PDA

View Full Version : Do braids count as a protective updo?

HintOfMint
April 13th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm not terribly skilled with updos, especially when I have somewhere to be. I can manage a ballet bun and braids. I have heavy layers and thick hair, and I do not own any hair forks/sticks. For the record I only use fairly smooth hairties without metal. I'm comfortable with braids, I can do both French and Dutch. For now, I'm alright with my lack of variety, I know that each style takes some practice.

However, my go-to style is two french braids, particularly at the gym. They hide dirty hair really well, and don't come loose. However, I'm worried that having the braids down my back will damage my hair anyway. I have few splits and little damage, but when they exist, they're not spread out. They're in the longest layer of my hair from my nape and temples, which is also the finest in texture. Over the years I made many changes to my hair routine, so this is the most split/damage free I have ever seen my hair, especially with my new habit of keeping my hair up away from friction (I wear a lot of tweed and wool). Could the remaining damage that I have be chalked up to wearing my braids? Are braids simply not protective enough?

2peasinapod
April 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I think braids protect hair by reducing tangles, but the only problem is that the ends are exposed. Is there any way you could clip the ends up? Or a braided bun with the ends tucked in, maybe?

I don't think your damage is caused by the braids, if it was it probably would be spread out, and since it's the most split free that you've seen your hair, that means it's working! I just wanted to suggest a few ways to make them more protective. :)

Aquamarine
April 13th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Well, I'm not 100% sure. In my opinion, they're better than just letting your hair hang down loose. But the ends suffer a lot. Wearing your hair up in a bun protects the ends and your length in general.

Loreley
April 13th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I think they are half protective. Braids are better than wearing it loose but it doesn't protect the ends. A bun is the best for that.

Pierre
April 13th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I don't consider braids hanging down an updo. I sometimes braid my hair, joining the two braids at the back of my head, and fasten the joined braid to the top of my head (see my album). That is an updo.

lesbia
April 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM
In my opinion braids are protective for the lenght but not for the ends: not protective as an updo but better then loose air

JenniferNoel
April 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
It depends on the hair. I've never experienced damage with the braids. I usually keep the tail (ends) long-ish, and tuck them under the hair tie (pull them half way through the tie nice and tight). It looks kinda weird at first but sometimes I pin little flowers or clips to make it look better. :)

ASillyKitty
April 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Like others have said, braids are protective for the length but not really for the ends. Sometimes I double up my braid so the ends are tucked up underneath and that way they're more protected. I also oil my ends every day for some added protection. I don't wear that many updos because they tend to give me a headache, and I think it's ok for me. Buns are probably the most protective but you have to do what's best for your hair; I think if I had to wear a bun every day I would end up chopping all my hair off! If you have damage in certain sections, could it be how you sleep on it? Just a thought.

SunDreamer76
April 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't consider braids hanging down an updo. I sometimes braid my hair, joining the two braids at the back of my head, and fasten the joined braid to the top of my head (see my album). That is an updo.

Ok, FYI... "My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!" is freakin' hilarious! I love the Princess Bride. Great reference there!

PadmeAmidala
April 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think braids are as protective as updos, because when you move, the lenghts and ends suffer, as they always touch your back.

But then, you can't always be 100% protective, and sometimes, long hair wants to be shown!

clairenewcastle
April 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Although I love the look of braids, putting a hair tie around my ends never apealed to me for I don't like to put pressure on the weakest part of my hair.

Gumball
April 14th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I agree that a braid, just hanging down, isn't very protective. The length and the tassel rub against your clothing. That friction can cause some wear and tear of the strands. It's a different story if it is up in, say, a bun, as it's not swinging and rubbing against clothing, so it's not causing as much friction.

When it comes to tying the ends I know a tight hair tie over a prolonged period of time isn't a great thing because it exerts constant pinching pressure on the hair near the end. When I braid my hair and get ready to bun it, I just tie the hair tie enough to wear the braid won't simply unravel, but not tight enough to be a viable way to secure the braid (it would come of with a little jiggle). It makes it easier to bun the braid without risking it undoing itself, and then the loose little tie just gets lost in the bun until I take it down.

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I think it's pretty protective but the ends might get damaged.

Dziip
August 10th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe i'm wrong about it but it seems to me that if you braid too strongly your hair are streched too.
It's, of course, better than letting them hang and tangle but, as the rubber band may damage your hair if it's always placed at the same length, can't the tight of a braid harm them ?

catamonica
August 12th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I just wear a low braided bun. And use a bobby pin to keep the end tucked underneath the bun.

SilverDoe
August 12th, 2012, 02:16 AM
My biggest concern is hairtie damage as I've had issues with it in the past.
I braid my hair when I go to sleep every night. And after switching to Blax snag free hair elastics or a flexi 8, & oiling the area I put it in I've had no further damage.

melusine963
August 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I used to think of braids as protective, but they're just not protective enough for me. My hair would still catch on my clothes (particularly at the back of my neck), and I'd end up with tangles and breakage.

Rufflebutt
August 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Braids do help! It's a lot better than wearing your hair loose and it does protect it.
But I strongly encourage you to find out how to do other updos. I found some marvelously beautiful ones! And with a little practice it's easy peasy. :)

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've been wearing braids in updos for a good many years and have found them protective.

However, everything hinges on how you take care of those last 3 or 4 inches. You can vary the place where you place the small elastics that hold the braid, or if your hair is long enough, you can just tuck in the last 3 or 4 inches of the braid under the bun or braid you've already made.

Hanging braids are problematic, however, since the braid is subject to more chances to get rubbed against on fabrics or chairs or what have you.

I've found that a weekly touch of a few drops of MO on the last 4 inches of my damp braid ends helps keep the hair moisturized, soft and supple.