PDA

View Full Version : Bangs: Keep them or not, and how much thickness do they steal?

NuclearMosquito
April 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I have medium-thick bangs cut in my hair. It's at the point where I need a trim, and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the bangs or grow them out. I feel like my face is very round and the bangs help balance it out, but bangs to me are so hot during summer, not to mention the thickness they take up. And I'd like someone to objectively tell me if the bangs look good or bad with my face. :)

Speaking of thickness, I am trying to figure out how much to add to my ponytail measurement to get my third hair type. My pony measures at 3 1/2", but I know some of my hair is sucked out of that measurement by the bangs. Do you think they would add half an inch and bump me up to iii, or would I still be ii? Here's a picture for reference (sorry for the cheesiness, it's the most recent I have):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/NuclearMosquito/24996_362415183461_507978461_371471.jpg

I welcome any and all opinions, and thanks in advance! :flower:

Stephichan
April 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Before I get started, *ahem* Daaaww.... :D

Anyway, wow, I love your haircolor!

Okay, seriously, onto the topic at hand. I think you look lovely with bangs. I also think that you might see an improvement if you tried them side swept or as a complete fringe (basically, not parted in the middle). In the summer, you could try pulling them off your forehead with headbands or cute clipies if you're worried about getting too hot. As for the circumference, I don't think them out would bump you up to iii. Bangs/fringe can be misleading that way.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll turn out all right ^_^

sneakybea
April 10th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I do think that the bangs flatter you (that picture is adorable!), but I know how hot they can be in the summer time. Maybe you could get a wide fabric headband to keep them off your face? You could also use the headband to see how would look without bangs, if you haven't seen yourself with that look before. I also think that, if you decide to grow out the bangs, face-framing layers can flatter a rounder face.

As far as the thickness goes; I'm not sure what the answer is. My bangs aren't as full as yours, and when I cut them, my circumference changed by either 1/4 of an inch or not at all. What I mean by that is, I never get consistent measurements of my thickness so it's hard to tell. I don't know if you could measure the circumference of just the bangs, if that would tell you anything?

Good luck making up your mind!

pinchbeck
April 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
It might be an idea to add a photo of yourself with your hair off of your forehead for comparison. But, if they're uncomfortable growing them out might be an idea or simply clipping them back with barrettes might give you some relief during the hotter months.

GoddesJourney
April 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Bangs look nice on you and I'm pretty sure they would hardly add any measurably difference to your circumference. That was a good point about trying different kinds of bangs if you like, but these are flattering on you if you don't. They way I bumped up from a ii to a ii/iii was to start cutting down on the things that were making me shed. I was losing a lot of hair to heavy constant shedding. Sulfates, cones, and hot water make me shed the most. The other thing that gets me is if I play with hairstyles. I always get a whole bunch of hair in my brush after all of that excessive handling, pulling, and inevitable detangling. That said, I changed up my hair care routine and before I knew it, I was at four inches. Cool.

My advice to you would be to keep your bangs however you like them and look into other possible reasons you may not be at your full circumference potential. Expect it to take a few months before you start to notice any increase in volume from new growth, and up to a year for at least most of it to reach your ponytail for measuring. Good luck. By the way, the picture is not cheesy, it's cute and happy. We all love to be loved...

Lemur_Catta
April 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Bangs look very nice on you, and your hair color is lovely :D Actually, all your colors are lovely. I love your skin tone, and your eye color!
On the other hand, summer is approaching, and I have always hated having bangs during summer :( They get so hot, and so sweaty...I would try to grow them out to about chin length, and keep them as face framing layers. They would look lovely on you, and if you don't like them you can always cut them back into bangs.

jasper
April 11th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I've wondered the same thing about whether my bangs were taking away from the volume of my hair as measured by pony tail circumference. I've worn bangs all my life, though barring an attempt to grow them out in 4th or 5th grade.

My own conclusion is that they might add something to the circumference of a pony tail or the size of a bun, but probably not by much. And, when worn down, the volume of my hair is not going to look significantly increased because the hair from bangs would hang at the sides of my hemline. That could make my hem look wider but not thicker.

moominhapa
April 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I like the bangs! And I love the color too. I second the suggestion to try sweeping them to the side rather than parting in the middle though. As for how much thickness they take away, I can tell you that mine take about 1/8 of an inch. I just got my bangs cut in this week and I measured before and after. It's only a very slight difference.

NuclearMosquito
April 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the kind words, everyone! I am definitely leaning towards keeping them. The reason they're parted in the above picture is because they've grown out, and if I combed them straight down they'd be in my eyes. They need to be trimmed.

I may let them grow and try sideswept bangs though. I think that could be a good look. And I will try the clips/headband suggestions this summer! For some reason my forehead gets very sweaty, and that should help.

spidermom
April 11th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I always thought that bangs don't work with my round face because they make it look even shorter and fatter. I had face-framing fringe for awhile, and it reduced my circumference by at least 1/2-inch. I've grown that out in the last couple of years.

I think the side-swept fringe will be more flattering on you than straight-across bangs.

faeflame
April 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
If you want to know what your ponytail would be if you grew out your bangs you might want to try this if your hair is long enough. Just bend over and make a ponytail including your bangs at your forehead instead of your nape and measure that. I've done that with my bangs and to be honest, they add less than 1/4", no biggie. HTH.

Capybara
April 11th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Awh, what an adorable picture!

I'm in the same stage as you, trying to decide whether to keep the bangs or not :o I feel strange without bangs, but want to know what I'd *look* like without them.

I think you look very cute with the bangs! You could always pin them back/style them differently and see if you like them better linger, shorter, sideswept, wispy, etc. The cool thing about bangs is that they don't take as long as the rest of your hair to get to a manageable length if you decide you don't want them anymore :)

Bonkers57
April 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think you look good as you are. Like some others have said, when it gets too hot, just headband them or clip them back.

When it gets hot I plan to do the high ponytail and glue any stray hairs with aloe vera gel.

lesbia
April 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
In my opinion on a ronde face could be very nice blunt hair parting in the middle :)

x0h_bother
April 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I think the side-swept fringe will be more flattering on you than straight-across bangs.
I agree with spidermom, and I also think that they would look really pretty as side-bangs and longer than you have them now. In addition, you can add "thickness" to the rest of your hair by growing out the back half of your bangs that are closer to your crown, so just thin out the thickness and let the rest grow. I've done that, reduced the amount of bang I've had, and it worked out better for me. GL!

heidihug
April 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I have the same shape face as you, and I have wavered between keeping bangs and growing them out. I think (think) I have achieved the happy medium - I have grown out my bangs to about an inch below my eyebrows. That way, I can pull them back into a high bun or pony-based bun (or in a barrette) with ease, but still have the sideswept fringe look to fall back on - which I find more flattering to my face.

Thinner bangs, though, do not flatter me at all - the last time I cut my bangs I pulled even more forward and trimmed it off, and am much happier for it. Even though I have thin and relatively fine hair, a heavier bang looks much better on me. Here's a pic to help you visualize...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=69218