PDA

View Full Version : Fancy french braided bun mohawk! *pic*

Heavenly Locks
April 9th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I was googling braids and I found this super photo :)

http://www.myhairstylingtools.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/french-braid-gtl-oct07-med.jpg

I think YellowChariot would look super with this one! :D I think this could be a great unisex braid. What do you think?

I'd love to see some of our LHC braid pros give this one a try. It looks like the center of the head is parted out and french braided. Then the loose hair is pulled back into a simple bun (with the temple left out for the accent braid) and then the tail of the french braid wrapped around the lot. :inlove:

I would try it, but I don't think I'd get the same effect with having such heavy bangs cut into my hair.

juliaxena
April 9th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I love such modern looking updos. Way more than classical. Thanks for sharing.

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 12:56 AM
ooh!! needs to try...

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Ok, I'm no model and I've not put very much effort into this one but.... here ya go. I've got day old hair so it's perfect for updo's at the moment. I think it needs a little more height through the braid but realistically I wouldn't wear it all that high day-to-day anyway.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4504935356_677bdf3f87.jpg

ukuleleclaire
April 9th, 2010, 01:47 AM
That is awesome! :rockerdud I am so going to try this when my hair is longer.

Gothic Lolita
April 9th, 2010, 02:01 AM
That loos awesome! And it makes a really nice style for the hotter days in the summer and loosk more intersting that a simple cinnamon bun. Since it isn't frenchbraided all the way down, it's something I can do myself, otherwise my mother would have to help me. I can't hold all that hair and still braid prettily....

Heavenly Locks
April 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM
julliams that looks SO flippin' AWESOME! :D

That deserves some :cheese:

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks Heavenly Locks. It's really comfy too - I'm still sporting it right now. I did it whilst watching TV and it's secured with a few bobby pins but you could use anything you normally do a bun with. I have layers so the bobby pins keep that in check.

IcarusBride
April 9th, 2010, 03:29 AM
ohh I wanna try! It looks like the model has some type of gel in her hair to make it stick up more? When I try this maybe I'll intentionally over-do it just a bit on the coconut oil.

julliams
April 9th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I reckon there is some kind of backcombing or hairspray being used to get the height as my hair has a fair amount of body to it and is very thick.

Blandine
April 9th, 2010, 04:39 AM
julliams I like your version even better than the model photo!

Bethie
April 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Nice do, thanks for sharing.

julliams, I think it looks much better on you, more natural than on the model.

Loreley
April 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Wow, it looks cool! :cool:

GlassEyes
April 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I agree with them, julliams--it also looks less painful on you. Did you see how tight that side braid is on the model? @_@

If my hair weren't so ******n curly and it were easier for me to do a french braid, I'd wear this. Maybe I ought to practice.

Fencai
April 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
woah.... this rocks!!! Im gonna have to keep that one in the records for a photoshoot!

countryhopper
April 9th, 2010, 06:31 AM
It looks like it's done as a giant dutch cornrow. I always wondered how cornrows were done because the lines are always so even, and then I saw how to do them on the dreamweaver braiding website. I'll have to try this!

yellowchariot
April 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Heavenly Lock, are you calling me out? :draw: lol j/k
I honestly don't know if I've got enough hair to try that style, especially the bunning part. But it totally rocks.

julliams, that's amazing! You nailed that look! :thumbsup:

LaurenH
April 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
That's such a cool looking updo!

redneckprincess
April 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
thats pretty cool... I would like to try it...though I dont think Im long enough yet

mimi1153
April 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
:thudpile:You did a fantastic job duplicating that style - - while watching TV....? I'm impressed.

pennyroyal
April 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
i am so gonna try this out when my hair is long! it is awesome!
& as everyone already said~juliams version looks great!

yellowchariot
April 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Heavenly Locks, I do not mean to hi-jack your thread, but I came across this awesome looking braid-hawk bun style on Google as well, which resembled the pic you posted. I think this is Spanish, however I barely can read or interpret Spanish lol. But, the pics are self explanatory. You all might wanna check this one out as well:

http://guiadesaude.blogspot.com/2008/12/penteados-trana-embutida.html

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Heavenly Locks, I do not mean to hi-jack your thread, but I came across this awesome looking braid-hawk bun style on Google as well, which resembled the pic you posted. I think this is Spanish, however I barely can read or interpret Spanish lol. But, the pics are self explanatory. You all might wanna check this one out as well:

http://guiadesaude.blogspot.com/2008/12/penteados-trana-embutida.html

Don't worry if you can't read or interpret Spanish, it's Portuguese.;)

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM
juliams- yours looks great. Honestly, not being a model just means that you don't have to do the fakey model snarl when you take a picture (j/k).

yellowchariot
April 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Don't worry if you can't read or interpret Spanish, it's Portuguese.;)

OOPS! My bad :o!

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Here's what I've got. I don't quite have enough hair for this and I suspect it would be a little cleaner on damp hair the way the model's was.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3128&pictureid=68939
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3128&pictureid=68940
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3128&pictureid=68941

ETA: Come to think of it, I only assumed that this is actually a braidhawk style. It's possible that they pulled the hair from much further toward the side of the head on the left side only we can't see it. That would be really interesting looking from the front.

Maddy25
April 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Wow it's awesome! Edgy yet classy, I cant wait to try someday! Everyone who tried looks amazing!

IndigoAsh
April 9th, 2010, 08:20 PM
omg I love this so much!!! Gonna try it tomorrow.

Merewen
April 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Chances are I'll be wearing this tomorrow too. Might balance it out by wrapping the big braid on top around on one side and putting that small accent braid on the other.

Ksenia
April 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Amazing style! I'd love to give it a go - has anyone with really fine hair tried it? I'm afraid it might look small and sad on me, but juliams and GoddesJourney, your photos of it are amazing! Any ideas how to increase the height of the dutch braid mohawk with fine hair?

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Amazing style! I'd love to give it a go - has anyone with really fine hair tried it? I'm afraid it might look small and sad on me, but juliams and GoddesJourney, your photos of it are amazing! Any ideas how to increase the height of the dutch braid mohawk with fine hair?

I French braided it because it looked more like a French braid to me. From what I can see, the braid just ended up a little twisted when it got wrapped around the but. I didn't bother to try it the other way, though, so I don't know. Anyway, I did that part loosely, so that it would stand up. Also, I made sure to bring the strands more side to side than back (more coronal plane, less saggital plane). That makes it stand up more for me because my hair prefers to go down our back. As I mentioned in my post, this may be easier with damp hair.

yellowchariot
April 9th, 2010, 09:07 PM
GoddesJourney, I think you took it! It does look like a "spike-up french braid on top"!
Your hair color and texture looks great with this particular 'do!

RecklessCharlie
April 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Wicked! I've got to give this one a try - thanks for posting!

Beets
April 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I like this from the side a lot. Those who have tried it, how does it look from the front? I'm going to try it, but I won't post pictures if it makes me look like a triangle; having chubby cheeks, one cannot be too careful about not adding pointed height to the area at the very top of one's forehead.

xovictoryxo
April 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
thats gorgeous! Im going to try that out!!

RecklessCharlie
April 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I am really liking this style!
Here's my attempt.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/doofuschucklesniffer/hair20232.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/doofuschucklesniffer/hair20122.jpg

Heavenly Locks
April 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM
AAHHH!! (happy scream) RecklessCharlie That looks so cool on you :D I love the way the braid twists and wraps around the bun in this style :) Thanks so much for trying it and sharing photos!

:cheese:

GoddesJourney
April 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
RecklessCharlie you really got it right. That definately looks better with the Dutch braid than the French that I used. Great face for it too. Beets, yes, this looked terrible on me from the front because I have kind of a long face. Anything that has the top sticking up looks lame on me, especially with the French braid. Maybe it would be better with the Dutch.

kelly-j
April 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
wow, that really looks cool

AnitaThorn
April 10th, 2010, 01:25 AM
So cool! Kind of reminds me of Torrin Paige's braided regency style. :)

RecklessCharlie
April 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM
AAHHH!! (happy scream) RecklessCharlie That looks so cool on you :D I love the way the braid twists and wraps around the bun in this style :) Thanks so much for trying it and sharing photos!

:cheese:
Thank you! It was quite easy to do as well - most certainly using this do!

RecklessCharlie you really got it right. That definately looks better with the Dutch braid than the French that I used. Great face for it too.
Thank you :) Yeah, a regular french would have looked odd on my head, the dutch lends a more 'mohawk' appearance.

Blandine
April 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I am wearing a very messy variety of this style at the moment, I'll better not show it to anyone. Even less so when seeing those perfect styles here. Must practise the Dutch braid...

Rennire
April 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I love how this one looks! I tried to do it on myself though and it resulted in a lot of snapping and swearing =( I'll give it another try someday when my hair is being straighter!

Thanks for sharing!

yellowchariot
April 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Wow @ RecklessCharlie's version! That's amazing! Killer texture and shine! :thumbsup:

Beets
April 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/doofuschucklesniffer/hair20232.jpg

This looks AMAZING. I love it.

yellowchariot
April 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hey Beets, be careful about double quoting pictures, people who aren't on nerve medication my go off the deep end! LOL :smirk: :tongue: J/K

*looks around suspiciously*

Capybara
April 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
That is such a cool style!
Definitely have to try it, when my hair dries. :D

Beets
April 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hey Beets, be careful about double quoting pictures, people who aren't on nerve medication my go off the deep end! LOL :smirk: :tongue: J/K

*looks around suspiciously*

Wait, what? I have no idea what this means... :confused:

yellowchariot
April 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Wait, what? I have no idea what this means... :confused:

I had no idea either until I read this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41652

:p

restourceful
April 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
*likes round face shape for once*

This is soooooo coooooool! I can't wait to try it. I have layers and I think this can work for me. And the height will make my round squatty face look longer. Yay! :cheer:

I'm washing in a little while, or maybe tomorrow, so this is what I'm going to do after I wash. Thanks so much, Heavenly Locks, for posting it! :flowers:

Kristin
April 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I tried this one last night while watching a movie. I did not bother with a comb, so it's a bit sloppy. VERY comfy and cool. DBF loved it, too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4758&pictureid=69026
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4758&pictureid=69027

GoddesJourney
April 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Doesn't seem that messy. Very nice. Your length is much better for it than mine. My bun looked a bit straggly. I had a hard time tucking the ends.

SheaLynne
April 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm a bit late here, but I'm wearing this one today...LOVE it for how well it works with my growing out bangs (chin length). Not the best picture, but here's one in my album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4802&pictureid=69108

I do really love this style..thanks for posting it!

restourceful
April 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
OK, here's my messy contribution. My hair was freshly washed last night so it's a bit too slick for the mohawk part to stand up or stay put toward the front.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5037&pictureid=69110

Ksenia
April 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I love seeing these! Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow with a slight variation to compensate for having most of my hair concentrated on the back of my head rather than evenly distributed all around, though I'm currently suffering from a bit of hair amnesia and my hands have forgotten how to French braid, so trying to dutch braid might confuse them even more!

restourceful
April 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I had a little trouble with the dutch, too, Ksenia, since I usually only french braid and that's why mine is so messy. I just chanted to myself, "braid under, restourceful, braid under." :p

I hope your hair amnesia goes away soon!

Ksenia
April 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5295&pictureid=69234

I did it!! Sort of! It was my first attempt at a Dutch braid too, it took about 4 or 5 tries but I got it! I had to alter it a little because the hair at the front of my head is baby fine and almost translucent in spots, but I'm quite pleased with the outcome, all things considered! :cheese:

mintyhot
April 12th, 2010, 06:18 PM
ooohhhh! This is so pretty!! I will try it out when my hair grows a little more! Do you think it would be possible with chin length bangs?

GoddesJourney
April 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Looks great Ksenia.

Village Mama
April 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I like this a lot!!! I have super thick hair with layers and this is just perfect. I didn't use a cinnabun, but instead did sort of a nautilus bun held with a small fork... then I wrapped that with the braid. The little side braid goes up and over and tucks in perfect as well. All of it held very securely and comfortably with the small fork and one small tie at the end of the big braid. So comfy and balanced for someone with thick hair.

Pallas
April 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Wow, that looks really cool! I'll definitely try that once my hair is long enough. (and once I can finally french braid after a lifetime of trying)

I like how you can make it sleek and elegant but also really edgy and punky ^^

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
April 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Ok, I'm no model and I've not put very much effort into this one but.... here ya go. I've got day old hair so it's perfect for updo's at the moment. I think it needs a little more height through the braid but realistically I wouldn't wear it all that high day-to-day anyway.

OK, here's my messy contribution. My hair was freshly washed last night so it's a bit too slick for the mohawk part to stand up or stay put toward the front.

Wow! It looks so pretty on your fair hair! I'm going to try on mine, but the effect on my dark hair surely won't be as nice :(

Siava
April 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
That's so cool!

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
So cool! It looks good on you but I don't think I would look good with it

restourceful
April 15th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks, s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n. :flower: (Whoa that's hard to type quickly!)

PhillyGirl, I think that's the beauty of it. It looks edgy and elegant all at the same time, so it looks good on anyone. You can make it more edgy or elegant simply by varying the hair toy, or lack of one, you use to dress it up or not.