PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Style Tutorial! Gaijin Odango by pinkbunny

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
This should work for most hair types and maybe even shorter hair if you're creative (just skip the last steps and finish it off differently). The best part about it is that I have fine, thin hair and I found a way to create a bun that EATS MY HEAD!!! lol

I wanted to learn how to make a japanese odango, but all the tutorials I found were for shorter hair, and I didn't know what to do with the rest of mine, so I came up with a modified version. I didn't know how to say "long hair" in japanese, so I just named it the "Gaijin Odango" ;)

Hope you guys like it (just try not to laugh too hard at my horrible southern accent, okay?) :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-y9fkJiQ3U

zeldagirl7491
April 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Southern accents are not horrible :) It's the fake put-on ones that are really horrible.
Nice video, I saved it to my playlist.

Ravenne
April 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
That's really cool!! It really adds the illusion of lots and lots of hair. :) Thanks for taking the time to make this!

Loreley
April 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I love it, especially the messy variation! I'm gonna try it tomorrow(I'd love try it immediately but my hair is wet and I'm going to bed:D). Thanks for sharing! :flower:

Rennire
April 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
It looks awesome, good job! I can't wait to try it. Thank's for sharing! =)

redwoman
April 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Nice bun. I'd like to try this on my hair. Thanks for making the video.

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Southern accents are not horrible :) It's the fake put-on ones that are really horrible.

Well mine seems to get deeper as the years roll by, and people love to point that out to me! ;)

Glad everyone is liking it so far! :cheese:

sophistiCat *
April 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Your hair is stunning! I was like wow, lol. Great video :)

Palonia
April 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Great video! I will definitely keep this in mind for once my hair is longer.

Kristin
April 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Very cool! I hope my hair is long enough for it...:)

restourceful
April 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I like this but I don't know if I can do it with my layers. :hmm: I'll try tomorrow.

And I have more of a southern accent than you do and I'm north of you!:p

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Great! Thanks! There is hope for 1a/F non-iii's out there! Your hair is so beautiful :crush:.

Maybe I've been living in Georgia too long, but I didn't even notice your accent.

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I like this but I don't know if I can do it with my layers. :hmm: I'll try tomorrow.

And I have more of a southern accent than you do and I'm north of you!:p

If you can get your hair in a high ponytail I bet you could do it. Doesn't matter if pieces stick out - it's supposed to be messy! That's what's so great about it!

...and I was trying to suppress my accent, too... lol

ETA: I'm not bashing southern accents, I just have issues. For some reason, it sounds okay (to me) coming from other people but I just sound weird...

ravenreed
April 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Great tutorial and your accent is wonderful! What is a euro pin? Is it like a bunhead pin?

chopandchange
April 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
(just try not to laugh too hard at my horrible southern accent, okay?) :p

I had to watch it just because you said "southern accent."

I've got a thing about Southern U.S. accents. I find them totally adorable. :D

EverydayMiracle
April 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
The style isn't for me, but the tutorial was great (and I didn't even notice the accent at all!). I had to comment though because my first thought was "oh my gosh her hair is gorgeous!" I love the wave that you got from the braids!

Do you get more wave from Dutch than from French?

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Great tutorial and your accent is wonderful! What is a euro pin? Is it like a bunhead pin?

Here's a detail shot of 3 "euro pins" - I had no idea what else to call them, that's the name on the kit they came in...

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/5315/5315457950e5874ff06483bd87caaaa7e9e1a3d.jpg

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The style isn't for me, but the tutorial was great (and I didn't even notice the accent at all!). I had to comment though because my first thought was "oh my gosh her hair is gorgeous!" I love the wave that you got from the braids!

Do you get more wave from Dutch than from French?

I get more wave from Dutch higher up because I can pull it tighter at the scalp - I guess because the hair goes under the braid and is pulled the other direction over the top I get more leverage? The length of the braid gets the same amount of wave for either - the tighter I plait, the kinkier it comes out. I like doing 2 Dutch braids for this style so I get lots of small frizzy waves...

EverydayMiracle
April 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I naturally have quite a bit of body in my hair, and it's naturally wavy as well, but I like to give it more form. The Dutch braids look terrible on me when they're in, but it looked like you got a lot of good wave from them. I will have to try. Thanks!

Bethie
April 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
That is a lovely hairstyle. Thanks for the video tutorial, I'll have to try it one day.. in the very distant future.

julliams
April 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I think it looks great. Your tutorial is really easy to follow and your hair looks amazing. Thanks.

Ma'am
April 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
What accent? o.O

Mine must be way worse, b/c I can't even tell you have one. !

ETA: If you came up with that on your own, you are a very clever girl.

LisaB234
April 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you for positing this - I LOVE the hairstyle! I don't have long enough hair yet, but have bookmarked your video (and your accent is minimal and pretty, not horrible at all!)

And as a side note, your hair is SO pretty When I saw those braid waves down I was in awe. Then the high ponytail with braid waves - you could stop there. THEN the giant bun - wow - so many great looks - this is a clever trick!

Ksenia
April 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Awesome! How do you prevent tangling when taking it down? I always find that when I attempt something involving a flipped ponytail or a half-looped ponytail (and this is kind of both) I risk breakage and tangles. Also, could you post a close-up of what the looper looks like? Any ideas on how to make one? I usually flip my ponytails by hand but then end up with a messy looking finish around the ponytail which I don't like.

I'd love to see more ideas for the fine-haired among us - all these dramatic styles that others have as their avatars just don't look right on me!

Alcenaia
April 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Great tutorial and cute style!

Long hair in Japanese is 長髪, pronounced chouhatsu. :flower:

Beets
April 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
You are too cute! I love the video.

And I think it's written into the Georgia State Constitution that you can't apologize for an Augusta accent.

pinkbunny
April 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Awesome! How do you prevent tangling when taking it down? I always find that when I attempt something involving a flipped ponytail or a half-looped ponytail (and this is kind of both) I risk breakage and tangles. Also, could you post a close-up of what the looper looks like? Any ideas on how to make one? I usually flip my ponytails by hand but then end up with a messy looking finish around the ponytail which I don't like.

I think it's because I use the looping tool that my hair doesn't tangle as much. I guess as far as making one, just get creative. If you have an old shoelace with a hard plastic end, cut it in half, sew the cut half back onto the shoelace in a loop-shape so you can use the hard end to "thread" it through your hair. Or if you have a tiny Dremel drill, poke a hole through the fat end of a chopstick and run a small ribbon or hairband through it. Or maybe just superglue it? (Just be sure it's smooth when you're finished!) You can always pull your ponytail most of the way through when making the loop (just don't flip the elastic over) and then comb the tail out so all the hair is lying flat, then pull the loop forward again to make the front puff. Mine doesn't tangle too badly because I make sure to pin my hair securely and I take it down carefully. I always use bobby pins with the round ends & I make sure those ends aren't loose or fallen off, so it doesn't pull, tangle, or break my hair.

I think I'll make a response video with detail shots of my hairtools, so I don't lose any lovely comments from the original video. ;) Here is the looping tool I found at my local flea market:
http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/5333/5333499c38c628ee6aa2e24e18e870f76de7a09.jpg

Great tutorial and cute style!

Long hair in Japanese is 長髪, pronounced chouhatsu. :flower:

Ah, wakarimashta! Domo arigatou gozaimasu! :D (lol I had to misspell wakarima****a because it gets censored! :rolleyes:)

lapushka
April 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Nicely done! I love buns that are done high on the head!

banglaminerva
April 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Beautiful bun! Thank you so much for sharing.

As for making the topsy-turvy thing, I made one a while ago by gutting a disposable pen so I just had the empty barrel (ink cartridge and end cap removed). Then, I threaded a folded piece of plastic cord so the loop hung out one end of the barrel and the knotted end hung out the other. Make sure the loop is long enough to go around your hair plus some extra room to move. I like the sturdiness of the pen barrel to poke through the ponytail.

I can't wait to try this bun!

KBG
April 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Awesome! aaagh..hopefully in several years.

It's beautiful! love the earrings too.

pinkbunny
April 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM
As for making the topsy-turvy thing, I made one a while ago by gutting a disposable pen so I just had the empty barrel (ink cartridge and end cap removed). Then, I threaded a folded piece of plastic cord so the loop hung out one end of the barrel and the knotted end hung out the other. Make sure the loop is long enough to go around your hair plus some extra room to move. I like the sturdiness of the pen barrel to poke through the ponytail.

Ooh, that's a good idea! Why didn't I think of a pen? :p lol

pinkbunny
May 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Ok so I finally uploaded a detail shots video! I'll be sure to include those in any future tutorials... lol

girloctopus
May 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I really want to give this style a try! I think it looks super cute.

pinkbunny
May 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I really want to give this style a try! I think it looks super cute.

Go for it! Pics or it didn't happen, though :p lol

ButterCream
May 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Thank you for a really good video pinkbunny!! You have such long and beautifull hair!! SO envious! In a good way that is lol:D:D

You are probably my haircolor twin, so consider yourself my hero, I can totally see my own haircolor will look good on me, even with my thin hair!
I was really inspired by your video!
Thankyouthankyouthankyou:cheese:

princessp
May 13th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Very cool thanks for sharing!

LadyVictoria
May 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Awesome vid, your hair it beautiful.

Oh & I am from GA too so I didn't even notice the accent, ;-). My DH grew up on a dairy farm in Cedartown, GA. His accent is so thick that I have to act as a translator for my friends when he talks to them, lol!

IcarusBride
May 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I totally, TOTALLY want to see one of the classic+ladies do Sailor Moon hairstyle, just once!!! Thanks for this tutorial, it looks really interesting!!! I also have suuper thin hair, so once it outgrows the shorter-hair odango methods, I will try it!