PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with intense allergies...

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
So just as I get the RIGHT hair routine firgured out, I had a serious allergic reaction to SOMEthing :doh:and went to my dermatologist. Now I have to go on this allergen-free routine until we figure out what I am allergic to. (I got a steriod shot and pills).

They gave me samples of shampoo and conditioner (imagine the look of shock on my face). I hesitated to even take them,:scared: like they were diseased samples LOL. No sulfates unless "disodium laureth sulfosuccinate" is considered a sulfate. The SHAMPOO has cones but not the conditioner :shrug:

Anyone have contact allergies out there? What do you use?

The samples they gave me are: Free & Clear TM. Mfg. by Pharmaceutical Specialties, Inc.

Flynn
April 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
The shampoo is probably very similar to baby shampoo. (I'm pretty sure sodium sulfosuccinate is the usual detergent in baby shampoos...)

I use this shampoo (http://www.purist.com.au/product.php?product=24) (if you want to try it, make sure you get the Very Gentle Unscented. The others are very, very heavily fragranced, and fragrance is a common cause of allergic reactions from products like this), and conditioner from these people (http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/Organic/product_info/natural_health/Shampoos_and_Conditioners/39_40/products_id/Melrose_Everyday_Bases/135/). (Ingredients: Purified Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Octyl dodecanol, Apricot Kernel Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate (preservative), Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Citric Acid pH3.5-5.0.) Sometimes I use shampoo and conditioner from these people (http://www.grahamsnaturalalternatives.com/main/)

Outside of Australia, you can buy these online. I'd definitely contact the manufacturer to see if you can get samples first. Grahams Natural Alternatives (last link) are particularly helpful when it comes to getting samples; they really, really understand the problems with allergies to products, and that even though they've tried to make their products as hypoallergeinic as they can, everyone reacts to different things, and they can't exclude everything.

orbiting
April 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I've had to do horrible things to my hair and skin to avoid allergic reactions. Including using unscented shampoo, no conditioner at all, unscented soap, unscented face wash, no lotion on my face (or inadequate, as my allergies dry out the skin on my face so bad it makes me cry), and usually no lotion on my body.

Right now, I am not allowed to take any allergy, cold, or cough meds (no anti-histamines or sudafed) because I am going in for an allergy test on Thursday. I had to use FH's shampoo which smells but it's less fragrant the the Bed Head formula I use and a harsher soap. I'm dry and itchy and miserable.

GothRosary (http://www.gothrosary.com) sells shampoo, body wash and conditioner in unscented called "nothingness" - I disliked the conditioner as it was too thin and I need cones in my hair to manage it, but a lot of people like it.
I use Basis Bar Soap for sensitive skin when I'm really bad (and if me and FH weren't broke, I'd have bought some yesterday, right now I'm just dealing with the Irish Spring). You can get that at Walmart to my knowledge. Basis also makes a face wash that I haven't tried, but it has chamomile in it... which does calm allergies for some (even me).
Sarna makes unscented lotions, but they are anti-itch lotions (which works for me, cause I'm itchy).
PURPOSE makes an unscented face lotion, with spf, that is recommended by derms. I may pick some up myself, as the stuff I am using now is so horrible.

ETA: if you can stand a shampoo bar, sometime they annoy me less. Go for basic stuff (no flowery scent or heavy ones). Olive, Tea Tree Oil, Chamomile, etc...

RavennaNight
April 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Sensitive, fickle allergies are the reason I switched to henna and indigo instead of box dye. It is spring, and the pollen is making me break out mildly in hives.

Flynn
April 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
ETA: if you can stand a shampoo bar, sometime they annoy me less. Go for basic stuff (no flowery scent or heavy ones). Olive, Tea Tree Oil, Chamomile, etc...

I got a very strong warning from another member with allergy problems on here to avoid 'poo bars, as even if they are unscented, it is the nature of solid shampoos and soaps to absorb fragrance from the air. The unscented ones are made, stored, and sold in the same place as the heavily fragranced ones, so they almost immediately become fragranced themselves.

Mamakash
April 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Once your skin clears up, is it possible to re introduce hair/face products slowly and see which ones are the offending one? Do you have an idea which products are the problem? Which ingredient?

The only thing I do for contact dermatitis is use an anti histamine cream and sometimes the anti histamine pills(Benadryl), the main problem with the pills are that they make me sleepy.

My face cleared up tremendously(when I recently stopped using Splenda) and I thought my skin problems would be over. I started using a new oil warmer (for my home fragrance oils) without water in the bowl(as that's how they are supposed to be used). My chin has gone crazy with a fine rash. I think it's the superheated oil, then I think it's the burner(maybe I'm allergic to the finish when it heats). I had a tart warmer that I used for the oils(with a little bit of water), but it started to crack. I had no problems with the old warmer.

Yes, I'm upset. I hate the rash but I love my oils and I don't know what it causing the flareups. I thought maybe it was the new V05 conditioner . . . but I "see" a connection between the oils and the warmer. I think it's the warmer. But I can't prove it. But I have to stay off both of them, at least until my skin clears up.

Fractalsofhair
April 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Unscented liquid soap like Doc Bronners is a good bet generally speaking. Whole foods sells a decent unscented shampoo+conditioner, cone free, though it used to contain sulfates.

-j-
April 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I just have to write here, although this might be concidered a kind of offtopic.

I havenīt suffered from contact allergies towards cosmetics, but Iīve been allergic to most pollen (every spring and summer of my former life has been like hell), many animals (dogs, cats, bees,...) and to very many foods. A year ago there was very little I could eat without my throat swallowing, or without severe intestine problems, had anafylaxia once, etc.

After I got little help from doctors (I had a year-round daily medication for allergies and the recently developed asthma)
I went to a skilled homeopath and now I donīt suffer from any allergies at all! After a couple of months of homeopathic treatment I could stop all my medication and havenīt used it since.

I just wanted to say, that I encourage you to seek alternative methods. Modern medicine cannot cure allergies, doctors can just give medicine that in some cases can relieve the symptoms or take the symptoms away (not in my case).

I wish all my best to everybody, who suffers allergies, I know how terrible it can be! Been there!!

-j-
April 14th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I just have to write here, although this might be concidered a kind of offtopic.

I haven´t suffered from contact allergies towards cosmetics, but I´ve been allergic to most pollen (every spring and summer of my former life has been like hell), many animals (dogs, cats, bees,...) and to very many foods. A year ago there was very little I could eat without my throat swallowing, or without severe intestine problems, had anafylaxia once, etc.

After I got little help from doctors (I had a year-round daily medication for allergies and the recently developed asthma)
I went to a skilled homeopath and now I don´t suffer from any allergies at all! After a couple of months of homeopathic treatment I could stop all my medication and haven´t used it since.

I just wanted to say, that I encourage you to seek alternative methods. Modern medicine cannot cure allergies, doctors can just give medicine that in some cases can relieve the symptoms or take the symptoms away (not in my case). Or then you can avoid those things that cause allergic reactions but it might be, that soon you´ll develop more allergies.

I wish all my best to everybody, who suffers allergies, I know how terrible it can be! Been there!!

ETA. added something

Flynn
April 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Modern medicine cannot cure allergies, doctors can just give medicine that in some cases can relieve the symptoms or take the symptoms away (not in my case).

False, actually. Many allergies can be cured through a desensitisation routine.

-j-
April 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
False, actually. Many allergies can be cured through a desensitisation routine.

Aah, youīre right.
But that doesnīt work always and some allergies are so severe, that inuring would be extremely unbearable, if not even dangerous.

Branwen
April 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I don't have allergies, but i bought the cleansing milk from this series this series (http://www.logona.com/PUR/Free_E/index.html) as an eye-makeup-remover a while ago, because I couldn't find any eye-makeup-removers that were both natural and unscented(why an eye-makeup-remover needs to be scented is a mystery to me ...). The series doesn't have a conditioner, or even a shampoo that isn't a showergel, but I just thought I'd point it out anyway, in case you need to replace all of your products and not just shampoo and conditioner.

I also know this site (http://www.purenature24.com/) - found them by coincidence when buying rice bran, but their selection seems to be targeted mainly at people with MCS, so they have quite a few products that are both natural and unscented.

Konstifik
April 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I haven't tried this myself, but I have heard that indian soapnuts are very mild and good for sensitive people. No chemicals or allergens. :)
I'm thinking of trying it out someday.

Nevermore
April 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I say try water only. You can't get any more natural than that and it's good for your hair. Besides, you can use your allergies as an excuse for any greasy/weird hair during the WO transition, just tell people you're still looking for a shampoo you're not allergic to.

anna francesca
April 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Although im not extremely alergic, I do get skin irritations due to shampoos, Ive had to switch shampoos when I run out. Ive recently tried to use BURTS BEES paraben, sulfate, and cone free shampoo and guess what, it made my skin go crazy. Kind of ironic.
I hope you find one that works for you!

x0h_bother
April 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I am allergic to everything makeup, detergent, and body wash related, and praise the Lord not yet hair care, but here is a database I found extremely helpful more helpful than my dermotologist in finding the ingredients issue and what to use/stay away from http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/
I'm sorry you have allergies, it can come on at any time and I know from experience it is not fun! GL!

WaitingSoLong
April 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the links. I am going through them. I was hoping to find something I did not have to order online.

I have found out that "natural" does not mean allergen free. People have allergies to strawberries, coconut oil, etc.

I, personally, do not think I am allergic to my shampoo, etc. but we have to eliminate then try to decide WHAT I am allergic to. Possibly it is something in most products (lotions, shampoos, laundry soaps). I KNOW I am allergic to most neutrogena products but never figured out what was in them I am allergic to.

NOW they are talking it could be scabies. Which totally sucks but would mean it is not an allergy at all. Scabies has that taboo like lice does and we found out a couple years ago you can get lice no matter how clean you keep your house/body. And I am a clean freak, so the word "scabies" puts me in heebee-geebee mode and I am cleaning everything. UGH. BUT no one else has it so probably not scabies but now I am worried! I am reading these horror stories that people cannot get rid of scabies even with the Rx treatments. I am not sure which I would rather have, a mystery allergy or scabies.

Urgh.

snnej
April 15th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I have a very sensitive allergic scalp. I think I've tried everything in the shampoo and conditioner isle, high end and low end. Finally after a lifetime of wasting money I've figured out what works for me. I condition only using Giovanni 50:50 conditioner followed by Biolage conditioning balm. I also ACV rinse every so often.
I went through all of the desensitisation treatments ( allergy shots) with an allergist several years ago. They may have worked a little bit in the beginning but once you stop them chances are high that all of your allergies will come back in time.
My best results come from avoiding the offending products, foods and environments.
Good luck

WaitingSoLong
April 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
snnej...thanks. I have the biolage conditionaing balm and love it and hope I can still use it. I went out today and was unable to find any free and clear S&C so I am sticking with what I have and washing as little as possible.

I have tried WO before and could NOT get a comb through my hair and it seemed fried. I did more damage trying to detangle it, so not worth it to me.

Beansidhe
April 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have a *severe* contact allergy to coconut oil. Apparently that's very rare. I found out shortly after joining LHC and getting pure coconut oil at my local Indian market and trying it on my hair. I ended up turning bright red, covered in hives and with my throat closing up and having to go to an emergency clinic. I had to take steroids and other meds for a week! The problem is that coconut derived products are in almost everything. Especially natural products. So far I haven't had any reactions to anything with small amounts of coconut derived ingredients. Maybe if it's processed it's not the same...it seems like the only things that have affected me are listed as coconut oil. I know I can eat it too, I've had it plenty of times in food with no reaction. This does explain a lot though, I used to have milder reactions when I used to use natural hair/skin products that had higher amounts of coconut ingredients. I also had a major full body reaction once years ago when I was husking coconuts in the middle of nowhere on a tropical island. Good thing I had a ton of Benadryl, I think it saved my life! All this time I thought it was something that bit me that caused it. I never would have guessed it was the oils from the coconuts, since it's supposed to be one of the most hypoallergenic things around!

ravenreed
April 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I am terribly allergic to soapnuts.

I haven't tried this myself, but I have heard that indian soapnuts are very mild and good for sensitive people. No chemicals or allergens. :)
I'm thinking of trying it out someday.