PDA

View Full Version : Moisture, Protein, and now Frizz.

PHOENIX MOON
April 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hey All,
I have a query... again.
I understand that words like 'hydrating', 'moisturising', or 'for dry/damaged hair' usually indicate high moisture within the products. I also understand that words like 'anti-breakage', 'designed for long hair', or 'for brittle hair'/'minimising breakage when styling' usually indicate high protein within the products. (For the most part anyway!)
However, what does 'smoothing', 'anti-frizz'/'frizz reducing' indicate, and how does the 'anti-frizz' part of the product work.

My understanding of the words, feel free to correct me!
Moisture -enters the cuticle and tends to add elasticity.
Protein -coats the cuticle and tends to add strength.

halo_tightens
April 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
However, what does 'smoothing', 'anti-frizz'/'frizz reducing' indicate, and how does the 'anti-frizz' part of the product work.

It seems to me that these are often products containing silicones, which do help with frizz by coating and glossing the hair shafts.

I don't know much about the science of it all... This is just what I've noticed in real-life product shopping.

spidermom
April 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I agree with halo tightens - anti-frizz generally means silicones. They don't work that well at controlling frizz for me, though.

SlightlySoprano
April 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I agree with both comments above. Anti Frizz = Silicones. Although for my hair, Silicones make it frizzier because they dry my hair out!