PDA

View Full Version : Lightening my hair. So many options...

Kristin
April 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I am sick of dark, dark hair. I colored my hair black last year and loved it. Then I was sick of it. My aunt is a pro stylist and lightened it VERY slightly. I have since then continues to use Natural Instincts dark brown. To most people, my hair looks black. (But not to me ;).) I want my natural, medium brown shade back. I would also like it a little red. I've tried henndigo and, since it does not lighten, my length stays the same, my roots look reddish, and my grays are flat out red.

I need to lighten to get the color I want. Here are my options:

1. Continue trying the honey lightening method. I've tried it twice and it lightened a teensy bit, but I'm pretty sure I would have to do this practically every day for a month to get the result I want. even then it might not work. I would then henna over it.

2. Chemically lighten. I could either try it myself since I only want to go about 1-1/2 shade lighter, or I could have it professionally done by my aunt. I don't worry too much about color damage, but I do worry about getting crazy colors as I would be coloring over henndigo.

3. Grow out. This is not really an option for me as I will lose my mind. Just putting it 'cause I'm sure someone will mention it.

What do you all think? If you suggest i do it myself, please also recommend a box dye as I am not familiar with many permanent dyes (though I have used them a few times in the past). Thanks!

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Given you are not worried about chemical damage i say get your aunt to do it, playing about yourself with previously coloured hair isn't a good idea unless you know alot about how chemical colouring works, the pigments involved etc. Your aunt will be in a better position to help you i think and also avoid a disaster that needs to be fixed.

BelleBot
April 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I don't how you got you hair dark, but have you tried using something like Colorfix or color oops? A lot of people find it fantastic for removing old chemical dyes. It won't make a difference to any henna/indigo in your hair, but it could lift some of the old chemical colour molecules, might be worth a try, it's less damaging than using bleach.

manderly
April 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I too was going to suggest the colorfix/color oops route. It will remove the old chemical dye from your hair and let you re-dye lighter.

DEFINITELY do a strand test, however, since I have no idea how it would react to hendigo.

Domino
April 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I just wanted to say that if the colorfix doesn't work--go the chemical route. I know it won't be the best, but at least it would be better than you being sick of your hair. I know what that feels like.
Good luck :o

ademtce
April 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
please don't use a box it will destroy your hair. get your aunt to do it.
how much hendigo did you use? i hear most people when to trying to lift it get really unlovely shades of green.

Kristin
April 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
how much hendigo did you use? i hear most people when to trying to lift it get really unlovely shades of green.

I hendigoed twice. Once with a combo of Rainbow dark brown and auburn. Once with LUSH Caca brun. I am very concerned about going green and have already started another thread on the topic.

For now I am sticking with natural methods like honey lightening.

Wouldn't the Colorfix/ColorOops make me go green too, then? Those (obviously) contain peroxide as well. Could I just color over it and alleviate the problem?

xoxophelia
April 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Your color might fade a little with time.. what I am doing is letting mine grow to a point while it fades and I will probably at some point get it corrected so that A)it is less damaging and B) they can match my roots better.

If you want to do it now though, I agree that you should see a professional (or do a strand test first you never know)