PDA

View Full Version : the challenges of being tall

jera
April 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm a little concerned lately about reaching my goal which is knee length and beyond because, at 5'7' I'm sort of tall. Not a giantess, but not vertically challenged for sure. My hair, at 36" has hit tailbone length which is where I'd planned to be by now. Problem - I have L-O-N-G legs !!! :o I'm concerned about how long it will take to reach my goal with this particular challenge confronting me.

Any other tallish members out there who can relate or advise?

loralie
April 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Congrats on Tailbone! :cheese:

Sigh.

I'm 5'10. I'm almost at APL. I have a looooong way to go... not only are my legs long but my torso is as well. I'm hoping for BSL this year and waist the next. Hoping!! :sad

Growing up I was always tall, always awkward, and my hair was crappy and short for a long time, which doesn't suit my face and my frame and I never had the conviction to grow it out. Not only because it would mean giving up on changing my hair every so often, but also because the height aspect is daunting... my torso and legs are so long it probably take me double the time to grow that it does for shorter people.

Someday I'd like to see if my hair would get past TB and yeah, it's a long way to knee for sure.

But I do love being tall... after all the crap I went through in school. I feel like my height keeps me confident, I can reach pretty much everything high up in my house (haha), and I've found it especially convenient while around drunk or obnoxious people (especially out and wearing heels - 3 inch heels = 6'1) because they have less to say when they have to yell it up into your face as you tower over them. :D

So, love your height because there's nothing you can do to change it, and love your hair because you can! It will grow.

In the meantime, put on a miniskirt, show off your long legs, and use the hem as your next mini-goal! :)

SheaLynne
April 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Another congrats on reaching TB! That is a huge milestone, and I wouldn't even worry about how long it takes to the ultimate goal. Enjoy the journey and having what anyone would consider really long hair. Many, many people never have hair that long in their lifetime!

That said...there are some perks to long(er) hair for taller folks. I know my thicker hair wasn't able to do most updos until hip length, which is about 32-33" on me. If I were shorter, I would have had to get to a marker much farther down before I could have even put it up well.

So, you'll have more length to work with, but longer arms to work it with! :cheese: Haha

I'm at 34" now and still have about 4 inches to true tb. I am about 5'7" also. My legs are definitely not short, but must not be as long as yours!

I say enjoy the journey. :D

Longlocks3
April 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm 5'7'' to 5'8''ish. I just got past classic(45 inches) and I have LONG thighs. It's going to take forever to get to knee.

invisiblebabe
April 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm a little concerned lately about reaching my goal which is knee length and beyond because, at 5'7' I'm sort of tall. Not a giantess, but not vertically challenged for sure. My hair, at 36" has hit tailbone length which is where I'd planned to be by now. Problem - I have L-O-N-G legs !!! :o I'm concerned about how long it will take to reach my goal with this particular challenge confronting me.

Any other tallish members out there who can relate or advise?

I'm 5'7" with long legs, too. :) Enjoy your height! I love being tallish and wish I were even taller!

Angela_Rose
April 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
5'9" and shooting for knee-length, which is 60" on me. I'm somewhere in the 47=48" range at thigh length. I have about another foot to grow, but I understand your woes!

peronella
April 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I can relate, I'm 5'10, My goal is not knee length ( I dont think I could handle it right now, but maybe I'll change my mind), my goal is roughly somewhere from waist to hip length, which is 36 inches, and my hair is pretty fragile, so I have this fear that i'll terminate super early or something. Even if I dont, Im lookin at a Looong wait from just past shoulder to hip.

The amount of time its going to take me to reach my goal kinda fries my brain so I try not to think about it and just concentrate on getting/keeping my hair healthy and growing out my self-inflicted funky front layers.

Its gonna be a journey. Journeys are good. enjoy your journey to knee! :)

rosek
April 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Im 5'9'' and I've just passed tailbone. You will get there! It just takes a while I guess...

jera
April 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I can relate, I'm 5'10, My goal is not knee length ( I dont think I could handle it right now, but maybe I'll change my mind), my goal is roughly somewhere from waist to hip length, which is 36 inches, and my hair is pretty fragile, so I have this fear that i'll terminate super early or something. Even if I dont, Im lookin at a Looong wait from just past shoulder to hip.

The amount of time its going to take me to reach my goal kinda fries my brain so I try not to think about it and just concentrate on getting/keeping my hair healthy and growing out my self-inflicted funky front layers.

Its gonna be a journey. Journeys are good. enjoy your journey to knee! :)

I do love being tall but it fries my brain too to think of the long journey ahead. I've seen many members here with super long hair but some of them seem to be on the short side. I just felt kind of alone.

Thanks for the advice. Usually I'm very focused and patient about this but it suddenly overwhelmed out of nowhere yesterday. I'll have to set mini goals along the way to alleviate the challenge. :p

DarthCynthia
April 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm around 5'10.5" or so and used to have hair mid-calf. It was a little thin from lack of trimming, stress, and frustration with products so I trimmed it back to mid-thigh and it looks great. It's still growing, too. I don't honestly know what I'll do at this point, I go back and forth from wanting a waist-length, totally styled haircut to wanting to grow it to my original goal of ankle length. I just put my hair up and ignore it as best I can.

BrightEyes7
April 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Ummm... I'm not tall by any means. I'm only 5'4" at best... And at 35" my hair is just at hip... Maybe my torso is super long or something!

Just thought I'd share that us shorties have issues too! :D

Capybara
April 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I've never really thought of this! :rolleyes:
I'm just under 5'9", though I have a short torso and long legs...should be beneficial while growing to classic :)

I say, embrace your height - short or tall - it's all good! :flower:

Little_Bird
April 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
If at 36 inches you are at tailbone I don't think you will have a problem in reaching your goal, even if your legs are long. My hair is at 42 inches and it's just a little past tailbone, and for a guy I'm not a giant either :p

Don't worry, just keep growing :D Congratulations on tailbone lenght and good luck reaching your goal!

jera
April 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm around 5'10.5" or so and used to have hair mid-calf. It was a little thin from lack of trimming, stress, and frustration with products so I trimmed it back to mid-thigh and it looks great. It's still growing, too. I don't honestly know what I'll do at this point, I go back and forth from wanting a waist-length, totally styled haircut to wanting to grow it to my original goal of ankle length. I just put my hair up and ignore it as best I can.

I'd love to see your hair at ankle length. I'm thinking of extending my goal to ankle but I don't want to get ahead of myself. :)

Olde Soul
April 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm 5'8" and I'm still at tailbone at 39". :( All my height's in my torso.

Belisarius
April 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM
You girls have it easy. I am 6'6'' so my goal of classic will take a long time.

Loviatar
April 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Congratulations on tailbone!

I sympathise - 36 inches is waist on me. :( Tailbone is 42. Even freaking BSL is 27!

cdmorefield
April 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm 5'9". Tailbone for me is 43" for me and knee is 57", I'm at 39" right not. I just try to wear my hair up a lot so when I finally do put it down I have a nice surprise.

Ksenia
April 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Oh how I wish I had this problem! I'm fairly short, but it's my legs where I lose height, my torso is actually quite long, so tailbone is 37". I guess from here on out it'll be easier to hit those milestones?

All I can say is, be thankful for your added height. Be glad you don't need to pull out a stepladder to reach stuff on the top shelf in your kitchen ;)

RavennaNight
April 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'm 5'10" and 32/33 is hip for me, TB is 37. My biggest annoyance for a while was that even though it measured long, it looked too short for me because of height. Now, at hip, my hair feels long.

trolleypup
April 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
5' 11"/180cm, terminal at mid thigh: 53"/135cm.

MsBubbles
April 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
It's good to see other people even taller than me here with long hair (TB+). I'm 5 ft 10 and always thought I could never grow my hair to waist length because of that! I can't believe I walked around for 40 years believing that!

I guess you won't know until you try, and see how far you get before you hit terminal. You will still have lovely long hair though, even if you hit terminal before knee.

Beesweet
April 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Six feet here. Been told that I don't look good in long hair my whole life. I am queen of the bob. Am ignoring it and letting it grow, but it seems so slow going that I will be happy at BSL, I think, which is probably waist to a shorter sister.

That will probably change when I get there.

Torrin Paige
April 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
All I can say is sing it, sister! I'm 6' even...tailbone for me was 44 inches (really long torso). My goal is also knee length which is 60 inches for me. My biggest problem is that just as I reach classic length, it starts looking all raggedy, so then I have to cut it back up. I'm hoping that I will one day reach my goal of knee length, but I'm willing to admit that it may never get there...at least not with the thick blunt ends that I prefer. We shall see. Try to be patient...that's what I'm doing. :)

Starfilly
April 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I really love being tall, and I kind of like that that means my hair has to be longer to reach a certain goal. It does take (a lot) longer, but I think it's pretty visually dramatic to see a tall person with long hair.

That said, I remember there was a member (wonderlywroughte?) on here several years ago with my same hair type who was exactly one foot shorter than me, and I really enjoyed looking at her hair pictures. Our hair was roughly the same length at the time, but it appeared to be much longer on her, so I could get a glimpse of what mine would look like on me in a couple years. Hair time machine, very handy!

jera
April 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM
It's good to see other people even taller than me here with long hair (TB+). I'm 5 ft 10 and always thought I could never grow my hair to waist length because of that! I can't believe I walked around for 40 years believing that!

I guess you won't know until you try, and see how far you get before you hit terminal. You will still have lovely long hair though, even if you hit terminal before knee.

Amazing the things we believe for no reason. I hope I don't hit terminal before knee length though. It's becoming an obsession for me now, but a positive one. The more progress I make the more hungry I get for more. :p

I really love being tall, and I kind of like that that means my hair has to be longer to reach a certain goal. It does take (a lot) longer, but I think it's pretty visually dramatic to see a tall person with long hair.

I think a tall person with long hair is more dramatic than a short person with long hair because it's more rare. In fact, I've never seen a really tall person with knee length hair. If I make it, I'll be the first. :)

Renbirde
April 13th, 2010, 01:48 AM
:) All I can give is hugs and sympathy. (I'm about 5'10" and so close to classic it's painful, at about 44". I think I must have a short torso... And long legs. Knee is going to take forever. D:)

elina333
April 13th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Im 5'7 as well and one thing I've noticed is that my BFFs hair is almost the same length as mine although she's at waist and Im barely BSL... She is much shorter than me and hence her hair looks so much longer! :hmm:

Nae
April 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, this is the stinky part of being tall, we have to be REALLY patient. My goal is about tailbone, which I figured out to be about 41/42 inches on me since I am 5'11, it may have to be a bit longer though cuz my hair is kinda wurly. *sighs* I am at 18 1/2 now, so a LONG way to go. :(

It will be totally cool once I get there though. I am so excited!

Sarahmoon
April 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm 5'7 (and not tall but average, since I'm Dutch :p) with rather long legs, but my goal is classic. I know I can reach that since I've been there before a few months ago.

I guess keep your hair as healthy as possible and ignore it for the rest is the best advice. When your hair reaches your goal, you'll know you don't just have long hair, but super long hair.

Hay22
April 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm right at 5'9" and my torso is so long. BSL for me is 27" and waist length is 34" so I have a lot of growing ahead of me. It's all good fun, though.

rapunzelna
April 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm almost 5'8" and I can't say the height is all in the legs or the torso...it seems pretty evenly spread out. LOL. Yes, the taller you the longer it seems to get to whatever goal length you have. But I look at the bright side...maybe my hair isn't to my knees, but it might actually be longer than knee length on a shorter person.

I don't mind being taller at all.

C.