PDA

View Full Version : Monistat substitute

julliams
April 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I went to buy some Daktarin today which is apparently the subsititute for Monistat only they only had the foot cream and I was under the impression that it was supposed to be vaginal cream. I found a vaginal cream by Resolve which is 2% miconazole nitrate w/w and the preservative in it is phenethyl alcohol 1%w/w.

My questions is, can I use this product as a substitute for Monistat on my scalp for possible faster hair growth or am I better off getting the Daktarin Foot stuff. Is phenethyl alcohol ok to put on my hair??

The chemist told me that the ingredients in the foot stuff would not be as mild as the Resolve as it's designed to be for more sensitive areas :o
So I went for the Resolve and I was going to try using it tonight.

But.. I will wait to hear from anyone who can advise me before I go ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Lassie
April 13th, 2010, 05:46 AM
the product that i used is the daktarin foot stuff...
the main ingrediant in most vaginal thrush creams here in australia is a different one as far as i discovered..

The alcohol may have a drying effect...as long as you moisturise very well it should be ok i think

I tried a liquid form of daktarin (for nails) as i thought that this would be easier to apply then a cream, this had that same alcohol in it, though i cant remember the %, and i cant recall having any irritation of discomfort from it - but i only applied it a couple of times and got the cream without the alcohol because i couldn't get a definitive answer on the effect of the alcohol so figured i would give it a miss rather then chance it....

You can only try - worst case you scalp may be a tad dry?

Skin doesnt get more sensitive then it does down there, so if the alcohol is ok to be applied there then i cant imagine that it would do too much if any harm to your scalp

julliams
April 13th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I went ahead and used it. The cream has a kind of plasticy floral scent to it which I didn't mind. I do have a mild warm sensation on my scalp and a low grade headache but I am a headachey person so I'm not sure if it is directly from the cream or if it was there already and coincidental. I'll try it again in a few days and if I get a headache right away again I'll rethink this.

ruirui
April 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
This is a little late, but I've used Daktarin (the cream for feet) as a monistat substitute with good results before. :)

LHktress
April 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I've used Daktarin foot cream too and it worked for me.
BTW, I also tried the Daktarin foot spray (it sprays a whitish powder, kind of like talc) but that didn't work so well.