PDA

View Full Version : why is this?

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
look at my poofy bun in avatar
<------ see it looks lighter in the bun.

Now look at my siggi, no sign of the lighter bits. My hair is all virgin and in pony's the ends look lighter, why is this?

Feisty Redhead
March 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The camera's flash, as well as the metering and other settings will make colors either wash out or otherwise not accurate it not set properly. Most people just use a basic point and shoot and just use auto settings, or don't know how to properly adjust their camera's settings to get "true to life" colors when taking pics. It's not really your hair that is different, it's the camera "playing tricks" on you. ;-)

AJoifulNoise
March 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I was going to say it's the flash, too.

lora410
March 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
my hair does the EXACT same thing. The ends were very light and I still have no idea why. I just simply embrace what god gave me. I think part of it is from exposure to sun, wind etc.

Shorty89
March 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I agree with lora. My ends are a heck of a lot lighter than the hair at my scalp. I'd assume it's sun exposure, past honey treatments etc. I'll have to post a picture of mine sometime.

AmandaPanda
March 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
My hair does that IRL, never mind the camera flash :p

Accolady
March 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi there!

I have the same problem in taking pictures of my hair. Depending
on the camera and the lighting, as well as the image editing software,
my hair can look very blond, very brown and has even been known
to look red.

Now if only we could a green tint. :D

Karen Marie

Kittee
March 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I think the sun/wind etc lightens up the ends as well. :)

daeana
March 10th, 2008, 11:41 PM
i have quite a bit of completely natural color variation in my hair, so i'd say it's due to a combination of camera/lighting and natural color variation.

manyhorsesmane
March 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Oils at the base of the hair, causing darker appearance perhaps? I notice my roots are darker and the longer it gets, the lighter it gets.....older hairs feel more porous and maybe catches the light differently.....

I want my Pantene hair back, boy was that healthy or what? ...but they changed the formulas and drove my scalp nuts, so I had to switch after 17 yrs. argh! Now I'm 6 months into experimenting with brands I've only read about, and so far Garnier is winning......

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Sounds like it's probably a camera thing, but as a side note, my ends have always been lighter because they're simply older and have been exposed to the sun more.

Katze
March 11th, 2008, 04:01 AM
1) older ends are dryer and have been exposed to sun, wind, etc. Some peoples' hair does this more than others

2) different lighting can dramatically change the color appearance of some peoples' hair. Mine varies about as much as yours in different lighting, too; it's blonde in sunlight, brown in overcast/artificial light.

3) clean hair can often look lighter than "dirty" hair. Mine also varies several shades depending on if I've washed it and what I've washed it with.

so don't worry, this is perfectly normal!

katze

Lady Godiva
March 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
In addition to the camera flash/lighting tendency already described, there's also the fact that when wavy hair (and curly, sometimes, too) gets put up, first it gets pulled neatly together, sometimes tightly, for simple ease of management when putting the hair up. This creates a more uniform, larger, flatter "surface" that the camera flash can reflect on. This is what I'm seeing in your updo photo. Your hair when left down and loose has its natural wave, so any light bounces in all sorts of directions. The flat-area flash is a common occurrence for us straighties even when our hair is left down.

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Lady Godiva is absolutely right. My hair does this too. Also I even notice if I blow dry it a bit toward the front of my hair it looks a little lighter for some reason rather than letting it dry all the way by itself. It depends on how long since it has been washed too like someone else said. The flash makes the major difference though for me and that is what it looks like more with yours especially since it looks like it is a close-up picture. The color is gorgeous either way though!:)

rhubarbarin
March 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
My hair is much lighter at the ends too. It's the blond in me coming out. I'm not a blond and haven't been since I was a kid, but just like my parents my hair gets quite light very quickly from sun exposure.

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
The camera's flash, as well as the metering and other settings will make colors either wash out or otherwise not accurate it not set properly. Most people just use a basic point and shoot and just use auto settings, or don't know how to properly adjust their camera's settings to get "true to life" colors when taking pics. It's not really your hair that is different, it's the camera "playing tricks" on you. ;-)

its does the same in real life, looks lighter when up in the ends yet down it look uniform in colour!

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
my hair does the EXACT same thing. The ends were very light and I still have no idea why. I just simply embrace what god gave me. I think part of it is from exposure to sun, wind etc.

yes i agree with this weather plays a huge part, its just strange its not noticeable when down. I suppose thats what i like about natural hair, the different colours it has x

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
It's the lighting.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
It's the lighting.

*Another* thread that's 5 years old!

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
*Another* thread that's 5 years old!

Someone likes practicing their necromancy skills every few months. :D

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
2008 is the new 2013!

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
2008 is the new 2013!

The Long Hair Community, ladies and gentlemen. It's better than a hot-tub time machine :)