PDA

View Full Version : Timeline and why I've been gone soooo long

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been gone from this place for a long time, quite a few months. And even though I'm on here all the time i havent posted because..well...I was too embarassed :(

But I miss everyone and I wanted to come back because I really need the support and I wanted to update you on what has been happening.

So why was I too embarassed to post? Well the last time I posted I had bleached my hair out from dark brown to a light orange which I loved.

Shown here
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/ggggg.jpg
I had not cut my hair in 6 months and wasn't planning too. But for my own sanity, I decided it was best to cut off the dead ends and even out my hair to having no layers at all. So I had a blunt thick hem and was ready to grow...

Shown here (excuse the housecoat...it was christmas morning hehe)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/fjj.jpg

And then, I completly destoryed all of my hard work and had kind of a crazy moment.

I had just gotten a new very good job and decided that I would look more professional If I cut it all off...I work with all people double my age and I felt that because I couldnt put my hair in a ponytail (it always gives me a headache), and it just got looking too stringy and icky during the day, that if I cut it, I would look a little older and it would be easier.

Shown here *hides and cries* It is insanly short!! The back is even shorter :(

This was last week, I was growing my roots out which you can see but I was so depressed by the shortness of it I decided to dye the entire head a nice light auburn (which I dont have a photo of now but Ill post one when I get home)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/25358_374496755913_501835913_376238.jpg

Now, I liked it at first...but because I no longer really wear makeup and I hate using styling products (I hate making my hair feel gunky!), I look like a boy. I hate it now, so so much, I despise it. Its been one month since I cut it and I am growing it back again :cry: I seriously feel like crap everytime I look in the mirror and there is no fixing it, I just have to wait it out. Its like I lost all my confidence and good feelings for myself, I dont know what to do to feel better. The colour change helped, I love my red hair, but pretty soon I'll be going through the dreaded mullet stages of growing out a pixie and what not.

So theres my story, thats why I've been too embarassed, you all just have such gorgeous hair, I didnt want you to know I failed. If anyone has grown out a pixie and can offer some encouragment it would help a ton....I'm hoping that with all my supplements it wont take too long to at least get to my chin :(

EDIT >> Here is my hair as of now, the way I normally wear it and the current chemical colour
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/Photo1056.jpg

On the up side...I got a puppy. Shes is a very small chihuahua names Penny, she lights up my depressing days (this was right before I dyed it auburn)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/23658_373069460913_501835913_372578.jpg

Toadstool
April 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM
So sorry you hate your hair because it actually makes you look insanely beautiful!

PF Graham
April 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
You're an amazingly beautiful women - long or short!

If anybody says otherwise, they'll have to answer to me!

But you gotta get rid of the little white rat in your arms - seriously, that thing scares me. (kidding).

marikamt
April 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome back!

Just think... you can grow out (almost) virgin hair!!! Now you know you like red, you can henna if you want to ... there are some positives.... you also may not be tempted to cut again.

Love your puppy, I have a chi too :)

phistash
April 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I don't think it looks bad at all, so cheer up! I had my head shaved for several years, and truly hated the growing out phase-I'd say I hated my hair until it got to shoulder length, but that is mainly because of personal preference. I'm an all or nothing girl.

My best advice is to play around with scarves/headbands/earrings/necklaces--anything that you can't really see when you have longer hair, and get your haircut evened out every once in a while to avoid the mullet of doom. If you can do the trims yourself, all the better, otherwise find a very trusted hairstylist and impress on them the importance of only cutting what is necessary.

I sacrificed several inches of growth a couple of years ago in order to get a style that I knew would grow out nicely.

Good luck!

cmnt831
April 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I grew out a pixie a few years ago and used barrettes, headbands, scarves, etc. I found a stylist that I trusted and told her I was trying to grow it into a bob and she trimmed it up for me when I needed it. She taught me how to flip out the short layers to give it a change from being flat , too.

Anyway, I think you look very pretty with your hair short as well as longer. :) Your little chi is sooooo sweet! I have two myself and they're just great little dogs. :D

melrose1985
April 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Welcome back!

You pull off a pixie like no body's business!!! you look fantastic! Growing does stink but soemtimes we need this to help us remember why are are going our hair out. I did the same thing and had to cut it off in a bob... that last time really stuck with me.

that last picture of you and your doggie is super cute!!

Sunny_side_up
April 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
You have a very pretty face and delicate features that handle that cut well, whilst growing out your hair like previously mentioned play around with accessories, hairbands & clips etc. Love your lil doggie!! Such a cutie:)

pennyroyal
April 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
you look like Mia Farrow! (which i consider to be a good thing!) You really do look amazing with a pixie~lots better than i do! i feel your pain tho, as i am in the growing out a pixie stage & it sucks. :(We can help each other get through this together tho! :)
oh, & your puppy is adorable & i love her name!

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Aw thank you so much everyone. I've been trying to find things that make me not hate it as much, I will try the scarf idea, and maybe get some girly clips to pin back my fringe as it grows...at least this way my fringe will always be as long as my ends...I always had a hard time growing it out with longer hair.

And thank you for the kind comments, it really helps.

princessp
April 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I love pixie on some people, and you are one of those people who can really pull it off. Very cute.

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I love pixie on some people, and you are one of those people who can really pull it off. Very cute.

Thank you so much.

And as for henna, I would love to do henna instead of red dye, I'm just nervous because I like a very light red that isnt too orange, and I know that henna darkens the more you put on, I would be afraid it would be too clownish on me or would become to dark.

chopandchange
April 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Don't be too sad!

On the downside, you've cut your hair short and it's making you sad, but on the plus side, this whole experience has made you realise just how important it is to you to have long hair. You thought you didn't care about cutting it short, and now you realise that you do.

Maybe next time you are tempted, remembering how sad you became might give you determination enough to stick it out and grow rather than cut.

Loreley
April 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cheer up! You look really pretty with short hair, too! And you're growing virgin and healthy hair now. :bunny:
Your puppy is very cute! :D

Speckla
April 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Very very pretty. You're young...enjoy being able to wear different lengths and colors and having hair that grows fast. :)

Honey39
April 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I have to say, you look fabulous with your hair like that - I would almost say (if this weren't a long-haired site!) that you could keep it like that because you look so beautiful!!!

But you can enjoy growing, it's good to try lots of styles

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
aw, thank you so much. All of the support and nice comments are really helping me feel better today :)

renarok
April 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I am going to chime in here and agree that you really rock the pixie. I think it suits your fey features.

Bethie
April 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
you look like Mia Farrow! (which i consider to be a good thing!)

I was just thinking that too!

Anywho, I think you look beautiful with short or long hair. Thankfully headbands are back in style so you can rock that for a while, especially during those awkward stages (I'm there now). Happy Growing and welcome back.

spidermom
April 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Oh my goodness but you look beautiful with short hair. No really - you do.

I'm sorry that you're so unhappy with it. I know the feeling. I actually look pretty good in short hair, too, but every time that I cut it, I wanted to grow it out again within the first few months. Then I'd let it grow for maybe a year or two, at which point I'd get really frustrated and upset because "I've been growing my hair for YEARS, and it still isn't long." So I'd get it cut again. Ack! I really didn't acquire the patience to just let it grow and grow until I was in my mid-40s.

So try not to despair. You look terrific, and you have a lot of lengths and styling options to look forward to on your way to long hair. Try to have fun with it and enjoy all the stages as much as possible, or at least perfect the art of doing something with it, then forgetting it and getting on with your day. The less you obsess, the faster time passes. I know that's easier said than done, but really - it works.

Topaz
April 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Maddy, you couldn't look like a boy if you tried. Your features are so fine and delicate, and so very pretty, and the pixie cut is absolutely gorgeous on you. Look at Halle Berry and her pixie cut --- and she's considered one of the most beautiful women on the world. I think you look fantastic! So don't despair --- enjoy the pixie while it lasts, and then enjoy your journey into longer and longer lengths. Remember, there are no mistakes in life, only learning experiences.

By the way, your puppy is adorable. I have two little minpins myself. They're my heart.

Unzadi
April 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Count me as another who thinks your pixie looks fabulous. Enjoy what you've got now, and the steps along the way to what you eventually want. You couldn't look like a boy if you tried.

share801
April 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
You do NOT look like a boy! You look very delicate and feminine! Aside from the suggestions above, I'd say if you want to FEEL more "girly" try some new jewelry or makeup/clothes as well. I had to cut back to BSL recently and although it looks "better" without the damge I "feel" un-feminine as well so can understand what you are going through. New earrings are helping me! :)

Sheltie_Momma
April 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Maddy - we missed you! I can't comment on the pics, I'm at work and can't view them. I guess they want me to work and not look at hair pictures, bah! Anyways I'll check them out over the weekend but you are so pretty I can't imagine it looks anything but fabulous!

oceanwoman111
April 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You are absolutely stunning!!! I think the cut really accentuates your beautiful eyes.
Play around with it and have fun because it will be back down to your shoulders in no time. :agree:

adiapalic
April 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Um. Your short hair is extremely gorgeous on you. :flower: And you just hush about failing--nobody here can fail! People here just do what makes them happy with their hair and love to talk about their routines and growth stages and just hair in general. :)

I'm sorry your current hairstyle doesn't make you happy, but you look beautiful with long or short hair. :o

BTW, Your little pup is precious!

Unofficial_Rose
April 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Actually I think the short hair is better, because it shows your beautiful bone structure and eyes. LHC heresy, I know.

(I'm not someone who generally thinks short hair is best!)

Sara_1987
April 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Aww. I'm sorry you don't like it!
but you actually look very good with hair that short. Not a lot of people can pull that look off....god knows I tried it...TWICE even! And it was horrible and I looked absolutely terrible.
you have such a beautiful face with fine (as in delicate) features so you can definitely work that length!
My face is not "elegant" enough (features aren't as fine as yours) so it looked terrible.

So yea, just wanted you to know you really shouldn't feel too bad because you look very pretty! But I know how it feels to just hate your haircut. Good luck on growing it out again! You will look lovely whatever haircut you have!

georgia_peach
April 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
You look AMAZING with a pixie cut!

But I also hear what you said. You want long hair and feel bad about the dye and damage. Well, hang in there, because with your fabulous features, I know you will be able to grow to whatever length you desire with total grace and beauty. Enjoy this journey. If you decide you totally love long hair, then you will never get to be this length again. Glad you are back!

SpinDance
April 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I agree with the other comments, you pull of short perfectly. I understand about not liking it short, though, and that isn't a failure. It's a learning experience! When I was in high school I had my mid-back length hair cut short and also hated it. I don't like my hair in my face, but I learned that I want it to be long enough I can pull it around and see it!

Enjoy your growth journey. You've not got lots of damage or problems to deal with so it will be much easier than it might have been.

I suggest that you get lots of pictures as you go through various lengths, too! I didn't do that, and I sort of regret it.

jaine
April 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wow I really like the short hair too! It looks very striking, especially with the color changes and dark roots.

If you don't like the feel of styling products in your hair, I wonder if you would like this max green alchemy gel (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Sculpting-Gel--MGASCU.html) as much as I do ... After it dries, when I comb it out, it feels like nothing it in my hair, it just leaves my hair feeling super-smooth and soft. :) I don't like having the feel of something in my hair either, but I can tolerate the crunchy feeling since it's just temporary until it's dry. And it's very natural ingredients with no weird chemicals and no skin irritants ... that's a plus.

missjessiecakes
April 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I am so glad to see you back :grouphug: I missed you.

As for henna Nightshade's copper mix might be what you are looking for. Mostly cassia tiny bit of henna. Copper penny colored.

It looks nice and I agree that you could never look like a boy.

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Thank you all so much, all of the nice things everyone is saying is making me remember why I loved this place so much, I really missed everyone so much. You are all so sweet I could just cry, really makes me feel good about myself. Thank you all so much for the courage and advice, you are angels.

Also I added an edit in my original post adding in my current hair with the chemical dye :) I know I want to stay red after seeing my natural colour grow out...but I am not sure if Im brave enough to do henna yet, Im thinking on it ;)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/Photo1056.jpg

Demetrue
April 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, the upside of this experience is that 1. you are very pretty and still look great/feminine with short hair, SO, all you have to do now is sit back and let it grow. and 2. you've realized that you are still a long hair at heart, so probably won't be as tempted to cut again once it gets past shoulder, and 3. your hair should be even healthier as it grows out now that you've only colored it once. If you can either henna, or keep the dye only on the roots, you should be able to grow out very healthy shiny looking red hair.

Mae
April 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
nobody here can fail!

I agree with this!

I also agree with everyone who has said you look very pretty and look great with a pixie in a way only a small amount of people can.

Alas, I was not one of those people! :D I had a pixie about four years ago. I really did look like a boy. Headbands were my savior during the growing out process. Don't worry too much about the mullet of doom, I was able to get away with only cutting just the very most mullet-y part of my hair at the nape, and leaving the rest alone. Also, be assured that hair reaches "girly looking" in a surprisingly short amount of time, especially if you don't cut your bangs.

I recommend watching Sabrina or Roman Holiday (both with Audrey Hepburn) for some pixie love.

Happy growing!

xovictoryxo
April 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
You are so gorgeous and have the prettiest face which really pull off a pixie. good for you now you can have a fresh start and baby your hair!!

Quixii
April 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I was wondering what ever happened to you! Glad to see you back. <3

As a side note, you look absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry you don't like your hair, but the colour looks great and you seem able to pull of short or long. I wish you luck on the growing out journey, but I hope you take some confidence because you're so, so pretty. :o

kelly-j
April 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM
First of all I have to say that your look great in that hair cut. It really suits you, and the color is very flattering as well.
Welcome back, no need to feel embaressed :flower:

Tap Dancer
April 10th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I'm sorry you don't like your hair. :( Back in August 2007, I cut my hair short and I hated it right away. My face looks too "masculine," IMO, when my hair is short. Because of that, I won't go shorter than a chin length bob again. I'm tempted to cut sometimes because there are so many cute short hairstyles, but then I remind myself how harsh I'll look.

But, honestly, I don't think you look bad. It'll grow quickly. :flower:

Mrs Sgardelis
April 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
You have such a beautiful face, the 'pixie' really suits you! Just think of how much healthier your hair will be now as it grows!!

justgreen
April 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think you are beautiful with that haircut, not that you weren't beautiful before, but your face structure just grabs that hair style and screams "look how gorgeous we are"!

Beansidhe
April 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
You look GREAT with a short haircut! Not a lot of people can pull it off so well, you don't look at all boyish. It really does look cute and pixie-esque on you! The light auburn color is stunning! :)

Branwen
April 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM
You look nothing like a boy.
Like others have said, you're actually very pretty - your looks are kind of elfish, and somehow you remind me a bit of Amelie :)

It's a pity I can't show you pics from when I had mine that short and shorter( I started growing them again from a length of about an inch and a half) as a comparison - they still stood around in all directions even when they reached four inches, making me look like a male anime character^^

TinaDenali
April 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
WOW! The short cut looks STUNNING on you! You do pixie very, very well! You've got the perfect face for it. I love the cut and the color, it's all great.

And the dog is just SO cute!!

Pumpkin
April 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Let me say that I have been where you are. Believe me, your hair will grow. You are a beautiful woman with short hair or long. We all here on this forum are here to support each other. Welcome back!! Hugs!!

ericthegreat
April 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Maddy, you are just a beautiful girl period. Whether or not you decide to keep your hair short or once again grow it out longer, you will always be beautiful. :flower:

You have a gorgeous face. You can definitely pull off a super short pixie, as well as shoulder length or even longer hair. Welcome back :heartbeat.

bumblebums
April 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I agree with everyone else--you have a perfect face for a short cut, which is pretty rare. Also, age 22 is just right for experimenting with color and different lengths. Get it out of your system--it is better to regret something you did do than to regret something you didn't do :)