PDA

View Full Version : WWII Hair safety video

freznow
April 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I found this on a blog I frequent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgpvKXLTwr8

I thought it was interesting. Veronica Lake changed her signature 'do to promote safer hair styles in factories. Some of the workers even have safety caps!

marikamt
April 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Oh wow!! That was really cool!
thanks for posting.... am off to try to do a victory roll..... :D

Loreley
April 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it's interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing it! :)

Copasetic
April 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I LOVE these kinds of old school instructional videos. So fascinating!

AJoifulNoise
April 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. :)

Carolyn
April 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Very cool! Veronica Lake has always been one of my hair idols. The victory roll style was gorgeous.

NuclearMosquito
April 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Awesome video! Though I was almost waiting for Mike and the 'bots from MST3K to start making fun of it, lol.

dropinthebucket
April 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
"We can do it (and look good, too)! " (Rosie the Riveter) - this video was fun!

papillion
April 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting the link, it's perfect timing for me as I'm going to be in a WWII themed show next month. Of course, whether I'll actually be able to manage a period-appropriate style remains to be seen, but I'll certainly have fun trying!

Lady Mary
April 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I love that, thank you for sharing!

Alun
April 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I used to work with a guy who had cut his hair short after actually getting it caught in a drill press, similar to what the girl in the film is using. Needless to say, I never followed his example, although I used the same drill press from time to time. These days I would have just tied my hair back, but men just didn't do that back then (it was a long time ago, although I wasn't even born in WW2, LOL!), and my hair wasn't even long enough anyway. I don't recall anyone offering protective headgear to any employees. We weren't in a factory though, it was a test lab.

I found this 'related' video about the danger of women thinking!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_rlHv13sH4&feature=related

It's not real, it's a modern spoof by English comedian Harry Enfield, but there's no warning that it's a fake!

lilravendark
April 9th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I can't wait until my hair is long enough again for the veronica lake do :D I loves those 40's style hairdos