PDA

View Full Version : how to get oil out of hair when wo

mintyhot
April 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I want to try wo washes, but i sometimes oil my hair. Will i be able to get the oil out with just hot water and apple cider vinegar? :confused:

countryhopper
April 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
It is very hard to get out oil with just water (kind of like washing an oily dish using just water and no soap...!)

You'd have to scrub your scalp well and rinse for a very long time... I'd look through the WO thread and see if anyone there has already brought this subject up and see the advice given.

Nevermore
April 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM
When I did WO, I made an effort to keep the oilings very light (remember: you can always add more) and restricted it to the bottom quarter or so of my hair. Since my hair is fairly long, I couldn't spread my sebum to the ends and the parts that I had to oil artificially soaked it up pretty easily.

ETA: I thought about some other things I used to do. If your hair can handle brushing with a boar bristle brush, you can brush some of the oil out (make sure you wash your brush thoroughly before and after so as to soak up the most oil) or brush in a bit of baby powder/dry shampoo and brush it out well afterward. I find baby powder unpleasant because it never seems to come out fully and leaves kind of a gritty residue, but if it works for you, I don't see any reason wh it wouldn't be ok with WO.

little_cherry
April 11th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Would a dry shampoo be breaking the wo/so guidelines?

countryhopper
April 12th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Would a dry shampoo be breaking the wo/so guidelines?

It depends how strict you want to be. Dry shampoo (I use cornstarch) just soaks up excess oil, so I don't think it would set you back any.