PDA

View Full Version : air-drying question for curlies!

LilyLu
April 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
hello!

I've been air drying my hair instead of using my diffuser lately and I've noticed that I'm not getting much volume at the crown anymore. Any suggestions for getting more volume on top?

here is my routine:
wash with Lush's trichomania solid shampoo for curly hair
Terax conditioner
leave in conditioner
herbal essences -curls mousse
john frieda -curl enhancer spray
scrunch
air dry

thanks for the help!

Athena's Owl
April 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Some people will clip their hair to stand up at the crown. I wash my hair at night, put my products in up-side down, wick up some of the moisture with a cotton t-shirt, and then sleep with it all straight and draped over my pillow (I dont' have a headboard on my bed and the head of my bed isn't against a wall.) When I wake up, my hair is almost dry, cruchy as heck, and lots of crown volume. When it's dry I scrunch out my gel crunch and it's good.

PhillyGirl1978@
April 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I air dry and now that it is as long as it is it's a bit heavier so it can get flat if I'm not careful. I plop
and scrunch little upside down. You know but the towel on the bed and let your hair hang over upside down. I kind of hold it there for a few seconds. Or sometimes a micro-fiber turbi-twist thing helps lots with volume it dries my hair pretty quick. I leave quite a bit of conditioner in to help with control, so I would probably put my conditioner in, put my moisturizing stuff on the ends, spritz my spray gel a little the use the turbi thing while I get mostly dry. I would de-plop and spritz a little more. That always helps me get full bouncy ringlets.

Merewen
April 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I second clipping. I get flat roots sometimes plopping as well. I just take some beak clippy kind of things and clip my hair so that the roots are a little more poofy and let it dry, then remove the clips. You might be able to find some more about it on naturallycurly.com. I think there are some people over there who clip.

Speckla
April 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Dampen your roots a bit and do an overnight pineapple - ponytail high on top of your head. All you have to do it let it down in the morning and run a bit of product through the length. Good root volume.

Kaijah
April 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rinse your conditioner out upside down in the shower
Scrunch/apply product upside down
Try folding and then clipping up the roots
Headbang until dry
Or, if you have time to lay around the house try supporting the weight of your hair on a pillow/throw it over the back of a chair so it isn't pulling straight down

DulceCandy
April 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Ok..
my mom is a hair dresser and she stands by NOT putting spray in curly hair (a. cause spray causes breakage and b. flakes) she says if you HAVE to use anything use one of the more pommade creamy products or mousse but NOT alot. Also gel is a NO NO.
I always suggest air drying.
But sometimes for volume I do leave in conditioner, some cream for curlies.
then air dry
then put in the mouse upside down, scrunch and there ya go.
also for volume I def like puttin the hair up but u have to be careful cuz my hair takes the shape of what I put it in very quickly and sometimes if I do it with a rubber band the frnt is straighter then the ends aaand i get rubberband markings.

Cheeks1206
April 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
This is my daily routine:

wash/wet hair
apply leave-in
flip head upside down and apply product
plop hair with a flour sack towel

After the first towel gets saturated I like to do a second plop with a new towel to speed up my drying time, but I don't always have enough time for it. I haven't had an issue with volume since I've been doing this routine.

BattahZ
April 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I was at night, twist my curls into about six really big spirals, plop into a curlease towel, and sleep like that. In the morning I clip up my roots while I do my makeup/run around getting ready, then remove them as I'm going out the door (so they're in for around 10 minutes), and boom, root volume.

Last week I tried using the teeny tiny little claw clips that match my hair color to clip my roots up a bit more discreetly, and I left the clips in til I got to work (around an hour commute). I had awesome root volume then.

Cheeks1206
April 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Some people will clip their hair to stand up at the crown. I wash my hair at night, put my products in up-side down, wick up some of the moisture with a cotton t-shirt, and then sleep with it all straight and draped over my pillow (I dont' have a headboard on my bed and the head of my bed isn't against a wall.) When I wake up, my hair is almost dry, cruchy as heck, and lots of crown volume. When it's dry I scrunch out my gel crunch and it's good.

My hair is definitely WAY curlier when I let it air dry while sleeping! If this is something that will work for you, I think you should really think about giving it a try. Unfortunately, I'm not aback sleeper, so this isn't something I can do.

DulceCandy
April 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
My hair def gets more curly but not as much volume when I sleep in it. But i wish my curls had less volume.. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=145458&l=745e36f476&id=1834804177
I think my hair is way to big and the longer it gets the more volume!! I wish I had more of a lengthy curl. I am going to try some of these techniques tho.

walterSCAN
April 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM
My hair def gets more curly but not as much volume when I sleep in it. But i wish my curls had less volume.. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=145458&l=745e36f476&id=1834804177
I think my hair is way to big and the longer it gets the more volume!! I wish I had more of a lengthy curl. I am going to try some of these techniques tho.

I know it's probably really annoying to you, but WOW do I love your curls... !!

Twil
April 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM
While my hair drys, I periodically just put my hands in my hair by the crown, and shaking my hand slightly side to side, move my hand upward. I do this anywhere its flat. It works for me. :shrug:

Athena's Owl
April 11th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Ok..
if you HAVE to use anything use one of the more pommade creamy products or mousse but NOT alot. Also gel is a NO NO.

Er, what reason does your mother give for this product choices on curly hair? Because it runs exactly the opposite of what DevaChan and Ouidad do, and they're pretty much top of the heap when it comes to care for curly hair.

According to the curlygirl method, arguably the most popular approach to curly hair care in North America, mousse is usually avoided because it contains drying ingredients like denatured alchohol and propane, and while there isn't a lot, any amount is running counter to the "curls need moisture" philosophy behind curly girl.

As for gel, it depends on the type because some of them have denatured alchohol in them too - again to speed the drying time. But curly hair compatible gels with the right hold ingredients have earned their spot on my styling products shelf, because the results are amazing.

As for dosage - a little goes a long way with my curl creme (boots! OMG) but i use a lot of gel. I use probably about 3 quarter sized doses to cover it all. but since I'm getting to the point where my hair is past tailbone and creeping up on classic, I'm not too fussed about how much gel i'm using.

BattahZ
April 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I've always used gels too, and I don't get split ends or any other types of damage associated with drying (unless I heat-style regularly). I think gels are fine as long as you stick to varieties with low or no alcohol content.

Chamomile betty
April 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
The diffuser does give me more volume also. I used it this Winter when it was very cold outside and I got up very early for work. Other than that I really don't care to use it.
I clip the sides of my hair back after I scrunch in the morning. I'll run around and do chores and put my make up on. This will give me a little more volume than if I let it dry flat.
I just use two med size plastic clips.

hth