PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my henna mix conditioning?

Katurday
April 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Every time I henna, I am left with extremely dry hair for a good while. I don't use an acidic mix at all. I was wondering what I could mix in to my henna mix to make it slightly more moisturizing without compromising the henna color, or if you had recommendations for an after treatment to regain moisture.

little_cherry
April 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi,

I find the adding a little oil to my henna mix helps keep my hair moisturised.

I've heard that washing out the henna with conditioner and oiling straight after can make a whole lot of difference in how the hair feels afterwards. Some people even use a very mild shampoo then condition their henna out without compromising the colour. The henna adds temporary resins to the hair which makes hair feels a little dry afterwards.

AmericanWoman
April 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I CO out my henna after rinsing, rinsing and rinsing again. I think most dry-feeling hair atributed to henna is mostly due to not rinsing all the mud out. My hair is never dry after henna.

saskia_madding
April 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
My hair always feels dry after henna, I hate it. I usually just condition afterwards with a realy moisturizing conditioner and the next day so an SMT. Or just add a tiny bit of conditioner to the henna mix immediately before applying it. But I think does compromise the colour *a bit*.

Olde Soul
April 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I cut my henna 50/50 with plain yogurt and that helps (though the henna I use has a really strong dye). I also CO to get it all out.

Debra83
April 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I just did mine 2 nights ago, and today I was thinking I'm feeling a little dry. I'm going to add cat nip into the mix next time, and a little olive oil or something.

little_cherry
April 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I just did mine 2 nights ago, and today I was thinking I'm feeling a little dry. I'm going to add cat nip into the mix next time, and a little olive oil or something.

I was thinking of adding catnip to my henna until Ktani pointed out that the henna may actually prevent the catnip from conditioning the hair because henna leaves a temporary resin coating on the hair that cannot be penetrated but can be removed by shampoo/clarifying.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45657&highlight=catnip+henna

Athena's Owl
April 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I notice that you say your hair is medium/coarse in texture, and henna *is* a deep protein treatment as well as a colouring method. Coarse hair doesn't need additional protein, as it's already got plenty.

your best bet is to buy a bottle of inexpensive conditioner like suave and vo5 and use that to wash the henna out, rinsing and washing repeatedly to get it all out. a nice SMT or other deep conditioning treatment right after would probably help too.

Heidi_234
April 10th, 2010, 03:56 AM
For me, it really helps to shampoo out the henna (and use conditioner before and after shampooing). The theory is that it's the resin in the henna that makes hair dry, so if you find a successful method for removing it, no post-henna dryness guaranteed. I use an SLS free shampoo, and otherwise I don't even dare to touch shampoos - my hair and scalp are way to dry for that.

BelleBot
April 10th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I've not had any problems with henna being drying. Though in the past my mixtures have had cocoa butter in, and my last mixture (yesterday :p) I added a splash of olive oil and a bit of honey. I also wash out the henna with lots of cheap conditioner.

CrisDee
April 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
To prevent that dryness, I first rinse, rinse, rinse with plain water, then put large blobs of Queen Helene cholesterol on. I let that sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse that like crazy as well. I then use gobs of cheap conditioner (VO5, Suave) to CO wash. That's eliminated the problem for me :)

redneckprincess
April 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I mix my henna with conditioner...but it may affect color a bit I dont know... you could test it

Stephichan
April 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I mix my henna with a ton of conditioner. The last time I did it I added about 4 types of condish (because some were running out, some were too thin and some too thick. I was trying to get just the right consistency). I also add some sweet almond oil to my mix and apply the whole thing to damp hair. When I rinse out I make sure to do a CO. I've never experienced any dry feelings.

Domino
April 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I find that conditioner thins out my henna resulting in a lighter stain. I prefer using a few globs of thick yogurt. This also makes it easier to apply and rinse out, and doesn't affect the color at all(at least on this head :)).

RocketDog
April 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I have never experienced post-henna dryness, and all I do is use a few globs of cheap conditioner (Tresemme last time, new bottle is Suave 'smoothing' and it does contain dimethiconol, dunno if that makes it a no-go for no-coners) when I'm working the mud out of my hair in the shower. My hair is always poofy, shiny and soft when it dries.

FWIW, my mix is Jamila henna, chamomile tea and clove powder, applied to dry hair and kept on overnight under cling wrap and a cheap beanie.