PDA

View Full Version : Is SOME breakage normal?

alwayssmiling
April 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hi Folks

Ok I was wondering. Do you get a small amound of breakage even though you treat your long hair like the proverbial antique lace and you are a hair angel?:)

The reason I ask, is that my breakage has been so severe in the past six months, I would notice 2-3inch pieces in the shower, on the floor and on my shoulders after styling. I have spend the past 6 months "babying" my hair and doing all the right things (I think :)). NOW the breakage has really started to reduce and I now can see some growth in my length :cheese:, however when I S&D I still may find 6+ hairs that have the dreaded white blobs, which I find so frustrating. I assumed that my hair is still fairly damaged for this to occur. However, my sister who has long beautiful hair says she has some breakage (she doesn't abuse). So I was wondering whether no breakage at all is an unrealistic goal? Are my standards too high or do I still have a way to go to get my hair back in shape.

TYIA :)

freckles
April 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I think that most people suffer from breakage to some extent. And unfortunately, some of us are just more prone to it than others, despite how well we treat out hair. While I still hope to improve my split ends and breakage, I'm pretty sure that I have split-prone hair, and I will always be dealing with splits/breakage no matter what I do. Honestly, it seems that your breakage has improved drastically, from what's written in your post, and 6 broken hairs sounds negligible to me (if only I could find just6 broken hairs :lol:). Sounds like you're doing great :D

Monsterkitti
April 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Although im planning on growing and eventually cutting out my pre LHC hair im always going to expect a few damaged hairs no matter how careful I am with it.

Anje
April 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I think it varies from person to person whether breakage is inevitable. Some folks have incredibly resilient hair and can abuse it without getting splits or breakage. Others (myself included) can be gentle, listen to their hair, and protect it, and still get splits. It's not fair, but it also doesn't mean that protecting the hair doesn't help.

It's up to you how much splitting you're willing to put up with, assuming that perfection is unobtainable. I seek to keep my spilts well under 10% of the hairs, and because my splits are usually higher than the ends, I trim simply to keep the ends sort of thick.

aef231
April 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I feel like at least a little bit of breakage is inevitable, although how much is dependent on the individual's hair. I think there's a lot you can do to minimize it, but a little bit is to be expected.

alwayssmiling
April 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Thank you for your replies.

Well it seems that my hair is pretty much normal now! lol. "Babying" will continue as normal, so hopefully.... beautiful hair by Christmas :wannabe: