PDA

View Full Version : Friend requesting help with fosterling's hair!

Marlitharn
April 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Wow, I've been gone a long time. Ok, I have a friend who's a foster parent, and she has a 22 month old whom she's been fostering since she was a day old (hopefully she'll be adopting her soon - she should have been available for adoption already AFAIC but that's a whole 'nother rant).

Anyway, Little Miss is bi-racial and her hair is baby fine and silky and curly as all get out. When she was a tiny baby there wasn't all that much of it to worry about, but now she's getting older she's got some serious frizz going on. We're talking Art Garfunkel after an unfortunate tasering incident here.

My friend took her to a hair salon that deals with curly hair and they sold her a ton of products that hasn't done a bit of good. So, knowing that I used to hang out over here, she asked me to ask you guys - What can she do about this child's wild hair? I've already suggested COing, less frequent washing (which unfortunately won't work very well because Little Miss gets VERY enthusiastic when she eats, and it's hard to get macaroni out of hair without washing it), and daily oiling, but no one listens to me. Mom's getting desperate, though, and neither one of us has any experience dealing with curly hair; what else can she do to un-Garfunkel baby girl's hair?

anneisanne
April 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Oil and moisture. I would recommend taking equal parts shea butter, coconut oil, and clear aloe gel, and adding a little bit of lavender essential oil to it. Put all of the ingredients in a glass jar and place it in hot water so that it all melts, and then stir it some as it solidifies so that it stays mixed in. Scrape a fingernail across it, and warm it up in your hands, then run it through her hair.

kittensoupnrice
April 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I really love this website! It makes me wish I had a curly-haired youngster, or had it myself. :)
http://tightlycurly.com/technique/tipsforlittleones/

christine1989
April 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
My hair used to be all frizz up until middle school and I tried EVERYTHING to get it to calm down. Unfortunatly nothing (except blow drying) would work. The good news is that I grew out of it and kids (especially young ones) often do the same. Her hair is still changing in thickness and texture. Most kids don't get "normal" adult hair until around 8-10 years so the best thing to do is to tough it out- her hair wont stay that way for long.

Marlitharn
April 12th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the help, guys! I think the issue we're running into is Mom and I are so used to dealing with our own hair that using the amount of conditioners that a curly needs seems like overkill - we'd end up looking like oil slicks if we tried it on us! I sent her that link kittensoupnrice posted; good info there, thanks! I've got some jojoba oil here I'm going to let her try, too, to see if that helps.

WyrdWay
April 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Aussi Moist conditioner is what my hair loves to be detangled with and I can even use it as a leave in. I have also been using glycerin based products to moisturize. I have very fine 3cish hair with some 2c on my crown.

Aussi moist is always crazy cheap at Wal*Mart and that's great when you are on a budget, it smells good and is SLS free. I also co-wash with it. Keeping her hair in cute braids or twists (rope braids) will keep her tangle free between washings, and a spray bottle with water in it will be a must!

I hope she manages to get her!