PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hair Advice... please!

starlights
April 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Its slowly turning summer over here.... and I was wondering if i should lightly oil my ends (if I leave my hair down)to prevent breakage/splits?

or should I not oil that much, since I dont tend to get dry itchy scalp during summer?

I'm not sure of what hair routine to follow as Ive never had long hair in the summer, now my hairs at waist I need a little advice from my long haired friends here :cool: :D

Dreams_in_Pink
April 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Many people say summer's the ideal season to use solid coconut oil on hair, since it solidifies in winter temperatures.

Blandine
April 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I would try, and see how it feels and how the hair behaves. You will very soon see if it is happy with some oil or not. A few drops on the ends cannot do much harm and won't make all your head greasy.

embee
April 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'd suggest, since summer tends to be hot, study making updo styles to keep the hair off your neck and back, and out of any suntan oil or sunscreen. Also wear a hat, to protect your scalp, your hair, your ears, your face, your neck - you *really* don't want to become an old lady with skin cancer!

As for leaving hair down, I'd only do that for special occasions in air-conditioned spaces, but maybe it's cooler where you live. :)

Capybara
April 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
It's important, with any length of hair, to protect the scalp area during the summer months, as (because it doesn't tan as much as the rest of the body) it is more susceptible to sun damage. I'd suggest using sunscreen/pinning hair over your part to protect it, then wearing a bandana over your hairstyle. Bandanas look great with twin braids, IMO :) Sun has caused damage on my hair in the past (I'm not an ethnicity suited to my climate, but I've learned to live with it.) Even protecting the ends, like tucking them into a bun, can really help.

If you swim regularly, I'd also suggest protecting your hair from the chlorine (if in a pool) or salt water (if in the ocean) or fresh water (if in a pond/lake.) Conditioning or oiling before swimming has really helped my hair in the summer.

Also, if it's windy, I'd suggest putting your hair up. Wind can cause the most awful tangles:eek:

The most important thing, though, is to enjoy your hair. It's really not that much work, all things considering. Congratulations on getting to waist :)