PDA

View Full Version : Hey, he did that wrong!

TheLuckyLurker
April 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I just watched the Chris Rock documentary "Good Hair", and it reminded me of something that happened several years ago (like back in the 90's):

I was about 13 or so and my mom took me to a salon because I wanted a haircut. The style I wanted required a relaxer, which I'd never had before (and after one touch-up, never had again). As the stylist was going through my hair to see what he had to work with, he asked if I'd been scratching my scalp a lot -I had- because he could see the redness and irritation. Here's where things get wonky: after he saw AND commented on my irritated scalp, HE SLAPPED A BUNCH OF RELAXER ON MY HEAD ANYWAY.

Now, I do feel a little bad because neither my mom or I caught that at the time, but he was a professional. Or at least, he was supposed to be. That's probably why it didn't register with either of us; we assumed he knew what he was doing, since he had a liscence.

I'm only just starting to realize now how lucky I was not to have gotten serious damage/injuries. And after getting one touch-up -where he slopped it all through my hair and not just the roots, by the way- I decided I would never get my hair relaxed again, and haven't.

Well, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves; I'll be stroking my hair and promising it I'll never do anything like that to it again:D.

marikamt
April 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
oh, wow... I hope you (and your hair) were ok!

Reminds me of a quote I once heard... I think it is applicable to hairdressers to ;)
'Just remember, one half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class".....
kinda scary.......

spidermom
April 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Yikes; you were lucky, indeed!

Gingevere
April 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I just saw Good Hair the day before yesterday, what a coincidence! It was really interesting and I learned a lot. Including just how bad the chemicals in relaxer (and other salon hair treatments, I'm sure) are for both the hair and the scalp.

My long hair journey began with a bad salon experience. I decided to get a body wave in the summer after my freshman year of high school. Wild, wavy hair was very "in" in my area at that time and I was still stuck in that "I have to be just like the POPULAR girls!" stage. Now, I had had perms before when I was a little girl, so I wasn't expecting any, er, mishaps. Especially since a body wave is supposed to be a less extreme version of a perm. Plus, I had been going to that stylist for years, with good results. Anyway, she put in the top row of curlers too tight and somehow that, along with the harsh chemicals, caused several patches of hair to become severely weakened and break off at the root. So I had patches of stubble right smack in the middle of my hairline, directly on top of my head, and at the nape of my neck! The "spikies" were horrible and I had to get bangs (which I'm still dealing with today) to cover the ones in front. That was the point when I said, "No more!" and started the slow process of growing those dry, damaged waves out.

After watching that doc, I realize I got off easy. At least I didn't have to deal with extreme pain and chemical burns!