PDA

View Full Version : Canestan instead of Monistat - urgent???

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I have watched the Monistat thread on and off and decided to give this a go. Only thing is we don't have monistat in Australia so I figured our brand Canestan would be fine. I just googled the ingredients for Monistat thinking they would be the same and they are not. Canestan's active ingredient is clomatrizole.

I just put it all over my scalp - should I go wash it off immediately?

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I just found a site that says that long term use of Canestan is increased hair growth so maybe it will be ok???

Lassie
April 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
hiya, fellow aussi here!

Yes canestan is the wrong product :( wont do any damage i think, but yes id say wash it off..

The aussie equivalant to monistat is Daktarin, its available in all chemists..
here is a link to see what the packaging looks like
http://www.chemistdirect.com.au/daktarin-antifungal-cream-70g

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks - washed it out to be on the safe side. Didn't want to wake up with all my hair around me - horror!

Purdy Bear
April 9th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for that, it seems its also the case in the Uk. Iv found Daktarin, but not Monistat on line, and the advertisers always push Canesten here.

countryhopper
April 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM
But maybe it would still do the same thing as Monistat?? It's just another kind of fungal cream, and that's what Monistat is, right? Just wondering...

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
That's what I figured but didn't want to risk it.

Jessfoz
November 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Sorry just had to drag this up again, because I've been looking at the Daktarin available here in Aus and it's got totally different active ingredients....?

Gothchiq
November 29th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I doubt that it would hurt you but it may not help either.

I tried the Monistat trick and it did not work for me at all. :( It gave my boyfriend awful dandruff. Some people get wonderful results... but not us, sadly.

xoxo
gothchiq

bunzfan
November 29th, 2011, 07:38 AM
If it helps i have using that one because i ran out of Daktrin and i remember jojo saying it worked for her. I have been applying 3-4 times a week and erm i have been getting anything from a half inch to a inch a week:D:D

Also i leave it on my scalp till its wash day.

Amber_Maiden
November 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM
They only have Canestan in Canada as well. Must be the whole UK commonwealth colony thing...

jojo
November 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I tried canesten and had no success, try the daktarin its brilliant!

copperlites
March 13th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Wrong thread