PDA

View Full Version : First Cassia - advice needed

Idun
April 7th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Finally I have found a dealer not too far from where I live : http://henna.no/
On saturday I will pick up the goods personally and save the cost of shipping. Which means 100 g of Cassia will be NOK 50 = $8.38. That is not bad. :) She can deliver amla, indigo and stuff too.

But now I have to do things right as I hate to do a lot of work for nothing.:rolleyes: The FAQ thread and much of the Cassia thread has been devoured.

My purpose is:
1. To strenghten hair, especially the previously dyed lenghts.
2. Get more shine
3. Obtain a golden tone if possible. I know my hair might be too dark, but it has taken dye quite well in the past.
4. Maybe make my virgin hair and the dyed hair appear more even.

Planned MO:
1. oil scalp and hair the night in advance
2. mix cassia and chamomile tea
3. next morning wash hair
4. adjust cassia-mix, add more tea and possibly....?
5. apply cassia-mix when hair is damp
6. wrap and wait for 2-3 hours
7. Rinse and wash first with conditioner, then shampoo
8. Do a heavy SMT
9. Rinse and ACV

Questions:
1. How much cassia should I go for the first time? Iīm thinking 300 g?
2. Iīm afraid of a dryness-disaster afterwards. That goes for both scalp and hair. To avoid that can I
a. add honey honey to the cassia-mix? I donīt mind if I get a lightening effect.
b. add aloe?
c. add some oil?
3. Iīm thinking I should not comb my hair at all till it is dry from the whole process?
4. If I add one tablespoon of henna, what will happen? (I have a sprinkle of silver as we call it at LHC)
5. Any clever device I should aquire in advance?

Hoping for som expert opinions here :)

redneckprincess
April 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I use a mix of SMT- (conditioner, honey & aloe vera gel) and just add in some cassia....
but thats when I do an only cassia treatment

Jeni
April 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM
1. How much cassia should I go for the first time? I´m thinking 300 g?

It's hard to say how much, it depends on how long/thick your hair is, how loose or thick your mix is and (for me at least) whether you apply damp or dry.

When I make a batch I use about a cup of cassia powder, a big heaping serving spoon full of fenugreek (more on that later), a few "glugs" of evoo and honey and enough warm water to make it like loose-ish cake batter.

I almost always have some leftover (unless I apply dry) which I freeze for next time. My hair is about 29-30" and ~2.75" circumference.

My opinion is that it is better to have too much and just freeze the left overs then not have enough.

2. I´m afraid of a dryness-disaster afterwards. That goes for both scalp and hair. To avoid that can I
a. add honey honey to the cassia-mix? I don´t mind if I get a lightening effect.
b. add aloe?
c. add some oil?
3. I´m thinking I should not comb my hair at all till it is dry from the whole process?
4. If I add one tablespoon of henna, what will happen? (I have a sprinkle of silver as we call it at LHC)
5. Any clever device I should acquire in advance?

My hair is always kind of dry and weird for a couple days after no matter what I do but I have been able to minimize it.

Like I said above I add evoo, honey and fenugreek to help with moisture and slip. Fenugreek (no idea what it would be called there) is a powder that smells like maple syrup/curry and seems to help add moisture and slip to the cassia as well as help (somewhat) with the moldy cooked spinach smell of cassia.

I have added aloe before and never noticed much of a difference but then my hair doesn't seem to care for aloe. Some People add a squirt or more of conditioner to their mix for moisture and to help with the smell.

I have no idea what adding a tblspoon of henna to your cassia will do for your "sprinkle of silver". What color is your hair? I would guess that small amount of henna added to cassia probably wont do much if anything *BUT* I guarantee nothing and if you are worried I suggest a strand test (especially if your hair is light).

Can't think of any clever device...It takes some practise to figure out the best way to apply and rinse this stuff out. What works best for me is to strip down, hop into the shower either rinse my hair off or wash it, flip my head over so my hair is hanging down and just start grabbing mud and pushing/squishing it into my scalp and roots until covered. When that top of my head is covered I start covering my length. My hair usually starts to form a big dread lock so I carefully divide it up (the mud likes to just sit on the outside) and slowly make sure everything is covered.

When everything is thoroughly covered in mud I just twist the hair into a big loop on top of my head, squish it down and cover it with 2 plastic bags and an old wool knit cap.

Take your time rinsing and use lots of conditioner! Some people like to do a mermaid soak but I just find it easier to stand under the shower head (on high ) and slowly work the stuff out. Add conditioner, rinse, repeat until it is all gone. I actually will then shampoo my hair and do a final condition but its your choice.

If your worried about dryness you could try and SMT afterwards or heavy oil (if oils work for you, they don't for me).

Idun
April 8th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Thank you Jeni for a long and useful answer :blossom:

When I make a batch I use about a cup of cassia powder, a big heaping serving spoon full of fenugreek (more on that later), a few "glugs" of evoo and honey and enough warm water to make it like loose-ish cake batter.

In other words both honey and oil. Interesting! Calista said she felt cassia works better without adding oil. So there is (like always) a difference of opinion.

My opinion is that it is better to have too much and just freeze the left overs then not have enough.

Ok. good advice :)

My hair is always kind of dry and weird for a couple days after no matter what I do but I have been able to minimize it.

That makes me wonder whether it is actually worth it. If the hair gets very dry it tangles more and you might get damage from combing out knots :confused:.

Like I said above I add evoo, honey and fenugreek to help with moisture and slip. Fenugreek (no idea what it would be called there) is a powder that smells like maple syrup/curry and seems to help add moisture and slip to the cassia as well as help (somewhat) with the moldy cooked spinach smell of cassia.

I do have some fenugreek. But mine is not powdered. Guess Iīll have to crush it in a mortar?

I have added aloe before and never noticed much of a difference but then my hair doesn't seem to care for aloe. Some People add a squirt or more of conditioner to their mix for moisture and to help with the smell.

So aloe might be a waste in the mix? But at least it wonīt make the cassia work less effectively?

I have no idea what adding a tblspoon of henna to your cassia will do for your "sprinkle of silver". What color is your hair? I would guess that small amount of henna added to cassia probably wont do much if anything *BUT* I guarantee nothing and if you are worried I suggest a strand test (especially if your hair is light).

Well, this is my virgin hair in sunlight. My dyed lenghts have more red in them. I will wait with adding any henna. If cassia is just too much work I havenīt lost anything. But you canīt reverse henna, right?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3451&pictureid=68523

When everything is thoroughly covered in mud I just twist the hair into a big loop on top of my head, squish it down and cover it with 2 plastic bags and an old wool knit cap.

The wool knit cap is a good idea!

Take your time rinsing and use lots of conditioner! Some people like to do a mermaid soak but I just find it easier to stand under the shower head (on high ) and slowly work the stuff out. Add conditioner, rinse, repeat until it is all gone. I actually will then shampoo my hair and do a final condition but its your choice. If your worried about dryness you could try and SMT afterwards or heavy oil (if oils work for you, they don't for me).

And with all that ekstra conditioning you still get the dryness? I must say Iīm having some doubts now. :undecided

Idun
April 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I use a mix of SMT- (conditioner, honey & aloe vera gel) and just add in some cassia....
but thats when I do an only cassia treatment

Thank you redneckprincess for sharing :blossom:. Another vote then for adding conditioning stuff to the mix. Do you experience dryness afterwards?

redneckprincess
April 8th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Thank you redneckprincess for sharing :blossom:. Another vote then for adding conditioning stuff to the mix. Do you experience dryness afterwords?
nope...no dryness at all...just soft shiny hair ☺

Jeni
April 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Thank you Jeni for a long and useful answer :blossom:

Yea, I can be wordy...

In other words both honey and oil. Interesting! Calista said she felt cassia works better without adding oil. So there is (like always) a difference of opinion.

Everyone is different. SOme people feel they get better results from applying to damp hair, others to dry. Cassia means experimentation!

That makes me wonder whether it is actually worth it. If the hair gets very dry it tangles more and you might get damage from combing out knots :confused:.

I wouldn't call it very tangly it just is more so then normal. I usually say that my hair is having a temper tantrum. For me cassia is definitely worth it!

I do have some fenugreek. But mine is not powdered. Guess Iīll have to crush it in a mortar?

I guess this would work, no idea

So aloe might be a waste in the mix? But at least it wonīt make the cassia work less effectively?

Eh, try it if you want. Cant hurt you really

Well, this is my virgin hair in sunlight. My dyed lengths have more red in them. I will wait with adding any henna. If cassia is just too much work I havenīt lost anything. But you canīt reverse henna, right?

Yes henna is permanent. That being said your hair is dark, already has some red in it and the amount your thinking of adding is small. Its up to you but I don't think the henna will change your color (no clue about your greys).

The wool knit cap is a good idea!

Stays better then a towel

And with all that extra conditioning you still get the dryness? I must say Iīm having some doubts now. :undecided

Like I said it isn't OMG dry just more prone to tanglyness then before. it last just a couple days then its back to feeling normal, only better. I should mention that not every one's likes Cassia, but I think it works for the majority of people. Try it you'll be fine. If you don't like it I doubt there will be any lasting damage.