PDA

View Full Version : Would you be sad if your significant other cut their hair?

venividibxtchy
April 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm curious how you all would feel if your significant other suddenly cut their long hair one day.

I love my other half any way he is -- and always find him attractive. And of course, it's his body and his hair, and he can have it how he likes. Not my call.

But beneath all of that, I have to admit, I'm sad...

It was so beautiful, and suited him so well, and I loved the fact that he always said he grew it out for me (and secretly liked the look at times). As lame as it sounds, I loved pampering him and rubbing conditioner in it now and again, and found his hair to be fiercely sexy and actually masculine, considering his beard/facial hair.

Worst of all, he decided to not only get rid of it, but to BUZZ IT. Couldn't he have left me SOMETHING to run my fingers through? Srsly, guys, srsly?

*whine whine whine*. Just had to complain to people who know how it is to get attached to hair. Even hair that's not your own, haha.

anrems
April 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I can sympathize a little. My fiancé sometimes lets his hair grow (only like 6 inches max, he keeps his hair short) because he knows I like it a bit longer, but then he'll randomly buzz it all off! :( I still love him either way, but I love having his hair a bit longer so I can touch it!

Juliannaissance
April 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I would be devastated. He's done it before... he had shoulder length and cut it above chin....:( If he does it again, oh well...I love his hair. It's light brown and curly.

NuclearMosquito
April 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
My DBF has hair nearly as long as I do, and it curls in cute little ringlets under his ears. He's threatening to cut it whenever he gets a job interview. I can understand the reasoning, but I will still miss it. I can't imagine if he did a buzz cut, I would be upset too!

venividibxtchy
April 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Glad I'm not the only one...

His was about APL, then he trimmed to a little shorter than collarbone, then BUZZED.

*Sniffling*.

ETA: And it was like 3A hair, so every beautiful ringlet was probably actually at BSL when straight.

Rivanariko
April 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
DBF had the nicest hair when we were in high school, but he's a soldier now, so he has no control over his hair. *sigh* I love him all the same, but I do miss his "fluffy" hair, and he admits that he does as well.

jera
April 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Bf has collar length hair, sometimes shoulder length. He had long hair when we met and I've got to admit, I was very attracted by that.
If he ever buzzed it off I'd have a heart attack. Too drastic. Little cuts I can handle. Buzzing is too much of a shock. I'd definitely mourn the loss. :(

Autumnberry
April 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I would be upset, too, as my dh has waist length, gorgeous honey-colored hair that is soft and sexy! It has been like this for two decades, and I always encourage him to keep it long :).

Drynwhyl
April 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm very attached to his hair, and I would be a bit sad. But I suppose I wouldn't really be devastated. If you asked me this a year or two ago I'd be much more upset. But I've since kind of changed my mind. I love long hair and I'm proud of mine, and his, but after all, it's just hair. I wouldn't be that upset even if I cut mine. :ponder:

halo_tightens
April 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It's happened twice.

The first time, we were very young, and he cut it off in hopes of improving his chances of finding a better job. It was very sad for both of us, and I was completely against the idea. I even cried a bit.

The second time, he was cutting off a long ponytail because he was getting ready to go off to the Army. It didn't make me sad at all... I felt nothing but pride. I still have that ponytail, with the upper end bundled in camouflage fabric to commemorate the event.

I guess it's all about context. :)

Captain Nikki
April 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
My ex had shoulder length, soft, straight hair & a very short beard when i met him & i was very attracted to that with his big, masculine other features. A couple of years later he buzzed it all off & kept it short & but grew his beard quite a bit longer. It made him look mean. Especially the short hair. I was dissappointed, not devastated though.

spidermom
April 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I doubt I'll ever have to find out; my DH keeps his hair 1-inch-long or shorter and has for most of our relationship. He tells me about the time before he met me when he had hair down to the middle of his back, but I've seen pictures, and it was barely APL.

GoddesJourney
April 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Mine will have to soon, but he promised to let me take pictures before he does it. I love him with or without hair. He promised he will grow it out again one day.

Katurday
April 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
My bf had shoulder length hair for a while. I liked it, then he got it cut. I don't care about male hair at all, so I enjoy it either way (just as long as he doesn't get it buzzed cause he looks a little trashy).

Themyst
April 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I know there are those who could really care less what their SO looks like, hair and all, and there are those who think YOU shouldn't care, either. I'm not with them ...

Hair is important to me and I do find it extremely sexy on men (but not to the extent of that nasty F word we all try to avoid around here!)

I was with a guy who had waist length hair years ago - and I know I would have been upset if he cut it. Like it or not, it was one of the reasons I was attracted to him to begin with. Yes, of course I fell for his personality later - but still, his hair made him. Well, I broke up with the guy anyway ...

My DH has mostly worn a flat top most of his life. He really doesn't look good with long hair - so I'm fine with this. He went and shaved it bald a couple of weeks ago. It upset my ds7 so much that he didn't even want to eat his dinner around him, "because Daddy's bald!" hee hee.

Oskimosa
April 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM
My DH's hair is dark brown, curly, and APL pulled straight. He tells me all the time he intends to cut it; mainly because he graduates in a month and will be looking for work. I'm not really sure that his line of work mandates short hair, but i understand his wanting to appear professional. I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts :shrug:

Aries_jb
April 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
For the most part, I'm happy if he's happy. However, lately he's been shaving his head and he has such gorgeous hair that it makes me just a teeny bit sad. He's not very consistent in keeping it up though, so I have a good time playing with the fuzz :).

Merewen
April 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
My DF is currently growing his hair out. I adore it and would be sad if he cut it, but I would be sadder if he didn't like it but kept it for me. (Although I do think part of the reason he likes it is because I play in it)

-simply Venus-
April 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I like guys with shorter hair better, so.. yeah >.< I hate it when guys cut off their nice like 1" hair to SUPER short, though!!

freckles
April 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
My boy used to have ~shirt collar length hair, which I really liked. It showed off his awesome wurls :D At least, when he didn't straighten it.

Now he keeps it a lot shorter, about 1.5 inches or so all over, and blowdries it straight(ish). I preferred it longer, but hey, it's his hair. He's still pretty :D

I did get a shock when I first saw it, though!

Flynn
April 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Yes. I would. He has the most gorgeous curls. I have to hassle him sometimes to get a trim (he's not at all gentle with his hair, and it gets quite rough and ratty on the ends), but I'd be sad if he went and cut it all off. It suits him so well, and I like playing with it. ^__^

I'd be sadder if he shaved, though.

ETA: I have to say, I care more about his hair than mine. I don't look at my own hair. >_o

little_acorn
April 12th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Yes I would be sad. DH has midback length spirals and ringlets in a mix of gold, honey and light brown and I think it is utterly gorgeous. But I would say that as I'm biased. I try and look after it for him by trimming it every so often and feeding it some coconut oil every now and again

Aditi
April 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I really depends if he can pull off long hair and his hair are to die for then i would be very upset about it.
Otherwise its his hair so its his wish to cut it or not :)

XcaliburGirl
April 12th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I love my husband's buzzed hair. :D It feels so awesome when it's first cut, like velvet. I wouldn't mind terribly if he decided to grow it a little longer, but I'd miss the super short.

I was disappointed when he shaved his goatee, though. He's got a boyish face and the goatee made him look very manly and a little tougher. It was reddish even though his hair is blond. He got sick of it though. Oh well, I'll live.

Joette
April 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Back in '97ish, my DH cut his BSL (at a best, guess. You know.) hair back to a more "traditional" length for work. I'm not sure which of us was more upset. That pony tail had a place of honor in our house for quite a long time afterwards. He's been maintaining at about collarbone length now for a few years; his hair is the same length as his beard if he pulls it over his shoulder. I don't know if he's going to let it go longer or not, but I certainly won't complain!

Kiraela
April 12th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I'd definately be sad if he cut it. He hasn't cut or even trimmed since the end of August, 2008, and it's still in nice condition. I think it flatters his features more, and I like the look of him with a ponytail better than the 1/4" buzz he used to keep. In the end, though, it's his hair to do with as he pleases, and I love him whether or not he has pretty hair! I think he's actually more attached to mine than I am to his, though. :)

myotislucifugus
April 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I might be bummed ( I loooooove his chocolate brown wavy hair)

but it is his choice.

Not that I will ever admit that to him.:eyebrows:

lesbia
April 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I would be very very sad, but i'd love him in every case. But this is not a problem because he don't want to cut his hair anymore, i'm so lucky!! :D

YesitsReal
April 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Lol...I love my DBF's thick coarse hair to get as long as he'll let it, which is about 2" at best. Every time he goes to get it cut, I get the urge to come after the poor barber with a hatchet. Not only because I like it longer, but because the barber cuts his bangs funny. How do you tell your SO that the barber cuts his hair weird? It doesn't bother me most of the time, but right after he gets it cut is when I notice it the most. I think he knows I get disappointed every time he goes to the barber. So much for trying to be supportive. :rolleyes:

nowxisxforever
April 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Yes, I'd be sad, either of them :( <3

Bethie
April 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I love DH's buzz cut, it tickles me when he rubs it against my skin. I would miss that if he grew his hair long, and the military doesn't like long hair. However I don't think I would care if he grew it out and then cut it off. He has gone through my many lengths and if it made him happy, I wouldn't be too upset.

nicolezoie
April 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
My husband had cury-ish mid-back hair back in the day (which must have been a sight to behold since he's 6'3"), but when mother nature saw fit to take that away, he decided to cut it short. When I first met him, it was to his shoulders, but shortly thereafter he cut it to a more "respectable" length. The sad thing was, with the type of male pattern baldness he had developed, if it wasn't trimmed right he looked like a lunatic, and he had to wear a hat more often than not, so in the end he got himself a set of clippers and closely crops what's left of his hair now. He does have the most velvety soft babyfine hair though, so it's not all bad. Truthfully though, I've got enough hair for the two of us, and he has told me several times now that I've got enough hair for me now too. :D

jasper
April 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Aw. sorry about that. very short hair is fun to pet too, though.:eyebrows:

rchorr
April 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Actually, my husband DID cut his hair. I still have his last ponytail. However, in his defense, he has male pattern baldness. He just thought no hair on top and long hair in the back was an awful looking hair style.

A funny aside to this ... he teaches piano out of our home. One of his younger students saw a wedding picture of us, and then asked him why he cut all the hair off the top of his head!!! I have to admit, I burst out laughing, and I think it kind of confused the kid! :silly: Have you ever explained male pattern baldness to a 7 year old? Hee, hee, hee.

RCHORR'

KBG
April 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ever time he's gearing up for a cut, I suggest that my dh grow his hair(type 1 dark blond/light brown) out. It's been super-short since we met. I've only seen photos of it longer (jaw length). No luck so far.

I think it would be nice as it's just starting to thin a little...a 'last hurrah' of sorts.. oh well, it's his noggin. lol.

KBG
April 13th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Actually, my husband DID cut his hair. I still have his last ponytail. However, in his defense, he has male pattern baldness. He just thought no hair on top and long hair in the back was an awful looking hair style.

A funny aside to this ... he teaches piano out of our home. One of his younger students saw a wedding picture of us, and then asked him why he cut all the hair off the top of his head!!! I have to admit, I burst out laughing, and I think it kind of confused the kid! :silly: Have you ever explained male pattern baldness to a 7 year old? Hee, hee, hee.

RCHORR'
:D that is hysterical..lolz!

walterSCAN
April 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm always a little sad when DF cuts his hair, considering how much I love it when it gets shaggy, but I know how much it bothers him once it starts getting in his ears... and of course, it's his head!

Besides, he's ridiculously attractive regardless of what his hair is doing... :eyebrows:

ETA--> All of that said, I would be pretty upset if he shaved it all away because completely bald kinda creeps me out... I think it has to do with the bald guys my mom was always dating when I was younger-- esp. the one who was my step-dad for a while! He was a really nice guy, but not someone I want to associate with DF, if that makes any sense...

Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have any desire to shave his head!

Vianka
April 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Not a problem for me since I like short neat hair on my man. I've dated men with long hair and I couldn't stand it.

Quixii
April 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I have no significant other, but I get sad when any of my friends cut their hair, and almost certainly would if said significant other cut his hair, especially because I find long hair on men very attractive. Obviously it wouldn't affect my over all feelings for the person, but I'd definitely be a little disappointed for a while.

orbiting
April 13th, 2010, 11:23 PM
To be honest... I don't know.

My fiance has hair to the middle of his back. I don't really *love* long hair on men (sorry), but his hair is so much apart of his personality. I think it would be weird.

(for the record, I also used to dislike facial hair but he has a full beard. One time he shaved it down to a goatee... I found it very uncomfortable... It weirded me out.)

bte
April 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
The question of other peoples' hair is always a difficult one. One the one hand, nobody has the right to dictate how others wear their hair, but that doesn't mean that we can't have an opinion as to what we think looks nice, and where appropriate to voice that opinion.

With a close relationship, it is more complex. You do things for those you love, and they do things for you. That can include hair length and style, and a sudden change from something you love to something you dislike from someone who knows how much you love a particular look inevitably feels like a form of rejection. Of course it's not your hair, but if your SO loved you enough to have hair as you liked it yesterday, then why not today? You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel that way at least a little bit.

So, yes, I would be disappointed, and a little saddened at the loss of something beautiful and worthwhile, in the same way I would be sad to see a plant wilt in the garden, but I would try and understand the reasons for the change and hope that one day the former situation would return.