PDA

View Full Version : Warm-weather Hair Doldrums Support Thread

Oskimosa
April 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
In the past, I've always noticed that in the warmer months, fashions tend toward short, fresh haircuts to theoretically keep cool in the heat. Lighter hair colors or highlights are also pushed. Most of my life I've followed this unconsciously for whatever reason. The past two years I ignored them because I was fairly new to hennaing, my hair wasn't anywhere near what I'd consider long, and really I had just embarked on the length goal.

This past week I saw some old photos of myself (when I was thinner) with my natural blonde color . I also saw photos of myself with my old standby short shag and how flattering those face-framing layers are. Bangs, too!

Right now I'm 2/3rds the way to my goal; I'll get there this year. Nothing would make less sense than cutting. I don't want to, really. But I find myself (and I'm sure many others may chime in feeling the same way right about now) incredibly BORED with my hair. Nothing is more lovely to me than the way henna looks on my hair, but I have actually been thinking about going back to blonde! Or cutting bangs, or layers. As if I don't have enough trouble with the layers I have!

My hair refuses to do most updos because of the layers I already have. I'm just plain bored with my hair, although I'm sure I'm on the right track. Help please?? Also, I'd love to hear from other members battling this same issue.

Kristin
April 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Oh my gosh, I've been thinking the same thing! On the way home from work tonight, I thought, "Gee, my hair used to look so nice when I had fresh layers cut..." Now my layers and bangs are growing out and I feel like a shaggy dog.

I've also had the lightening bug. I tried using honey to lighten my hair, but I'm pretty sure it will take forever on my dark hair. My aunt (a pro stylist) could easily lighten it a shade or two in a couple hours...

I feel your pain.:o

EverydayMiracle
April 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm really lucky in that, generally speaking, layers aren't flattering for me. My sister has cut my hair the last few times and she has (thankfully) refused to go "too" short, which means that those face-flattering layers haven't been so flattering. A short shag does the best to flatter the shape of my face.

Oh, and I've never gone blond since I was natural as a child.

Where I am going to struggle is with the heat. I am not wearing my hair in pony tails any more because of its tendency to "crimp" where the holder rested against my hair. I also pull out too much hair when I remove them. This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum since my hair isn't long enough (yet) for most updos.

Typically I wear my hair in dual french braids, since this is the most flattering look for my square jaw that I can achieve. I think I'll be okay in the heat with this style this summer if I don't wear my typical veil (opting for a shorter veil). Otherwise I'm going to have to put it in a bun every day and I don't think that will make DH very happy.

bumblebums
April 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
How short are we talking about? Cuz in my experience, only two kinds of hair really work in hot weather: a pixie cut, or hair long enough to put up. I don't think bobs look all that great with wavy hair (though I'm sure people will disagree with me)--I see your hair is wavy, which in the summer requires more styling because of humidity. The other problem with short hair is that it doesn't work well if you get sweaty or go swimming. So I'm not going back there...

All of this is to say--I think you might regret it if you decide to cut! The layers-in-updos problem is not insurmountable. There are so many options that go beyond twisted buns. Even a simple English braid works great in hot weather. Anything, really, as long as the hair isn't dangling loose all over your neck and shoulders.

I don't have much of an opinion about summer haircolor... Except, isn't it supposed to be pretty difficult to go from henna-red all the way to blond hair?

my2cats1
April 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sounds like you're just in a general hair funk right now. :p That happens to me about once a year (often in the spring!) I've found that it is usually a sign that I need a little variety -- for example, I'll play with color-depositing conditioners for different tones, or experiment with (no-heat) curlers for a different texture. After a few weeks of change, I forget my earlier urge to cut it all off.

Roseate
April 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I think it's something about the spring... I've been a bit disenchanted with my hair lately too.

The changing weather activates all kinds of frizz, and I came across an old picture of my hair at about this length, but heat-styled- it looked great, I have to say. I don't even know where my flat-iron is anymore, but wherever it is, it's calling my name!

Oskimosa
April 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Oh my gosh, I've been thinking the same thing! On the way home from work tonight, I thought, "Gee, my hair used to look so nice when I had fresh layers cut..." Now my layers and bangs are growing out and I feel like a shaggy dog.

I've also had the lightening bug. I tried using honey to lighten my hair, but I'm pretty sure it will take forever on my dark hair. My aunt (a pro stylist) could easily lighten it a shade or two in a couple hours...

I feel your pain.:o

Glad to know I'm not alone!

I'm really lucky in that, generally speaking, layers aren't flattering for me. My sister has cut my hair the last few times and she has (thankfully) refused to go "too" short, which means that those face-flattering layers haven't been so flattering. A short shag does the best to flatter the shape of my face.

Oh, and I've never gone blond since I was natural as a child.

Where I am going to struggle is with the heat. I am not wearing my hair in pony tails any more because of its tendency to "crimp" where the holder rested against my hair. I also pull out too much hair when I remove them. This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum since my hair isn't long enough (yet) for most updos.

Typically I wear my hair in dual french braids, since this is the most flattering look for my square jaw that I can achieve. I think I'll be okay in the heat with this style this summer if I don't wear my typical veil (opting for a shorter veil). Otherwise I'm going to have to put it in a bun every day and I don't think that will make DH very happy.

See, that's where I'm coming from; layers flatter me. Long hair, not as much. But I want it anyway!

How short are we talking about? Cuz in my experience, only two kinds of hair really work in hot weather: a pixie cut, or hair long enough to put up. I don't think bobs look all that great with wavy hair (though I'm sure people will disagree with me)--I see your hair is wavy, which in the summer requires more styling because of humidity. The other problem with short hair is that it doesn't work well if you get sweaty or go swimming. So I'm not going back there...

All of this is to say--I think you might regret it if you decide to cut! The layers-in-updos problem is not insurmountable. There are so many options that go beyond twisted buns. Even a simple English braid works great in hot weather. Anything, really, as long as the hair isn't dangling loose all over your neck and shoulders.

I don't have much of an opinion about summer haircolor... Except, isn't it supposed to be pretty difficult to go from henna-red all the way to blond hair?

I would DEFINITELY regret it, I'm sure. I always used to get a shoulder-length shag. My waves conform to whatever I cut my hair to, so they always look so cute that length. And no, it doesn't really help with staying cool! It's just an illusion :magic: Getting the henna out would be detrimental to my hair. I know. I've thought about lightening it up to a strawberry color and letting the light ash blonde come out.

Braids are extremely uncomfortable; they're so heavy and stiff no matter what I do. Thus the whining :)

Sounds like you're just in a general hair funk right now. :p That happens to me about once a year (often in the spring!) I've found that it is usually a sign that I need a little variety -- for example, I'll play with color-depositing conditioners for different tones, or experiment with (no-heat) curlers for a different texture. After a few weeks of change, I forget my earlier urge to cut it all off.

Texture change, hmm?? :hmm: Might be worth a shot!

Anyone else feeling the need for a change without wrecking your goal?

sapphire-o
April 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Ooh I've been wanting some bangs like crazy. I've grown it out years ago and now I want it back. The thing is the hair in the front never seem to grow very long, so I have a perpetual bangs anyway, except it's not neat when it's not trimmed. I'm trying to wait for two weeks. :D

Bonkers57
April 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm more than ready for some bangs - my head looks like an egg with all the hair pulled back :laugh: But if I don't pull them back I look like a sheepdog. Short bangs have always looked better on me because they aren't thick enough to look good longer. I'll leave the rest of my hair as it is :)

Ooh I've been wanting some bangs like crazy. I've grown it out years ago and now I want it back. The thing is the hair in the front never seem to grow very long, so I have a perpetual bangs anyway, except it's not neat when it's not trimmed. I'm trying to wait for two weeks. :D

countryhopper
April 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I liked the way my side swept bangs looked, but not the part where my forehead would sweat and make my bangs look greasy and stringy. And the only way I'd make them work for a short while at least was by washing them every day and drying with a blow fryer. So I am slowly growing them out; they're just not worth the hassle (to me anyway).

beez1717
April 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Omg!!! I'm going to have an awesome summer. My hair will finally be able to flow in the breeze!!! I'm super excited!

Oskimosa
April 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Beez, I've been looking forward to that forever! :p

Since I put this up, I have been cycling through wondering if I should cut about 6 inches off to remove all the layers and split ends. Bah. When in doubt, do nothing, right?

Bonkers and Sapphire-o, please post pics if you end up getting bangs! I've been thinking about those too! (There isn't anything I haven't been thinking about doing to my hair, if you're wondering.)

beez1717
April 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Beez, I've been looking forward to that forever! :p

Since I put this up, I have been cycling through wondering if I should cut about 6 inches off to remove all the layers and split ends. Bah. When in doubt, do nothing, right?

Bonkers and Sapphire-o, please post pics if you end up getting bangs! I've been thinking about those too! (There isn't anything I haven't been thinking about doing to my hair, if you're wondering.)

Aww thanks for the comment. It means so much to me :D and I'd also love to see those pics.

sarah061
April 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
For some reason the summer always makes me wish my hair was longer. I think it's from seeing so many magazines that feature gorgeous girls frolicking along beaches with long damp hair and beachy waves. *sigh* By next summer my hair should finally be at waist length and I can be one of them :)