PDA

View Full Version : Water softener

Caxikian
April 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I've been trying to find more info on it but sadly I can't find any at all

I would like to tell you a bit of info first about my situation....
I live in a area that has hard water which seem to cause my hair to become very tangled, dry, etc. so I bought a filter hoping it would handle the job & amazingly it solved the situation! My hair is much easier to comb/brush through, not so dry anymore etc.

After a while I ran into another problem....
Everytime I use the filter it makes this loud ear piercing sound :justy:
So then I was forced to buy a 5 gallon bucket I now set up the shower so the filtered water goes into the bucket that way I don't have to stay in the bathroom & hear the loud ear piercing sound :eek:
then I ran into another problem I realized that when I turn on the water...
that the water is running from the shower head & the faucet
Which means I'm wasting water
so.... as you can see I keep running into problems over & over & over
Someone suggested that I use water softener I would like to know more about it

I was wondering the following:

Does hard water effect hair growth?
& Cause hair to become tangled easily? (which can result in snags,breakage etc. if you're not careful with brushing or combing)
Is water softener necessary?
Is water softener safe?
What is water softener?
Does anyone here use water softener?
Does anyone here use a filter for their shower head?
Can anyone recommend a excellent filter?

Thanks
& If you can provide more info about this
that would be great!

Brat
April 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have a softener. I have well water, and it runs through the softener before it gets to the house. It's pretty much a giant bucket full of salt pellets.

Soap will later much better, but will feel hard to rinse. It's totally safe, and doesn't affect growth or tangles or anything like that. In my case anyway.

I love it and can tell when it needs more salt, my hair feels rough and nothing lathers.

argyle
April 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
What filter do you use? I'd love one for my shower, even with the squealing noise! The hard water drives me CRAZY!

Caxikian
April 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Brat Thanks so much for explaining it to me!

argyle
I've been using a ge (general electric) smartwater shower filter for about a year now
I think the model number for mine is GXSM01HWW & you have to change the filter every 6 months
I hope that helps :)

I wonder if you can use a brita fliter but that's just for the sink
not the shower & its $50-$60 (I think)

chopandchange
April 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Is this a poem? :confused:

I'm just wondering why you have centred the text and written in all in italics; it's kind of distracting! At first glance, I genuinely thought you had composed a sonnet about water softener! Hee hee!

Back on topic: I don't know much about water softeners, but I'm sure many people on here do, and will be able to help.

Nilithyana
April 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I have well water with a softener. My hair always seems smoother with it than when I'm someplace that doesn't have one (though maybe that's all in my mind?). I'm not sure of the brand :shrug:, I can't seem to find one on it, sorry.