PDA

View Full Version : Too much leave-in/oil, what do you do?

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Many leave-ins, particularly oils, seem to have an elusive "just enough" point which varies from day to day. So if you put too much on, what do you usually do?

Leisha
May 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I just put my hair up (or braid it) and leave it, the oil will absorb by the next day, or if I've been especially generous, the day after that :lol:
Then I get some cheese and read LHC ;)

Euphony
May 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I wash every two to three days anyway, so I just don't worry about it. I did wash yesterday and today put in a bit too much coconut oil...it looks okay, it's down right now. But it might start bothering me so I've got oodles of hair toys in my purse that like to play in my hair, I'll pick one soon I'm sure :grin:

Koskaan
May 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I leave it alone until next wash. My hair is on a bun or a braid anyway, so it doesn't matter. Actually, I've had an excessive amount of EVOO in my hair (from shoulders down) since May 2nd. I'll wash it off tonight.

spidermom
May 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I wash every 3-4 days anyway, so usually the next wash is soon enough. My hair can look hideously oily one day, and the next day most of it will have been absorbed, so I never worry about too much oil. I like having a little extra in the bottom third of my length anyway, else it gets dry and crackly feeling.

lora410
May 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I jsut throw it up until the next wash.

swanns
May 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'll just was it the next day. Can't go with oily hair till the next actual wash (I wash about every three days), but it's not like I have to wash immediately I notice not all of it did come off.

freznow
May 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just ignore it. It soaks up fast anyways.

florenonite
May 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I put it up and see what it's like the following morning. If it's still bad I'll wash it, if it's fine I'll leave it.

Gumball
May 5th, 2008, 01:46 PM
It'll get absorbed eventually so I just do whatever I normally do with it. That seems to work just fine and I don't get too ornery about it. :) It also means I get to smell a little more like coconut for a little while longer. I enjoy that smell so there isn't really any complaining from me!

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, if anyone uses something to absorb the excess oil (I noticed someone voted this), what do you use? I'd be curious for the times when I really want hair to look acceptable while loose now.

Kirin
May 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
i oil at night and wash in the morning daily so its never a problem :)

nastasska
May 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
If I overdo it I just keep getting greasier till I wash it again:(

lookingglass
May 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Put it up and call it a deep tx for me!

harley mama
May 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I just braid my hair and stop looking in the mirror! Problem solved! HA!

AJoifulNoise
May 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I had this happen to me recently. I CO every day, but that didn't take it out. So I just wore it up until the next shampoo day (which was several days away).

Nat242
May 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Eh. My hair is being very picky at the moment, rejecting conditioner, honey and aloe. I'm trying to figure out a new routine, which often involves hair being too dry so I overdo the coconut oil, or hair being an oil-slick from a failed conditioning experiment. I keep my bangs clean and just keep it up until the next wash, which is every second day usually anyway.

-- Natalie

Gutterfayrie
May 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I put it up until the next wash day (I was every other day) so It doesn't really bother me to much

mira-chan
May 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If too much oil, it goes up in braided styles till the next wash.

swanns
May 6th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ooops I think I just did this, put way too much oil on my hair last night, washed in the morning but when it dried it was still greasy as :disgust: Wasn't going to wash again but mum had warmed the sauna so I thought I might as well go and wash my hair, too. I'm not sure if I still got all the oil off though.

Loviatar
May 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I just put it up and CO it out the next day :shrug: but I voted cheese because I probably would do that, too.

KaeleyAnne
May 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I usually just wear my hair up so that the oiliness isn't as noticeable. My hair can usually use the extra moisture anyways. Generally the oil will absorb by the second day or so (I'm washing my hair every 3-4 days right now). If I've really added too much, I'll mist my hair with water every time that I brush/comb, and that helps hide the oil.

Anlbe
May 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think it's really possible to over oil my hair that badly. Even when I deep oil overnight by the following morning it sort of looks fine and that's after seven/eight days since the last wash, over oiling clean hair has never actually happened but I voted put it up and leave it alone because I guess that is what I would do if I did manage to over oil it.

Leisa
May 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM
:)I voted wash it immediately...lol

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Oh, man. I tell this story all the time, but the first time I did a "heavy oiling" was a DISASTER.

My hair was reallllly dry at the time, so when I put a small amount of (virgin coconut oil) on it, it just seemed to drink it up. I put a little more on, and the same thing happened. So then I full-on SLATHERED it all over, to the point where my hair looked wet.

Fortunately, it was a weekend and I had a huge project for school that I had to work on, so I didn't go out as much I normally might have. I just put this do-rag thing on my head all weekend. I even went out to eat with it on. I stuck to my usual wash schedule, and let me tell you, it took more than one wash cycle to get all the oil out. After the first wash, it was at least presentable enough if I pulled it back into a bun.

Jeesh. I have learned that my hair needs to be DAMP before I oil it. And also that SLATHERING IS BAD.

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I put it up and don't worry about it. I'll wash it when I get around to it.

Hmmm, that cheese sure sounds yummy right now, too bad I just finished the last of my wine. Yummm, cheese and wine with LHC!

Phalaenopsis
May 31st, 2008, 07:17 AM
Wash it immediately, I can't stand the feel of greasy lengths. It really creeps me out.

eadwine
May 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Same as Phalaenopsis, less the creepie bits. It just looks dirty.

Sarahmoon
May 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
It depends. If I use a little too much jojoba oil just before going to bed, I just leave it there and it's looking ok the next morning. If it's way too much of, whatever, (like in the past a few times with olive oil) I try to hide it and wash it on the next occasion.

Gladtobemom
May 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM
I actually over oil on purpose sometimes.

If I've clarified, I over oil a bit after it dries. Then I braid and just wait. The next day my hair is manageable again (meaning it won't crawl out of a bun.

So I just wait and maybe comb my hair. It absorbs after a bit.

Riot Crrl
May 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Bun and CO out the next day. But actually, if I decide to bun then I usually add MORE so it can treat my hair and not look too gross while doing it.

froglet
June 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Looks like (so far) leaving it to soak in is in the majority. That's what I do, my hair tends to be pretty thirsty. It takes a good amout of "oops" with the oil before it shows on my head. It almost always soaks in.

ZaBasDa
June 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
The only time I'd leave my hair over-oiled is during the weekend. Otherwise it will get washed that night, or sooner if I have to be somewhere where I need to look nice.

I really hate the oily feeling. And I have been known to use talc on my hair if it's straight and I oiled it too much.

Sakura07
June 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I just put it up. A little extra leave in or oil never really hurt anything, it just might help in the long run.

kwaniesiam
June 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
If I have an overly oily day, if possible I don't leave the house and just give my hair the treat to absorb. If I do have to go somewhere I'll wash my hair, since its thin and fine it looks very yucky and my scalp shows through a lot if it gets too oily.

Loreyanne_H
June 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'd just put them up in a bun and stay home reading TLHC.

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Eat cheese & read LHC. Cures a lot of things, dontcha know.

Angharad
August 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds like an everyday experience to me! I tend to go over the top with oils as leave-in so I wear it in a bun or one braid. For my work it is also more convenient to wear my hair in an updo so the choice is easy!

Flynn
August 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
What is this "too much"? If you can see it when it is down, put it up and call it a heavy oiling treatment! >_o

Rhiannon7
August 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM
i'm starting to think i use too much oil. but i like how it feels 24 hours after oiling, looks shiny and so soft.

Carolyn
August 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Oh gosh, that's happened to me so many times. My usual solution is to wear my hair up or in a braid that day and wash it again the next day. It's not a big deal. It happens.

Jinx2234
August 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
When I use too much oil I usually just put my hair up and forget about it since it will absorb in eventually. I kind of see occasions where I overoil as being unplanned deep oil treatments.

Komodia
August 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
lol this happened to me today. i just brushed my hair, put a bit of water on it and simply braided it. i dont use leave ins on my roots, so that solved it.

11eleven
August 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I would just put my hair up and leave it untill the next wash.

I just started the whole oiling business. I have done it three times so far on dry hair the night before a wash and my hair looked fairly wet. When I wash I notice that there is a slight amount of oil that seems to be left. so I'm just wondering how much oil are you actually supposed to use and is it used on wet or dry hair, pre or post wash?

Laylah
August 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I've done this on numerous occasions, mostly when damp-oiling after a wash, because it's hard to tell how much oil I already added....In that case I just braid it and after a day or two it will be fixed :) I'd never wash my hair more than once a week, unless something dangerous to either my hair or my health got in it. Lol, I am a bit paranoid about damage.

paintedmuse
August 30th, 2009, 06:45 AM
If this happens I put my hair up every day until the next wash day(usually 3-4 days away). It's so hot here right now, I rarely wear my hair down at the moment anyway :)

Marika
August 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I do this all the time especially with oil. I just put my hair up (as always) and leave it until the next wash. I wash every other day, so over-oiling is no big deal.

Copasetic
August 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I just put my hair up, and in a few hours it will be fine. It almost impossible for me to apply too much product. My hair just sucks it all up.

EtherealOde
August 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I guess for me it depends on the time of day and if I need my hair to look its best or not. In most cases, I will just braid it or put it into a new sock bun and wait until I planned to wash next. If I am wanting to look especially good because of plans for something social, I'll just do a water rinse (if it's only lightly over-oiled) or a CO wash (if the oil is really extra-heavy). A couple of times my husband has surprised me when coming home by saying he wants to go out somewhere nice for dinner, so I've learned to either do heavier oilings in the evening before bed, or first thing in the morning so it has all day to soak in.

Tomato
September 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
The leave- in i' m currently using has a rather intense smell when I'm used to much... so it'd be washing asap. To much oil (if it's not dripping :D) doesn't bother me that much, I go for an updo which hides the greasy spots, my hair can then just absorb the oil, like an oil treament.

Nanni
September 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
I usually just leave it in and put it up in a bun. If the scalp is greasy as well, I put on a headband or a silk scarf to cover the greasiest part. I'll clean it out the next day or so, whenever I've got time

Monsterkitti
September 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM
I usually just leave it in updos till either it sinks in or till my next wash. My hairs usually up so it doesnt make a huge amount of difference :)

Heavenly Locks
September 1st, 2009, 05:19 AM
It depends on what else I'm doing that day. :) I've done all the options, so I checked them all.

consarnit
September 1st, 2009, 11:04 PM
I have never really worn my hair down, so I just leave it up until I wash it next which could be up to a fortnight.

JamieLeigh
September 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I just put it up and forget about it. I wear it up 95% of the time anyway, so nobody would ever notice it, lol. :p Besides in this heat, I'm sure my hair could use the extra moisture.

deko
September 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
If I use too much leave-ins I just bun it up, wash the next washing-day and try to use a little less next time.

thankyousir74
September 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I just put it up, my hair is always so thirsty!

windinherhair
September 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I voted leave it in because sometimes I have thought that I have gotten too much oil in my hair and it has absorbed. I usually only put oil in my hair when I started putting it up until wash day, so it isn't like I am leaving it down looking too oily.

CurlyGirlCa
September 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Oiling daily is pretty new (I've oiled as a deep treatment before a wash) but trying to use oils more than silicone products so sometimes overdo it. Right now it's so hot in California, that I've been putting it up everyday so over-oiling doesn't seem to matter and my hair's been real soft.

emeraldfaery
September 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
I just bun or braid it and let it soak in until my next wash. If it looks really oily I throw a bandana on it and leave it alone.

Rentlle
September 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
hide!!!
XD
realy can't stand my hair being greasy.. :p
I'll wash it as soon as possible :)

Savvyhorsez
September 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
After a matter of hours or overnight I wash it, but it doesn't really wash out all the way unless I use a lot of shampoo.

renarok
September 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
My hair will absorb large quantities of oil, so I will bun it up and the next day my hair is back to normal.

GlassEyes
September 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Really can't happen unless I'm TRYING to use too much, oil OR leave-in. Leave0in I can pile on until my hair is covered in foam, and then it'll look great dry. Oil, I can use less of, but it takes a good palmful of olive-oil to make me even look a -tiny- bit greasy, so I REALLY have to try for it.

Kris Dove
September 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
If I'm going out somewhere, I'll wash immediately as my blonde, fine hair looks horrible if it's too oily.

However, if I'm staying in I'll just put it up and wash it before I next to go out... it might do my hair good?

LittleOrca
September 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I tend to be really careful about adding my oils to my hair and If I know I am not doing anything the rest of the day, I put it up, let it absorb into my hair, and will wash it the next day. :)

QueenAnne'sLace
September 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Put it up in a bun for the day and it makes my hairstick oh so soft!

nmarie33
September 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
OK friends, I'm glad I saw this thread because I have SERIOUSLY over-oiled. I was doing WO for several months and felt nasty, so I bought some Indian herbs to wash my hair. Now you would think that I wouldn't be so idiotic as to completely slather up my head in coconut oil first, but you would be wrong. So I left the herbs on overnight, and the oil wasn't even close to washed out. A couple days ago I tried again with the herbs...it was better but the length is still soooo nasty.

It's really like almost wet it's so greasy. I don't want to shampoo my hair. What would you all do...just leave it up for a few more days and hope it soaks in some? Herb it up again? Ugh it's a good thing I'm in the "leave your hair up for x days" challenge because I would be totally unpresentable without an updo right now.

Kris Dove
September 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
OK friends, I'm glad I saw this thread because I have SERIOUSLY over-oiled. I was doing WO for several months and felt nasty, so I bought some Indian herbs to wash my hair. Now you would think that I wouldn't be so idiotic as to completely slather up my head in coconut oil first, but you would be wrong. So I left the herbs on overnight, and the oil wasn't even close to washed out. A couple days ago I tried again with the herbs...it was better but the length is still soooo nasty.

It's really like almost wet it's so greasy. I don't want to shampoo my hair. What would you all do...just leave it up for a few more days and hope it soaks in some? Herb it up again? Ugh it's a good thing I'm in the "leave your hair up for x days" challenge because I would be totally unpresentable without an updo right now.Perhaps rinsing with ACV might help?

Sissy
September 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I voted "drop everything and wash it again" because that's what I'd have to do if it was a work day. I work in a profession where I have to look half-way decent at least. If it was a non-work day I'd def. leave it alone and live with it till it absorbs :) I'm not really vain, but when it comes to being out in public at work... I couldn't take that.