PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/advice needed regarding updos and hair damage

cmnt831
April 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I noticed that after wearing updos that required either a hairstick or pins to hold it up, my ends would be all bent and eventually I started finding splits. Prior to finding LHC I wore my hair up in a giant claw clip and didn't have any splits that I could find. I also wore my hair down for a month this winter and didn't find any splits then, either. I did the updo challenge for a month and that's when I noticed the bent ends and splits.

Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to help it when you need to wear your hair up? I know bobby pins aren't the greatest thing for my hair and don't use them all that often, but I thought the hairstick was OK, until I noticed the bent ends. Braids seem to be fine, since I use no damage elastics, but I like a little variety, too. :) Any ideas? Maybe I'm doing something wrong regarding the hairsticks?

Thanks!

Fencai
April 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
well, I don't personally have this issue, but it sounds to me, rather than the problem being the hair stick, it could be how you are twisting/anchoring/tucking in the ends. If you are twisting too tightly, or just mashing them in, I could see this happening.
Try a little coconut oil on the ends before you secure them into the rest of the do.
It may help! Just my :twocents:

Alcenaia
April 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think Fencai is on the right track. I would also suggest checking out the Equilibrium Bun. Doubling the length of the hair over itself like that bun does tucks in the ends very protectively. You can start most buns from an equilibrium fold, too. Good luck! :flower:

Themyst
April 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I tend to think that some hair is just more delicate than others. If I mess with mine too much (trying out different buns, wearing hair sticks, etc), I start finding more splits than usual.

cmnt831
April 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your replies. :flower:

Fencai, I am probably guilty of not being mindful enough of how I'm tucking the ends in. Oiling them sounds like a good idea regardless. :)

Alcenaia, thanks for the suggestion of the Equilibrium bun. I hadn't seen that one before.

Themyst, I do believe my hair is on the delicate side - not too bad - but I do have to be careful of it in seemingly normal situations. Have you found a certain way to wear your hair that minimizes damage to it?

ravenreed
April 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Braids damage my ends even with the no damage elastics. I find splits about 1 -2 inches from the ends of my hair that have to be from where the elastics sit. At night, I try to braid in a ribbon and use that to tie off my braids, but not so much during the day.

I also have been getting lots of bends in my hair and I am not sure what to do about it. Right now I just snip the bends along with splits, but I am not terribly happy about it. The Equilibrium Bun doesn't work for me, for some reason. It makes a rather unattractive bun compared to the others I do.

HintOfMint
April 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe braided buns would work. You could use an elastic to tie off the end of the braid and then use a hairstick to hold up the bun. You wouldn't be mashing, bending, or twisting any of the ends, as the stick would only use the braid lumps (for lack of a better term) to hold it up.

If you can wear it down for a month without splits, then can I just tell you how lucky you are? I love wearing my hair down but I can't do it too often otherwise I get a rash of splits from friction against my clothes. And they show up quite quickly too. Le sigh.

Themyst
April 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Themyst, I do believe my hair is on the delicate side - not too bad - but I do have to be careful of it in seemingly normal situations. Have you found a certain way to wear your hair that minimizes damage to it?

Hmmm... well, like ravenweed, I cannot tie my hair off with elastics, either. I think the simpler, the better. I usually wear my hair in a simple wraparound bun and secure it with a large hairclip in the back and two small ones in the front. It's not the prettiest, but it does me fine for now. Also, (and I'm writing this forgetting how long your hair is) I sometimes wear a crown braid with hair taping. Only on occasion though, as too much braiding damages my hair also. My hair is so delicate that I'm probably a candidate for BSL hair but it's just not in my blood. :p

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
In my experience, most bends are temporary. My ends get scrunched because no matter how carefully I wrap and secure my buns, they tend to sag and twist and the ends get wadded up and bent. Sometimes I wet my ends right after I let my hair down for the evening, and the bent or wadded-up look resolves.

cmnt831
April 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Braids damage my ends even with the no damage elastics. I find splits about 1 -2 inches from the ends of my hair that have to be from where the elastics sit. At night, I try to braid in a ribbon and use that to tie off my braids, but not so much during the day.

I also have been getting lots of bends in my hair and I am not sure what to do about it. Right now I just snip the bends along with splits, but I am not terribly happy about it. The Equilibrium Bun doesn't work for me, for some reason. It makes a rather unattractive bun compared to the others I do.

I've been worried a bit about my hair using regular elastics (the no metal kind). So far the only damage I find with using elastics is that some hair gets tangled and falls out, but I don't know if it's shed hair or actually pulled out by the elastic. I haven't snipped any bends yet, just the splits, so far. Maybe I should pay better attention to what the elastics are doing....

Maybe braided buns would work. You could use an elastic to tie off the end of the braid and then use a hairstick to hold up the bun. You wouldn't be mashing, bending, or twisting any of the ends, as the stick would only use the braid lumps (for lack of a better term) to hold it up.

If you can wear it down for a month without splits, then can I just tell you how lucky you are? I love wearing my hair down but I can't do it too often otherwise I get a rash of splits from friction against my clothes. And they show up quite quickly too. Le sigh.

Hmmm, I only use natural fiber blouses and shirts (I don't know if that helps or not) and I'm very careful about pulling my hair to the front if I'm sitting in a high-backed chair. I'm more worried about the wind causing it problems, so I put it up then, but then I get bends and splits....

I'll have to try the braided buns and see how that goes. :)

Hmmm... well, like ravenweed, I cannot tie my hair off with elastics, either. I think the simpler, the better. I usually wear my hair in a simple wraparound bun and secure it with a large hairclip in the back and two small ones in the front. It's not the prettiest, but it does me fine for now. Also, (and I'm writing this forgetting how long your hair is) I sometimes wear a crown braid with hair taping. Only on occasion though, as too much braiding damages my hair also. My hair is so delicate that I'm probably a candidate for BSL hair but it's just not in my blood. :p

Heehee, my parents have always thought I was a candidate for pixie cuts, but that's not in my blood, either. I'm married and they still suggest it to me and my husband. :p

Hairclips! I should look into that.... I have some no damage ones that I use for half ups that I really like.

In my experience, most bends are temporary. My ends get scrunched because no matter how carefully I wrap and secure my buns, they tend to sag and twist and the ends get wadded up and bent. Sometimes I wet my ends right after I let my hair down for the evening, and the bent or wadded-up look resolves.

I was afraid it was the bent ends that started the splits even though they went away the next day? I thought maybe the bend was the weak spot or something.

julliams
April 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I noticed exactly the same thing. I'm wondering if it's all the extra handling. When my hair is up I find I have to redo the style many times that day and I'm sure that all that fussing was not helping with splits.

I have to say though, I took out cones for 6 months and notices ALOT of splitting where I had had none before no-cones. I have gone back to a coney conditioner and I wear my hair out again like I used to to see if this will help.

I had to have a one inch trim to cut off most of the splits. i could have been the updos, it could have been the no-cones or it could simply have been because I had gone for 7 months without a trim.
I read a posting that bent ends were the start of splits and to cut them off when you S & D and I was noticing more and more.

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Speaking strictly from my own experience, the bent ends that indicate a weak spot are accompanied by a white dot or frayed-looking cuticle. If the bend is all you see, the hair is probably o.k. and just got scrunched up.

cmnt831
April 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I noticed exactly the same thing. I'm wondering if it's all the extra handling. When my hair is up I find I have to redo the style many times that day and I'm sure that all that fussing was not helping with splits.

I have to say though, I took out cones for 6 months and notices ALOT of splitting where I had had none before no-cones. I have gone back to a coney conditioner and I wear my hair out again like I used to to see if this will help.

I had to have a one inch trim to cut off most of the splits. i could have been the updos, it could have been the no-cones or it could simply have been because I had gone for 7 months without a trim.
I read a posting that bent ends were the start of splits and to cut them off when you S & D and I was noticing more and more.

I know that cones keep my ends soft and slippery and tangle-free, so maybe they were helping your ends. I don't use them anymore because they make my hair too straight and flat.

Speaking strictly from my own experience, the bent ends that indicate a weak spot are accompanied by a white dot or frayed-looking cuticle. If the bend is all you see, the hair is probably o.k. and just got scrunched up.

Ah, I have seen those bad ones sometimes and then I cut them. So far I've been resisting the urge to cut bends that don't look like they're damaged. I did notice they were gone the next day. :)

ravenreed
April 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I trim my bends that look like they won't go back to normal after wetting because if I leave them they like to grab the hair around them and make more tangles. My hair is so tangle prone!

TXbarbie
April 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Do you do the same bun everyday, or do you situate all of your buns in the same place on your head?

When I was younger I had very long hair and was a gymnast. I wore my hair in a high ponytail to the gym everyday, since that was the "style." After doing this for a few months, my stylist told me that I needed to start wearing my ponytails at different heights - I had started to "bald" and hairs were breaking where my high ponytail sat because of repeated stress to the area!

So just a thought since this was my issue with styling :flower:

cmnt831
April 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Do you do the same bun everyday, or do you situate all of your buns in the same place on your head?

When I was younger I had very long hair and was a gymnast. I wore my hair in a high ponytail to the gym everyday, since that was the "style." After doing this for a few months, my stylist told me that I needed to start wearing my ponytails at different heights - I had started to "bald" and hairs were breaking where my high ponytail sat because of repeated stress to the area!

So just a thought since this was my issue with styling :flower:

Oh, yes. I do generally put the bun in the same place. That is definitely something I need to look into not doing anymore. Oh, goodness - maybe that's the reason I see shorter hairs "frizzing" at that particular length.... Thanks for letting me know about your experience! That just made something very clear to me. :)