PDA

View Full Version : Bald babies

Katze
April 9th, 2010, 03:41 AM
This is a thread for people who were bald babies or are the parents of bald babies!

My daughter just turned one and she does not have much hair to speak of. I can see that it is blonde, fine, and wavy, and the longest bits are about 2 inches long at the back of her head. Her hair is smooth and relatively consistent so she does not have any weird tufts or cowlicks at least but just looks like she is bald!

DH was bald until he was 1 1/2 or so, and I was a bald baby but had more hair than ours now does. And DH now has thicker hair than me! We both have light brown/dark blonde hair, and both mostly fine hair.

Are all of you who were bald now finies? What about those of you who had bald kids?

And do all bald babies end up blonde? (DH and I were both blonde so we assume our baby will be too, though we do both have brown haired siblings who were NOT bald as babies...!)

My final question is WHEN do you think my baby kitty will get hair! She is the only baby we know now who has almost none. Was anyone else's kid bald this long?

Luckily where we live bald babies are fairly common. It is always funny when Baby Kitty encounters people from other cultures, such as our recent visit to the African hair shop, where the ladies were most charmed with her and highly amused at the fact that she is bald. :D

Kristine
April 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I was a bald baby, and I don't think I had much hair until I was about 2 years old. Now I have lots of it, so I don't think there is any reason to worry about your baby ;)

My hair is both (medium/dark) blonde and fine.

freckles
April 9th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I was a bald baby, I didn't have any hair for a long time -- maybe until I was 2? My little sister was the same.

We both grew blonde hair in when we got it, but mine quickly darkened to the brown/red it is now. My sister's became a nice light strawberry blonde/honey colour. I haven't seen her natural colour since she was 12 or so because she dyes, but it was still blonde at that point.

Oh, and I have very fine hair, pretty sure my sister does too.

eternallyverdan
April 9th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I was bald until I was 2 or 3, and blond until 3rd grade. my parents had to scotch-tape little barrettes to my head for Easter photos so that you could tell I was a girl. My brother had gorgeous long blond ringlets until he was about 5.

Madame J
April 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I was born with thick, dark hair, but a few days later it all fell out and I was bald for a while. Then it grew back in thicker.

Ravenne
April 9th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I was bald or nearly bald well past 1 year. I think by the time I hit two I had hair that at least broke up the line of my scalp in some places. Mom said it took me a long time to grow hair. But when it did it grew in dark and of average thickness.

And I'm still medium to dark brown and on the high end of average in thickness. :)

ravenreed
April 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Both of my sons were bald as eggs and stayed that way until 2. One is a red head and one is a dark brunette. They both have really thick hair now, so I guess the wait was worth is.

joiekimochi
April 9th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I was so bald I looked like a hairless monkey. Even when I was 2 years old I was bald-ish with very fine and thin hair just covering the scalp barely. My brother on the other hand had a head full of thick long black curls before he was 1. But now I'm the one with the more manageable hair; straight, split-free and 99% tangle free even after sleeping an entire night with my hair loose (although it's fine and thin), but my brother has really coarse and bushy hair that has to be cut very short to be fuss-free (he's a military doctor so he doesn't have much choice).

Nae
April 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I was bald till I was three, my mother used to tape bows to my head with scotch tape! Thanks mom. Anyways, I always seemed to have thin hair in elementary school but by the time high school hit I had hair so thick and wavy my goofy friend who was a Star Trek fan dubbed me "the girl with the Klingon hair." So no worries, she won't be bald forever.

Bethie
April 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
My daughter was bald for the longest time, by the time she was 2.5 years old she finally had enough hair to do a half pony for our family pictures. When her hair finally grew in it was so blond, it didn't even look like she had hair. Thankfully she is now 8 and has a full head of dark blond hair, and it is so thick.

Loreley
April 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I had thick black hair when I was born.
When I was 1 year old I already had a tiny ponytail. :)
But my sister was a bold baby. She had a few fine blond hair. And when she was 5 she had classis length hair!
She is dark blond now and has waist length hair. I guess her hair is ii/iii now, so it's pretty thick.
So don't worry, your baby won't be bald for ever! :)

MerryKat
April 9th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I was bald at birth and by the time I started school at 6 years old, I had not had a hair cut - my hair was a smooth cap. I was never blonde, but auburn which darkened over the years.

I now have a mop of fine hair, my 2nd child was bald till around 2 and he is blond and now at 5 has masses of blond curls.

Themyst
April 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM
My daughter was born bald. She started growing in very fine blond hair (more like fuzz) and didn't really start having real hair until she was about two years old.

Katze
April 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Interesting stories, thanks!

If Baby Kitty had dark hair, she would not look bald, but the fact that it is 'clear' (as my brown haired sister used to say of my hair) makes her head look white. I am taking comfort in the fact that others who were bald so long had hair later, and that some day I will be able to play with her hair.

On a slightly related topic, a mom on our street with a 3 year old with curly, red hair was lamenting that she does not know what to do with her daughter's curls, and I suggested leave-in, which she had never heard of. So I am spreading the gospel as much as I can...might even make some Fox's Conditioning Cream to give to them... :D

Liss
April 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
My step niece was born bald and really didn't grow any hair until she was about 8. She seemed to take it all in her stride which is brave for a school aged girl, although there were moments of wondering if she ever would grow actual hair. There were some jokes about her being undoubtably her father's daughter (also bald), but by the time she was 12 she had a head full of adorable blond shoulder length curls.

SpinningCarrie
April 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I was born mostly bald, then had my head shaved at six days old because of spinal menengitis. It eventually came in, and is pretty thick. Both my kids were pretty bald when they were born. My son's hair is like mine, thick and coarse. My daughter's hair finally got long enough to do something with between 2-3 years old. She has lots of hair, but it is pretty fine. The little stinker also wont let me do much with it, so I have bobbed it the past couple of years just to make it easier to deal with. I keep telling my husband I am going to have to grow my son's hair out to have someone else to do braids on.
Carrie

Speckla
April 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I was pretty much bald until I turned 4. My hair was white blond duck fuzz. I stayed blonde until I was about 10. Got my first haircut and it grew in thicker, darker, and curlier. I'm now a light/medium ashbrown naturally, darker due to henna. My hair is medium all the way - neither fine, thick, nor coarse.

Nightshade
April 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
My sister was bald until she was nearly two, and now she has tailbone length super thick rich brown hair :)

Speckla
April 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
My son's hair was also so light that it looked clear. He was a baldy until he was 3-4 and now has the thickest, curliest/wurliest dark blond/light brownhair. He is almost 14.

Tresses
April 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I love bald babies! Easier to kiss and clean up after they smash peas on their heads. :lol:

2 of my 3 children were baldies. My daughter didn't get her first haircut until she was 2, and her hair was still very thin at that point. She's 15 now and somewhere along they way her hair grew to be twice as thick as mine. (I have hair envy!) My other bald baby also now has somewhat thick hair.

SmileShine
April 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
My new niece is a baldie - just means I have to keep her in cute hats so people know she is a girl :)

Altocumulus
April 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I was a bald baby! My mother tells me I didn't have hair until I was 2. When I was a child, it was very light, but gradually darkened to the medium ash blonde it is now. It's mostly medium texture, with some fine and some coarse hairs mixed in.

vamq
April 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
My older sister was bald (and had no teeth!) until just a few days after her first birthday.
(My mum joked about it when family asked what she wanted for her birthday; she told them to buy a tiny wig and fake teeth! :P)

Now she has the most beautiful, thick darkbrown wavy hair.

Merewen
April 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I was bald, although I don't think it took too long to start growing. My baby hair was very blond and very fine. It still is blond(ish?) and fine, but much less so on both counts.

sibiryachka
April 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
In my baby book, where there are little envelopes to store hair cuttings from 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc - on all of the envelopes it says "Not enough hair to cut" or just "BALD", up until age 2. My mom used to scotch-tape bows to my head so people would know I was a girl : ( Now she wonders why I don't think I have particularly feminine features!

The hair I eventually got was darkish blonde, which darkened to light brown by the time I was 20 or so. Up through my teens it was fairly fine and stick-straight, but the darkening was accompanied by some coarsening and wave (I'm now a 1c/2a).

teela1978
April 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I was bald till three or so. Scotch tape bows were stuck on my head too :) I was blonde till puberty hit and it darkened up to my current color. I don't think anyone ever bothered cutting my hair till I was 7 or so. It was super fine and just didn't really get long enough to require cutting till then.

Gem
April 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I was bald until I was two, and my hair was extremely thin (you could see my scalp through it) until I was about nine. I was also extremely blonde until my hair started to darken when I was ten or so. My hair was very fine and fragile, and wouldn't grow past BSL. Now my hair is light brown, mostly medium strands and medium thickness. And it's growing just fine :D
Baby is still mostly bald at fifteen months old. I mean, there's no bare skin on her scalp anymore, but it still doesn't look like she has hair! She has darker hair than I did - it's strawberry blonde. Her hair is a bit of a surprise, since my partner has black 3c/4a hair. Genes are funny :)

verene
April 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I was a bald baby. No hair at all until about 2.5 and then so light-colored and ultra fine you couldn't see much of it until I was 4 or so. My hair stayed ultra fine and blond through out childhood (NOTHING stayed in it). Still very fine, but now a much darker blond.

BrightEyes7
April 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I was born bald... stayed bald for a long time. Then I had fine white hair... Then it darkened and thickened over time.

renarok
April 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Bald baby heads are the most wonderful things. Both my girls had NO hair. I loved schnuzzling their precious little noggins.

They were both tow heads as young kids, and as young adults are both still blonde.

I had a hair helmet by the time I was one. I think my baby pictures look silly.

rags
April 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I was born with thick jet black hair. Then it all fell out within a week and I was bald until I was two, when fine, see through blond hair started coming in. It stayed very, very fine - it actually has never gotten coarser at all. I did get more of it though! :D

Sunny_side_up
April 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
My old work colleague was bald until after 2years she started growing hair. She is in her 50s and has always since ive known her(7years) keeps her hair at BSL, its thick straight 1a hair, think she uses a hairdryer. She regularly dyes it black, true colour is blonde.

Islandgrrl
April 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Totally bald baby here. My mother tells stories about taping bows onto my head so people would realize I was a girl. My hair was very fine and very white-blonde as a little kiddo, and eventually got crazy thick and red.

Both of my kids were born with quite a lot of hair. My daughter's was black when she was born...it all fell out and came in blonde. My son's was red when he was born and it gradually turned medium brown. DD's hair is probably a middle of the road ii now, it's fine and smooth and perfectly straight & healthy. DS's hair is probably a middle to high iii now and is curly and coarse when he let's it grow. It's about 1/8" long all over.

Kimberlee
April 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
My daughter had VERY fine light brown hair at birth. It was NOT good hair. It stayed BAD hair for her first few years - we called it "baby bird hair" - it was more like fuzz and it didn't lay down all all. Things didn't get much better through her grade school years. Thin, very fine, full of awful cowlicks.

She is now 19 and has fine but SUPER thick, gorgeous hair with this awesome natural wave and it hits her mid-back somewhere. It's stunning..... Bald baby does not mean thin hair!

Here is my bald/bad haired baby:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/allhaka/DD_Hair1.jpg

That doesn't demonstrate very well just how thick it is, but I braided it (very poorly) this morning and it was a FAT braid.

She JUST colored it last week. I was almost physically ill. She went to an Aveda salon (is any of it really any better??) and got a demi - she's about as tight with her money as they come, so hopefully this will be the only time - I know she wasn't impressed. She was trying to match her ends and crown..... Sorry. I'm done. :D

rach
April 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My first two kids were born bald for over a year then they went curly blond (one has corse hair and one had fine hair) which was a pain to grow out (kept tangling till i could tie it up) for my daughter whos did turn straight in the end :ponder: . My youngest decided to jump us with very dark brown straight hair when he was born which is soft as silk and often people have asked if he has a different father because they don't look like clones. Nope , its the same genes just all jumbled up differently :p. personally i love the variation , gives them more individuality.

I too was a bald baby :) and i did start off as blond but it was only lasted for 3/4 years

natorade
April 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
My brother and I were both bald babies. Now we have thick hair. Well, when I don't mess with it mine it gets thick :D

rachelily
April 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hehe what a cute thread.

I didn't have hair until I was three years old. My mum would dress me in pink dresses and pink hats (to hide my obviously bald head) and people would still call me her "adorable son". I think this is why I subconsciously dress very femininely now and always wear my hair down, to look as girly as possible!

rachelily
April 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
My daughter had VERY fine light brown hair at birth. It was NOT good hair. It stayed BAD hair for her first few years - we called it "baby bird hair" - it was more like fuzz and it didn't lay down all all. Things didn't get much better through her grade school years. Thin, very fine, full of awful cowlicks.

She is now 19 and has fine but SUPER thick, gorgeous hair with this awesome natural wave and it hits her mid-back somewhere. It's stunning..... Bald baby does not mean thin hair!

Here is my bald/bad haired baby:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/allhaka/DD_Hair1.jpg

That doesn't demonstrate very well just how thick it is, but I braided it (very poorly) this morning and it was a FAT braid.

She JUST colored it last week. I was almost physically ill. She went to an Aveda salon (is any of it really any better??) and got a demi - she's about as tight with her money as they come, so hopefully this will be the only time - I know she wasn't impressed. She was trying to match her ends and crown..... Sorry. I'm done. :D

Wow, your daughter has stunning hair! Is the colour in the photo her natural color or the post-dyed colour?

Kimberlee
April 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Rachelily! That pic is about a year old, so that is her natural color. She colored it so the ends matched the new growth - it faded a bit in the sun and I guess it was driving her nuts...??? It was the least dramatic color change I have ever seen. I suspect it will not happen again. : ) At least I can hope.....

EverydayMiracle
April 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM
My daughter has never been bald, but her hair is very thin and grows *very* slowly. It's disappointing. My step daughter was the same way. When I first met her, some body had cut her hair into a mullet that has never grown out because her hair grows so slowly. I really feel for both of them.

Given that I have thick hair that grows fast, I know these are Daddy's genetics. He's bald.

IndigoAsh
April 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I was a bald baby, and my twins ... well all three of my boys were baldies! My oldest has a full head of thick blondish hair!! The twins are 15 months old and hardly any hair still. I expect it'll come in full force this summer though. I can already see it's thickened quite a bit over the past couple of months. Don't fret, a full head of hair is just around the corner waiting to be fussed over!

Lamb
April 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I had no hair to speak of until I was almost 2. It was all right from then on. :) My sister was born with a full head of thick blonde hair, and we have about the same thickness now.(although not the same hairtype, she is a 1a/1b//M//ii)

invisiblebabe
April 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I was bald until I was 2 or 3, and blond until 3rd grade. my parents had to scotch-tape little barrettes to my head for Easter photos so that you could tell I was a girl. My brother had gorgeous long blond ringlets until he was about 5.

You look like you're still blonde to me (albeit dark blonde). You have beautiful hair!

Alun
April 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
You know, before I came to America I had never seen baby girls with hair ribbons but no hair! To me, I just find that extremely weird. One of many examples of culture shock that I experienced, I suppose. Why on earth would anyone assume that a baby with no hair must be a boy? As we say in England "All babies look like Winston Churchill", LOL!

Nae
April 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM
:laugh:I think it is pretty amusing how many of us had things scotch taped to our little baby heads!! My mom was so impressed when those little garter looking things came out for baby girls to wear on their heads, she was kicking herself for not thinking of it first.

Laylah
April 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Lol, I was born with a fauxhawk that didn't lie down until I was two....But I was never bald.

Fractalsofhair
April 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I wasn't a bald baby, born with thick bright red hair, but it did fall out when I was 6 month old and I was bald for a little while. I am mainly a finey, but it's changing a bit now.

-simply Venus-
April 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I thought all babies were born bald?? XD

I was born bald and I have dark brown hair, so nope! It's not just blondes.

Keildra
April 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I was born bald and was bald for the first 3 months of my life, and I'm a redhead

Norai
April 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Was bald until I was over a year old, still have really fine hair..

walterSCAN
April 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I was born... the opposite of bald. :wink: I had 1-2" of thick (iii), almost black hair when I was born that never fell out but did get a lot lighter by the time I was in kindergarten-- really light brown/blonde/red, and went down to a ii/iii.

I my brother was born almost bald though (wisps of light brown), and stayed that way for quite a while and now he has the thick, almost black hair. It's weird how we kinda traded... I'd love to trade him back because he just buzzes off his gorgeous hair!

hydrangea
April 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I didn't have hair until like 1 1/2 or 2 I think. My mom told me she was worried I was never going to have hair! I am blonde and have very thick fine hair.

girloctopus
April 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
You know, before I came to America I had never seen baby girls with hair ribbons but no hair! To me, I just find that extremely weird. One of many examples of culture shock that I experienced, I suppose. Why on earth would anyone assume that a baby with no hair must be a boy? As we say in England "All babies look like Winston Churchill", LOL!

That's hilarious! I have a picture of my son from when he was maybe three months old or so, propped up on an armchair, and I think he looks EXACTLY like Winston Churchill! I didn't know that it was a popular reference in England, haha :D

Anyway, I was mostly bald for a while (a yearish) and now have extremely thick hair. My son was mostly bald until 18 months or so, and then began growing a lot of hair. He's only two, so it's still really fine, but he's already showing that he's going to have a lot of thickness as more grows in. Poor boy :p

Narya
April 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
If I had as much hair now as I did when I was born (in comparison, I mean) I would have amazingly thick black locks. I come from a family of very hairy babies with nearly black hair that turn into blond toddlers, light brown kids and brunette adults... so I don't think being bald as a baby, per se, will mean she will have any given color/thickness/etc. It's more a matter of genetics, IMO, and surely she will have amazingly beautiful hair like yours (or your SO's).

As for when... judging by the kids in the kindergarten I work at, I'd say that generally at 2/3 yo all of them have full heads of hair (different hair, but hair nonetheless), even the ones that looked bald at 1yo and later, so I wouldn't worry much :)

NuclearMosquito
April 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I was born bald and remained so until about a year and a half. Mom says my hair came in as randomly placed blonde corkscrews all over my head! My hair darkened and got redder gradually, and lost most of the curl.

wtchmel
April 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I was a bald baby and toddler! my hair was baby fine and thin until like 6th grade, when it finally grew in at about 3 years old, it was white, i mean white as paper!! people used to rip on my ass constantly as a child calling me albino.( this may have been why i became a bully type) it became light blonde around 5th grade and remained that way till i got pregnant(27) then hormones made it darken to a darker ashy blonde (now it's gray/white). Needless to say, i feel for any thin fine white haired girl children, it was brutal growing up with hair like that. i looked like a boy till almost highschool!! this must be why i grow my hair long, because as a child thats all i wished for daily.
wow, nothing like rambling, damn, sorry about that.lol

jasper
April 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I was pretty darn bald up to age 2 or so, My mom said I had pink hair- but this is a reference to my pink bald head.

Eniratak
April 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I was bald for so long that my real mom thought I wouldn't grow any hair.
It came out thick and dark brown. XD.

Lunnafindel
April 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The story of my hair is that for the first 2 years I was bald (and mistaken for a boy), so when my hair finally started growing, my parents were too in awe/relieved that I had hair that they didn't cut it, and by the time I had a choice in the matter I liked long hair and I've never cut it since. :) So clearly baldness at birth doesn't mean baldness later in life, but I am blond, so that probably has more to do with it.

LoversLullaby
April 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I was a bald baby. I was bald all the way up until I was about one. I was so bald people thought I was a boy even when I wore pink frilly things!!! :( But my hair now is medium textured and iii, so it didn't have any effect on me afterwards.

Kelli Kat
April 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I was pretty bald as a baby. Both of my sons were bald when they were babies too.