PDA

View Full Version : How many splits do you get in a month?

Domino
April 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone :)
I have done a s&d last week, getting rid of all splits but today I saw two more. That made me wonder, how many splits do you consider normal, and how often do you get splits?
Tia :pumpkin:

Messyhair
April 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
At this length (around shoulder), I don't get any. They won't start showing up until BSL or so. But I used to do S&D just about every day. I'd find some every time - that's when my hair was at waist. I don't wear my hair up a lot, though. Just when working/going to school, but any other time I leave it down. I don't think I ever counted the number of splits I found.

jera
April 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm at tailbone right now and haven't had a split end in several months. I do use oil ( castor ) on my ends. :D

Carolyn
April 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
My hair has always been split prone. I'd guess I get hundreds in a month. It's something I've always lived with. S & D is my friend.

ZaBasDa
April 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
It's been a year since I had my hair trimmed at all and I'm just now starting to find a few splits here and there.

pinchbeck
April 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I find no matter how many large cuts I do my hair always ends up with the same amount of splits six months later as there were before the cut. The longer it gets the more splits there are. I could easily get obsessive about it, but work hard not to. They are ugly when looked at closely and probably add to my hair tangle challenges.

Although I oil frequently it doesn't help. People have said that catnip rinses help prevent splits. But for my hair there probably are no solutions. I guess I just have to accept this is how my hair is and will be. Drat!

little_cherry
April 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
To tell you the truth, I haven't been noticing any splits!

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hahahahahahaha! Right, like I can count that high! I'm growing out damage so they just keep coming and coming.

xoxophelia
April 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have a V shaped hemline and have had an inch taken off of the bottom tip in over the past year and one dusting recently. I did my first S&D when I came here and went through carefully in each section and found about 10 since then. So you could say on average once a month, but it could be more frequent once as my hair gets longer.

PS- my hair is quite damaged and I have done way too much to it, I am just "lucky" that my hair doesn't split easily.

spidermom
April 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I get splits all the time. I find them every time I look. I would never count them; it would be depressing!

I estimate that 49 out of every 50 hairs is good; what do I care if one is bad? (too much, but I'm trying)

vampodrama
April 10th, 2010, 01:36 AM
My hair splits like it's its job. Depressing, but what can you do?

Loreley
April 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I don't know, I get them all the time. Probably a lot. :(

freckles
April 10th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I'm with the others who say they could never count. I S&D and find many many. If I get them all, it seems like there are still hundreds within a week. I'm not rehabilitating damage from bleach or anything either, so I guess it's just my hairtype. Upsetting, though :(

Noctifer
April 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I dont count but they are way to many.

Finoriel
April 10th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I have no idea, never payed attention to how they get more.
I´m not even sure if I could say how many splits I have to begin with and I do not have many. Leave alone making a guess about the difference in their number from one month to the other. With all the hair on our heads it´s not really possible to know if they are really actually in fact new ones or if those just got overlooked while S&Ding the last time. So I guess I prefer to relax and stay blissfully uneducated about how speedy splits multiply themselves on my head :wink:

Heavenly Locks
April 10th, 2010, 03:56 AM
If I sit down and do S&D I guarantee I will find 10-20 splits. :) I do that about once a week or so.

elina333
April 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Ooohh I have lots of them. But I S&D on a regular basis so Im not to freaked out about it. The fact that I've bleached my hair for years (highlights) actually makes me thankful that I dont find more :D

Anlbe
April 10th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I try to find a hundred split ends each day, so about 3000 a month. Most of the time there are lots more that's just where I stop because a hundred a day seems to keep them vaguely under control. Sometimes I sulk and don't do it for a couple of days but they I'll make it up afterwards.

09robiha
April 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
oh i get splits all the time, however not so much since i stared using coconut oil everyday but I just think my hair is damage prone tbh.

Blandine
April 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I do not want to know the number. That would be too depressing.

ChrissieM
April 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have fine, split prone hair. It's just a fact of life for me. I find a few every time I look at my hair. However, I remember when I was young and before I used chemical dye that I never had any. Maybe when I cut off all the previously dyed part of my hair then I will stop getting them.

Ravenne
April 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'll S&D every day or every two days and I usually find anywhere between 5-15 depending on how much of my hair I go through. I don't usually go through it all in on sitting though since I just whip out the scissors for ten minutes before bed.

ravenreed
April 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
My hair has always been split happy, even when it was virgin hair and much shorter. If I do a S & D, the next day I could probably find another 10 -15 splits or fairy knots, at least. These days it is not so bad as it used to be because I also aggressively trim hairs that are bent or crimped, thickened on the ends, or have white dots. So I have less than I used to, but I have widened my S & D criteria.

camillacamilla
April 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I have splits all the time, as I heat style my hair. I have stick straight hair on the top of my head, and deep s-waves everywhere else. I HAVE to heat style or my hair looks bad. I don't worry about the split ends, because I do regular S&D's and am not planning on growing my hair any longer than it is- waist length.

superficial
April 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I find many many splits every time I look.. I guess it's because of all the bleaches and dyes my hair has been going tru

Beansidhe
April 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I couldn't keep count if I tried. Sometimes, it seems like almost all of them are split! I S&D constantly, but it's really depressing. I'm growing out over-dyed, heat styled major damage. My hair is fine and was prone to splitting even when it was virgin hair. No more dye for me! Oiling and protective styling does seem to help, since the ends are so fragile. In my case I know a big chop is needed to get rid of the really abused stuff, but I just can't bring myself to do it. :(

Capybara
April 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
It depends. Some days, I can't find any split hairs. Some days, it seems like I can't find any hairs that aren't split! :rolleyes:

Chromis
April 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I get loads of splits and generally snip a few out every morning. Just seems to come with my hair. I don't use heat on it and treat it gently, but splits are just what it does.

SHELIAANN1969
April 11th, 2010, 08:25 AM
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ......... hahaha

I could spend 2 hours trimming splits and still see some the next time I have bright light.

I wouldn't dare count, it would be too depressing. I did tell hubs one day I must have cut a couple hundred hairs, but if I have a couple hundred thousand, it isn't as bad as it seems.

kateeg
April 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
My hair ends up completely shredded by the end of the week, to be honest, but that's mostly due to the horrible abuse I subjected it to a year ago- bleach, bleach, dye dye dye dye etc... :oops:

Samitra
April 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Pre-LHC I got hundreds of splits every month... but back then I didn't really care, since I went for a cut every 8th week. Now I only find twenty or so (maybe less) between trims, and I trim twice a year. On the other hand, I get a lot of kinks and knots instead, but they usually just break off and disappears.

I did find a split end today though, but that was on one of my arm hairs :D

ETA: Oh, and I have hundreds of white dots, but I forgot about them, since they rarely develop to splits I rarely give them any thought nowadays. (there was a time when I freaked out over white dots, but I'm wiser now :) )

lapushka
April 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It's been a year since I had my hair trimmed at all and I'm just now starting to find a few splits here and there.

Same experience here. I began to notice breakage and splits after about a year of no trimming and started having trims a bit more regularly from then on. I still have splits and some breakage here and there. Suppose it can't be helped.

xovictoryxo
April 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
i have tons of splits i could never count. ugh

BelleBot
April 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Lots...
In a month I'll get hundreds, but then again my hair has been through a lot over the years and it's impossible to get all the splits so I imagine a lot are pre-existing.

PadmeAmidala
April 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Too many...

I S&D once a week, I find about 100 split ends every time.

But a few weeks ago, it was worse, back then I found about 150.

Melisande
April 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM
None. I haven't seen a split hair in ages. I keep my hair up at nearly all times, and I oil it well or use Fox' sheabutter. Seems to help.