PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about having hair down?

joiekimochi
April 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Pre-LHC, I loved keeping my hair down. I love the feeling of my soft downy hair caressing my arms and around my face and neck. When dressing up to go out, putting it up was NEVER an option. Buns were for the shower, not as a hair-do option.

However, after joining LHC I realized how damaging leaving hair down was. It's probably why my previous TBL hair was damaged for the last 6 inches (also, I had been dyeing the length consistently for the last 8 years, plus using the curling iron, backcombing and lots of hairspray, so leaving it down wasn't my only vice). Plus my hair ALWAYS got snapped and broken by the straps of my tote bags and handbags, the wind would whip it all over the place and DBF loves to rub my hair between his palms because he enjoys it.

So now my hair is always in an updo whenever I'm out, except for the very very rare special date night (DBF is now on strict orders not to touch my hair for more than 5 minutes a day). Yay for buying lots of pretty hair toys. I've found that my ends have totally lost their dried-out crunchiness, even after 3 days of no-washing (the 2nd day used to result in oily roots and velcro-dry ends, now the roots are slightly greasy and the ends still perfect), and my hair feels terrific, almost as nice as my virgin hair back when I was 14. I don't really miss having my hair down so much (every night I usually let my hair down from my updo for about 30 minutes before I braid it and go to sleep) but there's one thing I REALLY miss about having my hair down during the day.

MY NECK GETS SOOOO COLD! It's fine outdoors, since I live in a hot climate, but the indoors are always ridiculously air-conditioned to sub-zero temperatures. It's not practical to wear long sleeves when outdoors, so most girls like me would carry thin cardigans in our bags to put on during lectures or lessons. But my neck is uncovered by the cardigan, which leads to it becoming cold, leading to my having to put my hands around my neck to keep it warm, leading to me unable to write notes. Lol. :D

For those of you who wear updos often, what do you miss about having your hair down?

Nevermore
April 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
You'll get used to not having hair on your neck to keep it warm. I personally don't miss having my hair down on a daily basis, it was in my way constantly. I wear it down for my girlfriend because I would miss her hands in it if it was up.

BrightEyes7
April 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I miss wearing it down because it made me feel more 'womanly'... I just don't feel as pretty with my hair up for some reason. But I wear it down about once a month, sometimes more, sometime less. And I always liked playing with my hair and brushing it. But my hair is a lot healthier now so... I guess you have to make some sacrifices! :D

missmandy
April 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I still wear it down and think I always will. I'm growing my hair because I love the look of it down. If it gets a bit damaged, well, that's just too bad. I hate the way I look with my hair up and would rather have chin length hair and be able to wear it down than knee length hair that I HAD to wear up. That's partly why I chose my goal length, it is still possible to wear it down.

bunnii
April 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Nothing, I always wear my hair down :D except if i'm going out then I put it up because it annoys me. But when i'm out and about I love showing off my hair :p

Gumball
April 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I can't say I miss wearing my hair down. It happens very rarely still, but more often than not I like and prefer it up. One of the reasons I grew it out was to enjoy putting it up. :)

elina333
April 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I love wearing my hair down but after joining LHC in January that habit was put to an end :D I now only wear it down if Im going clubbing or something. I love how it feels though, brushing against my back! I wish I could wear it down all the time but I just cant stand the thought of all the damage :shudder: So up it goes! :)

spidermom
April 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Can't say I miss it because I wear my hair down whenever I feel like it.

Olde Soul
April 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I always felt prettier with my hair down, it kind of gave me a spring in my step. I wore it down for the first time in months last week and immediately got compliments on it, but it's not worth the damage. :(

paperwhite
April 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
The only things I really miss are the way it fell around my shoulders and catching glimpses of the sun reflecting off of it in windows/mirrors. It's so, so, so much more convenient for me to wear it up. I never realized just how much it got in the way (purse straps, seat belts, blowing in my face, catching on glasses, etc.) until I started wearing it up all the time. I'll leave it down every once in a while, but usually only if I'm home and inside where it can't really be harmed or get in the way.

Katrina
April 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I miss the (rare) compliments I got when my hair was down. I have found out, that in real life, pretty much no one compliments updos. On the contrary, some people even complain about not being able to see it down.

Otherwise than that, I don't miss anything. My hair feels very dry after an hour or so down and it tangles horribly. No matter how long it is. If it is short-ish, it poofs and feels dry. If it is long, it tangles and feels dry. It never feels really soft, but it feels extra rough if I wear it down longer than an hour. I prefer keeping it contained. Besides, I enjoy all the different updos :)

SheaLynne
April 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I don't miss mine down as much as I thought, either. I also didn't realize how much it was getting in the way until it is not there getting in the way!

I do miss just being able to share with others how much healthier and great it looks being treated kindly, but all the more to WOW them when I do wear it down, right? :D And I can share with dh and with LHC every day without damage!

Calista
April 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I cannot wear my hair down, ever, no matter what length itīs at. It fights me, constantly getting into my face or my glass of wine or between me and some moving object. :scared:

Maybe once my hair is at classic, I might get a few of those (http://www.gartenmoebel.edingershops.de/images/product_images/popup_images/91121100_0.jpg), attach them to my ends and enjoy a day of wearing my hair down. ;)

Ravenne
April 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I miss the way it feels when it rubs my shoulders and back. But like others have said, i gets in the way SO much! It constantly gets caught in backpack straps, seatbelts, ... car doors (that one hurt). The slightest breeze and it's flying everywhere and is tangled beyond belief. Now I can walk to class with it in a braid or bun and not spend the first 30 seconds of my walk making sure my hair isn't caught under my backpack and when I get to class I don't feel the need to pull out a comb and "fix" it.

I do still wear it down for special occasions. DBF loves it when I wear it down (and he really loves braid waves. Convenient) and I like it when he plays with it. :) He's very good about watching his arm when he puts it around my shoulders so it doesn't trap my braid or messing up a bun. He caught on quick. So when it's down I let him enjoy it. :) Which makes me enjoy it more too.

Carolyn
April 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
When I miss wearing it down I find a time to wear it down. If that makes sense. I love how it feels on my back and arms. I love that little tickle and how it swishes around me. It's not as convenient to wear it down as it once was as it gets caught on things more and tangles more. So it's a real treat when I do wear it down now.

Capybara
April 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I wear my hair however I want, down or up, so I don't miss wearing it down :D It's become second nature to move my hair out of the way when I'm getting in a car/carrying a purse, and if it starts to get windy I automatically will bring it all around to the front and hold it or tuck it down the back of my shirt. I like it in an up-do just as much as down.

EtherealOde
April 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
The only things I really miss is the way it fell around my shoulders and catching glimpses of the sun reflecting off of it in windows/mirrors. It's so, so, so much more convenient for me to wear it up. I never realized just how much it got in the way (purse straps, seat belts, blowing in my face, catching on glasses, etc.) until I started wearing it up all the time. I'll leave it down every once in a while, but usually only if I'm home and inside where it can't really be harmed or get in the way.

This is exactly how I feel. Most of the time, if my hair is down it's because it is drying. The rest of the time it's in braids or an updo. I hate when it gets caught, I just know even if I don't see the damage that it's there and it bothers me. Because of that, I enjoy wearing it up and that's one of my reasons for growing it longer. I want some of the more elaborate and pretty updo styles.

My hubby likes my hair long and down, but he isn't always careful with it, like in the movies for example. He will put his arm around me and catch my hair between his arm and the seat back, and it really hurts. He doesn't mean to be careless with it, but he is, so I wear it up to protect it.

GoddesJourney
April 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I wear it down all the time. I braid it anytime it's going to get in my way. I take it back down when I remember later. It's great.

Sara_1987
April 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I still wear it down and think I always will. I'm growing my hair because I love the look of it down. If it gets a bit damaged, well, that's just too bad. I hate the way I look with my hair up and would rather have chin length hair and be able to wear it down than knee length hair that I HAD to wear up.

I'm exactly the same.

HintOfMint
April 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM
The way it looked. It was simply more flattering and sexy when it was down. I have a bit of a chipmunk cheek thing going on, so the hair down definitely creates the optical illusion of a more oval face. It still looks nice up, but wearing it down was just a surefire way of looking nice.

Also having it wild and wavy and having it contrast with a conservative button down. I miss that effect.

SpinDance
April 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Miss it? Actually I don't miss it. I wear it down when I want, and up when I want. And now that I can make buns with hair sticks/forks or Flexi's I can take it down and put it up in seconds, so I do. Whenever the mood takes me.

Once it got past waist/hip, it really got into things, which I don't care for. And it is long enough that it doesn't easily just stay back behind my shoulders when I lean forward. So, sticks, forks and Flexi's are my constant companions now!

In my opinion, one of the best things about long hair is the options. Up, down, both, it's all good.

Karala
April 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Same here, I used to wear my hair down all the time and now I hardly ever do anymore. I do feel prettier, younger and sexier with my hair down, so I miss that, but I like that days (usually nights!) when I do wear my hair down are now really special and I know that I will feel I look good.

jasper
April 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I could say I miss showing my length. While it's longer than BSL it isn't practical to wear it down. Ironically, if I cut of half my length, more people could see my long hair.

Quixii
April 12th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I wear my hair in a ponytail. Most of the beauty of having it down, but lacking the annoyance. When I want to wear it down, I do.
Buns I don't do very often. I feel like I should get into protective styling more, but, frankly, I don't like the look of most of it, and can't figure out how to do... most of it.

BunnyBee
April 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My hair's down right now, having a rest. It's in my way, getting in my face. I don't miss it. I love updos. With shorter hair it's ALWAYS in your face!

Eniratak
April 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I don't miss anything, considering my hair is down all the time.
And I have classic length hair.
I've learned that there are a lot of more damaging things that could happen to my hair than me leaving it down.
I like it down. I don't like it up.

Ivy~Rose
April 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I loved wearing my hair down, and I'd just figured out parts that made it look nice--now I never part it on the side! :( I miss it, and it makes my head look smaller with my hair tucked away. /dramatic sigh. Actually, it's been proven that men gauge power/respect based on size (ever see a guy lean back in his office chair, extending his arms? he's demonstrating power subconsciously)--and since I only have 1 other female coworker, I've become conscious of how much smaller I really look than the guys I work with. Hm.

For the air conditioning--can you find shirts with collars? Shirts and vests with collars are my best friends, although I bring sweaters everywhere too.

RavennaNight
April 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I wear my hair down very often, and I don't let the fear of damage get in my way.:) I wear it up for work, but for me ponytails count as up too (gasp!). I will never miss wearing it down because for me down=enjoyment, and that's what hair is for, wether your preference is to wear it up or down. I didn't grow my hair to hide it.

Anje
April 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Nothing. I've worn my hair up since I figured out how to put it in a ponytail. Started wearing buns primarily a few months before joining LHC, because I noticed breakage from the ponytail elastic. And when I want to wear it down, I wear it down. Just not a lot.

Merewen
April 12th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I tend to get in ruts with hairstyles. I get up, I put my hair how it has been the past few months and go on with my day. I wore it down regularly for years. So I don't miss it, since a bun is now my regular go-to style that I put in every day without thinking about it.

That being said, I find that I enjoy the times I do wear it down a lot more now since it's more of a treat than a regular thing.

Ash
April 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I don't miss anything because I wear it down when I feel like it. Updos look ridiculous on me. I braid my hair for sleep and work and bun it at home when I need it out of the way. I fail to see the point of me having long hair if I cannot enjoy it.

Roseate
April 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Strangely enough, I think the thing I miss most about wearing it down often is being comfortable with it down.

I clearly remember how I used to think updo's were pointless, how much I liked feeling it on my back... but now I feel the exact opposite. I love a good updo, I feel elegant and timeless, and with it down I feel like just another girl with longish, unkempt hair. I just don't feel as pretty with it down, though I know other people like it more down. :shrug:

SpeakingEZ
April 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I do miss not worrying about it so much when it was down. Right now, I only wear it down for work and when it's drying. When I sleep with it down, I really notice how tangled it gets in the night. (Spent half an hour this morning gently combing because I fell asleep early, good thing I had the day off!)

I also really notice how dry it gets when I leave it down. Also, it tangles really fast and I have a tendency to over-comb/brush. So I try to wear it up as often as I can.

Blandine
April 13th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I rarely have my hair down because I cannot stand having it in my face whenever I bend forward. But in terms of hair care, I think there is nothing wrong with wearing it down now and then if you like it. We are not our hair's slaves, are we?

Feli
April 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'm similar to roseate - I actually feel prettier with my hair up.

Sometime after BSL I just started to feel that even though I don't have especially thin hair, the length sort of drags it down and takes away any volume. When I where it down, I have the sense that its all lying flat on my head. Updos allow me to create some volume which I think looks much nicer. I'm sort of torn between leaving it long because I love the updos I can do and cutting it shorter so that I don't feel like it's all weighted down and just sort of hanging there.

Esme51
April 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I only wear my hair up (in a braid) when I am practicing or teaching yoga. Wearing my hair up always seems to give me a pain in my neck after about an hour :(

senorasunny
May 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I used to always wear my hair down because I thought I looked strange with it up (like, that my head looked oddly shaped or something). Since joining LHC I decided to do the "Wear Your Hair Up..." challenge. I've been pleasantly surprised that I no longer mind having my hair up. It's easier in the morning to know that I don't have to decide if it looks decent enough to wear down.

Now I just need to put it in some more interesting updos...currently I've just been throwing it up in a claw clip almost every day.

Snowcold
May 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm actually growing my hair to still have it down. I'm a complete disaster when it comes to updo's, I can't even make a beautiful simple braid on myself. The only thing I manage are ponytails (completely or half up) and pig tails.

I want to learn some braids and a bun, but it's not like I'm gonna wear my long hair up all the time! Then growing long hair would be pointless for me in the first place. :p

Meagan
May 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
What's the point of growing long hair just to keep it up all the time?
I only keep my hair up when im inside the house, when I go out it's down.

RoseRedDead
May 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Nothing.

I allow myself to wear it down when I want to do so. It makes me very thankful for long, pretty hair, but also INCREDIBLY thankful that I can put said hair up securely!

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I am in "wear hair up" challenge, it's day 76 today. At the beginning I missed the way I look like with my hair down and the feeling when my hair lays on my back. But now when I have my hair down before washing, it gets in my way and... I feel weird with my hair down. I am used to wearing it up now. Sometimes if I really miss the feeling of my hair on the back, I let it down for a while. And about the way I look like- I found many updos that frame my face in fantastic way.
So generally, I don't miss anything.

david
May 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Nothing. I wear my hair down as much as possible. Obviously on windy days or when I'm doing something active I put it up. But I'm very much of the idea that I grew my hair to wear it down not keep it tied up all the time.

Uinda
May 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've just joined the wear your hair up challenge because I wanted to force myself to learn some new updos. I already found out that having my hair up is much more convenient. We have a lot of wind here in Vienna, so usually my long hair was flying all over the place, into my DBFs mouth, my mouth, my glasses, the straps of my bag, it got caught in my zip ...
So basically, I don't miss anything because my curls were a mess the last couple of years. I'll grow them healthy and strong now, then I'll wear them down again :)

spidermom
May 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I do miss feeling the wind blow through my hair, though.

Theobroma
May 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
What's the point of growing long hair just to keep it up all the time?

Being ABLE to put it up in all sorts of cool and elegant updos! (Preferably involving a growing supply of cool and elegant hairtoys.) :D

Seriously, I didn't use to like putting up my hair, but I've been doing it consistently since February to protect the ends (I want to grow some more length without the fairytale ends getting even wispier than they are), and I've really developed a taste for it. I love the way it feels and I love the way it looks even more!

Oh... and I also love the way people are looking at my dos (which aren't even all that elaborate yet, because there's a limit to how much you can do with BSL hair) and demanding, "How did you DO that???":hifive:

Mamakash
May 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
When I joined LHC I never wore my hair up . . . and silently swore I never would. Now I wear it up all the time. I started wearing pre tied bandanas, berets, and snoods and think I looked better with a bit of color on my head. I don't miss my ends floating about my face, shedding hairs everywhere, starting at a split end. It doesn't mean I won't have it down in the future . . . it's just simpler right now.

Islandgrrl
May 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
It's been so long since I've worn my hair down, I don't know what I miss. But I'm gonna find out in 97 days.

young&reckless
May 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Me too! The only time I never wear it down is while driveing. I'll braid it quickly if I'm going to have my window open. Its just to much of a mess to untangle otherwise.

jane53
May 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've never heard that wearing it down damages it. Dang! I wear it down. When I wear it up, it has the stress of pins or hair sticks. My hair is in very good shape and has very few breaks or split ends.

luckyduck
May 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I rarely wear my hair down, at 55 it looks silly on me to wear it down. I look in the mirror at the beautiful hair (not much gray yet)and then I glance at the wrinkles, chuckle, and put it in a braid or some other updo, much better.
I don't want to be like some classic commercial, the young man sees the beautiful flowing mane, he can't wait to see the face, argh, he wasn't expecting that! LOL!
Maybe when my gray catches up to the rest of me I will.

pennylane
May 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I am another one here who always wears her hair down, even if my hair is not as stunning as most of the people here, that's the price i have to pay.

In this process of growing my hair i am determined that hair will be my slave so to speak and not the other way around. For me the function of hair is to frame my face in my daily life.... and that is one of the reasons that i am only growing to BSL, that way i can manage it better allowing me some length and at the same time feeling happy with the way i look. :)

jane53
May 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm 56, luckyduck. Not much grey. None really visible. I wear it in a ponytail to work.

What updos do you use? Mine is so long, the only one I've managed is a bun/chignon with a hairstick.

Maeve
May 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I used to put my hair up to prevent damage, but even then my hair had many splits and I really didn't like the way I looked with updo's.
I was fed up with my hair one day and chopped a lot of it off, after I saw the back of my head in a fitting room mirror. Down it looked stringy and unkempt, up it was just a puny little bun.

After I enjoyed my shorter hair for a while, I decided to just have fun with my hair the way it is. Long hair is part of who I am, and even though I'm not very blessed by the hairgods, I want to feel hair on my back, play with it and wear it the way I want to, not the way I feel I need to. And if it gets in the way, I'll just braid it, for me the only acceptible looking way to keep the hair out of my face. And if it damages my hair more, I'll just throw in an extra s&d session, I now know my hair will split no matter what I do or don't do to it.

theboredelf
May 19th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I found this site around Thanksgiving of last year and have been wearing my hair up on a near-daily basis since then. My hair had been tb-length for almost 3 years and wasn't getting any longer because of the damage. I had assumed putting my hair up would damage it more, but I was picturing everything starting with a ponytail, which kills my hair. My usual style is just a bun with a Ficcare, either braided or not depending on how busy I am in the mornings.

The biggest con I've found with wearing my hair up is that I feel more matronly; I just turned 22 and I look closer to 32 with my hair up and without make-up. (This is not always a con, such as when I'm negotiating lease contracts for my store, I get taken more seriously.) I agree with the original poster, however, that my neck gets excruciatingly cold. Half of my wardrobe is turtlenecks now. (Which only adds to the "matronly" effect...) I also invested in a designer scarf for the holidays, which was used through mid-April.

One pro I never really imagined was that the people who used to comment negatively about my hair length are instead commenting positively on my hair toys, or on my clothes.

jane53
May 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
When I put mine up, I don't start with a ponytail. I just twist it, coil it, and stick one hairstick. People who watch me do it can't believe that one stick holds up all that hair.

I don't seem to get any damage from wearing it down. My ends are strong.

I'm not good at doing other styles besides that coiled chignon. I've seen a few here and tried them, but my hair looked a mess, unlike the youtubes.

luckyduck
May 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm 56, luckyduck. Not much grey. None really visible. I wear it in a ponytail to work.

What updos do you use? Mine is so long, the only one I've managed is a bun/chignon with a hairstick.
Jane 53, I wear a simple braid in the back alot. I also do a messy bun with an elastic, or a regular bun with a claw clip. There are a ton of updos on this site. My hair is only bsl so it will be a little while before I can do some of them. I don't do a ponytail, I am concerned about the damage from the elastic.

pinkbunny
May 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Sometimes I miss the feeling of it on my back/arms, and sometimes I'll be in a situation where I wish it was down so I could show someone. I do wear it down when I get the chance, though.

Have you tried scarves for your cold neck? I personally like PLO scarves (http://www.the-games-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ploscarf16_500jpg.jpeg), as they come in so many different colors/patterns and can be dressed up or down...

aksown
May 19th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have to say I'm in the "wear it down when I want" camp. I love using my Ketylo hairsticks in a really awesome updo. Also, I love being the only one who knows exactly how long my hair is. I updo every day for months and then one day BAM!! I leave it down and dazzle (er, intrigue?) my family and friends. I take it down for awhile before I go to bed so I get to enjoy it brushing my back and my arms and then I put it up to keep it safe from my crazy sleep habits!

In2JC724
May 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I love to wear my hair down.. I'm very much into the mind set of, why have it long if you're going to have it up ALL the time.. Don't get me wrong, I do wear it up sometimes, but usually just when I'm busy. When I do wear it up, I miss the feel of it.. and I feel younger with it down! lol

kelly-j
May 20th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I must say that I donīt miss anything about not having my hair down. In fact I just hate when my hair just hangs there and is getting in the way of everything. Hair in the mouth, hair getting caught, people touching it.. you name it.
I love having my hair up.

Theobroma
May 20th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Also, I love being the only one who knows exactly how long my hair is. I updo every day for months and then one day BAM!! I leave it down and dazzle (er, intrigue?) my family and friends.

This! I have a secret fantasy of putting it up every day, consistently, until it's reached hip or tailbone and then leaving it down one day just to watch the jaws drop! :D

Arual
May 20th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I want to be able to wear my hair down. I really do. But since it got longer I've been wearing it up more and more. Now, when I do decide to wear it down for a day I get really really hot. Also, I find that when it's down I run my hands through it more and it gets greasy quite quickly.

What I miss most though is the look of long hair. That, and the nice feel of it swishing around my face :)

GlassEyes
May 20th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Nothing. I wear my hair down when I want to. :shrug:

Buns don't really protect hair for me. They just keep it out of the way.

XcaliburGirl
May 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM
This! I have a secret fantasy of putting it up every day, consistently, until it's reached hip or tailbone and then leaving it down one day just to watch the jaws drop! :D
When I first met my husband, we were out as a group of friends and he asked how long my hair was. Rather than explain it, I pulled out my hair sticks and shook it down (probably around TBL at that time). Great way to instantly make an impression. ;)

Quetiepi
December 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I wear my hair down all the time, unless I'm cooking or doing housework. I love how it feels. It's at waist length, and I think this is where I'm going to keep it. I got 2" trimmed a couple of days ago, and I'll go back in a few months when it needs another maintenance trim. I quit coloring and using a blow dryer and it really doesn't get damaged by wearing it down. If I was going to keep it up all the time, it might as well be short. I got a really nice unsolicited compliment last night when we were out to dinner. A man walking by said my hair was beautiful. I have never had a stranger come up to me & say anything of the sort before. If it was up in a bun, who would notice my hair?

Amber_Maiden
December 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
the warmth I get from it. it's like a blanket.

MasCat
December 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Heh, since I joined LHC I wear my hair up almost all the time - I braid it for riding my motorcycle and then just put it up when I reach my destination - I feel good thinking, that my hair is just held by haorstick - no elastics :)

About two months after that I wore my hair down for about 15mins and it got in the way a lot - so I just took my hairstick and up it went :) I love the feeling of hair brushing against my back when I go to the shower :)

I will wear it down whenever I feel like it, but actually I'm a practical girl, so...

slz
December 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM
The absence of noticeable weight - whatever I do with my hair, updo, braids, single braid, bun, anything, it is bound to pull somewhere one way or another. Hair down = comfortable at last.
And the sexyness :D .
Oh and the possibility to hide behind it, I'm very self conscious with my face (big nose and chin, compulsive skin picker, I've got it all :/ ). So having my hair up or anyway out of my face forces me to overcome this self consciousness. I still know I'm probably not showing much in term of attractiveness, but I've forcefully learnt not to care :D .

RapunzelKat
December 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I actually prefer wearing my hair up. For one thing, mine is now long enough to sit on, so it can really get in the way, fast! :D Also, one of the reasons I want to grow my hair really long is because I love long braids and fancy updos.

I love wearing it down for special occasions - on a special date with my man or for a big family gathering. I think it makes wearing my hair down more special when I only do it every now and then. :) Even more rarely, I will wear it down at work, because it's entertaining to see how many people are shocked by it. :cheese:

The one thing I do miss... how perfectly straight and shiny my hair is when I wear it down!

Madora
December 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I rarely wore it loose and free..too much of it and it tangled too much.

But when I did, it loved how my hair shone, especially the red glints. But wearing my hair down was akin to wearing a horse blanket...thick as hot as hell, as well as here, there and everywhere.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I used to wear mine down all the time. I loved the way it would get in my way and I'd flip it out of the way. I miss the looks people used to give me back then. The looks were mixed and it would hang down my back and keep me warm in the winter.

Zesty
December 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I like wearing my hair up because it's way more convenient, and there's also the factor of mystery -- I get comments whenever I let it down, which is fun. But mostly I miss having it down because I just plain look better with it down, especially in pictures. I do wear it down for special occasions, but it's just way too impractical to wear it down daily at this point.

Torrin Paige
December 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Same here. Granted when I'm doing things (cleaning house, working out, taking a bath) I put it up, but I leave it down almost as much.

Diamond.Eyes
December 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I always wear my hair down :shrug:. The days that I don't feel like styling all of my hair, I just braid it. I'll bun it when I clean up around the house...or when I'm eating soup :laugh: But I never really wear fancy updo's unless I'm willing to spend twenty minutes on my hair to whip out a fancy 'do. I'm lazy. :D

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I still keep my hair down all the time. I look bad in updos and feel unsure with my hair up. I'd rather have damaged hair than a chunk of confidence missing.

ladyshep
December 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I wear my hair loose when my kids are at school. They like to sit on my lap, but they end up pulling or stepping on my hair. Ouch!! I wish I could wear it down all of the time, but I find that people have a hard time relating to me because they seem intimidated by my long hair.

moon2dove
December 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I wish I could wear it down all of the time, but I find that people have a hard time relating to me because they seem intimidated by my long hair.[/quote]

^^ Oh! I don't think I would be intimidated at all! I think I would be in awe of your beautiful knee length hair :D :bow:

Before LHC I rarely wore my hair up. Now I wear it up everyday - except wash days - and I love the feel of my hair on my back :D

I can't wait to reach waist when I will wear my hair down more often and really enjoy the length ;) ((I do miss wearing it down though)

kidari
December 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I liked wearing my hair down when it was APL. I could tease it, hairspray it, heatstyle it with abandon, because every month I would just cut almost an inch off. But now I avoid all those things like crazy and if I leave it down for too long it gets tangles everywhere. Also, the length really weighs down the volume and the curls come out more easily so I prefer wearing my hair up now.

QMacrocarpa
December 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
What I mostly remember about wearing my hair down all the time-- Constant tangling, lots of splits, and a breakage rate that could keep up with my growth rate. I don't miss it much! I have been meaning to wear my hair down (or more likely in a braid) once a week or so, but I have a hard time remembering to-- the updo habit is strong!

lillylonghair
December 6th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I also wear my hair down when I feel like it. I am at the gym a lot and have a two year old who likes to ''play'' in my hair so even if I wear it down,at some point it will go back up. But part of the reason I am growing my hair out is so I can have long flowing locks to show off:D

Chromis
December 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't miss a thing! Before I found the LHC I wore it in a ponytail almost all the time. I was soooo happy to find the articles and tutorials and threads here and have been putting it up ever since. No more hair getting caught in chairs, purse/backpack straps, car doors, you-name-it, and no more hair flying in my face, giant tangles of doom and way less shedding hair everywhere I go. I've never looked back.

My hair is only down when I am letting it dry or for a couple of hours now and then. I *enjoy* putting my hair up in cool updos and coordinating my hairtoys with my outfits. Even if I were not trying to find out what my terminal length is, I would still keep my hair long just to be able to play with it!

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm all backwards; pre-LHC I used to mostly wear my hair up, but now I wear it down all the time to show it off (^(oo)^)v

Mina17
December 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time now because it's at an awkward length, often looks unruly by the end of the day, and is starting to get caught in things like my winter coat and my handbag strap.

I have been told I look good with my hair up, but I miss having it down to warm my neck and sometimes I feel frumpy with it up. And I would like to show off how much it's grown:)

Zenjam
December 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I feel so much more attractive and sexy when I have my hair down :)
But I also get so warm when its down.. pyhh

When its up I feel more grown-up and professional and sometimes it just much more comfy :)

littlemiss
December 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I miss hiding behind it I'm very insecure about my body and weight and always found comfort in hiding behind my hair, but as it gets longer I have it down less and less to protect it.
:D

Babyfine
December 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I think I look a lot better with my hair down-so I miss having that hair down around my face. But I've been able to grow my hair a lot longer since LHC, and I partly attribute that to having it up and protected most of the time.
My goal is waist and I don't think my fragile ends will withstand being down and rubbing against clothing, chairs, ect on a daily basis.

twopoints
December 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm growing out my hair for updos. I love the one stick horizontal ones that are fast and secure. If I had to wear my hair down all the time, I'd rather just have a buzz cut because I hate my hair rubbing against my face and neck, and generally getting caught or in my way.

celebriangel
December 7th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well...I don't really miss it. I much prefer my hair tangle-free, neat and out of my way, which is how it is up.

When I get the urge to feel the length, which happens every so often, I let it down.

Carissamarie08
December 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
For me I dont understand the point of growing it out if your just going to wear it in a bun all the time. Let it be free and beautiful!

I do have to wear my hair up in a bun at work though.

Madora
December 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
For me I dont understand the point of growing it out if your just going to wear it in a bun all the time. Let it be free and beautiful!

I do have to wear my hair up in a bun at work though.

Many here wear their hair up to protect the delicate ends, which can become damaged when worn down all the time. Hair tends to tangle when worn loose and needs to be detangled, which can lead to breakage unless you're careful.

There are many ways to style your hair besides buns and your hair can look very beautiful when it is worn up. This is not to say that wearing your hair down is bad...but many members have found that their hair responded well to protecting it by wearing it up. They trimmed less and had less breakage from detangling.

Bianca
December 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Always wear my hair down. I am not growing my hair long, to keep it up and hide it all the time... No way :D

feb26
December 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I usually wear my hair down but put it up for workout or when it's bugging me...usually it goes up & down a few times in a day

Dragon Faery
December 8th, 2011, 10:22 PM
The thing I miss more than having my hair down is having it LONG.

I used to wear it down about half the time, and never understood why it was so damaged. I got so frustrated with having to keep cutting off damage. But thanks to LHC and all you knowledgeable folks, I am now on my way to having long hair that I will be proud to wear down in public. :)

Someday...

Lightningfury
December 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I leave my hair down a lot. It doesn't get to terribly tangled or damaged except maybe on a microscopic level. While I like to try updos I just don't seem to have much luck with them.

Either I don't have the right tools like enough bobby pins or chips or somehow I'll get it up and then suddenly when I let it go I find that one strand is now pulled painfully tight as it seems to hold the entire thing in place.

Besides I *use* my hair. I use it as a blanket or cloak when I'm cold. A scarf and ear muffs outside. In the winter I let my hair hang down in front of my face to refract the glare of the snow and in the car I'll let my hair cover my face to defuse the sunlight while still allowing me to see.

Some times it gets in my way but then I just find a hair stick or a scrunty to temporaily get it out of my way. During the summer it gets worn up a lot more usually wrapped around a hair stick.

WaterMusic
December 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I hate having my hair if I'm doing anything other than hanging out without moving. It always gets in my way. I prefer having it up.