PDA

View Full Version : Terminal support

Minx
March 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Ladies and Gents,

I think I have reached my terminal length.
I joined LHC last April. My length on joining was 32". I am currently at 33".
I have only grown 1" in almost a year.

I think I'm in denial. I want classic or thigh length so bad.

I remember reading that hair can go through resting periods, shedding periods and growth periods. Could I just be in a resting period?

Has anyone thought they hit their terminal length and then after a month or so continued to grow?

And if you have hit your terminal length, were you upset at all? Maybe a little disappointed that you can grow any further?

Please share your experiences.

Blueneko
March 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
This is where I offer support:

You can do it!
Don't give up!
Hope for the best!
Stay strong!
Be patient!

I am a short-hair compared to you, but if you do not mind just waiting (you had no thoughts on cutting anyway) then just pamper your locks and wait it out.

Oh, and photos!!! :)

Ohio Sky
March 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It may be that your hair requires something to get past this stage that its not getting. Have you tried switching around your diet and vitamins? My hair hits this once in a while, its almost like it gets bored with the nutrients it gets and wants something new.

spidermom
March 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sometimes we cut our hair so much that we create an artificially short terminal length. Think about it, if your hair were left completely alone, it might grow to - for example - 50 inches. But if you've cut it many times, perhaps it will only grow to 30 before it sheds out. Then a new hair starts over at 0. So think about it: you have a lot of newer hairs that have never been cut. If you take very good care of them, you may have to cut nothing or very little off the ends. The full length potential is likely to be much longer. So if you stall but still want long hair, wait it out. Eventually those hairs that are shorter now will be your longest hairs, and they may be very long hairs indeed.

zift
March 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hey you grew an inch so that's not terminal. Maybe you're just a slow grower like Kleis. I think she grew like 2" a year but look she has this jaw-dropping mid-thigh hair now. So there's hope my friend. Not necessarily though it could be that your hair is splitting and breaking off at the ends and it slows the growth,is it in good shape?

Dianyla
March 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't claim terminal length until your hair has been at the exact same length, with no trims, for at least a year. Growth can stall for a variety of reasons.

You may be at an artificially short terminal length right now because of something in your haircare or hair handling practices, or possibly if you are growing out damaged (dyed, bleached, chemically processed, heat treated, etc) hairs.

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Are you completely babying those ends, wearing your hair up all the time.....making sure you don'tput any extra wear and tear on your length at all?

Some people think they are at terminal for months or even years but then realise that it was because of something like wearing hair down alot etc and that their artificial terminal length was caused by breakage.

I also agree with the diet/nutrition suggestion.....or maybe starting something like regular scalp massages might kick start some growth.

Minx
March 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Well, if I'm completely honest, once I realised that I wasn't gaining length (around September time) I probably stopped caring for my hair as much.

I also moved in with my folks (after living with my BF for about 2 years!!) for about 4 or 5 months so the changes in lifestyle, diet and general routine probably didn't help. I guess it was pretty stressful too.

I'm still settling in my new place and getting my routine back. My ends are split, more than is normal for me. I can't seem to find an up-do that completely protects my ends. I've taken to wearing braids in bed but I think my ends are suffering for it.

I was seriously considering a trim, maybe a couple of inches, to try and remove the damage that's there now.

Is this a good idea or should I just try to do a massive S&D session?

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Awwww yeah, well....personally i'd just try to keep them up and out the way and smother them in oil or something and do my best to keep them away from harm. Stressfull times can play havok on the hair. Cutting might make you feel worse.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Anje
March 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It could definitely be a resting phase. My hair took a LONG time to make it the two inches from BSL to waist. Probably about a year, though a lot of that was before I came here. I was seriously concerned I might be nearing terminal. My mom's hair doesn't grow much past her shoulders (care might have something to do with that, I couldn't say), and my dad doesn't have hair, so I figured genetics were working against me. The condition of my hair wasn't bad, then or now.

Now my hair is happily making its way toward my "vertical smile" and the thickness isn't bad at my hemline. Give your hair time and take care of it. It might yet surprise you.

ETA: Oh, and if you can, try not securing your braids when you go to bed. They'll open up a little, but I think it's good to avoid elastics on them when you can. Moistening the ends can help. (Unfortunately, the lack of a colorful tie at the end apparently does not discourage my cat, who was munching my ends this morning. Time to find the sleep cap again.)

Guenever
March 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Just a thought:
If you're afraid that your ends are damaged due to your sleep braid maybe a sleep cinnabun could be a possibility? If it's not too tight and your ends are tugged in carefully they'll feel good in the morning :)

I was tired of always lying on my braid during the night - and in the morning my ends would be all weird - so I started doing a high bun with a fork and 2 small jaw clips, in stead.. I got a massive headache the first time because I gathered the hair on top while bending forward with my head in downward position. I guess that all the hairs were turned out of their natural direction.. it hurt so bad.. so don't do that! :wink:
In stead I just do it the same way I make regular buns - and place it higher of course..
It really works for me!

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I use a high sleep bun most nights, too. I like it because it gives lovely, smoothed out waves the next morning.

squiggyflop
March 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Just a thought:
If you're afraid that your ends are damaged due to your sleep braid maybe a sleep cinnabun could be a possibility? If it's not too tight and your ends are tugged in carefully they'll feel good in the morning :)

I was tired of always lying on my braid during the night - and in the morning my ends would be all weird - so I started doing a high bun with a fork and 2 small jaw clips, in stead.. I got a massive headache the first time because I gathered the hair on top while bending forward with my head in downward position. I guess that all the hairs were turned out of their natural direction.. it hurt so bad.. so don't do that! :wink:
In stead I just do it the same way I make regular buns - and place it higher of course..
It really works for me!
how do you wear a fork to bed?!?! i would go with a satin scrunchy... i cant wear hard things in my hair to bed but then again i have nightmares very often so i move alot at night. i wore my hair in a high pony last night and woke up with the hairtie gone... perhaps a silk satin pillowcase?

frizzinator
March 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Everyone has given wonderful advice.

My hair is 31 inches long, thin, fine and fragile. Regarding sleeping, I also use a silk pillowcase. And I use a very short stick, 4.5 inches, to hold a bun on top of my head. I thought that braids might be causing my hair to break, but I might try the untied braids inside a silk sleeping cap..... it seems like a great idea.

I'm convinced scalp massage is especially good for growth.

Minx
March 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I used to wear a high bun for sleeping but then I started to notice lots of breakage around my nape. I guess a satin/silk pillowcase would help with that.

I never thought that untied braids would last the whole night. I'll give that a go tonight.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do with my current ends? S&D will take forever and I'd never get them all. I'm not sure about getting a trim. Any ideas?

Maybe I should try a self trim.... decisions, decisions.

MadPirateBippy
March 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I know I have a lot less breakage with my silk pillowcase, they're totally worth getting (the polyester satin was a nightmare- hot, sticky, sweaty, and it made my hair staticky).

I do braids and I shift if they're down the middle or over one shoulder depending on the night. Without the elastics I get less damage, but also if I don't comb my hair before I braid it, it holds much better. I just comb in the morning.

Hope that helps!

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
My ends were really bad, dry, with lots of splits. I tried to baby and S&D for a long time, but the ends kept getting thinner and thinner, looking worse instead of better. So I self-trimmed, and WOW do they look better! I don't regret it one bit. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

harpgal
March 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Minx, when someone tells me they think they are at terminal length, the first thing I wonder about is breakage. The second thing, does that person trim? If I were you, I would just go for it and get a very small trim. Keep doing that every 3 or 4 months and see how you do.

Guenever
March 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
how do you wear a fork to bed?!?!

It's not that terrible, really :silly: the fork's just not very long.. and mainly it just helps to keep the shape of the bun.. the little jaw clips do most of the work..
I'd love to have a small 3/4-pronged wooden fork.. maybe 4" or so.. my current metal one only has 2 and they're very thin so they aren't really that secure..

But it works - no doubt about that.. and I become a wavy every morning :inlove: -- for about 2 secs.. but still^^

OR Cowgirl
March 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I vary how I wear my hair to bed. Braids, banded ponytails, and buns. I usually hold the buns with a big satin scrunchy. I sleep with a satin pillowcase and have made myself a satin bag to cover the bottom half of my hair. I just hold it on with another scrunchy. Yes, I must look like the scrunchy queen when I do a banded pony! I never use elastics of any kind for sleeping, always scrunchies or bands made from a pair of tights.

Mariah

ladiosaRosa
March 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Don't despair. Perhaps there is remedial reason you are ot detecting growth. That being said, I'll tell you my story.

I am 60 yrs. old. I found TLHC in Nov. 2005. My hair always grew very, very slowly; my nails grow fast. Go figure. I hadn't cut my hair for a couple of years prior to finding TLHC. When I found this site....I knew I would never cut again.
I was so inspired by the pictures of really long hair on some members here and envisioned myself a Rapunzel.

I wear a sleep bun top of my head, sleep on silk satin, don't ever cut/trim, rarely comb, never comb wet, wear hair up 98% of the time and practice lots of other 'hair safety' I've read about here on LHC.

But, a year or so into TLHC convinced me, though kicking and screaming...that I was terminal at 33". It hit me pretty badly for a short period of time because what I made myself focus on, was how much healthier, in general, my hair is since I learned how to take care of it thanks to this site. It was like I had a new head of hair. Can you imagine thinking all your life you had unruly, straight hair only to learn you were actually a 2a/b and that I don't have to fight it! That in and of itself really makes me appreciate what I have today.

So, I settled down with my new prospective, I continue to find new/better ways to nourish my hair and plan to enjoy it for a long time.

I understand totally how you feel. I'd be flattered to have you as my 33" Terminal Twin.

ilovelonghair
March 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I have good news:
my hair wouldn't grow past bra strap lenght for years and it looked just sad, but then one day it just started growing, not because of taking different care (I was actually torturing my hair with hair dye) but it's somehow the way it is, my mother had exactly the same thing. So there is still hope!

ilovelonghair
March 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I used to wear a high bun for sleeping but then I started to notice lots of breakage around my nape. I guess a satin/silk pillowcase would help with that.

I have that too, I think it is because of the back of my head rubbing on the pillow. Would a satin pillow case really work?

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I have that too, I think it is because of the back of my head rubbing on the pillow. Would a satin pillow case really work?

I sleep in a high bun on a satin pillowcase, and I still get a lot of splits and breakage of nape hair. If the pillowcase is helping, I'd hate to see what my nape hair would be without it. You'd think I was sleeping on burlap!

I'm trying to learn to sleep with braids instead, but it isn't going so well.

Ria
March 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I suspect that my terminal may be around 33" or so as well so I sympathize. I joined LHC 2.5 years ago at 32" and have cut 3-4" a year to trim off damage but I have never made it past 32" total, my growth always seems to stop there. I still hope for more (I would love to get to at least tailbone) but am starting to resign myself to the idea that I may be at terminal as well. I figure I will concentrate on quality instead for the time and wait another year to see if I gain any more length.

I say learn as many new up-dos as you can, forget about your length for a while and see where you are at in 12 months.

trolleypup
March 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Terminal at 53" It bothers me a bit, but mostly I'm too envious of Dianyla to worry about my hair.

One test of being at terminal is what happens when you trim. I trimmed a couple inches off when I joined LHC, and it grew back at 1/2 inch per month until I reached the same length.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
maybe your ends are just damaged and breaking off so that it doesnt get any longer, you might could try a trim to get rid of any damage?

JamieLeigh
October 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've read on here that midback-to-waist is a common area to have a stall. Try to be patient, and just take good care of what you have. That way, if by a fluke it IS your terminal length, it'll look wonderful anyway. :flower:

Juanita
October 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
As every one says keep babying and wearing up. My hair has only gained an inch in the last year but am still growing out dye damage. I haven't dyed for 3 years next month. I know my hair can grow longer as it has been. It has been getting a little thicker at the ends but still very thin so am happy. I braid for sleep, oil the ends and wear up most of the time.
Cheers
Juanita

YoginiCelestial
October 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe some more protein in your diet might help, and lots of TLC.
I have been growing my hair since March, when I had shoulder length hair. It's in my album and I have grown a few inches but not near as fast as I'd like. Then since I've joined this site, have been really patient and loving my hair so much and people at work compliment me on my hair now. That never happened before. So my advice to you would be: please be patient. Then I bet as some have already said, it will start to grow again and the baby hairs will catch up!

pradabacon
October 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sometimes we cut our hair so much that we create an artificially short terminal length. Think about it, if your hair were left completely alone, it might grow to - for example - 50 inches. But if you've cut it many times, perhaps it will only grow to 30 before it sheds out. Then a new hair starts over at 0. So think about it: you have a lot of newer hairs that have never been cut. If you take very good care of them, you may have to cut nothing or very little off the ends. The full length potential is likely to be much longer. So if you stall but still want long hair, wait it out. Eventually those hairs that are shorter now will be your longest hairs, and they may be very long hairs indeed.

I'm pretty sure this is what's going on with me. There was about a two year period (3 years ago) where I was maintaining a shoulder length, layered cut, and my hair seems to grow at the average rate of 1/2" a month based on how long it is now. So I believe there are several inches of potential in my hair that I'm not going to achieve until my new growth catches up with what I was regularly cutting off a few years ago.

Definitely wait it out, and just do small trims every few months if you feel you need to. :flowers:

midnightwolf
January 5th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Sorry to bring back a (very) old thread, but my hairs been at 30(34 by LHC measurements)inch for a long time now, and its kinda getting me down since im aiming for classic length (between 40-45inch). I haven't had very many trims in the last year and my hairs in good condition. Ok i wear it down a lot and i do colour it. Could people give me tips (besides not colouring it, my hairs been blonde for years and its part of how i see my self) on how to look after it better? Like hair styles and stuff.
Thank you.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Don't give up! Try castor oil, I have heard it promotes growth

annamoonfairy
February 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Make a photo log don't cut and revisit in three months.