PDA

View Full Version : What makes your hair grow faster?

7meggie
April 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
So far, I've been pretty obsessed with stuff that makes my hair grow faster. I have decided all of these different methods need to be compiled into a big list. Please post what you have/ were planning on taking or putting into your hair to make it grow faster. (If there already is a thread on this, please point me in the right direction.) I know quiet a lot of things actually make your hair grow. It would be nice to know how much your take/put on/use too. (If I am putting this in the wrong spot please tell me.)

Heavenly Locks
April 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Patience. :)

I take vitamins, but it's been for a few months so not long enough to really tell if they are doing anything significant. The best things you can do for your hair are be gentle with it to avoid damage and breakage.

I sleep with it protected with a silk wrap or a satin pillowcase. I wash it as infrequently as it allows. I am gentle with it when I comb and I wear it up often. I oil occasionally with olive oil and I avoid things like heat styling and chemicals. Noting fancy for me really.

Stephichan
April 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
There's not much you can really do to speed up hair growth. For the most part, it is what it is. However, there are things you can do to meet the maximum rate that you as an individual naturally have:

-Eat a good diet. I know, seems obvious, and for some people (for instance, college students like me) it's hard. Little changes though, can have an impact. For example, instead of those tasty french fries, get some fresh fruit. Instead of ice cream, try frozen yogurt with fruit toppings. Dying for some chocolate? Skip the Snickers or Milky Ways and grab some dark chocolate.
-Fluids. I can't stress this enough. It doesn't have to be just water, but get yourself hydrated.
-Exercise. If you're not moving, your body won't want to be replacing what it has protecting it (i.e., skin, hair and nails). You don't have to start running for 2 hours everyday, but start taking stairs more than elevators and whenever it's possible (or safe) take a longer route to get someplace when you're walking.
-Sleep. Another biggie. Give your body some down time to go through some of its major life processes.
-Don't trim excessively. Stylists say trim every 6-8 weeks, but that's if you want to maintain a style you want. If you want to see growth, go longer in between. Or, get 'dusting' trims (exactly what it sounds like. The trim is so small that it looks like dust on the ground instead of hair).
-Protect it! Your hair won't look like it's growing if it's always snapping off halfway up the shaft.

Finally, the biggest tip I have is patience. Just put it up and forget about it. Pretty soon, you won't know where all that length came from. For help, there's the 'Wear hair up for x-amount-of-time challenge'. A lot of members here practice benign neglect, you can find plenty of information about it.

I hope that helped. Good luck and happy growing!

Cirafly24
April 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I started taking fish oil, biotin, and MSM about 3 weeks ago, in addition to my daily multivitamin. When I measured my hair last Monday, I had 1/2 inch of growth. When I measured again today, I had another 1/2 inch. That's a full inch in 3 weeks! I'm pretty impressed, and I hope it will stay at that rate. :)

jera
April 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I started taking fish oil, biotin, and MSM about 3 weeks ago, in addition to my daily multivitamin. When I measured my hair last Monday, I had 1/2 inch of growth. When I measured again today, I had another 1/2 inch. That's a full inch in 3 weeks! I'm pretty impressed, and I hope it will stay at that rate. :)

I agree with the biotin and MSM. It does help hair to grow. I use castor oil too, both massaged into my scalp and worked into my ends to keep them hydrated. :)

countryhopper
April 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I'm focusing mainly on diet (with foods naturally high in biotin and such). I eat mostly homemade and fresh foods/veggies, not a lot of processed, chemical laden, convenience foods. Even if it doesn't help a lot, it's helping other parts of my body.

Also, I'm wearing updos everyday (partly because of the heat!) and it seems to be protecting the length well.

I'm just oiling the very tips of my hair, since it's the only part that seems to absorb the oil. So far, so good. I haven't seen a split in ages...

I recently have been putting a satin slip over my pillow to prevent nighttime breakage, and we'll see how that goes!

jackiesjottings
April 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Cold weather! Don't know why but mine grows faster in winter. Thinking of moving to Antartica ;)

redneckprincess
April 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
PAITENCE, taking picture to compaire, BIOTIN...

I do other things but those are my biggest 3 and in that order...

Aeren
April 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Time... Like you I have been looking for stuff that makes hair grow faster but nothing is really effective. As Stephichan said, what you can do is to avoid slowing down your hair growth!

Foxy_Booker
September 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Well according to my anatomy class when the body gets colder your thyroid gland increases your metabolism so all the processes in your body become faster in order to keep you warm. One of the processes that increases is hair growth just by default.

On the flip side, when you're cold all your blood flows deeper in the body to keep you vital organs warm so blood leaves the surface of the skin and ample circulation is needed for quality hair growth seeing as its got all the nutrients.

Orangerthanred
September 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Massaging the scalp daily stimulates growth, I think...

But to be honest, none of the smelly hair pills, special foods, or massages do anything to me. My hair will grow at it's own speed- which is really, really slow.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I hair grows faster when I quit putting things on it or touching it.

MissAlyssa
September 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Your hair will pretty much grow at whatever rate it can no matter what you do to it, the best things to do are eat healthy and drink a lot of water. And make sure you get all your vitamins. Although I've been doing this and my growth has slowed to about 1 centmeter per month :( But I think it's just a stall or something. But my nails have been peeling a lot too, so I might change my multivitamin or something...

Yame
September 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Castor oil appears to have doubled my growth. I am tracking my experiment with it on my blog if you want to take a look.

julierockhead
September 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Start out with a healthy diet, multivitamin, and daily walks.

Try one thing at a time or you won't know what is promoting the growth. Castor oil seems to be working for some people here very well.

JDzWife
September 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Okay.. you ladies are going to think I am absolutely off my rocker.. but I am telling you this works, at least for me.

My name is JDzWife and I am a Twizzler Addict. One bag of Twizzler's filled twists and two days later.. and it's like I can see my hair growing right before my eyes. My nails seem to grow much faster than normal.

Years ago my mother would eat gelatin right from the box explaining to me that it makes her nails and hair grow. I thought she was crazy, lol.

Stephanie
September 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
MSM, Biotin, a good whole foods multi vitamin, plenty of water, plenty of protein and fat.

battles
September 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
MSM and rooibos rinses. The rooibos really helps for me.

Anje
September 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Trips to Germany.

At least, I experienced an incredible growth spurt when I went, about 12 years ago now. I have yet to see whether this is repeatable.

KwaveT
September 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I sleep on a satin sheet set and pillowcase. I take 1000 Mg MSM in morning and another 300 pill in evening for 1300 Mg. I take a B Complex supplement, Niacin supplement, Zinc supplement, and a Silica supplement. I also drink lots of water. I have done this for a long time since I have constipation problems. I now use tangle teezer and boar bristle brush to detangle and massage the scalp. I am going to measure Saturday to see what my length is and do it at first of month thereafter. I have notice that MSM is affecting my nails(growing fast and are almost rock hard) after two weeks so a sprout in hair growth can't be far behind.

Brotherewolf
September 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Old thread but interesting so I'll jump in...
proteins and fat including saturated fats, dairy foods like milk and cheese are awesome
one of the signs of malnutrition or diet imbalance is hair loss, brittle bones and loss of muscle mass... usually it's common on low fat dieters or some vegan/vegetarians who are lacking amino acids and some vitamins.. it's also true that men and women are slightly different , there are many other factors including genetics

Brotherewolf
September 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Your hair will pretty much grow at whatever rate it can no matter what you do to it, the best things to do are eat healthy and drink a lot of water. And make sure you get all your vitamins. Although I've been doing this and my growth has slowed to about 1 centmeter per month :( But I think it's just a stall or something. But my nails have been peeling a lot too, so I might change my multivitamin or something...

It's not just vitamins you might need some fats .. try fish oil
too many people think eating healthy means eating no fats or not enough

I don't know if it's your case though :)