Patty lou
April 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hi All
Anybody here tried hair taping??????? If so I would like to see pictures

Patty lou

Ksenia
April 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5295&pictureid=69278

I love hair taping! It's easy and so gentle on the hair, I just wish my braids in it were thicker. I make two braids low in the back, as close together as possible, then wrap the one on the left to the right, and the one on the right to the left so that there's no gap at the back, though you do get some bulk there. I prefer to use two braids for this because it keeps the width even the whole way around that way, though I could use just a single braid which would look nice on one side but sad on the other. I do find, however, that the taping squeezes the hair a little so that your braids end up looking slightly thinner than they actually are.

Anyone know how to post a photo without uploading it to an album and linking to it?

restourceful
April 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM
That's really pretty, Ksenia! And your kitty is cute, too!

As far as posting photos without loading them in albums, I use photobucket (or any other photo hosting site would work, I'm sure) and copy and paste the proper code into the post.

Patty Lou, there is a youtube video by our own TorrinPaige showing how to do it. I hope this is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

Torrin Paige
April 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I love hair taping! As restourceful already linked my tut, I'll just give you some pics! :)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY0394.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY0142.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/tapedhair.jpg

The first one is rope braided, but the other two are just twisted...which is a good option if your braids end up eating up too much length.

GuinevereMay
April 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I have a tutorial to a different way of doing it than Torrinpaige. Hers is smoother in the back, though.
(Link in sig.)

TawnyRoots
April 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
[IMG]
I love hair taping! It's easy and so gentle on the hair, I just wish my braids in it were thicker. I make two braids low in the back, as close together as possible, then wrap the one on the left to the right, and the one on the right to the left so that there's no gap at the back, though you do get some bulk there. I prefer to use two braids for this because it keeps the width even the whole way around that way, though I could use just a single braid which would look nice on one side but sad on the other. I do find, however, that the taping squeezes the hair a little so that your braids end up looking slightly thinner than they actually are.

Anyone know how to post a photo without uploading it to an album and linking to it?

Beautiful kitty! Hair also good!

dropinthebucket
April 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
so beautiful! look like halos on all you darling angels! :D can't wait 'til mine gets long enough! gonna be awhile still .........

Lemur_Catta
April 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I love hair taping, it's very comfortable, but whenever I try it I get a messy thing :( I have tried it with two English braids, though I will try it just twisting because it seems easier.
Sometimes my scalp also hurts, I think I catch too much scalp hair and that pulls...Any tips on how to solve this problem?

paperwhite
April 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I don't have any pictures to share yet (still waiting on the length:rolleyes:), but I absolutely love the way this looks! As soon as my hair gets long enough, this will be the first style I try. I can't wait to get back to the renaissance festival this year and have my hair crown braided again. It's so comfortable, just as this style looks to be :)

growing2shine
May 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I just can't wait to try out hair taping. It looks so beautiful and comfortable.
Beautiful pics by the way!(All of you!) :)

tcheney91
May 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I love the look of hair taping. I did it once, but didn't have any ribbon on hand! I just pinned it, but it has much of the same look.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=70702

SpeakingEZ
May 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I love the look of hair taping. I did it once, but didn't have any ribbon on hand! I just pinned it, but it has much of the same look.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=70702 This really might be the answer to my problem. I can't pull off the ribbon. I was going to ask if anyone knew of a way to make this style more sophisticated, maybe by only taping a section on the bottom. I'll try this method, thank you!

tcheney91
May 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
You're welcome! It just came from necessity. I used Good Hair Days pins and some bobby pins at the top to tuck in the ends. And I used a tiny piece of ribbon to hide the hair tie.

Igor
May 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Only tried once...

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Updo5B.jpg

ButterCream
May 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Is THAT what that is!! I have heard the expression before but never knew what it was!
It was super pretty too! It will be a long time before I can try something like that, but will keep it in mind when I get closer to the length required...:bounce:

tigr
May 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Wow Igor! That's stunning.

Quixii
May 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
One of these days I'll have to try that. Until then... well, I like the look of it. :)

wilddaisies
May 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Soooo beautiful everyone!! I hope I can do this in my hair someday! Just beautiful! :)

eternallyverdan
May 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
For those who don't like the look of ribbons and have pretty long hair, I have another solution: just use your hair! I came up with this while staying in India before I started spending a lot of time on LHC, so I thought that I had come up with something new, but it's really just hair taping. This style actually came from desperation, as I had to walk ten kilometers and had no accessories except for 2 bobby pins. It stayed up for all 10 kilometers plus dinner and the walk home!

I separate my hair into one big piece (almost all of my hair) and two tiny pieces, maybe the width of your pinky when combined. I start the big braid just behind my left ear so that my taper is less noticeable, then braid it all around my head and tucked the end into itself in a sort of slipknot. Then I take the two smaller pieces, braid them all the way to the ends, and use bobby pins to secure them into the base of the braid. They come out looking something like this, though it looks crazy thick today because of the fact that I had small braids in and they left my hair looking crimped:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/hairtaping1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/hairtaping2.jpg

Sorry if it isn't quite clear-- I can try to get better pictures after I wash my hair if anyone would like them.

Yozhik
May 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Eternallyverdan -- that's amazing! It looks awesome and so thick :)
I was wondering how you got it to look so thick (and how you had enough hair to use the small braids as ribbon) when I looked at your avatar and realized how long your hair is :)

I won't be able to replicate this for a number of years, but it sure looks awesome!

Torrin Paige
May 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
eternallyverdan , what a fabulous idea! I love the little braids in place of ribbon. I am so going to have a go at that.

Themyst
May 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Only tried once...

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Updo5B.jpg

I love the wide ribbon you used here.

I've been hair taping ever since I saw Torrin Paige's video. Sometimes I sleep in it - but my braids always slip back. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it is because my hair is so fine. I think I'll try wider ribbons though.

Tapioca
May 4th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Here's mine, although I may have to try Torrin's idea of just twisting it instead of braiding. I like how smooth hers are in the back.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/Tapioca_Rat/Hair/ItalianTaping-1.jpg

eternallyverdan
May 4th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Eternallyverdan -- that's amazing! It looks awesome and so thick :)
I was wondering how you got it to look so thick (and how you had enough hair to use the small braids as ribbon) when I looked at your avatar and realized how long your hair is :)

I won't be able to replicate this for a number of years, but it sure looks awesome!

Thanks! I'm not sure if this will work (I've never really had short hair), but to get something like the same look you could try dividing your hair in 6 pieces-- 2 very large pieces parted straight down the middle, 2 small pieces from behind your ears, and 2 small pieces from about the outsides of your eyebrows, about 2 inches from your hair line. Start the big braids right about ear level, braiding straight upwards. Pin those in place and then braid the smaller bits and wrap them around the main braids like I did. I hope I explained that properly-- I know I can be a bit incomprehensible.

Like I said, might not work, or might be too much effort to be worth it, but you might give it a try if you're bored on a rainy day.

eternallyverdan , what a fabulous idea! I love the little braids in place of ribbon. I am so going to have a go at that.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. Mine looks much nicer when my hair's not all wonky and crimped-looking.

Longlocks3
May 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Here's a rather bad attempt. I've gotten it to look MUCH better than this but only have these pictures.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/kaitlinrobertson/007.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/kaitlinrobertson/006-2.jpg

I did this with rope braids, because rope braids are my personal favorite braid for updos.

LaurelSpring
May 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Great thread! I love the pics. I cant wait to try this now. I love the wide ribbons also. They look so elegant.

AlleyKitten
May 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I've actually inflicted hair taping on DH, whose hair is only about longish apl at the moment (he calls it "classic Jesus length"). I did Torrin's one-pony-two-braids thing, and each of the braids made it to the front of his head, where the ends stuck out all wonky and I attempted to pin them down. Anyway, if you could find some graceful way of dealing with the ends, you could pull off this style shorter than you think, probably at a long bsl, elbow length for sure.

I can finally get a single braid all the way around my head, so I've been doing that a lot, with pins all around and maybe a clip at the back. Hair taping is a lot more comfortable and sturdy though, even to sleep on. I love the style in general, it's so gorgeous and classic!

Themyst
May 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
When I do the one pony-two-braids thing, each braid wraps around almost twice - but just enough end sticks out and it gives me a hard time, too. When I try to stick them under the first wrap around braid, the whole thing tries to fall apart on me.

I'm going to try the twist next time. I was wondering about that.

BritishBraider
May 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
heres mine http://pics.livejournal.com/britishbraider/pic/0001c9y1 but I also had a go with a variant for a costume for a film..... http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/301/c/a/Stills_by_rojo_elaalex.jpg

Sorry if the pics are too big!

Themyst
May 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I did my daughter's hair today:

http://themysteriouslady.com/ddhairtape.jpg

restourceful
May 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Igor and eternallyverdan, both of yours are exquisite! :agape: :thud:

IcarusBride
May 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I want to try it, but haven't yet. My hair is probably long enough, but definitely not thick enough. I have extreme taper. Will attempt this in a few inches, though!

jackiesjottings
May 6th, 2010, 06:30 AM
These styles look fab, think I am going to have to give some a go :))

Nae
May 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hair taping with the smaller braids seem brilliant! I wonder if you could use Torrin's technique and just thread the smaller braids through with a needle? I can't do the style yet but I will.......someday I will.

Tapioca
May 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I was playing around with a Pricess-Leia-on-Endor look for the 4th, and I had to try again last night. This time, I incorporated the taping, which is authentic. The sticks are not.

Here's the headband part so far.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/Tapioca_Rat/Hair/EndorHeadband-1.jpg

With the back put into a braided bun.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/Tapioca_Rat/Hair/EndorSide-1.jpg

Oh, and next time, clean the mirror first! Can you tell that this is the bathroom that the seven-year-old brushes her teeth in?

LaurelSpring
May 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I tried this yesterday. Initially it looked pretty good, but my hair is so fine that it slipped toward the back of my head. I had hoped to sleep on it and see how it did but after about an hour on the couch the whole thing slipped right down.

chopandchange
May 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I once tried doing "Heidi" braids* in this way, but my plaits* are so thick that they protruded massively from the top of my head and looked rather silly. :(

Maybe I will have another go some day, and try to do it around my head instead.

Does anyone else not have one of those special plastic needles? I decided to use a plastic drinking straw (not the whole thing, obviously - I cut a piece off the end). The end isn't pointed like a needle would be, but it does make the job a lot easier than just pushing the ribbon through your hair with your fingers.

*Edit: I've just realised that I have used both the British word and the US word in one sentence. Plait? Braid? It seems my brain wants to use both! LOL

chopandchange
May 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I tried it with my drinking straw again, but it was making nasty scratching noises and snagging when it was going through my hair. :eek:

I need to get one of those plastic needles!

I used to have one, but I didn't use it for anything at the time, so I threw it away. Doh!

ArienEllariel
May 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I need to get one of those plastic needles!

I used to have one, but I didn't use it for anything at the time, so I threw it away. Doh!

Me too. -.- I tossed it several years ago when I thought I didn't need it anymore.

GuinevereMay
May 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM
You can use an embroidery needle, as well. Just be careful, because they can be poky. :D

chopandchange
May 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think I have an embroidery needle. Which is weird, because I do embroidery. I need to get one with a bigger eye!

Elodea
December 18th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Reviving this thread because I finally tried this hairstyle. I did a crown braid and taped/sewed the loose end in place instead of pinning or clipping like I've done in the past.
It seems to feel rather secure so far. I would like to get some nicer and slightly wider yarn or ribbon to use. For now I just used medium/worsted weight yarn that I had on hand.

I will try to take and post a photo of my hair in this style later.

Kat
December 18th, 2019, 09:39 PM
I keep wanting to try this... it would be a more-comfortable way of doing Heidi braids without my hairpins digging into my head. I just haven't figured out exactly how to do it yet, especially neatly. It would be great for dance competitions, if it can hold securely through jumping, and if I can find something to tape it with that can't be seen (we can't have visible hair accessories, so it would have to be something thin-- but still able to hold the hair up-- and close to the color of my hair).

jane_marie
December 18th, 2019, 10:08 PM
I keep wanting to try this... it would be a more-comfortable way of doing Heidi braids without my hairpins digging into my head. I just haven't figured out exactly how to do it yet, especially neatly. It would be great for dance competitions, if it can hold securely through jumping, and if I can find something to tape it with that can't be seen (we can't have visible hair accessories, so it would have to be something thin-- but still able to hold the hair up-- and close to the color of my hair).

Maybe I'm not thinking straight but have you thought about sewing it down with... fishing line? Is that a crazy idea?

HaMalka
December 19th, 2019, 07:47 AM

A thin satin ribbon in the color of your hair should be fairly invisible. If you have a craft or sewing supply store near you they should have a good selection of colors and thicknesses to choose from. If you can't find a match in person, a specialty store could probably order you an exact match, if you decide you really like the style.

Elodea
December 19th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Depending on the color of your hair, you might be able to use yarn. I used a blue yarn because that's what I had on hand, but since my hair is black it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find black yarn that'd blend in. If you sew everything down securely/thoroughly and tie the ends of the string securely, it does seem to be a very secure hairstyle. I wore it yesterday and then slept on it and it hasn't really moved.

I wonder if it'd be possible to sew it more through the inside of the braids, instead of outside/around them like the typical style? Then the string would be more hidden. I don't know how strict exactly the dance competitions are about the no visible hair accessories rule -- if small/unobtrusive (pins, the like) accessories happen to be inadvertently showing, is that allowed? Or is it truly no visible hair accessories at all? I'm sure that sometimes when I've used pins in a style, parts of them may have ended up being visible in the finished hairstyle even if I didn't intend for them to be.

I'm not sure if certain styles are easier or more difficult to use for hair taping -- I did it with a crown braid but have not tried this with any other braided styles yet.

Elodea
December 19th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Alright, here are the photos of my attempt at hair taping (this is after I slept on it, not freshly done)...

Thoughts about the hairstyle:
It is very secure. Once it's sewn down, it will stay and not fall out. I should've cut a slightly longer length of string -- I didn't know how much I'd need and I underestimated a little. I still managed to make it work, but I wish I'd used a longer string. A slightly thicker string might've looked nicer too. I also ended up sewing it slightly unevenly and it felt a little unbalanced, so next time I'll try to pay more attention to that (starting and ending at symmetrical points around the head). I like using a crown braid for this because it gives much better anchor points for the sewing. I haven't tried doing a regular braid and then sewing that to unbraided scalp hair. It seems like that would be less secure and also might be more likely to pull?? Maybe if you have less/thinner hair than me it'd be alright.

It's kinda lumpy to sleep on, depending on how you lay down. I kinda prefer less lumpy hairstyles on that front. I thought this would be a compact hairstyle, but it actually wasn't -- the thickness of the braid sticks out from around my scalp and made it somewhat difficult to try on/take off clothing. I did this hairstyle because I was going to the thrift store and wanted something secure to wear that could withstand multiple times of putting on/taking off clothes over the head without me having to re-do a bun every time. This hairstyle still caused problems with fitting my head through the neck holes on some clothes... Regardless, it's nice and secure, looks interesting and keeps everything out of the way, can be slept in and worn for multiple days.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39394&d=1576775731
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39395&d=1576775745

Kat
December 19th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Maybe I'm not thinking straight but have you thought about sewing it down with... fishing line? Is that a crazy idea?

I think it would be too thin. And too slippery; hard to finish off at the end (can't knot it) and so would probably gradually work itself loose.

Depending on the color of your hair, you might be able to use yarn. I used a blue yarn because that's what I had on hand, but since my hair is black it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find black yarn that'd blend in. If you sew everything down securely/thoroughly and tie the ends of the string securely, it does seem to be a very secure hairstyle. I wore it yesterday and then slept on it and it hasn't really moved.

I wonder if it'd be possible to sew it more through the inside of the braids, instead of outside/around them like the typical style? Then the string would be more hidden. I don't know how strict exactly the dance competitions are about the no visible hair accessories rule -- if small/unobtrusive (pins, the like) accessories happen to be inadvertently showing, is that allowed? Or is it truly no visible hair accessories at all? I'm sure that sometimes when I've used pins in a style, parts of them may have ended up being visible in the finished hairstyle even if I didn't intend for them to be.

I'm not sure if certain styles are easier or more difficult to use for hair taping -- I did it with a crown braid but have not tried this with any other braided styles yet.

I think I'd be afraid of yarn tangling with my hair...

I'm not 100% certain how strict they are, either, as the dress code is sort of vague, so all I have to go on is how other people tend to interpret it (including how my teacher will)... It says "no visible hair adornments" but whether that includes implements to keep the hair up (most people wear buns though) or only stuff that is decorative, I don't know, but most people take it to mean that there should be nothing visible in the hair, period. From up on the platform where I'm bouncing around, it probably won't matter, and the judge will find plenty in my dancing to mark me down for before looking at my hair... but, my teacher would probably feel otherwise.

Elodea
December 20th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I think it would be too thin. And too slippery; hard to finish off at the end (can't knot it) and so would probably gradually work itself loose.

I think I'd be afraid of yarn tangling with my hair...

I'm not 100% certain how strict they are, either, as the dress code is sort of vague, so all I have to go on is how other people tend to interpret it (including how my teacher will)... It says "no visible hair adornments" but whether that includes implements to keep the hair up (most people wear buns though) or only stuff that is decorative, I don't know, but most people take it to mean that there should be nothing visible in the hair, period. From up on the platform where I'm bouncing around, it probably won't matter, and the judge will find plenty in my dancing to mark me down for before looking at my hair... but, my teacher would probably feel otherwise.

Yep, I think fishing line would be too slippery to try and use for this kind of style in addition to being difficult to tie off at the end. But maybe embroidery thread might work? It comes in lots of different colors so hopefully you could find some that matches your hair, plus it's thinner compared to yarn so it would be less obvious.

I think as long as you're careful when you unsew the hairstyle to take it down, you shouldn't need to worry about yarn or whatever kind of string you use tangling. I used yarn and didn't feel that it would tangle. However, some yarn is sleeker than others. To me, the phrasing "no visible hair adornments" implies nothing decorative, but plain pins that happen to show would be alright, and a string that blends in well for hair taping should also fall under that. Couldn't you ask your teacher for more specifics about what they consider to be acceptable hairstyles/hair accessories that you could use?

Kat
December 20th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Yep, I think fishing line would be too slippery to try and use for this kind of style in addition to being difficult to tie off at the end. But maybe embroidery thread might work? It comes in lots of different colors so hopefully you could find some that matches your hair, plus it's thinner compared to yarn so it would be less obvious.

I think as long as you're careful when you unsew the hairstyle to take it down, you shouldn't need to worry about yarn or whatever kind of string you use tangling. I used yarn and didn't feel that it would tangle. However, some yarn is sleeker than others. To me, the phrasing "no visible hair adornments" implies nothing decorative, but plain pins that happen to show would be alright, and a string that blends in well for hair taping should also fall under that. Couldn't you ask your teacher for more specifics about what they consider to be acceptable hairstyles/hair accessories that you could use?

There's really nothing wrong with what I currently use... I'm just intrigued by hair taping. :)

I mean, no, you're not going to get marked down because you flash a hairpin; I'd just have to be very careful that whatever-it-was blended almost perfectly with my hair, so it wouldn't look like it was supposed to be decorative.

My hair is super-tangly just on its own, and I know how acrylic yarn can get tangled with itself sometimes, so I'm loathe to put it near my hair-- it's part of the reason I've never made a yarn paranda, either. Mercerized cotton might work, though.