PDA

View Full Version : Mini braid bun tutorial, for SL-APL hair :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Here comes a bun invention that's simple yet effective. This isn't the best idea to wear hair during the day (lol) but it's good to sport some fancy hairsticks with a bun-proof length of hair.

Your hair should be exactly between SL and APL and no longer than APL, i guess. It's basically a little braid curled upward to form a minimal bun shape.

This is what you start with, a regular english braid :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=68726

It'd be better if you secured the ends with a matching small tie, to aid in covering.

Now, you'll just curl the ends upwards and inwards (i hope that made sense) so that ends (and the tie) will be hidden by a few bumps of the braid. Secure with 1 or 2 hairsticks (or a fork).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=68727
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4582&pictureid=68728

Rennire
April 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cute! I think that it makes your hair look longer (Or at least like you have more of it!) =)

Ravenne
April 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Ooh. I'll have to try this. My braid's still not long enough to make a proper bun, but this may work... Hm... :D Thanks! Your hair looks fabulous in this style.

Bast
April 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Oooo...going to have to try this. Thanks for putting this up!

paperwhite
April 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM
That's really cute! I wonder if I could tug on the sides of my braid to make it a little wider and flatter, then roll up and secure...I think I'll go try it, thanks for the idea! :)

XcaliburGirl
April 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cool, I've been wanting to use my hair sticks again. Thanks!

bumblebums
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I do this one all the time :) If you use a Flexi-8, it holds great even without a hair tie. It's by far the sturdiest updo at my current length.

mwedzi
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
cool! Thanks, I'll try.

freckles
April 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
very cool! :)

Aliped
April 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I do this one all the time :) If you use a Flexi-8, it holds great even without a hair tie. It's by far the sturdiest updo at my current length.
Me too! I use hair sticks to secure the braid in a bun and a couple of bobby pins for the end of the tail and it is my most trustworthy and dependably secure up do.:)

AbruptlyWanderi
April 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I do that with my little sister's hair! It can be very fancy, if you use the right accessories.

MissMandyElizab
April 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hay that's really cute! I think i give it a try.

redneckprincess
April 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
cute...i have to many layers for that but I could try it on my DD

MandyBeth
April 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
My hair won't agree to a braid yet. However, DBF's hair is long enough to braid, so I just tried this on him. Not his style, but I think I'm going to like it once my hair grows out more.

Thanks!!!

little_cherry
April 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Awesome! *runs off to play with hair*

You truly are an inspiration to us shoulder length peeps out there! :)

Bethie
April 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Ooo... I must try this... in about 5 or so inches

walterSCAN
April 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Ooo! That bun is so pretty!

It almost makes me wish my hair was shorter so I could try it... :hmm: I wonder if I could come up with something that looks similar at my length...

long.again
April 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
For longer hair, there is a similar style called the Masara: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k

Now that we are all here with similar length (which IMO sucks because it's just too short to do anything amazing). What other styles are you doing? I have a album of my hair styles at this length (collarbone).

countryhopper
April 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM
If you secure this with an EZcomb, it looks really cute, too!

For those with hair still too short to do this, how about trying a half up version? That will still look cute!!

Loreley
April 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM
It looks lovely! :blossom:

Dreams_in_Pink
April 8th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks everyone!

If you use a Flexi-8, it holds great even without a hair tie. It's by far the sturdiest updo at my current length.

I don't own a flexi8 (i wish i owned one, they're so beautiful!)

Awesome! *runs off to play with hair*

You truly are an inspiration to us shoulder length peeps out there! :)

Awwww thank you!! You're so sweet! :o

For longer hair, there is a similar style called the Masara: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k

Now that we are all here with similar length (which IMO sucks because it's just too short to do anything amazing). What other styles are you doing? I have a album of my hair styles at this length (collarbone).

Yep i know the masara, i even considered naming it "mini masara" or something but then i didn't want to use someone's name without permission :o

Well, i'm not an updo person really. If i'm gonna have it up, i always do french rope or something that looks really cool because no updo can look cooler than loose hair at this length :) (at least on my frizzy coarse hair, all the buns, including this one, looks bad :( )

hmmm
April 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM
This is so adorable! Thank you!!!

Dimitri'sMom
April 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM
This style suits you perfectly! I've tried it and, alas, my hair is too slippery and thin to work with the sticks. I can do it with a Goody clip but even then my hair is slipping out and an hour later I look like an escapee from a hot kitchen.

countryhopper
April 8th, 2010, 06:26 AM
This style suits you perfectly! I've tried it and, alas, my hair is too slippery and thin to work with the sticks. I can do it with a Goody clip but even then my hair is slipping out and an hour later I look like an escapee from a hot kitchen.

Have you tried securing the minibun with bobby pins and adding the sticks just for decoration?

MandyBeth
April 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM
If you secure this with an EZcomb, it looks really cute, too!

For those with hair still too short to do this, how about trying a half up version? That will still look cute!!

For hair just a wee too short, if you start the braid and work the braid "up", it tucks up pretty well. Still got some bits falling out, but that's normal in my hair.

long.again
April 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
at least on my frizzy coarse hair, all the buns, including this one, looks bad :(

Um, no. This bun looks great! :D