PDA

View Full Version : Please critique plan for updo at salon

cocolover
April 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hello all! I was hoping for some input from all of you wise people:) I am the matron of honor in a wedding on Friday and we are all going to get updos at a salon. This is my plan, but would love suggestions, and love to hear what others have done.

I am planning on letting my hair dry as curly as possible, possibly with some gel in it to hold my curls. Then go in and tell them no teasing, flat irons, curling irons, etc... I am going to ask them to do some side braids, like headband like braiding and then an updo where they pin a lot of my natural curls all around. Here is the pic I am bringing in: http://hairstyleschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Jessica-Alba-Formal-Hairstyles23.jpg

I know many of you on here are talented enough to do this on your own, but I am not there yet and don't want to be all stressed out on the day if I can't get my hair to work.
Will it be bad to use hairspray if I don't brush or comb before washing it out? The damage happens from brushing after the hairspray sets, right?

So what do you all think? Suggestions, advice, please....thanks.

TiaKitty
April 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I think that hairstyle is stunning!

I like your plan... It sounds good to me.

Cleopatra18
April 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
This style is just phenomenal.It's so elegant and Chic in my opinion.Sadly i dont have any advice on the hair spray but your choice in style is defenitly great.

Cirafly24
April 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I think it would be fine to use hairspray as long as you don't brush it out before washing. I'm not entirely convinced that alcohol-free hairspray is damaging. Even if it does have alcohol, it might be a little drying, but just for the one day I don't see it being a problem.

That's a lovely updo!

melrose1985
April 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
very pretty! I have this same problem for a wedding i'm in in august and i dont want them torturing my hair... good idea!

Nat242
April 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
If you're worried about damage from styling products, I think you have the right idea. Just don't try to comb/brush out the product, and maybe give your hair a nice deep conditioning treatment to combat a bit of dryness.

But really, don't worry about it too much. It's just one time, the damage will be minimal. Have fun at the wedding!

Yozhik
April 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
What a gorgeous updo! I think you have a great plan that will produce minimal, if any damage to your hair.

The first and only time I got my hair styled at a salon was for my high school homecoming dance, and afterward it was so stiff that I literally couldn't work a comb through it. I think a thorough scalp scrubbing solved it, as I remember.

That updo is beautiful, by the way :) Is it lace braids down the temples and then gathered into a Gibson tuck?

deviantkitten
April 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Simple, elegant, and natural. Very Goddess-like. I think it will look fantastic!

Kristin
April 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
No suggestions about the hair spray. Just wanted to say that it is a very pretty updo.

Is that another little English braid underneath the tuck? I was just thinking of trying this at home, but I don't think my hair has enough natural texture.

cocolover
April 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. There are no instructions for the updo with the picture, so I am going to let the stylist "interpret" it. I think they are lace braids on the side. It looks like the lace braid comes all the way down and around the rest of the updo. I will take a pic of the final product and post on here to let you all see :)

tokidokichi
April 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I don't know anything about your routine, but don't shampoo your hair for a couple of days before you go in to have your hair done. We stylist like working with "dirty hair" for updos =]] Also, for the look you are going for, I don't think gel would be necessary, her hair isn't very wavy, its just all pined up in the back. Hope that helped!

Bethie
April 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I agree with the no washing your hair part, dirty hair holds easier.

I also wanted to say that the updo you picked is very lovely and simple.

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 06:04 AM
There are no instructions for the updo with the picture, so I am going to let the stylist "interpret" it. :)

:eek: Be careful with that.

Am I the only one who thinks it may have been backcombed on the top to make it stand up?

atlantaz3
April 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I think I would visit the salon before the day of the wedding with your picture to be sure they can do what you want. If they can't you will have time for a back up plan.

Maddy25
April 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
that is such a beautiful hairstyle :) Im sure itll look great, its so fairytaleish <3

TawnyRoots
April 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Beautiful! With M/C hair I think the texture will enable a poof without the need for backcombing.

Purdy Bear
April 14th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Make sure you decide a leaving time before entering the salon and stick to it.

On my brothers wedding day I arrived at the salon at 9am, some five hours before my brothers wedding. Four and quarter hours later my hairstyle (just a wash, no cut, set in curlers, to put into ringlets (I was over 30 I ask you) and sprayed)) was not finsihed. I got up to leave, making a huge fuss that I was going to be late for the wedding.

They finally saw to me, and I got home with just enough time to put on my wedding outfit, I had to put my make up on in the car going to the church.

I wasnt happy to say the least, and it could have quite easily spoilt the day.

cocolover
April 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Make sure you decide a leaving time before entering the salon and stick to it.

On my brothers wedding day I arrived at the salon at 9am, some five hours before my brothers wedding. Four and quarter hours later my hairstyle (just a wash, no cut, set in curlers, to put into ringlets (I was over 30 I ask you) and sprayed)) was not finsihed. I got up to leave, making a huge fuss that I was going to be late for the wedding.

They finally saw to me, and I got home with just enough time to put on my wedding outfit, I had to put my make up on in the car going to the church.

I wasnt happy to say the least, and it could have quite easily spoilt the day.

WOW! That is crazy! Thanks for all the tips about dirty hair, I will do that. I am going to be adamant about no backcombing! Thanks for your feedback!

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Your plan sounds great and I think wearing hairspray for just 1 day won't hurt

cocolover
May 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Took me a month to update this....ok, so this experience went...hmmm....not so well. First of all, we ended up going to a beauty school. My stylist was very nice, but I could see she got panicky when I told her no teasing, no curling irons. As a result, the on-floor supervisor ended up doing a large portion of my hair. It took about an hour and half do the whole thing, which was fine. The supervisor, pressured a few times to do some teasing, saying they couldn't recreate the look without teasing. I said fine, my finished look could just look different!
The sides and back looked good, but from the front it looked a bit like a helmet. I have been able to add volume to my top without teasing and I felt like they were not very creative. Because I did not want to add drama to the day for the bride, we left and then I had another bridesmaid help me a bit. The bride had someone come on site to do her hair and makeup and that stylist showed us a little trick where you take a bobby pin, hold it straight up, catch the hair and then twist it over while pinning. It created a much better look to the top/front. I don't have a very good pic, but I put one in my album if you want to check it out.
So...I would call the whole experience a fail. Next time I am going to just do my hair myself, as I was not impressed with the final result.

countryhopper
May 13th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I just looked through your album, but i didn't see any updos, just long, beautiful, loose hair! Has that photo been moved?