PDA

View Full Version : Super bright red highlights

aasiyah
April 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone
I am a major lurker but pop in once in a while to ask a question..
:)

I was hoping for some opinions. I have curly hair that reaches approximately to the end of the bra strap area unstretched and would like to grow it to a minimum of waist length.
It is naturally very dry and for the past four years (since I discovered LHC) i was cone free. I am currently undergoing a cone experiment for the first time since (hair is loving it)
my hair is virgin other than henna and hennindigo.

it is naturally very dark, almost black.

I would like some BRIGHT punky looking red highlights in the bottom half of my hair on just a few strands - a bright true red color. I am not super familiar with hair dyes but have tried to achieve this look at a salon before and the hairdresser bleached my hair first then added the red - which caused ALOT of damage that has only recently grown out. Also, the red she added was not as bright as I was hoping for, nor did it last longer than 2 weeks.

Is there a way to get the real red highlights I am looking for causing minimal damage? is it ok to try over henna (ive used only body art quality)? Do i have to bleach first?

I have recently been reading about manic panic - is this very bad for the hair?

I'd rather have strong healthy hair than highlights..if I have to choose.. but if I dont I really want the highlights!

Thanks for your advice!

Brat
April 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM
If you have indigo in your hair, it might be too damaging to lighten it enough. May even turn green... have a strand test done on your shed hairs before you commit. I've heard good things about Manic Panic color, but haven't researched it.

eta: How about clip-ins?

Quixii
April 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Manic panic itself isn't damaging, but to get bright red you'll almost certainly need to bleach, which is damaging.
I agree with perhaps trying clip-ins?

aasiyah
April 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys, I might try clip ins. I dont think its worth the risk right now. :)

manderly
April 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Nope. No way. Clip ins are your best bet.

I had 2 large chunks on either side in the front stripped blond then dyed red. They faded to a hideous pumpkin orange within a week or so.

You can't get RED without bleach, and you can't bleach that far without damage. Clip ins are fun! :D

Loreley
April 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I'd choose clip ins, too. I used dye on the upper part of my hair 2 years ago and it still looks horrible.