PDA

View Full Version : Would you grow out layers first or grow to goal first???

julliams
April 11th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking about this too much, I know, but....

I like layers on other people but on me, it just highlights the fact that my canopy is more course and wirey than the hair underneath. I think with some length, the canopy would tame and sit better just from the weight. Currently my shortest layers are below SL (definitely do not want to cut to there).

So, my waist is goal. Should I maintain at BSL until all the layers are cut out and then grow to goal (would add 6 months to a year to my ultimatel goal) or grow to goal and then maintain there until all layers are cut out.

I have included a pic of my hair as it normally looks rather than my siggy which is at it's curliest and I don't really wear it like that. The safety pin that you can see was where my hair was down to before my trim. The second pic shows more of a messy canopy and was taken 5 days later. Both are just air-dried and shows how different it can look depending on the weather.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4492895273_9290226a46.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/4510467380_20fa0367b5.jpg

Heavenly Locks
April 11th, 2010, 03:00 AM
It depends, what is your goal hemline?

julliams
April 11th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Hmmm - I'm thinking a U maybe? Or blunt. Not sure about that. Probably a U which I think I do have now. It's just the layers within the length from my shoulders down that bothers me. When I look at the photos I do think it looks nice but I guess I think my hair would be tamer and more like it is supposed to be without the layers. Does that make sense?

Mostly I'm sick of my hair looking like it's shoulder length from the front. That's probably my biggest issue with it.

inty
April 11th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Wow! I am totally in the same boat right now. A bit past shoulder at the front, a bit past APL at the back, unruly canopy... And it's annoying to have sl at the front, forgetting it's long at the back, and get it smacked between me and comp. chair... :(

Till recently I had an urge to cut to more blunt hemline. But that would mean to have SL hair again, and with shrinkage, end up at just below ears. I am past this urge finally :) I have decided just to let it grow as it wants, for now, and just maintain the ends in good shape - I don't have splits now luckily.

Your hair is awesome! I think, to me, it would look lovely with any shape/hemline.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
April 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I'm doing something inbetween, that is, cutting the layers every 6 months. I cut about one inch to finally get an even hemline. I hate the thinned ends on my hair, but it would be even worse to cut all the layered hair in one action :o

julliams
April 11th, 2010, 03:25 AM
inty - from your avatar I can see that we do have very similar hair. It is frustrating being short at the front and long at the back - like a elongated mullet - LOL

samarkan - That was my plan. I just trimmed about an inch and a half at the end of March and I was going to trim again in October. I just had a moment today where I thought of my other options and now I'm not sure.

Hiriel
April 11th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I think the layers look very nice on you!
But if you want to get rid of them, you could compromise between the two options you mentioned, and trim for example half your growth each month or something like that? That way you will still gain a little length in the time you're using to get rid of the layers.

Lassie
April 11th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Firstly i think your hair looks divine...layers or not...its has such a nice texture! I love the look of it as is....

I would vote for grow to goal then cut layers

The extra length is great with updo's

the way i see it, you wont gain anything by cutting now, you will only lose length...i dont see the point in lengthening the over all time it will take for you to get to goal (by maintaining at bsl till all layers are gone)

Lassie
April 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
ps...what is the bun in your avatar?

Lassie
April 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
its ok...i got it..
lazy bun...
:)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 11th, 2010, 03:57 AM
first off, your hair is gorgeous :)

back to the topic, i'll grow to my goal first, then start trimming. I might even grow longer till i have virgin hair at my goal and damaged layers at classic length. That way, reaching non-layered goal would be a chop away :)

just like Lassie said above: "you wont gain anything by cutting now, you will only lose length" which is very true :)

joiekimochi
April 11th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Grow to goal! At least you'll have longer hair for a longer time.

Aditi
April 11th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I like your hair :).......i would first off reach my goal length and then would make my layers grow till it even out.

julliams
April 11th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks everyone. That was my original plan so I will stick to it.

Lassie, yes it's a lazy wrap. It does look nice in that pic but I can never get the style to stay in for very long as my hair is just not long enough yet and now that I've had a small trim, the extra length I'm missing has made a difference.

Thanks again. It's nice to have opinions from others who have similar goals and understand what I'm trying to do.

Loreley
April 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I'm growing to goal first, too. My hair is layered because of damage caused by coloring (2 years ago). My ends are past classic but the shorter part is around hip length. I wait till I reach my goal and trim all the growth in every month then. I don't want to grow it longer (or I think that now and maybe I'll change my mind;)) so I'll trim it regulary and the layers will be as long as the rest of my hair. :face:
I would like to have an even straight hemline and thick ends.

Branwen
April 11th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I have the same problem and will probably do the middle thing - keep cutting a little bit of the longest layer until all the layers are the same, but in long intervals so I will still be gaining length.

I just wish it would grow faster. As it currently is, the shorter layers always fall out of updos, so I haven't been wearing a lot of updos, which in turn breeds damage and therefore slows down growth further ...

Purdy Bear
April 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I think it depends how patient you are. You can cut the layers but loose the length and the time taken to grow, but then everything will be at your wished for length.

What I would do was when I trimmed just take a little more of longer layers then the shorter ones and thus even it own gradually.

Me Im not patient, I want everything like yesterday, so that wouldnt work for me. Id have to grow length then equal them out, split ends permitting.

Tegaladwen
April 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'm around the same length as yourself. But I have fine straight hair. I've given my hair a 1/4 inch trim a week ago on both the ends and the ends of my layers. Now I'm just going to let it grow to my goal of waist (possibly hip) with maybe monthly dustings and then cut back a bit so it's all even with the layers. I would just keep an eye on the ends of your layers incase of split ends, if you can bear the layers that is :)
I love the colour of your hair by the way :)

xoxophelia
April 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I have the same problem with the front but I guess only time can fix that :)... My layers don't look so great, but yours look really good. My plan is to grow to about 30" or waist and maintain for a little while and then continue to goal. You can do a stop go method. Just maintain when it starts to bother you beyond belief lol

IndigoAsh
April 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I plan on reaching goal and than letting them grow out or get trimmed from there.

countryhopper
April 11th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I think you're hair looks gorgeous with the layers and length you have! I'd suggest to keep growing to goal, then slowly trim to get rid of the layers util they are gone.

I'm kind of in the same boat; I'm growing out from an angled bob, and the front layers are longer than the back. I was considering straightening the hemline up, but actually those couple of longer strands have made some new buns possible (YEAH!!), so I'm going to grow to goal and then trim... or maybe microtrim when the rest of the length gets to APL, not sure yet.

It's much more noticable on me because my hair is straight :(

chopandchange
April 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I have similar kind of hair to you (coarse, with annoying layers), and I, too, hate the layers and can't wait till they're gone.

I just trimmed 2 inches off the bottom layer. Much as I dislike the layers, I am not willing to cut up to the shortest layer and lose all that length. Maybe you could do that, too - it's a sort of compromise between two extremes!

Kristin
April 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. My subconscious solved the dilemma for me. I had a dream where I cut my hair to my shortest layer (a bit past shoulder) and was completely hysterical. When I woke up, I had to check and make sure it was all still there. Needless to say, I will be growing to goal and then maintaining while I grow out the layers. :)

Capybara
April 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
First off, your hair looks lovely! I am so envious of your waves :flower:

Second, I think that growing to goal first is s smart idea. When I had layers, I didn't trim the layers at all, just S&D. I only trimmed the hem of my hair, and it didn't take that long for the layers to grow out - a year, maybe.
Good luck!!

Debra83
April 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have shorter layers in the front too!!! (Plus I now have bangs again!!!), but my original plan was to grow to waist and then start trimming off the old dyed/pre LHC hair while maintaining waist. I'm still planning that even after all the time on here. I think it is more rewarding to reach goal and then deal with damage, than to deal with damage and then reach goal. I'm more of an instant gratification type person than I thought I was I guess. That being said, I do try to do microdusts every now and then. Once, I chopped about an inch off (crunchy ends) but was disappointed for awhile afterwards about the shorter length.

HintOfMint
April 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Your hair looks lovely, and I bet that it will look even lovelier as it grows out. The layers don't detract from your hair at all, in fact, it brings out your waves in a very pretty way. When it gets longer, then trim away the layers, perhaps in a U shape. If you got rid of the layers now, I don't think it will look as nice.

I'm in a similar situation. I have hair between BSL and waist, but my shortest layers are at APL. That will be the last time I request layers on a whim. I resist cutting by picturing future events (particularly those that require fancy dresses) and how nice my hair will look at its expected length. Generally the whole picture makes me forget all about my layers.

LaurenH
April 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Don't know what advise to give, but I just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous!! :)

Blandine
April 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I would do just like s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n: let it grow, and cut part of the growth off at regular intervals so that I still have a notable increase in length but piece by piece get rid of the layers. It will take the same amount of time to reach your goal, but it feels different. Apart from that, it will never be too short again for any hairstyles you can do now.

(Footnote to julliams - forgot to mention this on the mohawk thread: your hair is such a pretty mix of so many different colours! Amazing! Don't ever dye it...)

Vintagecoilylocks
June 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Revising this thread to get feed back on how every ones plan worked for us who are now in the same position. I am growing out layers from a five year big shedding experience and sometime wonder if I am hurting my hair with the layers or should I even them out. Is it really true that our hair is stronger in the theory of "safety in numbers". Do the layers really catch up with each other.

So how did your different plans work out after two years. Would love to hear from you.

Ocelan
June 12th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I would also like to know this as I'm battling the choice of cutting back to some unknown length from my now bit past hip length to get rid of layers or to grow to TBL first and maintain there until the layers are gone.

morrigan*
June 12th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Me three! Grow past waist and maintain there or cut back to above bsl ?

spidermom
June 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Just grow it.

jacqueline101
June 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'd grow and trim a little at a time like I did.

Magalo
June 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I'm doing half-half. I'm currently stopping at waist (goal is TBL) to grow out a couple of thick layers that are BSL. There's a lot more smaller layers from my shoulders up to my cheekbones, I'm not waiting for them! When I'll reach tailbone I'll maintain there (obviously) and they will catch the rest of my hair eventually.

cranberrymoonz
June 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
From time to time, you'll need to cut your ends anyway. I'd just let it grow and trim a little about twice a year. You'll get there.