PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Simpson goes natural for Marie Claire

SummerWarmth
April 7th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Since many of us don't wear make-up nor do we wash our hair or style it everyday...

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/jessica-goes-bare-for-marie-claire/430?nc

SummerWarmth
April 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I like Jessica's thinking: who cares?

Her untouched photos with no make-up (albeit professional photographer) were refreshing, to me at least.

VanillaTresses
April 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I liked it. Thanks for posting. :)

Beets
April 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Wow! This is GREAT! I so hope this is a trend. Those pictures are beautiful. But I agree with the author--the artsy lighting,careful obfuscation, and professional lens kept the pictures from looking as down-home as they might have been.

princessp
April 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
She is a natural beauty and I'm glad she did it. Don't mean to be a downer, but there is definitely still "retouching" in the lights and camera work.

Lady Mary
April 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
That's very interesting to me. I never thought of her as attractive but seeing her without the makeup, the orange tan, the photoshop... She is quite a pretty girl.

Aer
April 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I like her. I think when she first came in the hollywood limelight she was a kid, told to be skinny, sexy, and everything they basically whatever they told her to be. But I think time, and learning has really let her grow into quite an aware woman. I like her show too.

orbiting
April 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
the more I read about her, see her on TV, etc... the more I really like her. Those photos are beautiful. :) Thanks for sharing.

prosperina
April 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM
That's very interesting to me. I never thought of her as attractive but seeing her without the makeup, the orange tan, the photoshop... She is quite a pretty girl.

I agree. She looks good in those photos. Much better than some of her plasticy looks I saw a while back.

Peter
April 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Respect for that! She's really pretty.

Lady Mary
April 7th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I agree. She looks good in those photos. Much better than some of her plasticy looks I saw a while back.

I poked around on google for some older photos, "plasticy" really nails it. I guess that look is popular but I'm happy for her to be able to pose naturally, she looks much better, to me, this way.

Angela_Rose
April 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I say good on her! I've watched a couple of episodes of her VH1 show and it's fascinating.
She's a lovely girl, without or with makeup, and I think part of it is her seemingly kind soul gleaming through her shining eyes.

nellreno
April 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think she looks more beautiful in these pictures than in others where she's wearing a lot of makeup. I know the lighting and photography are still in her favor, but I like how refreshing her hair and skin look.

ukuleleclaire
April 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I think it's very pretty. Though a professional photographer and hair stylist were used, I admire her courage. She's received a lot of bad treatment by the media and it's good to see her looking beautiful and pushing it aside.

long.again
April 7th, 2010, 10:43 PM
That is wonderful. We need more women like her to look to.

Roseate
April 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
She looks pretty! I've never paid much attention to her before; in her normal done-up photos she often looks rather generic.

pennyroyal
April 7th, 2010, 11:37 PM
yea, i was thinking the same thing actually.
I would love to see so many other famous women do this!

TXbarbie
April 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Nice pictures but I still can't stand her.

IcarusBride
April 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I always liked her. She's very beautiful.
However, she's DEFINITELY wearing eyeliner in the picture on the cover. And looks like mascara too, possibly. The rest look natural.

Fethenwen
April 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM
^ Or she just has very thick eyelashes. Hard to tell.

My respect for her went from zero to ten (maybe not ten but..), and also she looks so much prettier in this picture than any other I've seen so far, amazing!

manderly
April 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
She looks lovely, thank you for sharing.

AnnaMarie
April 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Wow, she looks far more beautiful in these pics then any others I've seen of her

Dreams_in_Pink
April 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm sure she still has something on her face & hair there. At least she must have got a blowout in a salon.

But yeah, at least she no longer has those extensions and fake lashes (right??)

Flynn
April 8th, 2010, 02:04 AM
However, she's DEFINITELY wearing eyeliner in the picture on the cover. And looks like mascara too, possibly. The rest look natural.

I disagree. Look how deep and sharp all the shadows are in that picture. I think that what looks like eyeliner to you might just be the shadow of her eyelashes.

I'm sure she still has something on her face & hair there. At least she must have got a blowout in a salon.

But yeah, at least she no longer has those extensions and fake lashes (right??)

Again, I wouldn't be so sure. She's young (29) and has extremely good lighting. That's all you need.

hufsa
April 8th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I think it´'s the most beautiful I have seen her. She normally looks very "retoched".. I can't really tell if she really wears no makeup at all, but she looks natural and healthy :)

KittyLost
April 8th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I liked this :)

It was refreshing to see her without make-up but in all honesty there did not seem to be much of a difference! Lucky her!

Liss
April 8th, 2010, 03:28 AM
She is very pretty with a fresh, natural look.

I thought the last paragraph in the article was un-necessary. To me it contradicted the entire article and made a snarky stab at the whole idea of her doing the photo shoot. Of course there would be professional photographers, etc - it's for a magazine! The article stated that it was about her without makeup or photoshopping, and that is exactly what I saw. Maybe she has good skin because she is young and looks after it, maybe her lashes are dark because they've been dyed, anyway it looks refreshingly natural to me.

florenonite
April 8th, 2010, 03:40 AM
You know what's said? I didn't even recognise her. I've seen loads of pictures of her the way she normally looks, but natural? She looks totally different.

That said, good for her for doing this.

Tornerose
April 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM

I agree with you. To me it also looks like she has some kind of powder and lipgloss on.

hmmm
April 8th, 2010, 04:36 AM
She is a natural beauty and I'm glad she did it. Don't mean to be a downer, but there is definitely still "retouching" in the lights and camera work.

This is what I thought too when I saw those photos.
My next thought was 'I wonder what qualifies as makeup'. She is definitely wearing some. Her lip colour is pinker and shinier in one of the photos, lol.

Sammich
April 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM
She's gorgeous and I just want to hug her tightly for bringing reality to self conscious girls in society today. :)
She's got the guts!
I do find the last paragraph contradicting also, makes me annoyed because she seems like she really wants to make a difference; plus, even if she only wants to do it for her show... she's still changing the minds of many young girls due to her doing it bare.
Gives them ideas to go face nude too. ;)

Idun
April 8th, 2010, 06:02 AM
In my opinion she is definitely wearing make-up in all the photos. They say it is most difficult for the make-up artist to do a "bare" face convincingly, but this magazine can probably afford the best ;).

Shouldn´t "going natural" include getting rid of those bleach blond locks as well?

jivete
April 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
She does look gorgeous in those pictures. Thanks for sharing!

SHELIAANN1969
April 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I think she's pretty, with or without makeup. of course, I am partial to no makeup as I have gone natural since I was about 15. I did makeup from around 11-15, then quit wearing it completely. I tried it a few times after that but I hate the cakey feeling.

If people want to be natural, or if they want to wear makeup, no one should interfere. We all have our likes and dislikes and shouldn't let society force us into doing what we don't want to. :)

jennyjukes
April 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM
http://www.imnotobsessed.com/image/jesseatsalad2.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/niksweet/jessica_simpson-no_makeup_02.jpg
http://static.entertainmentwise.com/gallery/JESSWITHWITHOUT11.jpg
http://gregorymoine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jessica-simpson.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-a430ttVNUo/SSCgsLWQXBI/AAAAAAAAABk/6Xs4_Q8d9V0/s400/jessica_simpson_groceries_rough_00.jpg
http://wdbo.com/images/photos/simpson_splash.jpg

mod ETA: pleas note On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939).

some without make-up/editing and special photographers, hell i'd be happy to look that way on a good day. thing is most these websites with these pictures are criticising her when ther is nothing wrong with her at ALL. it's no wonder so many people put themselves down when naturally gorgeous woman are said to be "ugly"

skarab
April 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Whether or not she's wearing some makeup here, there's no doubt that it's less than usual and the images don't have that plasticky feel of the typical photoshopping levels. I've actually never found her attractive before, but here she looks quite pretty. I think attractiveness has so much to do with those little micro-expressions that come through the eyes and the lines around the face. I don't mind photoshopping to cover up zits or whatnot, but when it takes away from a person's true, dynamic appearance that's surely a bad thing?

shadowclaw
April 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM
First off, I never knew that Jessica Simpson ever got "fat." I googled "mom jeans" because I had no idea what they were talking about, and I was really shocked at what people had to say about her wearing high-waisted jeans and being a few pounds heavier. Personally, I always thought high-waisted pants looked best on really skinny people, not "over-weight moms" as one website put it. So I really don't understand what the problem is with her wearing them. Plus, I really can't tell if she any heavier in those photos, because A) I never really paid much attention to what she looked like, B) I never cared anyway, and C) she's still skinny in my opinion.

As for the Marie Claire photos, she looks beautiful, and much better than in photos of her slathered in makeup. I also like her lack of tan. To me, it doesn't look like she's wearing any makeup except for something on her lips. Perhaps she is wearing lip balm? Even famous people get dry lips.

I don't really see eyeliner on her, either. Her one eye lid looks a little dark on the magazine cover, but I think it's just the lighting. Her skin looks nice because she uses Proactiv... that stuff works pretty good.

And whoever said she must have blow dried her hair, I don't know why you think that. It looks pretty air dried to me.

I also didn't like that last paragraph. It was kind of a low-blow and completely ruined the positive tone of the article. But the writers for OMG usually have something bitter and rude to say.

*Aoife*
April 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
There is something on her lips. Maybe its just lipbalm. She looks really nice though. I don't think it shoule be called fully natural or anything because it was a profesional photographer and who knows what was done with the lights.

The bit about her hairdresser helping her airdry her hair? How does that work?

nicolezoie
April 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I didn't know what the fuss was over Jessica Simpson after seeing her on TV too many times, but when I saw her straight on in some ad in the window of a 7-11 it struck me what she has going for her, makeup or not, "a few extra lbs" or not is that her facial features are strikingly symmetrical.

Copasetic
April 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Its quite clear that she is wearing makeup in this picture. It is toned down obviously, but it is still there. I would say she is definitely wearing brow liner, eye liner, blush, and high lighter. There might be mascara in there too.

I like the toned down look, but I don't like it when magazines lie!

melrose1985
April 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM
the pictures i saw on Yahoo.com we very pretty. I almost think i like it more then when she's all done up with hair and make up.

merryhair
April 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Well, I think she looks really pretty.:)

shadowclaw
April 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Just to add a few more cents to the discussion, the things that I saw coming up in this thread are that she must be wearing eyeliner, possbily some sort of powder foundation, and something on her lips.

But is everyone aware that some people naturally look like this? I had a friend in high school who wore zero makeup and she looked like she was wearing brown eyeliner and mascara. Her eyes were just perfect in their natural state. Thick eyelashes with just the right color do give the illusion of makeup.

And my skin is not perfect at all... in fact it has many imperfections, but I can take a picture of myself with skin that looks just as nice as hers. I just need the right amount of natural light.

The lips... well, they could go either way. I do think she might be wearing lip balm, which may or may not be considered makeup.

I think many of us are having a hard time believing that she looks that pretty naturally is because we haven't been photographed by a great photographer in great lighting conditions.

kabelaced
April 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
A lot of celebs I've seen without makeup (Cameron Diaz and other people the paparazzi magazines have stalked) look really horrible, but Jessica didn't look half bad. If you've ever watched No Doubt's video "Underneath It All," there's a part in there where Gwen isn't wearing any make up (or at least it looks like it), and she actually looks really cute.

I think the whole concept is nice, but I'm cynical that this will create any lasting change. It's a good PR move for Jessica, though. :D

Zombiekins
April 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Again, I wouldn't be so sure. She's young (29) and has extremely good lighting. That's all you need.

Being friends with a professional photographer teaches you all you need to know about lights, cameras, lenses, and photoshop. Most people are completely in the dark as to how flattering a good light set up is. Using my point-n-shoot camera flash makes me look like **** without makeup. Some alien bees (http://alienbees.com/) and a decent photographer? Shiit, I can go without makeup all day long and look great (silly faces and blinky eyes aside :p).

eta - Not to say she can't be wearing anything, just that people shouldn't underestimate a good photoshoot set up. And she's probably wearing a good moisturizer and maybe lip balm. But do those things count as makeup?

BrightEyes7
April 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I love her... not her music per se. But I think she is a funny person, based on what I've seen on TV/ read, who doesn't take all the glitz and glamour of Hollywood too seriously! She seems really down to earth!

Naters
April 8th, 2010, 12:52 PM
wow, thanks for the post! she is so gorgeous without makeup. I really like Jessica Simpson, and I think shes a great role model for all women.

PadmeAmidala
April 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Well, normally, I don't like her that much, but without all the make-up, she actually looks pretty!

Buddaphlyy
April 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Meh, whatever. Jessica Simpson is a beautiful woman, period. There were plenty of times on her show "Newlyweds" where she was filmed without makeup so this IMHO is really no big deal.

I'm an avid reader of Marie Claire so I would be getting this issue anyway.

Unofficial_Rose
April 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Even prettier than when she's all 'done up'. Bet she has dark eyelashes naturally as she has brown eyes. Obviously she has nothing to fear from being photographed without makeup. :)

I agree with the person who said that all the stuff they put on female celebs/photoshopping makes them look generic. I've looked at magazine covers and not been sure who it is at first glance. :confused:

florenonite
April 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I agree with the person who said that all the stuff they put on female celebs/photoshopping makes them look generic. I've looked at magazine covers and not been sure who it is at first glance. :confused:

I've done that, too, even with people I've seen quite a lot in films or on TV, and would expect to recognise.