PDA

View Full Version : Sad Hair Story.

doro357
April 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hi, My mom told me a sad story about my grandmother. She grew her hair down to the floor.My mom remembers helping her brush her hair and braiding it for her.Sometimes my grandmother complained about headaches.So, one night while she slept,my grandfather cut her hair!He said she wouldn't have anymore headaches.
I thought how horrible.To wake up and your hair is gone. I feel so sorry for my grandma.

Now I feel like growing my hair to the floor .I don't know if it's possible,but I'll try.

countryhopper
April 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
What a horrible thing to do!! What was your grandmother's reaction? Did it help the headaches at least?

Looking on the bright side, at least you know you have long hair genes!

phistash
April 13th, 2010, 09:06 AM
It's one thing to shop off your own hair. If someone did that to me, I'd seriously hurt them. Was your grandmother ever able to grow it that long again?

lesbia
April 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
aaaah I'll never sleep again!!

:D

Loreley
April 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
:bigeyes: That's shocking!

BelleBot
April 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Oh gosh how horrible, her own husband too. I suppose he was doing it out of concern for your grandma's well being.
Least your genetics should let you grow floor length hair.

I once had girls threaten to cut off my hair whilst I slept at a sleepover, not surprisingly I kept myself awake all night.

spidermom
April 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
So is your grandfather a jerk in general or just that one time?

marzipanthecat
April 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Well that was a mean thing to do.

I had a friend at school (this would be about 22 years ago!) who had a "rat" (one of those skinny long braids from the back of her head, while the rest of her hair was pretty short). Anyway, this rat was about 18 inches long. Then one day she came to school in tears - her step mother had snipped it off in the night.

Mean.

Bethie
April 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Wow, I'm sad for your grandmother, but at least you can say you can grow to the floor.

paperwhite
April 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
That was a really horrible thing to do--and to his own spouse :nono:

RedStripe
April 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
:agape:
Shockingly bad behavior on your grandfather's part, I'd say.

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Poor Grandma. Seriously. How sad. Is this Grandma still alive?

I have had dreams like this. And apparently I have rubbed off on DH because he had a dream I cut all my hair off, after which he informed me not to do that. LOL. He used to say he would like my hair no matter what I did, but now he says he doesn't want it short. FINALLY! At least I do not have to worry about that from my DH.

bumblebums
April 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
When I was little, my mom kept threatening to shave off half of my dad's beard while he was asleep. (Half--because she thought that was all she could get away with before he woke up.) I don't think she really meant it... and in any case, the time investment is not quite the same in a short beard compared to floor-length hair.

Awful story.

myrrhmaiden
April 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Well that was a mean thing to do.

I had a friend at school (this would be about 22 years ago!) who had a "rat" (one of those skinny long braids from the back of her head, while the rest of her hair was pretty short). Anyway, this rat was about 18 inches long. Then one day she came to school in tears - her step mother had snipped it off in the night.

Mean.

Oooooh. I would have been very tempted to cut said step-mothers hair in the same way and claim in the morning I did it to "make her look better" or "help her" or whatever motivation she would have claimed herself.

Aquamarine
April 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM
oh that's such a terrible thing to do. why would anyone cut off hair because of a headache?? Would the pain totally disappear if we shave the head bald??:rolleyes::( I can only imagine how your poor grandma had felt.

Purdy Bear
April 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Your poor grandmother, she certain had a good reason to give him a good seeing too with a nearby rolling pin!

My Dr made me cut BSL hair length before due to headaches, it wasnt the hair, but turned out to be the type of coffee I was drinking. I switched the de-caffinated and the headaches stopped.

sherigayle
April 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I wonder how he would have felt if your grandmother cut off part of his body while he slept?

TiaKitty
April 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM

This thread made me sad, until I read Spidermom's comment. That cracked me up!

So, was Pappy just a jerk?

Did Granny's headaches stop?

I cut my hair on a neurologist's request, to see if my migraines would stop. They didn't. Now I have long hair *and* migraines. :rolleyes:

Yozhik
April 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Headaches, especially infrequent ones like the ones you seem to be describing, can have many causes :(

I feel for your grandmother -- did she just end up growing it all back out again?

Unzadi
April 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
If any guy were to do that to me, it would be his last act as a free man, a live man or a whole man, depending on what I could reach first.

Very sorry OP's grandmother had to go through that. I can only imagine the shock and loss of trust.

GoddesJourney
April 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well that was narrow-minded. I'm sure he though he was helping her out, but I don't think she felt the same way about it. I wonder if he would have the same solution if he had a tooth ache, or a sprained ankle... I'm a jerk, too. I would threaten to cut if off in his sleep, just to make him think.

doro357
April 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
My grandmother died before I was born.From what my mom told me my grandfather wasn't very nice.My grandma didn't want to marry him,I think it was arranged. I think my mom and grandma never forgave him for that.

Thought the same thing about the body part. Someone did that to me, they would be in a world of pain.

Hopefully I have the genes for growing my hair that long.

Themyst
April 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
That is a horrible story. What a jerk.

I wonder if the involuntary cutting of someone's hair is considered assault anywhere. :hmm: Perhaps it depends on the circumstances.

I know if my DH did that to me, he'd be sleeping with one open for the rest of his life.

Henrietta
April 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Come on... I've heard that SOMETIMES if you place your ponytain or heavy bun somewhere, where your head doesn't want it to be, it hurts. Or when you change the place where you used to place your heavy updo for a long time. But generally having long hair itself doesn't cause headaches. WHAT DID HE THINK?!

pdy2kn6
April 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
In my book that would be grounds for divorce!!

jera
April 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder if the involuntary cutting of someone's hair is considered assault anywhere. :hmm: Perhaps it depends on the circumstances.

Yes it is.

What a horrible husband. :( If he'd been mine and tried that with my head he'd have awakened without teeth the next day. The poor women of that era didn't always stand up for themselves.

How nice that you have genes for floor length hair. Envy Envy. :D

Sarahmoon
April 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Poor woman! But at least her husband did it out of ignorance and to help her, not as some kind of mean joke.

DragonLady
April 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
WHAT DID HE THINK?!

I'd guess that she used "I have a headache" as an excuse one night, and he decided to punish her.

I can't print what I think of him.

Peggy E.
April 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
My grandmother died before I was born.From what my mom told me my grandfather wasn't very nice.My grandma didn't want to marry him,I think it was arranged. I think my mom and grandma never forgave him for that.

Thought the same thing about the body part. Someone did that to me, they would be in a world of pain.

Hopefully I have the genes for growing my hair that long.

This was a control issue. She must have been proud of that hair, it meant a lot to her, so he decided to put her in her place, show her who was "lord and master" and cut it off. She probably never had a really good night's sleep again, for fear of what he might do to her next while she was totally unable to protect herself from his attack.

What a mean, underhanded thing for that man to do to his wife - unfortunately there are lots of mean and underhanded treatments dished out to women from the overactive minds of their controlling husbands. I have an unfortunate number of good time memories of my own, but at least no one happened to think of chopping off my hair. Now, pulling it out by the roots was once the highlight of an evening's entertainment....

Good luck growing your hair to the floor for your dear Grandma!

Nae
April 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I hate to say it but I would say that controlling sort of behaviour was pretty common back then. Smacking the little woman around was common enough, it was a totally different mindset. I am just thankful that things have changed and that DH is quite clear on the fact that I would probably kill him in his sleep if he pulled anything like that.

shockinglength
April 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM

He didn't mean to be a jerk. I think he did it becuase he loved his wife....although that's a unique way to show it. I like to rember the KNIT rule around here is it kind? needful? and I forget the rest lol We should all try to remberthat (myselfe included) =D

KBG
April 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM
wow @ the OP's story. so sad.

walterSCAN
April 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
*snip*

He didn't mean to be a jerk. I think he did it becuase he loved his wife....although that's a unique way to show it. I like to rember the KNIT rule around here is it kind? needful? and I forget the rest lol We should all try to remberthat (myselfe included) =D

:twocents:

From what the OP's said, it's really unlikely that he did it to be nice... and it does sound pretty mean-spirited to me, anyway. I think if he had had good intentions he wouldn't have snuck up on her while she was sleeping (which tells me he knew it was something she would definitely object to) to chop it off.

IcarusBride
April 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
OH MY GOD! If my SO chopped off my hair when I was sleeping, I'd chop of something he'd miss (if you get my drift) when he's sleeping!!! That's so sad :(