PDA

View Full Version : I am sad... (hair "trim")

pogo0685
May 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
My hair needed a trim, really bad, the ends were dead and when I would get out of the shower the bottom would instantly go dry and frizzy (in like 3-5 min of me being out of shower). So I asked my mom if she would trim my hair for me it was at 34" and now its at 29" Wow, I am sad but at the same time it was all damaged hair and needed to be cut in order to keep growing split free. Also now its blunt across the bottom instead of really tapered and fairy tail ended.

So now my plan is to just stay up on oiling it and making sure to put it up at night so that it don't get all damaged again (some of the damage was from dye, heat and keeping it down all the time.)

I guess I just had to tell someone that I was sad but happy at the same time, my fiance just doesn't understand my "hair obsession" as he calls it.

BlndeInDisguise
May 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Just remember, it will grow back! :D And it'll be healthy and shiny and happy. I can't imagine whacking off 5" of my hair, but I'm sure it must be awfully tragic! Have fun growing perfectly healthy hair. :D

pogo0685
May 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Just remember, it will grow back! :D And it'll be healthy and shiny and happy. I can't imagine whacking off 5" of my hair, but I'm sure it must be awfully tragic! Have fun growing perfectly healthy hair. :D

Honestly I felt horrible all day at work after that... I just kept touching it, and then I would put it back in a bun, I really didn't know what to think, like I said it needed to be trimmed, but I really want long hair for my wedding in August.... and I cant get back 4 inches by then :( but at the same time now its going to be healthy and not all crappy like it was... But im still sad...

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I absolutely understand the sad but happy emotions after a big trim. After I trimmed I was told that my hair actually looked longer because the pieces I trimmed off were so thin. It truly did, and you'll gain those 5" back in a year or so, plus next time those leader hairs will have more friends. Enjoy the blunt ends.. they are a great thing to have.

Carina
May 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I totally understand you.I thought I had to trim to a few weeks back.But I used a deep cleansing shampo to get rid of build-up and after that my ends started to feel so much better.I'm oiling my ends everyday.Braiding my hair before sleep has made such a huge difference.I hope that you don't have to cut as much in one trim ever again.:grouphug:

Dancewithme
May 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I too have done this so many times. I think my damage is finally disappearing though after a few trims like this over 3 years of switching over to more gentle hair care. If those 5 inches were the only damaged hair that is great. Mine was more like 18 ". It will grow back!

tiny_teesha
May 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
My mother thinks i am obsessed too...and i am. But i am always obsessed with one thing or another OCD has the word Obsession in it doesn't it? lol
Yes i know it seems like a lot but as it is said it will grow! :)

swanns
May 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I hadn't had my hair properly trimmed for years and so had about two inches cut about a month ago (for me that's definitely an extreme trim, I'm very sensitive about letting scissors anywhere near my hair) and my hair felt so strange for the week or so after it, until I got used to it - so I can but imagine how you feel. But as everyone else has said, it'll grow back and it'll look fabulous! :D And I'm sure you will get used to the new shorter feel soon.

spidermom
May 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Congratulations on getting rid of those bad, damaged ends! Sometimes less is more.

pogo0685
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I am over the sadness now, when I did my hair today it was SO much easier than before and it looked great compared to what it did with all the ends. I french braid my hair at night and before I had about 6 inches of hair that I couldn't braid, it just wouldn't work, and last night I got my braid all the way to the ends I only had less than a inch of a tassel. I was very happy with that, so yeah i am over the sadness. Thank you for all your support though.

And as dumb as this sounds I was so happy to have other people understand what I was saying... this is probably the greatest place I have ever went to talk about hair.

Islandgrrl
May 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sure after the big trim that your hair looks wonderful and feels even better. Good for you!

SarieQ
May 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sometimes ya just have to lose some length! I'm glad that the length loss is working out better for you now. Five inches seems like a lot, but its so worth it to have less struggle. I've recently had to cut my DD's hair because of damage and it's a major relief, even though I miss her long hair. Cutting can be so bittersweet. The good part is that healthier ends causes less damage to the length when there's not as much a detangling struggle.

pogo0685
May 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah 5 inches was a lot, but if I hadn't cut it by the end of the year maybe 10 inches would have needed to be cut. That would suck. But its still at least 3-4 inches past bsl so that makes me feel good about it.