair right before i go there to save time, money, and hair. I use to love when my mom did my hair, we would lay on the couch together and she would gently run her fingers on my scalp through my hair. It use to give me chills. I miss having someone play nicely with my hair. I love playing with people hair, i know whats its like to have long hair and how to be gentle.

Foxknot
May 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I can't stand when people touch my hair, except for a select few. x_x I have a weird thing about people touching me in general, though. If someone who I don't know or am uncomfortable with touches me or plays with my hair, it makes me twitch, and sometimes I get made fun of for it. >: It's worse when people touch my hair, though...

Emerson
May 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I love when my husband brushes my hair, it feels great & it's really relaxing....hate having other people touch, wash, handle my hair LOL

GlassEyes
May 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm fine if people 'boing' my curls, or something, but I find if they try to run their fingers through my hair I get -terribly- annoyed. Brushing is out, and I don't let people comb my hair or anything unless it's my sister.

TinyTim
May 31st, 2010, 11:44 PM
only mom and thats cuz she taught me how to take care of it and ponytail it and stuff. she likes it long so i let her play with it, but no girly styling or anything.

Dragon
June 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I dont let anyone anymore. People are always to ruff. I use to do Certificate 11 in hairdressing and they recked my hair throw all the ruff combing while wet, blowdrying, styling which nearly always involved straightening. I let them do a semi Permanent colour once and they put in 4 blond foils I dident want. I dident want anything permanent. It made my hair so dry and even more frizzy after woulds. It worries me they may damage my hair. And that they may hert my scalp throw all the pulling. The damage has been cut out and its long agin now.

anodyne_ame
July 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I hate it when others touch my hair with dirty (especially slightly sweaty) hands!
I always wash my own hands before playing with my hair so I hate the warm clamminess when others stick their fingers in my mane.

So usually I only let my mother handle my hair.

Also, whenever I wear a cinnamon bun, some people but especially my brother finds it irresistible to stick their finger in the hole in the center...

Long_hair_guy
July 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I don't mind it. The girls in the office like playing with my hair.

The only person i don't like touching my hair is my mother for two reasons. She hates my hair and she pulls it too hard (even a few hairs fall out)

anthonyswife
July 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I don't mind people touching it, but I dislike people running their fingers through it because, being curly, they inevitably hit a snarl, which really hurts as I have a very sensitive scalp. I usually don't say anything to them though. lol

zman
July 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM
NOt really. My girlfriend when i was travelling in south america liked to run her fingers through it and stuff, but thats about it. I dont really like it when other people play with it and braid it.

Airmide
July 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE having my hair played with, More than about nearly anything else. I like having fingers run through it or even pulled as long as it's not like only a few strands at a time and might break.

I get nervous about anyone else brushing it. No one else really styles it but I'd probably let someone if I trusted them reasonably and they didn't use any products that I hadn't pre-approved. My hair is long enough that I can braid it partway and tie it off and pull it around front and let someone practice a braid or something while watching what they're doing to make sure it's safe.

As far as strangers touching it, my hair is long enough that it frequently gets attention if I wear it out down or in a braid. Some people politely ask to touch it and I usually let them. Other people look like they're just drawn to it and can't resist lol and as long as they're gentle it doesn't bother me. I think almost always it's women who want to touch it. I suppose it would bother me if someone was acting totally creepy about it lol, or if they looked dirty or sick. But I've never really had that happen.

I'm actually fairly paranoid about it. If I'm in a crowd I usually put my hair in front of me. I worry that someone might (carelessly or intentionally) put something in it, catch it with a match or cigarette or worst case chop it off. I worry most about what someone would do behind my back, not someone complimenting me and then doing something bad.

At LHC meets I don't think twice about letting anyone touch it, pet it or comb it. Usually everyone there is as or even way more careful than I am! I appreciate when someone arranges it for a picture, and I often help smooth out flyaways and stuff when we're doing a group shot. When I do I always try to be even more careful than I would with my own hair.

Drynwhyl
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I usually hate it.
The other day I let my DBF of 2.5 years brush it for me and it was like the ultimate bond we made :D
But it's not just my hair, I don't like people touching me in any way (except him).

Aredhel77
July 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I LOVE it when people play with my hair. It just doesn't seem to happen very often :(

*goes off and hugs self* LOL

Crackaleen
July 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
It really depends on the person. If it's a complete stranger, then it kind of weirds me out. I'm very American in that I don't like having my personal space invaded by just anyone. I have to say though, I really haven't had much experience with complete strangers coming up to me and touching my hair. Maybe it's just where I live or the fact that I don't wear it down that often...
I generally love it though, when people I know play with my hair. But their hands must be clean and dry. I hate the feeling of sticky/sweaty/clammy hands on my hair!

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I like when friends or relatives handle my hair but I hate when strangers want to touch it. shudder:

BlackVulture
July 9th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Generally I don't mind. As long as they're not raking through and damaging it I'm cool with whatever. I just go with the flow.

Gnomentum
July 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I always used to love having my hair played with, but I don't think I'd trust too many people these days. I'm at the same sort of point with my 3yo DD too!

swellmel
July 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
dh tries to play with my hair because he knows how much i love having fingers run through my hair but he manhandles it! :doh:he tries to be gentle but most of the time it just doesn't work out. :p my girls (6 & 4) love to brush my hair. as long as i brush it first to get rid of any tangles they do really well with it. they had to learn how to be gentle with my hair though- when they first started to play with my hair i had to demonstrate more than once that you only brush down- never up!

PiroskaCicu
July 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't like it if a stranger handled/touched my hair without asking me, and even if they did I would not appreciate it really. It seems a bit gross. Of course if it's a child I'd be ok with it. :-)

I like when others play with my hair though, like my little sister, mom, or boyfriend. It feels very nice! However I am still a bit wary...sometimes they are not the gentlest with regards to hair....but I live with it. I try to teach my little sister how to handle her hair better. She has nearly waist length, 2b hair and it's very fine. It's full of damage because she hardly uses conditioner and brushes it very roughly. :P

Ava666
July 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I love when people play with my hair, although no petting. As long as I know the person I'm usually fine, if they are above a certain age, and know how to treat hair.

Strangers? NO, They aren't allowed to touch me (unless they have a good reason) let alone my hair...

Hair dressers? umm, I don't have money to go to a salon place, so that solves that problem, plus being allergic to some chemicals in many shampoo's so I don't want to get my hair treated.

BranwenWolf
July 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Right now that privilege is only for my mother and very close friends. I don't like non-immediate family or my parents friend's touching it.
Strangers will be screamed at, especially if they mess with my bun or pull.

Though having a crush gently run their hands through my hair might just melt me into a puddle of estrogen. :D

DARKMARTIAN
July 12th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Ill be honest......when I go out....(depending on where I go).....women tend to want to touch my hair alot. Its something Ive just gotten used to and I know that they do it with good intentions so Im usually okay with it.

Besides......often times it feels very pleasant.

Svenja
July 12th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Only my partner is allowed to handle my hair, and he enjoys combing it.

PrincessBob
July 12th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I remember the way my mom dealt with my hair as a child... :run: I have a super tender scalp, and I am reduced to tears by the tiniest tug, not to mention snagging a tangle. She was super rough and said it would help toughen up my scalp. She was wrong. I bawled my eyes out every day, my nose running and dripping down my chin, and I still react that way when my hair gets tugged. :violin:
Sometimes at parties, bars, or dance clubs other ladies decide it will be okay to grab my braids while we dance, and I try to be civil, but generally end up walking out of the fun to go sob in the bathroom for a minute. Sometimes even dear friends forget and then a wandering hand will get a ring lodged in my hair, or while my hair is down drying from my last shower they decide to try to detangle a bit of it, triggering convulsive spasms of pain. My husband lays in dread on evenings when I have showered that he will awaken to the tearful whisper of those dreaded words, "On my hair, on my hair!" Honestly, I :pray:wish:pray: I could let others play with, pet, brush, or put up my hair. It is at the length where I wish I could ask for a hand with it, it snarls so badly, that I have a bit of trouble with brushing the mid-range of it. Short is not the answer-in many ways shorter hair tangles and hurts worse for me. Long hair is the way to live.
Meh,
Princess Bob

Mirrimblackfox
September 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM
*hugs* Princess Bob, I am guilty of accitentaly pulling her hair :( *hangs head in shame* I wish I could fix it!

Speckla
September 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I'm fine with my husband touching my hair. He knows to be gentle. He usually helps me comb the back because I have such a hard time removing the tangles. He's saved my hair many times from my rough combing frustrations.

sunrain
September 11th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I like having my dad brush my hair. He's actually the one who taught me how to brush without damaging my hair. He used common sense, thinking "Gee, ripping through a knot will probably damage my daughter's hair. What technique can be used to untangle her hair more gently?" And what do you know, common sense rules out! I like it when people braid and style my hair as long as they know what they are doing. And now that I know better, without using any product at all unless it's organic. If they are being too rough, then of course I don't want them to play with my hair! Lately, I wish more people would touch/play with my hair.

Catarina
September 11th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I miss having my hair brushed. It always feels like a good scalp massage when I go the hairdressers' and they comb and dry my hair. Maybe I should ask my husband to comb my hair occasionally. I don't know why I haven't. It might help my growth rate since it can feel stimulating.

Bene
September 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Normally, I don't let people play with my hair, but yesterday, I was having lunch with a friend and while we were talking, he interrupted me, got the most desperate look on his face and blurted out "Can I feel your bun? :bigeyes:" The anxiety in his eyes cracked me up, so I let him. He reached over and gave my lazy wrap a gentle squeeze and was all "Ooooh, soft!", the relief on his face was priceless. Then he told me how his mom would put her hair up like that and he'd give it a squeeze when he was a little kid.

He has a bit of an OCD problem and gets the urge to touch things. Apparently, he's been fighting the urge to squeeze my bun for some months now :laugh:. I told him that as long as he's gentle he can squeeze my bun whenever he likes.

Hair_n_Hawaii
September 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
The longer my hair get the more protective I am when anyone tries to touch it, especially hair stylists. It seems to catch on things ( watches, rings) and I wince when a hair breaks getting it loose.

Mirrimblackfox
September 12th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I love having people I know play with my hair, but I strongly dislike having strangers do so. And I hate it, like punch someone in the face hate it, if someone pulls on my hair if I am out dancing or something.

mira-chan
September 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I'm the only one that handles my hair in general but my mother trims it (no combing) and I'm fine with Tanuki (fiance) touching it. I don't like when others touch it.

arwenevenstar37
September 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I love it when my boyfriend combs or runs his fingers through it. Also, I am a ballerina so I grew up around lots of girls always together and I love it when they do my hair. We have always been used to combing, bunning, braiding, etc each other's hair and I feel like it shows the closeness that we have.
I also don't mind if my dad or my sister comb it (mom is a bit rough with it)
But I am not ok with strangers touchin my hair!!!

bluesnowflake
September 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm fine with it if it's someone in my family or a close friend just playing with it, but I don't like people to braid/style my hair, because I don't trust them to be as careful as I am with my hair. Maybe that's just me being OCD about not hurting my hair, but whatever :p

julia941
September 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I don't really like people touching it when they comment on it. When it was curly people would sometimes touch it and ask if it was natural. Now that it is straight again and not quite APL people don't seem to feel the need to touch it, but when I was younger and it was very long and blond people often touched it. I lived in Malaysia for many years and women would often want to touch the blond hair of a little girl I used to babysit, but it was a more of a reverent, "blessings on their heads" kind of thing.
I love having my hair brushed and played with, fingers run through it, scalp massages, etc. I wish somebody would do it more without me having to ask, or worse, having to pay someone else to do it. Again, in Malaysia, the salon in my little town offered a S&C with scalp, neck and shoulder massage that was fantastic, lasted almost an hour, and cost very little. I wish I could find something like that here in the States. The best I can find is a seated massage but I don't want to ask them to do much to my scalp because they can be rough with my hair.
My heart goes out to those who are tender-headed. I'm not or else my childhood would have been a nightmare. My great-grandmother's braiding style doubled as a face lift and if you didn't sit still you could get whacked in the head with a comb. Yikes!

emmebean
September 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I love having my hair played with. Since I don't hang around with strangers, no chance of them touching me :) Usually just the girls, my girls at work, and if I'm really lucky my hubby will brush it for me.

ETA:

Don't hang around with strangers sounds bad.....
I work with the public 12 hours per day...not where they can touch me (hopefully)
When I'm not at work, I refuse to be with people :)
hence the no strangers

Tom Steinberg
September 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Depends... if someone wants to touch my hair because they like it then it's fine.... if they just think it's freaky I don't like it.

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I am the only one who does my hair. I'm worried about them hurting my scalp and them makeing my hair really knotty as well as damaging it. Have had to many bad experiences.

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I only prefer myself and my hairdresser to style my hair.

Mangachan
October 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I don't really like people in my hair. They usually do the following:

-grab chunks of it just for kicks
-mess up my curl/coil definition
-trying to be smart alack-y about it. They will grab it and say something like "oh, you nedd to do XYZ to it."

FrozenFlame22
October 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not big on being touched at all, so anyone handling my hair seems like a huge violation of personal space. However I do like my husband to brush and play with it. I'm trying to teach him to braid since I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

FoxRain
October 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I love when people play with my hair. Like massages my scalp and combs it gently with their hands. Stuff like that makes me purr like a kitten.
What I don't like is when others are styling my hair (combing, brushing, putting it into different styles). They are always so rough and I end up thinking "Relax, you maniac! This isn't the national truck-pulling championships!".
I don't know if they just pull that much in my hair, because if they do that to their own hair, then how do they have anything left on their head? :rolleyes:

Octave
October 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
The only person I ever let to touch my hair is my mum. ;)
And a few friends...

zombie pinup
October 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I don't really have a problem with other people doing my hair. My roommate does it all the time because its so much longer then hers. And my partner loves my hair he does super good pony's and braids and he loves to touch it aw. I just don't like when random friends friend does my hair super tight an it gives me a head ache or using greasy products since that leads to build up.

JulietCapulet
October 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I guess this usually is not a problem for me...but I try to make sure they handle it carefully when I am in the salon.

nellreno
October 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Right now there's only one person who I can trust to take care of my hair for me (if she was close enough to do so). She knows the problems I've had with hairloss lately and understands the emotional problems I get from that, so she'd be as gentle as possible. And, she's a longhair herself.

I've had a few friends offer, but I've seen how they treat their hair and it made me wince to see it.

wackyredtangles
October 24th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I like it when DH touches my hair, or when a few friends do my hair, but I'm not ok with just random people walking up to me and touching my hair. Which has never happened, but say it did, I would tell them to stop.

catamonica
July 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Its been thirty years since I have been to a salon. Luckly I have no split ends because of the
horse shampoo Im using. The salons are sissor happy. And if your older & your hair is Waist
length like mine, I know they would love to cut it off. I will trim my own hair thank you very much! Its not hard to trim your own hair. And salons are expensive when your on a budget.

irishlady
July 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
No I do not. They're either too rough, or it just bugs me anyway. I suppose I'm Obsessive Compulsive.

mallorykay13
July 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
They can touch it. When they start to be like, LET ME COMB IT. CAN I STYLE IT? I'm like NO. They end up ripping my hair!

TheMechaGinger
July 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I think there's only four people in my life that ever really touch my hair, my dad used to when I was a little girl before he died (I'd pick out all my favorite barrettes and put half of them in his hair and he'd put the other half in mine), my mom and my grandma still do (they like brushing and braiding it) and my boyfriend. He likes brushing my hair, and he has long hair himself so he knows how important it is to be gentle with it. As for complete strangers touching my hair? Not a fan of that.

Yame
July 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I like it when people touch and play with my hair.

didrash
July 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I don't like anyone handling my hair, not even DH. It not out of fear of it being damaged or unsanitary, I just find the feeling... odd and not very pleasant.

celebriangel
July 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Having my hair played with is a very intimate thing. My boyfriend has free reign, as do one or two of my closest "family" (friends). Everyone else has to ask - if they're a good friend, I will probably say yes. No one else is allowed. I barely tolerate hairdressers touching it. The next time I go, I plan to go in with washed, detangled hair, and ask them to do nothing except cut it.

I love people playing with my hair if the above conditions are met. It is very relaxing. Most close friends know how I feel about my hair, so they are careful.

discoisntdead
July 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I quite like it. I love getting scalp massages and having my hair braided.

sun-kissed
July 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I let my grandmother french-braid my hair, which she has done since I was very little. Other than that, no one related to me likes playing with hair.

My siblings are not allowed to touch it for fear of their LIVES. Once my sister and I where in the pool and she grabbed my hair and it snapped.. yeah, it wasn't pretty.
I love it when strangers (not guys, though) tell me how beautiful my hair is, but I would prefer they not touch it, just because it makes me uncomfortable.

My friends are never(!) allowed to touch it. Never, never, NEVER!
Once a few years ago I had a not-so-close friend over for the night, and she started brushing my hair, much to my dislike. I told her to please not, and when she kept asserting herself about it I said to be VERY carefull. She started at the top of my head with her brush, and yanked it down my hair. I heard hair snapping like crazy! I told her I thought that was bad for my hair, but she assured me she always brushes her own hair like that and it is just fine.
Still growing out the damage from that day. No one touches my hair unless I give them special permission. No one.

Speckla
July 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I very much dislike other people besides my husband or son touching my hair. Hairdressers are too rough and try to pull a comb through my wet hair minus the conditioner!! Or worse a round metal brush!

fandango
July 31st, 2011, 05:31 AM
I've always found hair-touching to be very intimate. As a child I can remember getting really upset when someone other than my father touched my hair. But I'm fairly resigned about it, now. It would only bother me if a complete stranger touched my hair, or if the person had really grubby hands. Just as long as they stay away from my neck! I can't stand people touching my neck.

constancev18
August 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't like it. Probably bc I wear it down so infrequently that I am unused to the way it feels against my own body. Someone else touching it really feels weird.

SugarFang
August 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
The only person who handles my hair regularly is my husband. He likes running his fingers through it and petting on it sometimes. Other then that, I don't mind friends touching it or braiding it, but no one else. Other people touching my hair makes me uncomfortable. It's a personal space thing.

QueenJoey
August 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
No one may touch my hair! Ever! Except occasionally my sister when she wants to try out hairstyles on me, it's hard to say no, you know? But even though it's usually just a braid, and she's very gentle, I still cringe the whole time.

My mom is absolutely not allowed to come near my hair. She pulls and tugs and hurts me. :(

Diesel Tech
August 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
The only time anybody has touched my hair is at work. Even just as a joke, nothing agressive, but still almost beat the crap out of the 2 people that did. Other than that, nobody touches my hair.

Idjit
August 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Nobody ever touches my hair except my SO once decided he was going to comb it for me which was really cute and I wouldn't mind him doing that again. And my brother occasionally tugs on it, which is meant to annoy me and it does but it's my brother so it's okay.

I'm a preschool teacher and I absolutely cannot stand when my children try to mess with my hair. They'll 'brush' it with various plastic tools or 'cut' it with plastic pliers. One girl almost got a l shaped straight edge thingy stuck in it!:bigeyes: So we don't play with Casey's hair anymore...

AreWild
August 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
For the most part I don't let anyone touch my hair. I'm uber introverted and have a huge personal space "bubble" though, so it's rare that anyone tries. The only exceptions are my husband (who has an all-access pass into the bubble, although he doesn't play with my hair as much as I might like) and my mom. My mom isn't much for physical contact either, but I've asked her to do my hair a couple of times when I needed a very neat up-do for job interviews.

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I actually love when people play with my hair! When I was little my sister loved to do my hair and I used to lay my head in my grans lap and she would pet the hair. Its a very comforting thing for me. I even let the nieces play with it and do their silly pigtails and things lol. I guess I see it as why not have fun with it when im just growing it for the heck of it lol. I do also love when I cuddle the DH and he pets my hair:)

UP Lisa
August 3rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
I would like it, but my hair is so fragile that I can't let them.

CastaDiva
August 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
I don`t mind as long as they treat it very carefully and their hands aren`t dirty:)

Ligeia_13
August 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
i like people playing with my hair, it hypnotises me. Unfortunately, my hair is not that fantastic looking, so nobody ever wants to :p

knittingyogini
August 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
I haven't really had any offers outside going to the salon since my hair has gotten long. People used to touch it all the time when it was really short. I'm actually kind of curious whether I would like it. I hate to get my feet massaged for example, but I think having my hair touched might be different.

Signe
August 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
I let my BF touch my hair. I love it soooooo much. I will let most anyone touch my hair if they ask nicely and are not weird about it. I love love love when my friends braid it or play with it :p

katythegreat
August 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
It always bothers me when other people touch my hair. Hair feels like such a personal thing that touching it feels like an invasion of personal space. I like to keep my "space bubble" to myself.

heidimarie
August 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I only let my mom and a couple of good friends do anything with my hair

McFearless
August 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
i like people playing with my hair, it hypnotises me. Unfortunately, my hair is not that fantastic looking, so nobody ever wants to

Same here :p It feels soooo relaxing.

katythegreat
August 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Really? I would think it might be odd. Sort of like having someone else put lotion on your hands or something. :)

Quixii
August 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Generally I don't like it/let others touch my hair. DBF is allowed to pet it, maybe run his fingers through it gently. My mom is allowed to style it. I've let a couple friends do some things to it, very rarely. But generally, I am the one in charge of and the only one I want touching my hair.

I'm kind of afraid of damage, but mostly I just don't like the feeling. Not sure why.

Lady Malys
August 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I love to have my hair played with by someone I am close to (my daughter, DBF, sister). I don't like when someone I don't know well tries to touch my hair (rather like when strangers tried to touch my stomach when I was pregnant).

DBF has amazing hair and I love to brush it and play with it and happily he lets me :D

RainbowHawk
August 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I've had too many bad experiences with letting other people touch my hair. The idea sends shivers down my spine. :(

RockyChristine
August 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I really don't mind it. Then again, my hair wouldn't tangle if it were given instructions or a back-combing, so I'm fine with other people playing with my hair.

Regan
August 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
no children. they're grubby and gross. anyone else who is gentle, polite and clean - sure, why not. it feels nice.

wtchmel
August 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I love to have my hair 'played' with, yet, no one does it. If anyone wants to, i'd just let them have at it, even if it was some random stranger. It doesn't bother me in the least, and i don't worry about damage. After being on this site and the previous one before this for sooooo many years, i realized that worrying about damage is something I shouldnt' be concerned with, mainly because in the early years of being on hair boards, i was massivly obsessed with that and the hair thing in general ( i re-read an old archived blog/journal the other day,lol) and now my hair is in the best condition it's ever been in, and i dont' do shisit to it!!
Dang, sorry about that, can you say rambling,lol......

ericthegreat
August 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
With my close friends and family relatives, I don't even have to question their motives. I'm usually okay with most strangers touching my hair, as long as the person is respectful and everything is on the up and up about him or her. I've had my hair braided and twisted and bunned and all sort of other styles done my friendly strangers, usually mostly women who are astounded to find a guy with hair that is usually much longer than theirs. I've had guys who also approach me about my hair, usually they are other longhairs or they used to be longhairs and seeing me brings back memories.

But, I've also unfortunately gotten the attention of some men who were really pervy and shady. Clearly they want something more from me which I don't intend on giving them, so to these kind men I become very cold. I instantly then give off a "back off" vibe, and I make sure they understand that I want nothing to do with them.

swearnsue
August 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
My hair is only 2 inches long but after I wash it I ask my DH to feel it and ask if it is soft. He kinda pats it and says yeah it's pretty soft. Sometimes I ask him to pet my hair but he doesn't really get it. I think when it's long he will feel more like playing with it. I hope!

melbournian
August 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty cool with people (as long as they're not strangers) playing with my hair. My hair is straight and doesn't tend to tangle so it's not a big deal. My mum and my sister both brush and style my hair, which I love, and my SO runs his hands through it as well which is also very enjoyable.

grape
August 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I like it when people play with my hair, but people don't do so normally. Most of my friends and family aren't touchy like that and I seem to have a generally unapproachable demeanor haha. I just don't like it when they pull it or tangle it, but then again, who does?

Evalea
August 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I am fine with family and close friends playing with my hair. Strangers--no way!
I do have to say, I did not think it was all that funny when my mom tried to pull the stick out of my Chinese bun in the middle of church! :)

AlabasterAlice
August 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Urg. It ticks me off when people just come up and pet my hair, or head. It seems that because I'm petite and have long-ish hair (at least compared to all the pixie cut to shoulder length girls around here) people just think it's totally cool to mess with my hair, pat me on the head, etc. Excuse me, I'm not your dog. Stop that.

I guess I kind of know how pregnant ladies feel when people just up and rub their belly.

I have had a friend of mine start finger combing my hair gently though, and she did a good job! It felt really nice and she never once pulled or snagged my hair. If someone knows what they're doing and doesn't have ulterior motives (unless they're DH or DBF, in that case, ulterior motives are welcomed) they can play with my hair, brush it, and braid it if they please. This is all, of course, if it's down. If my hair is up, you'd better not touch it! I worked to get it up in that style, and I don't want to have to unnecessarily do it again.

Issmene
August 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I like it. As long as they aren't hairdressers, haha xD Some seem to be so harsh with my hair. But a friend of mine braids my hair and I braid hers, it's fun.

Shesta
August 17th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I'd love to have someone treating my hair as gentle as I do, to braid and help me with some fancy hairstyles, but unfortunately I still haven't found that person. Last night I let my mom play with it a bit and had to realize again that she's either too harsh with it or too gentle which never leads to a good-looking AND stable hairstyle. So that was it. I only trust my own hands. Well, my bf likes to touch it which I don't mind - he treats it with quite some respect. :)

Crocus
August 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I like my hair being touched. There is something very relaxing to me having someone brush my hair or getting it washed at the salon. But I would frown on complete strangers touching my hair. That would not be relaxing and depending on the circumstances could involve me digging my pepper spray out of my pocketbook just in case.

wooliswonderful
August 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I love when my husband plays with my hair.
When I had classic plus hair random people would come up and touch it and that wasn't cool.
My husband's used to be mid-back and they did it to him too, and he doesn't even like it when I play with his hair!

Kayla Nyx
August 18th, 2011, 11:46 PM
the only people I really let touch my hair are my mother and my boyfriend... otherwise I freak out if someone comes up behind me and touches my hair. you know, unless I ask one of my friends to braid it for me.

pastel
August 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Sometimes my children will play with my hair and brush it but overall I don't like anyone touching my hair (or me in general). Plus, my kids are pretty rough on my hair and rip it out sometimes so I have to tell them to stop.

Selkietea
August 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I enjoy when some people play with my hair, I get really relaxed.

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I love having people play with my hair! Granted I've never had a complete stranger try to play with it so I'm not sure how I would react to that. It would probably depend on how they approached me.

Melanie Marie
August 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm kind of weird with this subject i.e. my hierarchy of who is allowed to touch my hair is weird. :p Normally I don't like anyone touching my hair other than me because I simply don't trust them to treat it properly. However, I let people I trust/ like touch my hair. My very close friends are always allowed to touch my hair, and other people who I know and trust.

I'm not okay with men touching my hair. My dad is the only man I am comfortable touching my hair. He brushed and detangled my hair for me when I was very young, so I guess that memory of trust has just carried through. He is the one who trims my hair for me, and I trust him more than my sister when it comes to my hair (maybe even more than my mom). You would think I would trust Mom or my sister more, but it's actually not the case. :p

Turtle
August 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I guess I'm a bit paranoid. I don't like people touching my head at all, hair included. But of course, people love to touch other people's long hair. So it happens anyway and I try not to bite the people who don't know better. :hatchet:

The reason I learned how to style my own hair is because it's always made me uncomfortable to have someone else do it for me. Maybe I'm just too grumpy. ;)

Caldonia Sun
August 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I do not mind if someone touches my hair, but I don't want anyone brushing, washing or doing anything else that might tug on my sensitive scalp.

Shanbot
August 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Before I started really growing in earnest, I was much more inclined to let people touch/play with my hair (ooh, especially people who know cool braids!). Now, depending on what fancy concoction I just put on, I have to warn people that they may come away smelling like deliciousness/oily/who-knows-what...but really, I only let lady friends or my boyfriend touch. (Sorry mom! You're just too rough!:cheese:) AND... There's no way some stranger would be allowed to touch me and NOT pull back a nub! No one really tries that with me, so I must put off some grouchy vibes, heh.

Linika
August 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
I enjoy it when people who are careful with my hair plays with it :) Pulling fingers through it, petting it, braiding and brushing, it's all enjoyable :D

However I dislike any kind of disruption to my hair or hairdo. If someone just messes with it, I get angry. I find that very disrespectful towards me as a person :(

WinterButterfly
August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
I don't like other people in my hair. When I was a kid my mom would always make my sister and I cry, she was so rough. So I'm afraid that others would be too agressive with it. I also gringe at the thought of someone using their hair tools on me. I don't want to share sebum. But it is ok if my husband is gentle with it if he wants to play with it. My kitty can nap in it too if he doesn't start eating it. Plus, he can't give me fleas.

stacyyyy1972
August 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
I dont mind friends and family playing with my hair but my saying is that having long hair is like having a baby bump..everyone wants to touch it. It is very annoying to me when I dont know you and you reach to touch my hair :/

boomtownrat
August 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My fiance doesn't really touch my hair, and in fact I don't recall being with too many guys who did. It's not that I wouldn't let them, it's that they didn't really try.

I'm not a touchy-feely kind of person, so I don't think I'd feel comfortable with people handling my hair other than my fiance or whoever is styling my hair.

Ardellis
August 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
My husband's not the hair-touchy type, usually, nor are most of my friends. I think maybe living in New England, where personal space is traditionally a pretty big deal, has a discouraging effect on most strangers.

My boss's boss, though -- she seems to have a bit of a thing for my hair and while I've gotten used to it over the years, it was a little weird at first. She likes to pet my hair sometimes if I'm wearing it down and she passes behind my chair in the conference room, and the first time she saw me with hair sticks in she waved her hands around behind her own head and said (in the middle of a meeting): "What's going on back there?" I wonder if she maybe once had (or wished she had) longer hair.

purple dust
August 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I remember that two women close to my family but incredibly nosey went and touched my hair and combed it without my permission. I wouldn't mind someone touching it if they asked or showed appreciation (not just a way to put my hair down).

When I was 15, my cousin's wife grabbed a brush and started doing the deeds... I know that she didn't understand that what she was doing was wrong, but I couldn't help not letting some tears run down my face because it's way beyond hair, THAT'S INVASIVE. Worse of all, I had to remain silent because I didn't want any confrontation, plus she was older and had to be "respected" or so I thought at the time. My mom stood up for me, but after it all was over and I wasn't present. Hair doesn't represent drama for me, people not asking is what does.

When I was 18, one of my mom's friends started doing the same thing, I bursted down in tears and my mom said I was being immature and that I was perfectly capable of talking... yeah right, if I did, it would have been something like PUT YOUR FRIGGIN HANDS OUT OF MY HAIR, I'M NOT YOUR F. BARBIE DOLL, I HAVEN'T ASKED YOU FOR ADVICE AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, GO ON WITH YOUR STUPID F... LIFE AND GOSSIP ABOUT NOTHING WITH MY MOM, I'LL WAIT IN THE CAR. Wonder how that would have made my mom look as a parent if I let all the hate out of my chest...

But know I stand up for myself, anyone can touch my hair, as long it isn't an excuse to let me down.

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I get freaked out. I trust my husband the most I'd say.

becks113
January 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM
When my hair was a million colors I used to have random strangers grabbing it..-.- but now that it's all one color & boring I don't get much hair attention anymore, that's okay.

Darkessa
January 9th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I hate when other people touch my hair, it terrifies me when the rib brushes through it!!!
Plus they always wanna throw heat on it!
Nope!

Renate
January 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Ugh no, I hate when people touch my hair.

Olafwa
January 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I don't mind my friends/family braiding, or doing an updo. Though I always put it up into the pony/bun myself. Combing/cutting NEVER! I don't even like people waving around scissors or knives jokingly. (that sounds dangerous, but it's always non-danger like lol) If you have a sharp object and it goes behind my head I'm so ticked. I have a sensitive head so it's more a matter of pain than damage that I don't let people comb it, though damage would be a serious concern if not sensitive. I guess if they really waned to, I would probably comb it myself first, then let them just run the comb through it. Strangers who touch my hair just creep me out. I've never had more than just to pick up the braid, but it's still weird. I also don't trust any pro hair people, not that I've had a bad experience, I just don't. I'm also all for spending less money, hehe.

wicked kisses
January 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
back in the day before I shaved the sides off, I had this hip length, golden blond. I swear it had magical magnetic powers to draw in the creepy types on the street. At least twice I had some stranger come up and pet me!! CREEPY!
But when one of my SOs pet it, I'm flattered. It's affectionate.
So, like many of you, I don't mind if its someone I know, who knows how hard I work at maintaining its health.

Long_hair_bear
January 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I don't mind if it's my hairdresser of 7 years or my hubby, but anyone else, hands off. :draw:

battles
January 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I loooove having my hair touched if I know the person and I'm comfortable with them. When I had a pixie, friends used to rub the back of my head and it would nearly put me to sleep. :p No one has really played with my hair since it's grown past my normal length.

If I don't know them, I'd probably be pretty freaked out.

aisha.christine
January 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I can't stand being touched without permission by anyone, and there is no exclusion to my hair. If someone asks, then I don't mind, but I often get really uncomfortable with being touched. shudder: That being said, no one touches my hair anyways, so I'm pretty safe. :p

KwaveT
January 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I have never had the problem of anybody but my family touch my hair. About the most anybody has touched my hair besides a hair dresser is letting my four year old niece put her hairbow collection in my hair. Daddy and grandpa have balding hair so I guess I was her male target. I was a lot less vain about my hair then too. I would probably not let her even do that now for fear of pulling out hairs. As far as strangers that would creep me out having a bunch of people wanted to put their hands in my hair without permission. I love attention and complements though. People would have to ask and I would withdraw it if they got rough or try to pull. My hair is too short at this point to draw any attention except some people recognizing that I am growing my hair. It is much longer than it use to be.

EtherealDoll
January 11th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I don't like when strangers touch my hair, it creeps me out.
But I like when my little sister(she's 6) tries to style it. She usually twists it around or tries to braid it and then puts many different hair clips in :)

Nedertane
January 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hm, kinda depends on the person, really. I mean, I trust my stylist, so of course she touches it. My mom plays with it, which does get annoying, but she is my mom, and I love her. Every so often my friends will, and sometimes it's irritating, but usually only if they do it for more than a minute. The... sort-of-boyfriend strokes it, but I have to wonder why, since he's not that into long hair on women.

lolabird
January 11th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I love it when my kids touch it. They're fascinated by the waves sometimes when I wear it down. Other than that, no one really touches it. DH sometimes, my hair stylist. But it's not that long to get hands magnetized towards it :) Now about hands touching my belly when I was pregnant? Whole other story! Grrr :p

PixxieStix
January 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I adore having my hair played with, I wish I could get more people to do it! My mom, dad, brothers, little sister, FH, friends, I'm good with any of them touching/playing/combing/braiding/etc. my hair, as I find it relaxing. Strangers or people I do not know well are a completely different story! I have no problem smacking away hands that are where they do not belong. But that is just me.

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM
The people I let touch my hair besides myself are my DF, and my nuclear family. My DF likes to randomly touch and play with it, my mother likes to help me with complicated braids and updos, my sister trims it for me, my dad actually doesn't touch my hair unless I ask him if it feels dry or something, my teenage brother helped me braid it once :laugh:, and my little kid brother will sometimes play with it and tell me it's pretty. He's a sweet kid :p. Other than that, I get really uncomfortable when strangers touch my hair, even if they ask. It especially annoys me when people don't ask though. It grosses me out. :disgust:

Vanille_
January 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I LOVE people playing with my hair. It's so rare... my sister in law and DH are the only two I can think of. But I just LOVE it.

Even more than massages.

kanaka
January 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
The people who touch my hair should be my DH and my mother. other than i cant allow anyone to touch. I love when my mother or my DH combs my hair. My DH likes to play of course and also applies oil and braids sometimes but i dont feel satisfied of his oiling or braiding :D so i just reapply oil or start braiding again and it seems fun to me. he always be gentle with my hair, so no problem for me at all. My mother helps in braiding, applying oil and other things

Vanille_
January 11th, 2012, 08:48 PM
What do you do if a friend asks if they can practice some hair styles on your hair, all of you who don't like it being touched?

blondie9912
January 11th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'm actually quite stingy with people touching my hair now, because it is fine and damaged from colouring. I have have a mind to speak up and say "I can handle it" at the hair stylist's when the assistants tear brushed through my hair. How on earth do they think it's okay to treat hair that way? Boggles my mind

uptosomeone
January 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Even though it's thin and fragile, I really don't have a problem with people touching my hair. Brushing it or combing it is something I have to teach them how to do before I let them, though. ;)

Cjatje
January 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I love it when my sister, mum, dh brush or play with my hair.. That's the reason I move to go to the hairdresser, they wash it and my hairdresser always gives a 10min scalpmassage :D

sparish2
January 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I LOVE for people to play with my hair. I find it extremely soothing and relaxing. My only problem is finding people willing to touch on my hair all the time! DBF will do it but he isn't very good at it :( lol

honeydippedxo
January 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I love itttttt! But not from strangers. When ever I have long hair, people just come up and touch it or even play with it. Especially when I'm standing in line......

C.H.
January 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM
On a totally sensual level, I love the feeling of having my hair brushed and played with and my scalp massaged. When my hair is fully straightened, I'd be perfectly happy for any of my friends or family to play with it however they wish within reason. However, in any other state--just stay away from it. Like Copasetic said, curly hair isn't touch friendly and even if it were people have no idea how to handle it. It's only going to lead to frustration for both of us. Plus, these days my hair is usually pretty heavily oiled, so I don't necessarily want people running their hand through my hair and getting grossed out. Most non-LHCers don't really understand about frequent heavy oilings and I'm not particularly keen to explain it, either.

aster66
January 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I've just come to realize how personal and intimate it is to let someone else touch my hair.

Last week a close friend (male) asked me if he could play with my hair. I was fine with it, since he has really long hair too, is really interested in taking care of it and because he frequently expressed how envious he is of my hair. So I didn't see a problem with it. However, after a while the simple petting and touches slowly turned into caresses and the whole situation got a little charged. We quickly stopped it because we could both feel it was a little too intimate and not really appropriate for a regualer friendship. It was pretty akward afterwards...

So, now I'd say i'd only let female friends and a SO touch my hair :p.

Shesta
January 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'd love to have someone play with my hair. Well, not just anyone.. maybe a special one. I don't have a person that close