PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is causing this?

StephanieB
April 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Okay, [former industrial water treatment plant chemist] hubby just suggested that he knows the problem I've been having with the damaged dry cruchy ends of my hair.

I have extremely oily hair. (if I don't wash every other day it's disgustingly greasy, although I often push washing off another few days for the sake of my ends, of my time, and of my sanity) My hair is super-baby-fine, pretty thin, and breaks easily. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and that affects my hair (and my nails and my skin).

But the last inch or so of my hair (a few long layers) is rather dry and crunchy and there is some damage (splits) - even though I do nothing which should be damaging my hair and bit the bullet nearly two months ago and had a 2 1/2-inch trim to remove old chemical damage from former perming and stripping and coloring.

I use a Diva Darling towel... I own several. I pat gently, putting the DD microfiber up to my hair; I don't rub at all. Nor do I twist my length up in it. Plop and pat, or pat only, or loosely drape the towel over my head.

I often wash with my hair upside-down in a over-large sink bowl... I must do water-only quick-in/quick-out cool water showers, especially in warm weather months, daily, and use soap (even gentle soaps for sensitive skin) only once or twice a week. Issues due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. But I never comb out my wet hair roughly - only the minimal amount to detangle, an that extremely slowly/gently/carefully.

I use only my own fingers (weak grip, thanks to EDS), and massage my scalp carefully so as not to tangle my wet hair, when washing it. When I rinse, I don't rub, I just let the water run through it for a long time, only repeatedly separating sections of my hair with my fingers under the running water.

I never use heat to dry my hair; it always drips dry in natural air. After blotting excess water out with the DD, I just air dry it.

I don't use hot rollers, curlers, pins, or any other styling tools. I rarely use a BBB, and only when I need to distribute the oiliness throughout my hairr ather than wash it. I use my BBB very gently and carefully, the rare occasion when I do use it. I use my brush so infrequently that I always have to wash it before using it, to wash out the inch of dust accumulated on it.

All of the hair toys I have are hair-friendly, and I'm careful with them. Hair sticks (wooden and plastic), hair forks (wooden, plasticc, metal - but with no seams or points and no roughness), claw clips (but never too close to my scalp), elastic with no metal, scrunchies, Amish hair pins, and Ficcare and Fakkare clips and other jaw clips that don't pull... Sock 'rat' for buns, and other rats of hair or of foam, occasionally.

I keep my hair up in protective styles (which I change often) almost all the time. And I keep changing where my hair is bunches, clipped, pinned, twisted, etc - to avoid breakage in one place. I never go out with my hair loose, and usually only wear it completely down when letting it dry or when sleeping. Sometimes I can wear a silky pocket bonnet for long hair length to sleep - but 8 times out of 10, I hate it so much that I apparently take it off in my sleep..... and I even obssessively fold it up neatly and place it on my nightstand - in my sleep! (talk about my OCD! lol) <--- I am compelled to that point... so I must really have a deep-seated dislike (hatred?) of having any kind of bonnet or scarf or cap on my head!

I sleep on a satin-pillowcased buckwheat hull pillow.

I use only one main shampoo and conditioner (and very few back-up 'poos and condishs for occasionaly switches) that my hair likes: Verseo Hair Plus / back-up Organix in a few 'flavors'.

I use ACV rinses (distilled white vinegar in a pinch) every couple to few washes, which my hair also really likes. My scalp also really likes the vinegar - stops scalp itching. (damn EDS again)

I only put a dab of clear silicone product - a gel - into the very ends... and only occasionally, when I can't otherwise control the dry frizzy flyaways and splits any other way. My hair likes 'cones - so that's not the problem. (I've tried going cone-free, once, for months and months - and my hair hated every day of being 'cone-free, hated it terribly!)

My hair is silky-smooth and whisper-soft like a baby's, from roots all the way down my length, until just the last inch of ends. That last inch of ends is rougher... although still feels pretty soft when compared to most people's hair... but the splits show, and it's always frizzy, and it's very dry - and a bit crunchy to the feel.

So, given that I'm so obsessively/compulsively careful to take such good care of my hair, given that I'm insane (literally) about this -- WHY are mu ends so darn dry?!

And what can I do about it?

I don't want to just cut another inch off... If I keep on cutting my hair, I will be cutting it at a rate roughly 5 or 6 times faster than it grows!!
After I cut the last time (to remove the 2 inches of dead, damaged hair from old abuse - perms, stripping, dying, blow-frying), my hair ends were nice, felt sfot, and were not dry or split. Now, I realize that one might expect to incur some splits - and I haven't got a lot of splits - but why are my ends so dry again so soon after a blunt cut???

Hubby's suggestion (remember the first line of this post): Vinegar is acidic enough that I may be removing natural protein from my ends with the ACV rinses. He suggested that, while my scalp and roots might need the vinegar's acid (and maybe even the top few inches of my hair) - that the ends might be getting too much of it. He suggests that I should try coating my hair's length (or the last several inches of it, at least) with something protective against the vinegar... like extra conditioner... or, he suggested, lanolin. Something I can rinse out after the vinegar is already rinsed out. Kinda like a CWC, only this being a WCCV (wash|condition|rinse-and-more-conditioner-left-in-the-ends|vinegar|rinse).

What do you all think? Help!

Anje
April 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
It could be that the vinegar's a little harsh for your ends. I would investigate the more likely culprits, though: buildup, and too much protein/not enough moisture.

It seems to me that you don't have to clarify your scalp if you think it might react to an SLS shampoo. After that, try at least soaking the ends in something like SMT mix without protein. Doing that repeatedly seems effective for me when my hair freaks out about protein exposure, and seems to restore the balance.

If that doesn't work, give adding a drop or two of conditioner to your vinegar rinse a try. If your hair and scalp don't mind it, you could not even rinse it out. Consider it a leave-in conditioner. And let us know if that solves the problem!

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Do you really need the vinegar? Most shampoo/conditioner products are already pH balanced on the acid side, so you don't need it to restore pH.

I hate vinegar; it makes my hair crazy fly-away.

Autumnberry
April 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
It could be that the vinegar's a little harsh for your ends. I would investigate the more likely culprits, though: buildup, and too much protein/not enough moisture.

I have the same hair type--very, very oily scalp and baby fine hair with a little wave. (I find it extremely difficult to grow my hair long because of breakage. :() I did find that if I do ACV rinses for a few days (1 tablespoon per 1/2 liter of tap water), my ends feel crunchier and drier than usual. It's a shame, because it makes the length look very shiny, but perhaps I'm using too strong a concentration of ACV. So perhaps you could dilute the ACV a bit more, as others have had luck with that modification. Even though my hair is weighed down easily with conditioner, it does make the ends softer and less prone to ripping during brushing and combing. One product duo that I like for my ends (and makes the length shiny) is Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo along with the matching conditioner. Best of luck!

Autumnberry
April 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Do you really need the vinegar? Most shampoo/conditioner products are already pH balanced on the acid side, so you don't need it to restore pH.

I hate vinegar; it makes my hair crazy fly-away.

sorry to highjack this thread, but spidermom, your hair color is fabulous!

YesitsReal
April 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have a similar hair type, though mine isn't as thin as yours; I also have an inexplicable crunchy-ends problem. I am nowhere near as careful as you are, however! My problem might come from all my vinegar rinses--my scalp loves acid, as I have seborrheic dermatitis, and the acid environment is unfriendly to the yeasties. I have yet to find a treatment that both my hair and scalp really like.

I will be watching this thread to see if you find a solution to your problem. You might help me!

StephanieB
April 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
sorry to highjack this thread, but spidermom, your hair color is fabulous!
And I hate to further hijack my own thread, but.....
OMG! Spidermom!! I didn't recognize you until Autumnberry said this! lol
Your color is DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!!!

I don't want to change products, since my hair is predominantly happy with what I'm using. Seems silly to change for the last inch of my hair ends...

But since everyone seems to suspect the vinegar... and it really makes my length shiny and super-soft and my roots less oily and my scalp less itchy - maybe I ought to try diluting it with... dunno... plain water?
Maybe I should try 1 part water into two parts vinegar, and see if that helps the situation any?

Whatever this problem is - doesn't seem to affect 99.999% of my hair... just the last inch of ends. The problem isn't worsening, either. It just is.

StephanieB
April 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
My problem might come from all my vinegar rinses--my scalp loves acid, as I have seborrheic dermatitis, and the acid environment is unfriendly to the yeasties.

I will be watching this thread to see if you find a solution to your problem. You might help me!
Yeah, I deliberately refrained from mentioning my yeast issues... *shudder* but I suffer from chronic seriously debilitating terrible systemic-wide yeast infections. and the cider vinegar does a lot to help combat yeast problems. (eh - more places than just my scalp)*

*(run your mouse cursor over the following to highlight it so you can read it ---> I'm highly unlikely to mention this ever again online -- but I have tried everything for the 'personal' yeast problem, including the disgustingly messy diluted yogurt douches whcih take 10 or 15 times longer to clean up after than the 15 minutes to introduce and use. Diluted ACV or same-strength diluted distilled white vinegar douches work better. And I take the highest-marketed dose of probiotics known, and three times the suggested dosage - as per doctor's orders - daily... and still I suffer, and am usually hospitalized for this a couple to few times per spring-summer-fall 7 month period annually. Last August/September, I attmpted suicide for the 5th time, and this one time solely due to the misery of this chronic yeast torture... usually it's because of severe chronic clinical depression... but this time the yeast infection suffering prompted the suicide attempt. The pain of the raw open skin lesions combined with the chafing (over large portions of my body/ under boobs, in armpits, thigh-pelvic creases, insides of elbows and knees, between fingers, vaginally, orally, rectally, deep in my throat), no matter what I treated it with, was just too much to tolerate any longer. I just couldn't stand it any more. Ugh!!

vindo
April 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM
StephanieB please get to a Doctor about your health issues at all cost, if you can a counselor too that can help you with any other problems...you can be helped I'm sure.
(If you don't have insurance try free clinics)

I hope you will be better soon!

walterSCAN
April 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm, if it's mostly for your scalp that you like the vinegar, if diluting doesn't help with the crunchy ends, you might consider keeping your length out of the way somehow and only using the vinegar as a scalp rinse. HTH, and hope you get something figured out!